Chapter 5

Steps to your heart [BaekhyunxOC]

"You..." Baekhyun moved even closer to Jaein and smiled.

"You...to finish this ASAP so I can stop Suho Hyung from nagging at me every time he sees me." Baekhyun uses his index finger to push Jaein's face away from his.

The push was like a real hit that snapped her out of Baekhyun's dreamy eyes and she looked at him with disbelief.

"Byun Baekhyun! I will end you!" Jaein jumped up from her chair and charged at Baekhyun but, of course, his reflex was so fast that she didn't even have a chance to grab his shirt and he was already out of sight

There goes finishing the proposal today, Jaein scowled inwardly. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, both of them were met with a pissed Suho in front of them and Baekhyun looking innocently at him and it was not the first time. Baekhyun had his head hung low but had a chance to hold eye contact with Jaein when he tried to steal glances at Suho's angry face. Even with the short amount of time with the eye contact with Byun Baekhyun, she couldn't help but scowl internally because her heart softened at his apologetic face, and plus, it was so quiet that Jaein could not take it anymore. 

"I'm sorry, Suho oppa. I promise to get this done by this afternoon and get it submitted. It was me that got carried away by..." Jaein stole a glance at Baekhyun and saw his face lit up. "I was fangirling too much on Taeyeon's outfit yesterday, and I..." Without even waiting for her to finish, Suho cut in "Jaein, you should stop finding excuses for Baekhyun. I know you're... soft for him but he was the one that volunteered and I only agreed because you say you're gonna help him out." Suho pinched Baekhyun on the arm which earned him a very dramatic scream of pain. Jaein quickly stood up and stopped Suho, "I had the responsibility to make sure he did it but I didn't... so it's still partly my fault. But I promise, I can finish it by today!" she literally jumped in front of Baekhyun and rub her palms together asking forgiveness from Suho instead. 

"You better it up instead of Jaein covering your Baek." Suho used his knuckles to lightly push on Baekhyun's template even with Jaein helplessly trying to cover Baekhyun. "Jaein, just trying to come up with it soon so we are on our schedule, you worked hard. I have another student council meeting to attend now, just let me know if you need more time and any help, I'm here." Suho patted Jaein's arm to soothe her with a frown. "Hey! Not fair!" Baekhyun complained behind Jaein. Suho gave him a death glare and hissed at him. After Suho left, there again was Baekhyun's lopsided smile slammed across his face, "Never knew girls are into Taeyeon too." Jaein sighed, "I can't think of anything better ok? And look at yourself every time you see her? You look like you're about to dig your eyeballs out for her" Jaein countered back.

In the afternoon, here she was again in an empty classroom with Rora on her endless lollipop. Rora watched as Jaein pull her hair out to write whatever useless paper work Jaein needed to submit to the principle, sadly as she glance at what Jaein had wrote, it was currently still an empty paper. 

"Girl, you need to stop helping that Baekhyun out with the things that he's NOT CAPABLE of doing when HE was the one that volunteered." Rora, who had become Jaein's closest friend since the first day of college.  Rora and Jaein quickly became close friends because of her straightforward personality. Rora is from the same department as Jaein. They started hanging out actually because of Baekhyun. After the news about Jaein becoming EXO's secretary spread, there were jealous girls talking endlessly about how Jaein was not the 'perfect person' because of the lack of knowledge about EXO. Since it's just the start of the semester, people don't have much background about Jaein, but people were just judgmental towards how ordinary she looks, or anything to make her sound like she doesn't deserve it. Not like Jaein wanted it in the first place. Jaein was slowly getting cautious about her appearance after hearing more gossip about her and one day before her class started, Rora bursted out when she heard a girl talking nasty about Jaein. It went along the lines of 'Can you just shut up for a second? What's wrong with wearing a white tee shirt and jeans? Something illegal?  Or do you prefer her wearing your ty short skirt that is inches away from showing your entire ?'. Neither of them didn't knew the other at that point in time, but Jaein simply just bought banana milk for Rora as her silent gratitude. It turned out was Rora's favorite drink and they instantly clicked. 

Coming back to it, another girl came into the classroom with her fairy white skin, makeup that fits perfectly on her flawless skin. Her presence was so strong that anyone who stop and stare at the girl who walked towards Jaein. She then made herself comfortable my pulling out a chair that was beside Rora and sat elegantly, like she was born with the elegence, then she opened and countered back looking at Rora, "Baekhyun is not that bad, he's just... playful, he helped me with the assignment just yesterday night." Taeyeon replied innocently to Rora instead.

Surprise? Yup. 

Taeyeon somehow also tagged along with Jaein after the first encounter. She just started to sit beside her every time they had a class together and somehow became acquaintances. Not as close as Rora but acquaintance might be the most suitable used to describe their relationship. Jaein doesn't really feel the spark with Taeyeon she had with Rora, Jaein still feels slightly awkward with her and would feel that she needs to make an effort to have small talks with Taeyon when they are together so it won't feel so awkward. Unlike Rora, both of them can stick together the whole day even with a limited amount of conversation between them, she's just more comfortable and carefree. 

Suprise by the fact that Byun Rora rolled her eyes and replied, "That's not how you treat someone who's willing to help you Taeyeon, Baekhyun is definitely taking advantage of you Jaein." Jaein and Taeyeon snapped their head towards Rora and at the same time "No way!" which got Rora slightly startled. "Woah,woah.. calm down! Am I the only one who's not head over heels for this guy?" Rora questioned both of their overreaction. "It's not like that! I just knew him and he..." Taeyeon was talking fast back to Rora and trying hard to clarify but Rora's eyes were only on Jaein who went dead silent. 

"Jaein...don't tell me you..." Rora's words faded with her hand slowly covering , noticed what she just said and Jaein raised her eyes to look at Rora. "You like him..." Those words hit Jaein hard and her heart sank.

Even the first day Rora and Jaein met, it was because of Baekhyun and since then Rora had been listening to all the complaints about Jaein towards Baekhyun, how he can make Jaein's day because he has lost a bet on what color Suho would wear the next day; how he can make Jaein disappointed because he didn't show up to the meeting when the entire member can because he wanted to play games his parents just bought him; how he can make her excited because he promised to buy her ice-cream after meetings; how he can frustrate Jaein with paperwork that was supposed to be done by him instead and so much more. Almost every emotion she had was so dependent on Baekhyun that she failed to notice, that he had become someone who could affect her emotionally. 

Memories flashed on Jaein like a bullet train. She had noticed her heart beating faster every time he saw Baekhyun, she would scan the room hoping to see him there every time they were called for a meeting, and there was never once that she did not say yes to helping Baekhyun. She started to have this weird churning feeling in her stomach after a few encounters with him. It started out just simple gestures like when she stayed back after the meeting to finish the minutes' report, Baekhyun gave her a cooling fever patch even though she never said she was having a fever. There was another time that she forgot to bring her umbrella and was about to run to the bus station but Baekhyun stopped her in time just to give her an umbrella but ran into the rain before she accepted it. At one point, Baekhyun even took the same bus route, (which clearly knew he wasn't supposed to) and waited for her to get off the bus safely because it was late. Countless little things that he did that had stuck on her mind like repeating and plastering the smile on her face at night before she goes to sleep.

 

"...you really really like him, don't you?" Rora questioned again and Jaein knew she had caught feelings for Baekhyun. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next few days, Jaein was in a complete daze, thinking over and over about their feeling toward Baekhyun. She had no interest in boys who were playful or not disciplined in the past, most of the guys that she admired, not even called "like", were those who were good in academics, good to teachers, or the model students in class. But somehow Bakehyun was different, he knew what to irk her and knew how to get her attention, he would annoy her to no end and she sometimes felt like she would murder him in front of everyone but most importantly, he knew how to make her smile.

Rora noticed Jaein's unusual action after their classroom talk and on a Tuesday lunch, she couldn't hold it anymore. Rora grabbed Jaein's shoulder and turned her lowered head towards her directly, "Yoo Jaein, stop thinking about that stupid guy. He's no good and he'll just take more advantage of you and hurt you. So, either you forget about him after you fail your confession or murder him so you can take him out of your mind." Jaein only stared at Rora's face and replied quietly, "Should I just tell him?" Rora widen her eyes and slapped her hand on her own head. Jaein could see the clear frustration on Rora's face but Jaein looked determined towards her and Rora's face changed from frustration to disbelief "Are you serious?"

Jaein then forwards the same question on a lunch break without Rora to Taeyeon carefully. "Go ahead! I'm sure he likes you back. You're so close to EXOs, I'm sure especially Bakehyun should be head over heels for you." Taeyeon looked exceptionally relaxed and WAY too relaxed, unlike Rora. Maybe Rora was just overreacting about Jaein's little crush. How bad could it be anyway? It was already more than obvious that Baekhyun is interested in Jaein, his gestures, his teasing and his attitude towards Jaein looked like a SPECIAL TREATMENT. So why not just go for it?

 

 

Be ready my lovelies, it's gonna be a ride! 

Also I want to thank everyone who stayed with my lousy story up until this point. I think i'll restructure the story in the future with more details but for now, I'll just go with this unplanned version. I started this story without any valid plan and just went with the flow cuz I really want these ideas to be out of my head. It's also a gift for myself cuz I have always wanted to be an author, not like a professional one but atleast have a story that I created. So it really meant alot for me to publish all of this. 

Anyways, the story will get better for the next chapter so hold on my loveliess! 

Do comment and I'll reply all the love y'all gave with better story on the next chapter <3