Chapter 1

Hotel Euthanasia

“Jiji, what happened back there?” Min asked as she quickly walked in Café Mango where Jiyeong was calmly seated at the window seat.

“Nothing,” she nonchalantly replied as she sipped her vanilla iced coffee. “Come sit down.”

Min stared at her too calm friend and placed a hand on Jiyeong’s forehead. “Do you have a fever?”

Jiyeong pushed Min’s hand away, “I’m not sick,” Jiyeong assured. “Sit down.” As Min sat down hesitantly, Jiyeong spoke up once again. “I’m going to miss school for a while.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m going to go on a vacation for a bit.” Jiyeong took another sip, “For two weeks.”

“Why are you taking a vacation so sudden? Summer break is almost here, so why can’t you wait ‘till then?” Min asked as she stared at her friend in shock.

Jiyeong stared out the window and noticed that the weather had changed from the cold, snowy winter to a bright, warm spring. Noticing the bystanders walking by with less clothing, she realized what her friend said was true. “I just,” she started as she smiled at the young couple playing with their toddler, “I need some time off to think.”

“But you always miss school.”

“And you’re acting like you don’t,” Jiyeong faced Min, “you’re going to have to miss school to prepare for Miss A’s new album. When you’re not at school, I’m not at school. I’ll probably be back by the time you finish recording.”

“Recording an album takes months,” Min replied in a matter-of-fact tone.

Jiyeong threw her hands up in the air, “I am so sorry, by the time I come back, you’re still gone.” She smiled, “happy?”

“Very.”

“Wait, aren’t you the dancer of Miss A?” Jiyeong asked as Min’s Americano was delivered to her.

“Yeah, what’s wrong with that?”

“If you’re the dancer, why are you producing a song? Shouldn’t the lead or main singer produce a song? Shouldn’t you produce a dance or something?”

“Aren’t you a music student?” Min retorted with a wide smile, “Why do you need time off to think?”

“Touché, Min. Touché.” Jiyeong laughed. “I’ll be sure to get you the worst souvenir I can find.”

--

“Airi-sshi, can you please move your arm to the left a bit?”

Airi shifted her arm the way the photographer had asked and stared at the camera. It was 8 A.M. and Airi was at another photo shoot. The concept of it was mysterious, enchanting, and strong; all of which was used to describe Airi. She was in a long black chiffon dress that gently hugged her body, hair that was lightly curled, and make up done with smoky black eyes and pink lips. She was posed on a podium with her right leg crossed over the other and arm resting on the taller podium next to her.

“Airi-sshi, stare at the camera like you’re staring into everyone’s soul,” the photographer said. He was moving around the set to find an angle that was better than the one before. “Yes, like that!” He exclaimed as Airi stared at the camera click after click with a deep, mesmerizing stare.

“Great, perfect, wonderful!” The photographer sang every single compliment he could find, “Airi-sshi, you are a wonderful model!”

Airi bowed her head and before the photographer could grab her hand to shake, Manager Kim came and wrapped her arm around Airi’s shoulders. “Mr.Im, we have to leave right now so Airi can go to her other schedule.”

Mr. Im frowned that his best model had to leave so soon. “Oh, alright. I’ll be sure to call you next time when I’m shooting this type of concept, alright? You’re the first model I have ever seen with a brown right eye and golden left eye!”

Manager Kim and Airi bowed and Airi was taken to the fitting room to change back into her street clothes. “You did wonderful, Airi!” Manager Kim cooed as she handed Airi her clothes.

Airi nodded her head and took the dress off and handed it back to her manager and put her clothes. ‘This make up is going to be a pain to take off tonight.’

“Are you ready?” Manager Kim asked as Airi nodded. “Let’s go, shall we?”

They walked to the car and as they settled inside, Manager Kim let out a loud sigh. “I can’t believe they were about to make you wear contacts!”

‘I don’t blame them for it. I mean my eyes freak everyone out.’

“Your eyes are the reason why these photo shoots are so successful!” Manager Kim started the engine and began driving out of the parking lot. “If the next job asks you to wear contacts, I’m going to cancel it without a second thought!”

“I’m going to take the next two weeks off, okay?” Airi said. Manager Kim stared at Airi in shock as that was the longest thing Airi has ever said in months. “I’m going to go on a vacation.”

“We have a photo shoot and press conference scheduled for the 15th of April, are you sure?”

“Yes.”

--

Laoshi,” the students greeted Annabelle as she walked through the corridors of the school. Annabelle gave a small smile at the students and continued to walk into the teachers’ lounge.

“Lee, please come over here.” Ms. Chen asked as she motioned her hands. “Hurry.”

“What is it, Ms. Chen?” Annabelle asked in the calmest way as possible. “Is there a problem?”

“I heard from countless students that you are having your own audition for your students. The one where you will give them the okay whether or not they could audition.”

‘Tsk, those kids probably complained like crazy. Note to self: make them run two miles later.’ Annabelle retained her smile, “Yes, is that a problem?”

“Your method is completely unethical; you should not be stopping these students from auditioning for the school play because you feel as if it’s in your hands to judge whether or not they can be chosen.”

“With all due respect, Ms. Chen,” Annabelle stood up straighter than usual, “it is in my hands. They are my students and I can do whatever I want with them. I don’t want these kids who are nowhere near ready enough to be in a play fall and burn on stage. They are my students, and if they fail, I fail.” Annabelle cleared and walked towards the door before Ms. Chen could speak. “Good day, Ms. Chen.”

As Annabelle walked out the door, she smiled victoriously. ‘No wonder she’s been divorced seven times.’

Walking into her class, she walked in with a big smile. “Good morning, kids.” She greeted as the students stared at each other in horror.

“, she’s in a bad mood.”

“What the hell did you guys do?”

“I heard there were some students in this class that complained about my auditions,” Annabelle said as she walked back and forth with her hands linked behind her back. “As your teacher, I feel upset that you all don’t like my methods of teaching.” She stopped and sighed, “two miles.”

The students mumbled their groans and complaints at their teacher’s command.

“Now.” Annabelle smiled wider, “You all have fifteen minutes.”

The students continued to complain, but went out anyways. They knew that they had to pick between dying from running two miles or dying in their teacher’s hand. They knew that Annabelle class was the definition of hell.

“Ugh, I need a break.” Annabelle groaned as she took a seat. “Maybe I will go on that vacation.”

--

‘Jeju for two weeks?’ Sooyeon asked herself as she walked down the clear path of the nearby park. ‘That means I’m going to have to close down the café for a bit.’

Carrying a book on the history of classical music, Sooyeon look a seat on one of the free benches in the area. She breathed in the fresh smell of spring and noticed her surroundings. Blooming flowers, warm air, healthy trees, what else could help this environment become even more beautiful?

Sooyeon noticed a young family of four sitting across from her. The mother and father could not be older than twenty-eight and they had two children; the boy was five and the girl was four. Sooyeon smiled softly as she watched the family play together. ‘Has it really been this long?’ She asked herself as she felt tears threatening to fall.

Excuse me,” a voice next to her asked in a foreign language. “Can you help me?

‘Japanese?’ Sooyeon looked to see a young girl who was no older than nineteen standing in next to her. “How may I help you?” Sooyeon asked.

“You speak Japanese as well? My goodness, you’re the first person I’ve met that could!” She jumped in glee. “I’m a little lost and I was wondering if you could help me find where to go.

Sooyeon nodded and looked at the map that was in the girl’s hands. “Where do you need to go?

I need to find this company here in Seoul. I think it was called Lee Corporations?” She placed her finger to her lip. “Or was it Kim Corporations…?”

Han Corporations?” Sooyeon asked as the girl nodded. Sooyeon told the girl the directions to where the building was located.

After the girl thankfully thanked Sooyeon, the two parted ways. As Sooyeon opened her book, she realized she made a huge mistake. ‘Wait, I think I gave her directions to Lee Technology!’  Sooyeon stood up and turned to see if she was still in sight, but of course, she was already long gone. ‘Oh, no, what if she never finds the company and she gets hurt? Han Corps is on the other side of Seoul!’

Sooyeon took a seat again and let out a loud sigh. ‘I didn’t even remember that my directions skills are horrible. How could I have given her the directions?’

Looking up at the sky, she noticed the cloudless blue sky. ‘Maybe I really do need this vacation.’ Taking her iPod out, she popped the headphones over her ears and closed her eyes as she listened to her favorite melody.

‘I guess it couldn’t hurt.’

--

“You’re going to go on the trip, right?” Woosung asked his sister for the thousandth time. “Right?”

Minjung groaned, “Yes, for the millionth time, yes, I am going to go on the trip!” Sipping her caramel macchiato, she let out a loud sigh.

“What’s wrong?” Woosung asked.

“Nothing; it’s just that I’m worried how you will be if I left you with her.” She turned to face him, “I mean, how will I relax when my baby brother is in the same room as the devil?”

“You’re only thirty minutes older than me!” Woosung whined as he pouted, “I am not your baby brother!”

Minjung pinched Woosung’s right cheek and started speaking in a baby-like tone. “Aigo, is the little baby upset?”

“Noona!”

Letting out a loud laugh and clapping her hands, the last thing she would worry about were the stares of walking bystanders. “Fine, fine, I’ll stop making fun of you!”

Rubbing his cheek, Woosung pouted from the attention he was getting from everyone around, “Can we go now? People are staring.”

“What’s wrong with people staring? It just means that we’re interesting enough to get their attention.” Minjung smiled and threw away her now empty coffee cup.

“How are your classes?” Woosung asked.

“A little bit hard since I’m cramming for the exam tomorrow,” Minjung linked her arms with Woosung’s, “but it’s going to be hard since you’re not letting me study.”

“How am I not letting you study? You chose to come with me to the market!”

“Who’s the one making me go on a two week long vacation? For two weeks, I won’t be able to see you.”

“Noona, people are going to think we’re a couple.” Woosung smiled as he noticed the older men and women staring at the two.

“Woosung-ah, you’re not allowed to date until you’re married.” Minjung had a wide teasing smile, “Noona will be your girlfriend until I pick the right girl for you to marry.”

“What are you talking about? If I don’t date, how can I get married?”

“Who do you want? Ha Ji Won? Shin Min Ah? Song Hye Kyo? Hyun Bin? Won Bin?”

==
Author’s Corner -
You’ve all probably noticed, but I have this really odd updating schedule. xD The reason as to why that’s that is because it’s either a) I don’t have time to turn my computer on, or b) I’m just really lazy and have no motivation to write anything.
I think it gets really obvious when I don't have the inspiration because I always tend to write in a way that seems like I do just to get it over with. If I happen to not update in a while, don’t fret! I’m probably just sleeping on my bed and hopefully finding a way to incorporate all my thoughts into words. ^^