Chapter 7

Steps to your heart [BaekhyunxOC]

It has been ages since Jaein looked into his eyes, Baekhyun thought. That girl never failed to surprise him. Jaein had changed too much, so so much that he couldn't unsee the changes. Jaein's eyes became brighter, her soft skin glowing after he believed all the face mask routine, her silky hair that was tied in a ponytail but then it was like you could feel the soft texture of it. She had become undeniably, more attractive. Baekhyun wanted to at least try and say hi to her, with this unavoidable situation. 

Since the day of his rejection of Jaein, he had not seen Jaein for nearly 3 months. No one had said a word about that day and Suho hyung allowed her to have private meetings directly with Suho for the minutes meeting record, no one had an objection to that. On the other hand, Bakehyun also experienced the best 3 months of publically dating the goddess Taeyeon. Everyone was saying they were perfect together and Baekhyun was the first time, madly in love, they'd stick together like chewing gum and go everywhere being lovey-dovey. He would do anything for her as long as she asked. The BBHxTY would be a hashtag thing called Perfect Couple and Baekhyun couldn't be prouder about it.

Until things changed.

Suga, Min yoongi the notorious bad boy that everyone loved for some reason, stole everyone's spotlight and started his studies again after he took a gap year. He's a notorious bad boy that girls would secretly fall for him but never get in his way because they are too scared of his aura. Maybe it was just a trend but Taeyeon would start to dress differently, skirts hiking up her tights, and tank tops with a low cut that might just show half of her cleavage. To Bakehyun's distaste, she didn't care when he mentioned it, just to make sure she'd wear more comfortable clothes without showing so much skin but Taeyeon would argue back and seemed to be more occupied with more "projects" even many times Baekhyun caught her in classes that she shouldn't be in. They started to fight more often, she would get irritated about little things like how Baekhyun stood, and the way he smiled and had cold wars without valid reasons. Baekhyun couldn't be sure and would be wrong just to accuse a person who just suddenly popped out of somewhere and said that he was seducing his girlfriend but it was getting suspicious. He didn't catch any act of Taeyeon with the Min suga guy, or can he say--- didn't dare to find out the truth of Taeyeon's change of behavior. Taeyeon just changed. So different from the sweet caring person that he knew months ago.

Jaein, on the other hand, had been the same but also changed so much that Baekhyun could hardly recognize her. Even though Jaein was not involved in EXO's meeting and stayed away for 3 months. She started to return to the meetings at the end of June. She would still be as quiet as a mouse without much interaction with anyone except for Suho Hyung and nobody tried to break that line and pushed her to be the 'old' Jaein.

Baekhyun started to notice her day by day as he saw her trying different styles of outfits and make-ups she would put on, sometimes wearing cute outfits with a colorful hairpin, the next day she would wear dark metal eye shadow and Chanyoel couldn't hold it in and about it. To his surprise, she replied with a funnier joke and Chanyeol loved her reaction. They started talking again and the same as everyone as soon they saw her loosen up. Now it's just Baekhyun who had to get more and more anxious trying to talk to her again because it seemed like everyone had made up with her. Jaein looked loosened up compared to her previous self, everyone assumed she was an introvert but she seemed like she'd learned to network as time went by, not like the inward Jaein who would just be stuck with Baekhyun where he could just easily ask her to do anything for him. Unlike Baekhyun, he became more quiet. Days of Taeyeon had emotional outbursts and said ugly words towards him, but he swallowed them down and held onto those ugly words that nobody would want to hear on a daily basis. 

His EXO members were concerned but Baekhyun would just brush it off as if nothing happened and act with his normal goofy smile but his tired eye bag didn't go unnoticed. Jaein seemed to notice the way his shoulder slouched and his jokes had diminished, one time even frowning the slightest when they accidentally had eye contact longer than it lasted any time before. Of course, Baekhyun had days thinking that maybe he was too over his head when he first dated Taeyeon, he felt like he was King, back then with all the egos. Now that he felt how distant he was with Jaein, who had saved his way too many times, now she's been officially dodging any possible eye contact for the past 11 months. He must hurt her quite badly to make her not even want to take a look at him. It does hurt sometimes, to see someone so close to you before but now they have become strangers. Like a stranger who knows you too well. The most familiar strangers. 

When Baekhyun came back to his senses, Jaein too seemed to be too caught in her own thoughts but she sprinted away without saying a word. It was obvious that Jaein flinched but she stayed silent as always, which left a half-open mouth Beakhyun standing awkwardly with his hand half raised to wave hello. 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaein had zoomed out most of her time during the run. All her mind was occupied by those eyes even tho she was pretty sure she had over her little crush on Bakehyun. Rora seems to be distracted as well as they just quietly walk back to their locker too with no words exchanged, different from what they normally do.

"Yahh, why are you so out of it? Baekhyun still?" Rora nudged Jaein who was taking her bags and normal clothes out of the locker. Jaein replied so fast like lightning jolted and replied "HELL NO! I'm over him, oh please. I was just thinking about... my assignment! Oh yeah, I think I know what's wrong in my calculations, I'll get it fixed before I go, you can go back home first." 

"Right, like I believe you Jae." Rora gave her a mischievous smile. "You can go ahead and do your "calculations", with Baekhyun on your mind, but I have to catch up with someone else. See you!" Jaein would have flicked her head but Rora ran away too fast.

She broke the record by running for an hour and a half without even stopping and not sure which one was it but Jaein's heart was still beating fast after her cool-down session after the run. Probably because the weather is cooler and It got harder to breathe. Probably. After she packed her things, she decided to go finish up her assignment before leaving since the bus would only arrive at eight and now it was only seven. An hour left. Her class hall room was further so she decided to just land in a random hall room to complete her assignment. With a few papers shuffled in her hands and a bag half hung on one of her shoulders, she walked toward a class that was closest she could find and saw a lecture hall. She was screening through her assignment with her brows furrowed and walked straight into the hall without scanning since the door was open, and who would stay in the class until this late anyway? 

A few steps into the class, she abruptly stopped in her tracks when she heard soft sounds or... moans coming from the front. It's a fairly big lecture hall, that can fit around 100 people in so she can't really see what's in front since it's dimly lit too. It's not weird to have naughty students lurking around the compound at this hour but at least she was expecting that even if there is, should be a more subtle place. Jaein's lip curved up, normally she would not give a damn about it but something inside her told her that she had to take a look. Maybe she'd heard enough stories about students doing role play in classes and now she had the chance, she'd like to check it out. 

With a sly smile on her face, she tipped her toe to move closer and crouched down to get a closer look at who was the two love birds. When she got closer, she could see a slim guy who leaned himself onto the girl and pressed her on the edge of the lecturer's table, his slender hands had covered her face and her thin waist, trying to pull her closer into a deeper kiss. Since the front end of the class was dark, Jaein couldn't see the girl who was being 'devoured' by the guy in front of her but she looked dangerously similar to a certain person Jaein had in mind, with the blonde hair and style of clothes the girl was wearing. 

Just when Jaein was planning to ditch the 'detective plan' to find out who she was, the girl was suddenly picked up by her waist by the guy in front of her and plopped up on the table. The action was followed by her girly giggle with her head thrown back. She wore thick smokey makeup and bright red lipstick that's probably more suitable if one is on stage performance, a few strains of hair sticking out, face flushed pink,  probably due to the hot session with the other half. But the surprising thing was not only her clothes that were dangerously close to falling off or the overly done makeup. It was someone Jaein believed should not be seen with another guy except for Byun Baekhyun. 

It's Taeyeon. 

Jaein's eyes widened with her hand covered over to stop herself from gasping out loud when she saw Taeyeon making out with the notorious Min Suga. Jaein couldn't believe her eyes as she crouched down and tried hard to hold in the shock. Without any second thoughts, she scuttled while she was in a squaring position out of the lecture hall as fast as she could. With the papers and bag in her hands and hung over her shoulder, she looked crazy. Just when she was about to stand up after finally scuttling herself out of the lecture hall. A pair of Nike shoes appeared in front of her sight. Things couldn't get worse, when thought and looked up, it belonged to Baekhyun's. Jaein thought she had a second heart attack just within a second. Out of thousands of students in this university, one in a thousand, Byun Baekhyun, the master of bad timing, came to this hall lecturer. Jaein was so taken aback that she stood up abruptly and looked Baekhyun straight into his eyes with fear in her eyes, knowing that it would be ugly if Baekhyun saw what was happening inside of the hall room.
 

Baekhyun looked at Jaein weirdly, as he seldom saw Jaein with the expression. She is mostly very well-composed. But thinking back on the track, Jaein didn't even hesitate to give a second look at him, Baekhyun ignored the panic Jaein and wanted to walk past her to go into a hall room to figure out the lyrics for his solo song he wanted to produce since he never tried before. To his surprise, Jaein went the same way as he did when he sidesteped to walk around Jaein. The same thing happened when he stepped to the other side, 3rd time...4th time.., at this rate, Baekhyun knew Jaein was intentionally blocking his way and started to get alarmed by her behavior. He knew Jaein well, if she managed to ignore him for the past 1 year without saying a word, she might as well do so this time, but here's Jaein not speaking a word and blocking his way.

"What are you doing? Please move." Maybe it was the anger that Baekhyun held in over the course of 1 year, he was sorry about all that had happened but how could she not talk to him totally? Maybe it was his frustration that he wasn't able to initiate talking to his female friend who had been with him 24/7, literally trying to make his dream come true but suddenly disappeared from his life after a day. Or maybe it was just all the pent-up emotion and frustration he was experiencing and he finally felt at home talking to the girl in front of him he was once so familiar with, but he didn't know how he would start the conversation. Or maybe just because this girl in front of him just decided to sprint away when he finally had the courage to wave and say hello to her. 


"No." To his surprise, Jaein replied," I...l came here first, you leave." She replied with her voice shaking but quickly turned cold as ice. Baekhyun looked at her and took a deep breath, as he calmed himself. "Then tell me, why are you here looking like a baby duckling scuttling out of the hall?" Baekhyun bent his back slightly to match Jaein's height and raised his eyes brown as he questioned her with his eyes burning holes into her face. Jaein took a step back when Baekhyun shortened the distance between the two. It's been so long since Baekhyun has done the same to her seeing her nervous face, "I... I was..just....picking up my earrings!" Just as Jaein finished her sentence, Baekhyun twirled and went directly into the hall room before Jaein could stop him. Without Baekhyun realizing, there was a small smile that appeared on his lips that was not found for the past few months. 
 

Still drowning in the little fun he had with Jaein, he didn't realize what came ahead of him. Just when he walked into the classroom with all the warnings that Jaein gave to him long forgotten, he heard a low growl, moans, and giggles coming from the front of the classroom. Bakehyun stopped in his tracks, and Jaein was seen panicking skidding towards Baekhyun. Before Jaein gets to pull Baekhyun out of the classroom, both of them can clearly hear the low growl filled with lust and want "Did your boyfriend not tell you how y you are? Huh? Kim Taeyeon? Because he clearly didn't know how naughty you are right now."

Baekhyun's heart dropped upon hearing the name of his girlfriend, being called by another man. 

Jaein's eyes widened, and she gasped in astonishment. Her immediate instinct was to grab Baekhyun and pull him against the wall, crouching down to avoid being seen or heard. Now, Baekhyun sat on the floor with his back against the wall while Jaein knelt down to be at eye level with him.

Baekhyun was stunned and looked disbelieved, his face transitioning rapidly from shock to sadness then to anger. He could hear more pleasure moans coming from the classroom, which only added to his distress. Jaein noticed his emotions were overwhelming, and she knew there was little she could do, to stop his pain. Attempting to shield him from the distressing sounds, she gently covered his ears.

"I'm so sorry, Baek. I wish I could protect you from all this," Jaein murmured, holding him close in her arms as she knelt beside him.

 

Comment below to let me know how you guys feel about this chapter! 

I'm shaking with excitement cuz FIRE IS BURNING!  AHAHHAHA