when our eyes met.

the fall of the season.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


I remembered I was 7 years old when I learned about soulmates and how you will meet them. I was told that soulmate is the one fated for you. They will love you unconditionally- as you will to them. They will be staying by your side no matter what happens.

'Mom, how did you meet Dad?'

"Minjeong," my mom started and carried me to her lap, making me sit there. "Before you meet your soulmate, that night you will dream about them and how you will meet them. I met your father at Christmas. I dreamt about snow, the fountain, and his blurry face. I know I'll meet him at the place where I will meet your grandparents. Then our eyes meet, everything became clear. My dream turned into a reality. He was in front of me. He's not a dream. He's real."

She told me more about how Dad still pursued her despite knowing they are destined to be together. "I told your father to stop courting me but he insisted. He said he wanted to do those things because I deserved it. And of course, I let him. I love your father even more as time goes on."

Love.

Love is all written on my mother's face.

I listened to my mother's interesting story. It intrigues me. Love intrigues me. My parents' love toward each other is beautiful and I have gotten an idea that love is indeed beautiful

-- and painful.

Mom also says that there are times where fate challenges them. Even so, they still find themselves in each other's arms.

- Because it is where they belong.

I have fallen in love with the idea of meeting my soulmate at the right time. I can't help but feel excited and curious. For how long do I have to meet them? For how long do I have to wait? Are they also waiting? A lot of questions in my head yet even just a single answer, there is none.

---

As time goes by, there are changes in this soulmate's dream. Some people stopped believing and fall in love with the one they're not destined to be with. I also encountered people being left behind after their partner left them for their soulmate.

Despair. Hatred. Agony.

Some people couldn't handle the pain of having their soulmate leave them - they fell into their agony.
They have succumbed to the darkness.

And of course, despite the dark side of this soulmate dream. I discovered people who find their soulmates and live their lives happily.

Everyday.

Every single day I have to experience this.

"I love you both but can you stop flirting? I'm studying." I asked the lovers across me being so disgustingly cute together.

"Are our baby Minjeong jealous?" Aeri asked. "Don't worry! You will be like this too, once you found your soulmate."

"Still no dream about them?" Ningning asked and I shook my head as I sighed. "Min, you should find your soulmate."

"How can I? if I haven't even gotten a dream about them? I'm completely clueless." I paused."And worried. What if they found someone else? And if they meet me, are they gonna choose me?"

"What I meant is, go travel and explore. You are always here at your condo or the library. How will you be able to find them?"

My introvert is panicking at the thought of going outside.

"Give it a try, Minjeong. You've always wanted to meet them." Aeri answered.

I guess they're right. Nothing would happen if I remain in my comfort zone.

Alright, I guess I'll go visit the Han River first.

-----

first dream.

I have felt my body shiver.
I am feeling various emotions with these images in my head that I could somehow understand.

Happiness. Excitement. Nervous.

After so many years of waiting, I have finally experienced dreaming about

- her.

My soulmate.

Han River.
Coffee date.
A blurry image of her.

Yet I could already see how beautiful God gave me. I may not see her face clearly for tonight but tomorrow,

Tomorrow, I'll be able to meet her.

--

Feeling giddy inside, I'm currently tapping my feet to the ground as I'm sitting at the bench chair I found in Han River.

I've been here for like half of an hour. Almost want to throw up due to the nervousness I'm feeling. As soon as I woke up, I had to do things quicker than usual. Calling the couple and informing them about this dream of mine made them excited, but of course, not as excited as I am.

'Gi, Ning! I finally have it!' I told them excitedly.

'The what?'

'The dream! I dreamt of Han River, a coffee date, and her. I dreamt of us together! I'm preparing to leave so I can meet her already. I'm just updating you guys since I am really excited about this and I can't think straight.'

'You're not straight.' Aeri said. I quickly responded, 'I know.'

'OMG! Minjeong, I'm so happy!' Ning exclaimed. 'Tell us the details once you head home, okay? Enjoy!'

'Take care, Min. Don't be nervous. Just be yourself, alright?'

'I will'

A smile formed on my lips as I thought of having her here. What should I tell her first? My name? Yep, definitely.

'Hi, I'm Kim Minjeong'

Was it too simple?

'Fancy meeting you, I'm Kim Minjeong'

Too formal?

'Kim Minjeong, your soulmate'

Oh god, I'm anxious!

Never mind, I'll say whatever comes out of my mouth!

1 hour.

2 hours.

3 hours.

And 4 hours had passed, but no sign of her.

I leaned my back to the bench chair, defeated and disappointed

But then was I wrong? Was it really here in Han River? Or was it at the coffee shop? Maybe I assumed that we'll meet here but she's waiting at the coffee shop. Right?

I stood and left Han River. My feet brought me to the nearest coffee shop, the coffee shop that was similar to the one in my dream. I pushed the door, making the bell at the top chime. Warmth and the aroma of the brewing coffee welcomed me. The staff welcomed. They are all friendly.

My eyes roamed around the corner, trying to find someone - her. But to my dismay, with every eye contact I made, she is still blurry. I ordered a coffee, I thought I'll have milk but I guess, coffee seems good for today.

I waited at the counter since I'll take out the coffee. I'll probably walk around, hoping that maybe I'd bump her into.

"Thank you, come again." The staff smiled widely and I returned the gesture. Definitely will do. I went out of their shop and the cold breeze brings me chills.

I took a sip of my coffee. It was too bitter, not my liking, but it somehow comforts me. I didn't mind the bitterness and proceeds of drinking it. I stopped walking as I saw an available chair near the coffee shop. Maybe I'll stay here for a bit if she decides to come to the shop. I waited.

Another hour had passed but there's still no sign of her. My cup of coffee is now emptied but I'm still clasping it with both of my hands. The excitement I'd felt a while ago disappeared, like my ordered coffee, what I'm feeling right now is bitterness.

Disappointed and hurt? Definitely. I was always told that your dream is the right timing of meeting the right person.

Never have I ever heard of this circumstance, my soulmate didn't come.

She didn't come like how my dream showed me.

-

Aeri came alone to her friend's condo since her lover has some errands to do. Minjeong didn't go out of her room for the past few days after the failed attempt of meeting her soulmate. Fortunately, they are on vacation so she can stay in her room for all she wants.

She immediately went to Minjeong as soon she entered her friend's room. She was greeted by the silence of her room. The room was filled with a gloomy ambiance. The curtains are closed but the light coming from the outside is slightly visible. Visible enough to highlight the person lying on the mattress.

Aeri pats Minjeong's head who's currently curled up to her bed, hugging her thick blanket. She moves aside the strands of hair blocking her friend's face. She immediately noticed her puffy eyes and runny nose. She caresses her cheek gently.

Did she spend her days crying? Aeri thought.

"Nobody came, Aeri," Minjeong whispered but it's enough to hear it. "What if she didn't choose me?"

"But even if she won't choose me, she could have come and told me, right?" Minjeong added.

"Maybe you'll meet her again soon?" Aeri said, trying to make her feel better. "Maybe there is just an emergency."

"Can you go against fate, Aeri?" Minjeong asked. "I dreamt of us and without a doubt, she did too. We're destined to meet at that place, so why didn't we?"

I don't know too, Minjeong. Aeri thought.

-

After Aeri, Minjeong was left alone again. She doesn't have any energy to move even for an inch. She feels drained and sad. She couldn't stop overthinking the possible possibilities of the reason why they didn't meet.

Until her phone rang.

It was at the bedside table. She just said she didn't want to move and now, there is calling her. She let it ring for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter