001

The arrangement

Shuhua sighed frustrated as she looked at her phone "!" She closed her phone the negative three dollars burned into her mind. She turned around putting back the water she had grabbed from the shelf. "I can't even afford water good to go Shuhua... Maybe I can go to Yuqi's for dinner?" She thinks to herself as she pulls out her phone to text her cousin. 

 

"Yeah no don't worry wooks I love you too. Have fun with Minnie unnie." She looks down with tears in her eyes as she walks home. "It'll be fine you were gonna try to lose a few pounds anyway right?" She gives herself a pep talk. She walked into her building not paying attention as she was almost to her apartment. In her despair she didn't hear a door open and didn't realize anyone had heard her or cared till she felt a hand pull her into an apartment by the back of her shirt. 

 

She looked up confused only to be met with the icy cold stare of her neighbor and friend Jeon Soyeon. "Oh hey unnie. You know you could've just said something I would've come here. Although I think Soojin unnie wouldn't take to kindly to our affair." She joked to appease the tension. Suddenly the shorter woman was smirking inexplicably. That is til Shuhua felt a presence behind her. "Yeh Shuhua don't even joke like that." Shuhua turned wide eyed looking at Soojin. "O-Oh Unnie. You're looking beautifully scary today. I promise I was only joking."

 

Soojin rolled her eyes. "Of course you were. I know she wouldn't do that. We've all noticed the way she looks at me like a lovesick dork. Who needs natural confidence when you've got someone like her around to make you feel beautiful." She winked at Soyeon who was smiling proudly at the thought of how she made Soojin feel. It meant she was doing her job right. "Go get cleaned up for dinner. I'm sure you've been playing with animals all day." 

 

Shuhua looked confused. "Oh I was going to do home unnie. You don't have t-" Soyeon interrupted. "Cut the crap Yeh Shuhua our window was open we heard you now go get cleaned up." Shuhua looked down ashamed. "B-but unnies I can't pay you back i-" Soojin made a disappointed clicking noise. "Did we ask you to? Besides you can just clean the dishes once we're done and that will be plenty. Don't be scared to let us help you okay? We've been in your shoes. Now hurry dinner is almost ready." Shuhua hugged the couple tightly as they both looked displeased at the action. "Shuhua you're crushing me." Soyeon complained. 

 

Eventually the three were sat down at the dining table. "So anything interesting at work today?" Soojin asked. Shuhua quickly swallowed wiping a bit. "We had someone bring in a Huge turtle today. Her name was Frank. Turns out they didn't realize She was actually a girl til she laid eggs. Of course they weren't expecting them so we had to do a wellness check on Frankie and the eggs. They were fine. On a related note do you want a pet turtle?" Soyeon looked at Soojin she did indeed want a pet turtle. "No." Soojin said In a very final voice knowing exactly what her finance was thinking. 

 

They continued to chat through dinner. "So Shuhua have you thought about getting a second job or a roommate?" Soojin asked. "I had a roommate for a while but she was noisy and I couldn't study. And I'm kind of in the same boat with the second job thing. I just wish there could be a way to make a little extra money to support myself without risking my studies. I'm so close to graduating. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to move all the way here from home just cause my cousin was here." She said as if it were a sudden realization. 

 

"My cousin was In a similar predicament. You remember Somi she went out and found a sugar mama. She doesn't even have to have a job anymore she just focuses on her uni work and spends time with this woman. From what she says it's a pretty sweet gig." Shuhua laughed a bit. "I would make a terrible sugar baby." Soojin nodded. "Yeah you would. But maybe there's someone into that." Soojin had a mischievous look in her eye. 

 

And just like that the next night Shuhua was standing outside of a nice restaurant in a pretty green dress nervously fixing it. "I shouldn't have let those two talk me into this what am I thinking?" She looked back at the restaurant wondering if she had time to leave before her 'Date' got there. "Are you Shuhua?" Damnit. "That's me. And you are Miyeon-shi?" The woman smiled and nodded. "You look beautiful don't be so nervous. And don't feel pressured to go through with this blind date if you don't want to." Miyeon held the door open and smiled at her gently. Her way of assuring the younger woman she didn't want to pressure her. 

 

Shuhua looked at her kind eyes and felt her nerves disapate just a bit. She walked in. "Thank you." She bowed to them older woman. 

 

As soon as they were seated they began to look at the menu. 'Everything here is so expensive. I know she said she'd pay but i-' "Stop worrying and eat what you want. I got this remember? If we're gonna have an arrangement you've got to trust me at least a little bit." Shuhua let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. "I'm sorry I've just never done this before." Miyeon smiled at her. "Neither have I. We'll figure it out together okay? The waiter is coming did you see what you want?" Shuhua pointed to a pasta dish shyly. "C-can I get a small order of this?" Miyeon looked at it and hummed. "No you're getting at least a medium." She hadn't been told much but she did recognize the girls name from overhearing conversations. So she knew Shuhua was struggling and wanted to make sure the girl would have leftovers for the next day. 

 

Miyeon ordered for them and thanked the waiter before looking at Shuhua. "So who's first you or me?" Shuhua looked confused. Miyeon clarified. "Who gets the first question? We should ask eachother questions to get to know eachother." Shuhua nodded thoughtfully. "Ask away." Miyeon smiled. "What course are you taking in Uni?" She propped her head up on her arm looking at the younger woman intriguingly laying her know she had her full undivided attention. "Well I am on the veterinary track. If all goes well within the next year you'll be able to call me Doctor Yeh. What do you do for a job unnie?" Miyeon smiled. "Oh I'm Soojins boss." Shuhua nearly choked on the tea she had been sipping. 

 

Miyeon stood up gently patting the younger womans back to help her. "Shuhua are you okay?" She asked genuinely as she took her own napkin gently wiping the woman's mouth for her. A very thoughtful gesture. "Y-yes thank you unnie. I was just surprised. I mean I'm on a date with Soojins boss. Like big boss? CEO boss?" Miyeon chuckled. "Well not that high up. But my dad is the CEO. I've still got a lot of work to do before taking over. And Soojin is the best assistant I've ever had. She's a little bossy but you know sometimes I need that kick in the ." She sat back down adjusting her napkin again. Shuhua looked at her shyly. 

 

They asked more questions until their dinner was brought to them. "So you really hid from her?" Shuhua asked laughing from the story she was just told. "Of course. Soyeon can be scary. Especially when she thought I was trying to hit on her fiancee." Shuhua laughed more. "Maybe next time you should consider being careful who or what you're talking to when she can hear you." Miyeon pouted adorably. "It was so cute though and I still can't believe she didn't let me keep him." She referred to a cat from the story. 

 

They enjoyed each other's company. without realizing they had been sitting there talking well after finishing their meal. Miyeons watch began to vibrate indicating she had a call coming in. She looked at it making sure it wasn't important before swiping it away as she thought it was impolite to answer the phone at the table. "Oh my. It's getting pretty late we should head out. Wait by the door for me?" She asked. Shuhua nodded and smiled. "Of course." They parted ways as Miyeon went to pay and Shuhua went to wait out front. 

 

After a few moments Miyeon came out digging into her pocket and offering Shuhua a peppermint. The younger woman smiled. "Thank you." She opened the sweet treat and put it in . "So Miss Yeh. Would you like to talk here? or I can take you home first and we can maybe talk in the car. Or in your apartment I'd that's fine with you. But you certainly do not have to invite me into your space." She made it clear that she wasn't under any pressure. 

 

Shuhua blushed. "You don't have to take me home I can walk. You already paid for dinner." Miyeon hummed. "Nonsense. What kind of person would I be to let a beautiful woman walk home on a night like this. Someone might try to take advantage of you and I wouldn't forgive myself." Shuhua blushed a bit. "T-then we can talk at my apartment." Miyeon smiled and nodded offering her arm for Shuhua to hold as so she could lead the way to her car. 

 

Note: It's my 7 year anniversary on this site. I know I haven't been a consistent writer but I've definitely been a consistent reader so the time has flown by fast.