Chapter 10

Steps to your heart [BaekhyunxOC]

As soon as the train door opened, Jaein was out of Baekhyun's sight. Silly girl, Baekhyun muffled his laugh. The pool of people only receded after they reached a larger compound so everyone was spread out and it took half an hour for the EXO boys and the two poor girls to finally find each other. Suho spoke, "We have another 40 mins till the music festival officially starts, I'll go and book everyone a spot, you all can decide who going to buy some snack, who gonna buy lightsticks and banners, who's gonna go pee so that I won't see any of your asses stand up when the music starts, got it? " Just like a natural leader, he has already organized everyone to get things done perfectly. 

"I'll go with Jaein for light stick." As soon as Suho asked, Bakehyun volunteered. "Yah Baek, you gotta come with me and Kyung Soo with the food and I don't care if you agree or not" Chanyeol joked and pulled Baekhyun by the sleeves and poked him. It ended with Jaein and Rora going to buy for light stick; Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kyung Soo, and Chen going for snacks; Kai and Sehun going for the toilet while Xiu Min and Suho as the mom and dad of the boys went to find a place that fits all the them.

Finally, some alone time with someone Jaein was comfortable with. "Yah, is it me or Baekhyun seems to be attached to you ?" Rora poked Jaein in the waist when they were strolling across the stalls with different light sticks. Jaein stopped in her tracks and replied, "You must be hallucinating then." Rora rolled her eyes when she heard Jaein reply. "Something smells fishy and I don't think that I'm wrong, Jaein you know I'm oftentimes right with feelings, you know me," Rora replied in distaste. "Yeah I know you well enough not to believe that he liked me before I went and confessed to him, babe." Jaein stopped looking around at all the colorful stalls while tilting her head to look at Rora sideways, without any bad intention to make her feel bad. "Well, that was before I could stop you from doing it in front of the entire classroom Jae! C'mon!" Rora whined. instead of being careful of not to mention anything about the rejection, Rora was so close to Jaein that Jaein could joke about it in front of her without any hard feelings. Jaein extended her arm and hugged Rora sideways into her chest," This fishy feeling has not happened between me and him, and he just broke up with Taeyeon, he's probably doing it out of habit. So this 'fishy' thing is not between us and will NEVER happen because he said it before, I'm no good, babe." Jaein let go of her hands and emphasized it with a quote sign with her 2 fingers. " So if you can focus and help me decide if purple or orange looks better at night, that'd be more helpful. " Rora couldn't argue as she heard Jaein, she sounded like she was still stuck in the comment Baekhyun stupidly made when he was so madly in love with his EX-girlfriend, what a jerk.

They bought a few different types of lightsticks, some are glow stick bracelets, and some are LED foam sticks so that everyone has varieties. The lightstick shopping was bliss to Jaein who had not shopped for such a long time and she loved every lame joke that Rora made about 'stupid people being like lightstick, I wanna snap em' and shake em' till the light comes on.' That lame joke made Jaein laugh so much that she had to hold her stomach the whole way back to find Suho and Xiu Min at the far end of the stage. 
 

"Why are Sehun and Kai still not here yet? All they did was just pee," Suho complained. Bakehyun and Chanyeol had a bunch of snacks and drink in their arm and were unloading them on the ground when Jaein and Rora came back. As soon as both of the youngest came back from the washroom, the light dimmed and the MC announced to welcome the first artist and the crowd boomed. It was so loud that Jaein jumped but laughed out with laughter. Suho was screening his lungs for Jaein to pass him the light stick so they could bend it and make it light up but ended up in vain and just communicated through hand movements. The first group was Hybe young rookie, New Jeans performed and the crowd went crazy not expecting the guests. Since it's a mystery music festival, none of the artists are revealed, so it made the crowd more excited and pumped than any normal festival. Jaein wasn't a big fan of any group but she was so drowned in the excitement that she got hyped by Rora who was a Kpop fanatic. Bakehyun who was used to the loudness helped Suho to bend the lightstick and handed the lightstick to everyone by tapping on their shoulder as he was the last one to put all the snacks and were closest to Suho. 
 

Baekhyun handed the lightstick to everyone while everyone was already glued to the stage. Chanyeol grabbed Kyung Soo's hand making him dance, making everyone laugh including Kyung Soo himself while Jaein was watching Rora fangirling over New Jeans. There was space left beside Jaein and without a second thought, Baekhyun sat down without Jaein realizing as she was too immersed in an excited Rora and laughing hard. Baekhyun had handed everyone their light stick to everyone. Jaein seemed to realize Baekhyun had sat down beside her but seemed unfazed by it, but with all the stage and music that was booming so loud. Only Jaein knew her heart was slowly racing again because of the boy who had now sat beside her. Baekhyun looked relaxed as he sang along to the music on the stage, knowing every song that came out without missing a lyric, occasionally bumping shoulders with Jaein as the artist hype the audience. There were fast and slow songs in between so people enjoyed the soft vocals of the artist and relaxed. With all the boys and people sitting nearby, Jaein had crouched into a ball hugging her leg for the past few songs, so she wanted to stretch her ankle behind her back to loosen her shoulder.  From the corner of her eye, Baekhyun who sat with his leg folder somehow decided to do the same and he extended his ankle behind. Jaein's eyes widened as she felt the soft touch of her pinky, she tried to be as still as possible to not make it so obvious that she was trying to avoid the boy beside her.

Funny how one touch can make her feel as if electricity went through her body and make her tummy experience these feelings. Just after a few minutes, Baekhyun moved his hand away, which made Jaein's heart drop. She thought maybe Baekhyun did it on purpose but the truth was he didn't even even realize the small action that he did so she tried to focus on the stage again. Baekhyun continued to retract his hands and took off his sweater. What surprised her was moved an inch closer to her put the jacket onto both of her hands and spoke without looking at her, "Cold?" Her hand was ice cold not because of the wind, but because she was nervous 

 

Looking at such an excited Jaein, he couldn't help but want to do something to make it more fun. So Baekhyun grabbed 2 bracket glow sticks and connected them together to make a big circle. He then tapped on Jaein's shoulder to see a smiling Jaein. It had been so long since he had seen Jaein smiling so 
brightly that her little dimple showed. There was a glow in her eyes from the yellow color light from the stage that lit her watery brown eyes like stars, her eyes bent like the shape of the moon. Baekhyun just stopped and stared then realizing the reason for him asking for Jaein's attention. Without any delay, he moved his hand with the circle light stick and placed it softly on her head. 
 

At that moment, her smile lightened up more like how the purple light stick glows that was now placed on her head and it seemed like it glowed brighter when reflected on her dark and smooth hair. Jaein returned the same gesture by taking the leftover bracelet glow stick that was lying beside Baekhyun. Bakehyun watched as she did the same by combining the 2 brackets into a head bracelet and gestured for Baekhyun to come closer. Her face came closer to Baekhyun and moved her hand to his neck and put the light stick around his neck like how someone would help another to wear a necklace. Maybe it's because of the blinking stage light and the dimly lit outdoor sky, Jaein had to move closer to him to make sure she could secure the bracelet on his neck and the proximity was only noticed by Baekhyun who was looking at her long eyelashes, and her cheeks that were slightly red because of the heat around them. When Jaein noticed the stillness, she looked up and met with Baekhyun's eyes that were intensely looking at her. Jaein was having so much fun and hadn't been feeling much relaxed for a long time and instead of backing off, she bit her lip and gave Baekhyun a shy but sincere smile. The smile then reflected on Baekhyun's face with his ear reddened unknowingly. At that moment, it's only both of them.

Their stare broke off when Chanyeol came and grabbed Baekhyun in the arm and pulled him away to join the laugh with the boys while Jaein was startled by the sudden separation. Rora turned to her side and saw Jaein who was sitting still and nudged her. " Enjoying much?" Rora looked at Jaein with a sly smile with her eye-brown eyes which was replaced by a slap on the arm by Jaein. The show went on and the crowd couldn't get crazier, it was first everyone sitting down on the floor but soon people were standing up and dancing with each other. Not as wild as a club but everyone can feel the excitement as soon as the DJ drops the beat. The music went hotter and hotter from the remix of BTS's 'Fire' to 2NE1's "I'm the Best'. Everyone was on their feet at that point.

After the DJ session ended, they invited a special guest Jamie Miller for his new single called 'Broken Memories', and Jaein was a huge fan of his.  "Everybody grab yourself a partner and slow dance with someone around you, whether it's a friend or a lover, love each other to your best but don't forget to love yourself too. This song is dedicated to me when I have myself brokenhearted. I wrote all of the songs on my album mend my broken heart and hopefully your's too. Please enjoy one of the songs that's closest to my heart called 'I Lost Myself in Loving You." The moment the song played, a tattooed guy who was standing in front of Jaein turned around and asked her for a dance. Jaein accepted his gesture. The guy was probably the same age as Jaein and had this beautiful smile on his face. As soon as Jaein nodded her head, the tattoo guy held out his hand like a gentleman until Jaein placed her hand on his. 

Sweet melody and the singer sang so deeply that touched everyone's heart as people around her started to sway softly compared to the previous hype song, with the mood slowly deepened. 


" They said, time is always meant to heal the fall"

"Tell me, Why it doesn't seem to help at all"

"You're okay, I'm here tryna pick the pieces up" 

"Of the old me, Before you say that I'm not enough"

The tattoo guys held Jaein's hand with care and softly swayed her from side to side. The tattoo guy looked Jaein in the eyes with a frown when she met his eyes as if asking if Jaein was feeling okay. Little did the guy know this song reminded her how 1 year ago, was in the rejection for unrequited love by Baekhyun. Jaein's smile froze but try hard not to show it. Her eyes became watery as she looked back at the sweet guy's face. The tattoo guy in front of her finally spoke," I don't know what you went through but it's over, so live your life." Jaein was surprised that another person could so easily read her with just one look. She kept quiet for some time but eventually replied," I guess I'll fully let go one day." The tattoo guy smiled softly when he heard her as the song continued. 

"I lost myself in loving you, loving you, became someone else I've never knew never knew"

"I would change when I needed saving but you wouldn't do the same thing.." 

As the music went on, the guy then asked," Can I...?" as he extended his hand and asked if he could put his hand on her waist. Jaein was stunned but maybe it was the song, it was the ambiance, she wanted to try and explore new things that she had refrained herself from because those words telling her she was not enough were eating her up too much. She changed the answer in her mind. 

 

Baekhyun was no longer paying attention to the petite girl who was wearing a dangerously short red dress, showing nearly her entire cleavage and bright lipstick, and trying to grin herself on to him. He didn't even have the chance to say 'no' to dancing with the girl but only out of being nice, but here the girl was shoving herself up into Baekhyun's face. His attention went to finding another petite girl whom he had been staring had for the last hour as the music blasted. It was new to him to see Jaein being so cheered up and giggly since they first met and he couldn't tear his eyes away from her even a second. The smile on her face could literally lit up the surroundings and he couldn't help himself not to follow his gaze towards her. Now he watched as the guy said something to make Jaein show her smile and Bakehyun couldn't stop but crane his neck so that he knew what they were up to. The girl in front of him tried to grab his hand to pull his attention onto her but it made Baekhyun flinch and back away. He still kept his composure and gave the red-dress girl an apologetic smile. Until the guy in front of Jaein extended his hand. With the smallest movement, Bakehyun saw Jaein nod with a shy smile that was slowly spreading across her face.

At that moment, a tinge of panic spread across his stomach. Baekhyun knew what were the guy's intentions and he didn't delay a second and sprinted in Jaein's direction. 

 

You guys smell competition!?????? YES LOVELIESS , COMPETITION IS HERE TO MAKE THIS JERK MOVE HIS AND TAKE JAEIN !

comment below to let me know how you feel about the chapter!