Chapter 3

Steps to your heart [BaekhyunxOC]

Jaein opened her eyes and made herself get up from her utterly comfortable bed. Her room isn't too fancy, just filled with necessities like a study table that is neatly arranged with random books, an emerald wardrobe, her simple bed covered with dark blue sheets, and most importantly, a DIY alcove near the window. She had an obsession with alcove seating near the window, there was no water glistening brilliantly from the sea view nor lushes of greenery stretching to an endless horizon view, but the window simply allowed her to see the night light of the city. Nothing fancy, but she enjoyed it endlessly every night looking at it. Being grumpy as she pushed away the blanket covering her slim legs, she got up at 7 a.m. sharp to start her new day. Just when she opened the door, the same image of her grandpa's back showed to her as every morning would.

"Morning, Haraboji! I'll never wake up earlier than you." Jaein strode to the dining table and plopped down with her ungroomed self. 

"You'd need to worry if you don't see me right now, honey." Grandpa chuckled lightly "Here's your breakfast, eat and go to school, you're getting late." he added on. 

"Haraboji, stop mentioning it as a school, I'm a fully grown young adult or young WOMAN who is entering university today, you should remember that! I'll be working soon and buy you a better house!"Jaein scuttered over to her grandpa and hugged sweetly his arm.  

"Young lady, you haven't even started your first class and you're here to talk about jobs? Slow down kid, you should enjoy your university life and find someone who will wreck your life by falling in love. It'd be nice if I could push this problem maker to someone else" Grandpa playfully pinched Jaein's nose while she tried to dodge it away and laughed.

"Slow down too old man, trying to marry me off to some jerk on my first day of class? Not so soon!" Jaein scrunched her nose and ran off while making a face at her grandfather. 

Jaein had been living with her grandpa for as long as she can remember. Not in a bad way. She's still close with her parents, who are currently working overseas, but her memory was mainly filled with both her grandparents taking care of her since she was born and just 2 years ago, her grandmother passed away in peace so now only she lives with her Haraboji.

After she ate her simple breakfast and cleaned up, she went to her new chapter of life at Kyung Hee Cyber University. Here goes nothing, Jaein prepared mentally before she stepped out of the house and walked to the bus stop nearby her house.

The journey to her destination was not too long, just a total of 20 minutes before she reached the gate. She took finance and real estate, pretty boring but something that she believes can earn her a good living. Among all her friends, she's the only one who came here, so she's pretty much very alone in a new environment, but it didn't bother her at all. Being all independent and quite introverted (before someone really knew her), she doing fine up till she stepped into the classroom that was already filled with unfamiliar faces. 

 The class quickly passed on until 4 pm in the afternoon, and finally came to the last class of the day. Nothing dramatic happened, well, except one. 

The last class was about the foundation of finance and the lecturer quickly got on the topic even on the first day of class Jaein was already diligently writing down notes. Just 10 minutes into class, the door creaked open, and a girl who could be seen was carefully dressed up with light makeup on. "Damn gurl, the effort she put in for the first day of class" Jaein mumbled under her breath and realized she said it out loud and quickly slapped her hand across , hoping the guy beside her did not just hear that. The guy who was sitting beside her threw her a glance anyway and Jaein's heart nearly jumped out. Jeez, she glanced back and just ignored it. No hate for such a pretty person but dressing up requires time and effort but Jaein just doesn't have time for that. 

It was obvious that people started whispering and she could hear boys clearing their throats, straightening their backs while watching intently where the girl was heading to sit down. Jaein lowered her gaze and started doodling on her paper until she heard high heels clicking coming near to her side and someone softly tapped on her shoulder.

"Excuse me, can I sit here?" the girl smiled shyly while asking Jaein. Jaein raised her head to see this pretty girl who had one of the prettiest eyes and skin that was fair like the clouds she had ever come across. Wow, she really is stunning, Jaein complimented inwards. "Yeah, sure." Jaein smiled back politely and scooted over for her to sit down. While the guy who gave Jaein a look previously cleared his throat louder than necessary and moved closer to Jaein, planning to have a closer look at the girl, whom Jaein nicknamed the pretty girl as Nemo. She looks kinda like a Nemo. The lecturer stopped upon hearing the commotion this Nemo had created but continued regardless. Guess this girl holds some presence power. 

After the class, Jaein just moved out of her seat, packed up her things, and wanted to find a place and have a quick nap before she went to her uncle's shop for her part-time. She wanted another part-time at a cafe but her grandpa insisted she work for her uncle so he could ensure Jaein was protected and not abused by any crazy boss who wanted her to work like a dog. Little did Haraboji know, the restaurant was already the actual hell that she was trying to avoid at all costs. On the bright side, he was paying good money, even though every day she had to endure the gruesome scolding. 

Before Jaein left, she glanced at the girl beside her and their eyes met. "Nice to meet you, I'm Taeyeon." the Nemo smiled and waved. Some things you can't avoid when people's eyes meet, you just have to talk, so Jaein returned the gesture and introduced herself. "Hi there, I'm Jaein and you look good today." Even though Jaein is quite introverted when she first meets people, she just doesn't mind sharing compliments with others, especially girls. "Thank you! Still not used to hearing that" Nemo replied while combing her hair with a knowing smile. Jaein's lip twitched just the slightest. Erm, okay Jaein commented inwardly. For such a pretty individual, Jaein is pretty sure Nemo hears this every time. There's just something about this girl in front of her. Jaein just has the feeling, that there will be many many times, she will encounter this Nemo again, but not sure if it'll be good or bad. 

As the class came to an end, Jaein casually strolled down the line of classrooms, only to discover every single one was packed, except for the last room right at the end of the hallway. She moseyed her way to the back of the room, plopping into a seat, aiming to catch a breather before facing her uncle's inevitable rant at the shop. While everyone else was already diving into meetings and various club activities for the year, she felt completely worn out from her last financial foundation class and just craved the comfort of her earphones and a quick nap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baekhyun was chewing on the chewing gum that a girl just randomly got for him and swore that that girl was trying to take off her clothes right there and then by revealing such a great amount of cleavage he had never seen a normal person show. Amazing how on the first day of class for sophomores, people are already going wild. He walked lazily along the hallway with Chen, Kyung-soo, and Chan Yeol alongside, and by simply doing nothing, they attracted attention. It might sound kinda dramatic but they are quite... well-known even after they are not in high school anymore, especially to girls, girls, girls. There are a total of 8 in EXO that Baekhyun hangs out with and all of them are either dancing, singing, or rapping. They called themselves EXO. To Baekhyun, girls were easy to understand, except for sports, is there another thing that would attract so much attention from them? It was not as dramatic as K-drama where girls would scream as they watched them or took pictures everywhere they went, but the amount of gaze Baekhyun could feel on him was too much for a normal boy who is in university. To be honest, sometimes he enjoys them and made him cocky at some point. 

No one knew EXO better, the 8 of them had a dream to have a concert and they are planning to build a community that enjoys singing and dancing as much as they do. Their dream started during high school when they first got together but due to the limitation, they didn't manage to hold the concert, but they were DETERMINED to make it happen in college. It's an ultimate goal. So without even waiting for clubs to start recruiting freshmen, they've spread words to start recruiting singers, dancers, and any possible talent to prepare for D-Day of Exo Planet 5 – Exploration. 

"Baek, let's just settle down here" Chen called for Baekhyun who was checking his phone for the timetable he had from a senior. Baekhyun nodded and walked into a rather small classroom. The meeting was 30 minutes away and they did not set any specific time or venue for it, but somehow the classroom started to fill up with people. Amazing how people can manage their own on the first day. Baekhyun lightly shouldered Chen who was standing beside him. The class was then filled with 40-50 people, not including the 4 of them, familiar faces that he had seen in high school, some new ones too. Even though both Chen and Kyung Soo are the lead singers in the group, Baekhyun took the lead so he MC-ed the meeting. Baekhyun used his knuckles to tap on the lecturer's desk he was sitting on. 

"Hey everyone, I'm Baekhyun here, and glad that rumors in college work as fast as we are in high school." Baekhyun joked about how everyone managed to find the classroom, earning a soft chuckle from everyone. "Hope you guys are aware that we're planning for our final destination--the exploration" Baekhyun made a smug face, earning another laugh, especially from the girls, and continued "So today we're planning to have a committee pick while we prepare for everything," he stated with a pause in between. Upon saying that he could hear people whistle and cheered softly as Baekhyun scanned at everyone. With a thump in his heart surprising himself, his eyes fell on a person that he was dreading seeing the most, with her flawless makeup and taste in wardrobe, Baekhyun can literally droll over her now. 

He nearly fell over when their eyes met and she smiled at him while she curled her hair behind her ears and he immediately turned into a tomato. The eye contact made him feel a bit lightheaded and he hesitantly continued trying to calm himself down, "Umm, let's start with it then, with...social secretary members." Chen saw the entire situation with Baekhyun being lovesick with the popular girl in town---Taeyeon and scoffed while he patted Baekhyun back a little harder than necessary, earning a jump from Baekhyun. "I think I'll be taking from here," Chen continued smoothly. "So we will need only a total of 10 people in the team, we'll consider recruiting more committee, also for performers, as time goes by when the concert is around the corner, we might need an extra hand. But for now, we'll focus on four different roles that are up for now," Chen turned around, grabbed a marker pen, and started to scribble on the whiteboard while everybody listened attentively: 

President and Vice President (2) – they run the society, make crucial decisions and resolve disputes
Treasurer(1) – handles the society’s finances
Secretary (1) – handles the paperwork, meetings, sign-ups, and emails
Social secretary (6)  – organizes social events for the society


Chen then faced the class again "We'll be starting off with the social secretary member then if everyone is clear? " everyone nodded in unison. It happened quite fast and people are raising their hands here and there, proposing themselves to be the chosen one. When it came to choosing the secretary, Chen voiced out "Anyone here studies in the finance and real estate department, preferably a female?" Chen had a discussion among themselves beforehand and took advice from their seniors that people in the department are specifically determined and detail-oriented, which would be the best to be a secretary. 

At that moment, Baekhyun saw a girl with a low ponytail, who was plugging out her earphones and looking confused while scanning the entire class, scattered picking up her things. The whole class went silent while she held her stuff in her hands and lowered her head, hurriedly aiming for the door that was in front of the class, looking like she wanted to get out of the place as fast as she could. She looked so familiar but Baekhyun couldn't be reminded of where she knew her from. Just then a guy spoke, "I don't know her but she's from the finance and real estate department, she sat beside me just now in class." and that earned a shocking face from the girl who was already halfway through the class. She was stunned but quickly turned away and speed-walked to the door. Just when she sped across the lecturer's table where Baekhyun was sitting at the corner tip of the table closest to the door, yesterday night's scene flashed across his memory, and by reflection, he shot his hand out to grab the girl before she could run away. 

"Ashhh, Yah!" she cursed softly. She stopped in her steps, trying to wiggle her hand out of whoever's large and strong grip without looking back but failed miserably. She had no choice but to turn around so she had a stronger grip to free herself. Slowly she scanned the person behind her, the first thing she saw was a slim figure who was wearing a grey picture tee. Ashh, how am I gonna win this guy, Baekhyun heard the murmur. While her gaze slowly moved upward to peek at the guy, there was a certain mischievous look from Baekhyun and a lopsided smile.

Upon meeting the gaze with the girl, her gaze went from confusion to shock "You, again!?" 

"Jackpot." Baekhyun's smile grew even wider. Given all the trouble this girl has given her last night, it's time for him to 'give back'. He lowered himself down so that they were at the same eye level to meet the girl's gaze causing the girl to cross-eye when he was a bit too close to her comfort. Baekhyun squinted into the girl's eyes with the mischievous smile he would have on when he knew he would have fun. 

"I want her as our secretary. NO.ONE.ELSE." With the close proximity, Baekhyun loudly announced knowing that being a secretary is hard enough but, it's harder if you're EXO's secretary. Little did the girl in front of him know, that this guy would impact her life so much more than she wanted. 

 

 

This chapter went longer than I thought it would be, let me just skip myself and THEY ARE FINALLY AGAINST EACH OTHER'S THROATS LOVELIES!

I'm really sorry for updating after so long ahhaha, I know. It has already been exactly a year and our baby Baek has already been discharged from the military! Reunited with us again~ I just keep thinking about this unfinished story and I.AM.DETERMINED to finish this story by this year. It has been my dream to write a complete one. This 2nd year while waiting for BBH, has been a rollercoaster ride for me, career-wise, so I was occupied and changed a lot. Thanks to BBH song, he helped me get through a lot too. 

So I hope I'm back now and able to share this story that is slowly forming in my head and share it with all the fans, to love our (even though fictional characters here) BBH more and maybe soothe you a bit in your hectic life. I'll update you guys soon! Feel free to share your thoughts up until now, love you guys! 

PS: Please feel free to recommend if you have read any BaekhyunxOC stories that were so good you kept going back! I've been searching but I think I've read it all, some really great ones too <3