Ch 17

When Flowers Bloom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

17 | Curiosity

 

***

 

"Omma!!!

 

"Noona!!!"

 

"Wake up!"

 

"Wake up, Seohyun Noona!"

 

Seohyun groaned as 2 voices are shaking her up in order for her to wake up. She grabs her extra pillow and covers her head as the noise continues. She used to wake up with Yoona's voice only but while the latter hasn't returned home, 2 cute voices from Jaehyun and her own son have been waking her up for the past 2 weeks. It had been noisy also since the Jungs stays in their humble home. 

 

"It's time to get up!"

 

"The sun has risen!"

 

"Wake up, Omma."

 

"Seohyun Noona, wake uuuuup!!!"

 

"Araso, araso! I'm up." She groggily pulled herself up while her eyes are half-close. She slowly blink and blink until two innocent faces were clear before her eyes. "Now what?" she mumbles.

 

"I want nuggets for breakfast, Omma." Chanyoung requested with a cute smile.

 

"Mine too, Seohyun Noona." And Jaehyun shyly said while hugging Chanyoung's teddy bear.

 

She scoffed. "You've been liking nuggets too, Chanyoungie?" she knows it's Jaehyun's favorite.

 

"Yes." A big grin plastered Chanyoung's face. 

 

"Not dumplings anymore?"

 

"I love it too." He giggles and he climbs to bed so he could hug his mother and kiss her cheeks.

 

"Jaehyun-ah, come here." Seohyun called the other boy with a sweet smile. He complied and she hug them both with kisses on their face. They giggle and kissed her back. "Now I have more energy to cook your favorites." 

 

"Yeheeey!!!" Jaehyun and Chanyoung jump happily then they hastily jump out of the bed and run outside.

 

"Aigoo, I feel like I birthed Jaehyun too." She smiled giddily and stepped out of the bed, yawning so wide as she stretched her arms upward while facing the window. She smiled even brighter as she realized there are beautiful clouds forming in the morning. But when her eyes averted to the digital clock that has the date, she gasped when she remembers her husband's birthday. "Oh My God, I forgot it's his birthday today." she hastily grabs her phone and there she saw a reminder that says 'It's your husband's birthday! Buy him some gift, Seo Joohyun!'. "Ugh." she literally smack her own forehead. "How did I forgot this. I could've bought a gift yesterday."

 

"Omma, paliiii!!!" Chanyoung's head peek behind the door.

 

"Why are you so hurry? It's your father's birthday today, honey."

 

"What? Chincha?" Excitedly, he runs to his mother. "How old is he?"

 

Seohyun chuckled as she briefly rubs her son's head. "He's 33 now. I think we're going to the mall today." She announced giving her son more reason to be happy.

 

"Kyaaa, I can't wait to see him. But let's have breakfast first. I'm hungry." Chanyoung, however, couldn't stop his starving stomach and he pouted while rubbing it.

 

"Aigoo, araso, araso, I'm coming down now." Seohyun couldn't resist and pinched her son's cheek. He grins and hastily runs outside.

 

Sighing, she returned her attention to her phone and just long pressed number 1. However, just as it started ringing on Yoona's end, she heard Chanyoung and Jaehyun calling her so loud. "Later." She hastily put her phone down and rushed outside before the two could return to the bedroom.

 

 

"When was I born, Omma?" Chanyoung suddenly asked while he was enjoying his nuggets next to Jaehyun in their dining area.

 

"January 28, wae?" ask Seohyun while she's also enjoying her omelet. 

 

"Same as my birthday?" Chanyoung brightened when he heard it. "It's my birthday as well, right Omma?" He giggled which made Jaehyun smile at him.

 

She chuckled. "Yes. Your birthday is when you were born, sweetheard." 

 

"It's a double celebration?" 

 

"Um, basically... one only but why not?" She shrugged her shoulders, couldn't disappoint her son.

 

"But Auntie only celebrates once with me." Chanyoung remembered his last birthday. "I only blow 1 candle." He pulled up his forefinger. He only has one cupcake and they had a barbecue party in his aunt's front yard. 

 

"Oh, next year, we'll have an even bigger party."

 

"Chincha?" Chanyoung excitedly asked.

 

"When is that?" Jaehyun surely wanted to join the party more than anyone. 

 

"It would be in 7 months honey. So... it's a long wait."

 

"Oh." Chanyoung sadly pouted.

 

"But it will come too fast, just don't count the days." Seohyun hastily reassured her son earning his giggles.

 

"This will be Chanyoung's first party with Omma and Appa... and Jaehyun and Jessica Noona." Chanyoung grinned from ear to ear.

 

She smiled and nodded. "Yeah, that will be the most memorable and happiest day." Her heart flutters as she imagines the celebration, the second celebration they'll spend with their son.

 

"Noona, my mom told me earlier by the way that she's going home around four in the afternoon." Jaehyun shared when it crossed his mind. His mother finally got a job 2 days ago in a barbecue restaurant. She always leave early and comes home before supper.

 

"She'll be earlier this time, eh? That's great! We'll have a birthday celebration with her." Seohyun flashes a bright smile at Jaehyun. 

 

"Yes, I'm excited." Jaehyun wiggles while holding his mug of water.

 

"When are we going to the hospital?"

 

"Lunchtime, sweetheart. Let's surprise your Appa." She giggles earning a giggle from her son too.

 

***

 

For the fifth time since he left the therapy room, Yoona let out a sigh when he check his phone and received nothing from his wife. He expect her to even call early in the morning to greet him but no, he had his breakfast in a gloomy mood.

 

"Is there something wrong, Mr. Im?" ask the nurse that was pushing his wheelchair to the lift.

 

"Nothing." He sighs once again and puts his phone down on his lap. "Um, it's just my birthday but not a single text or call did I receive from my wife... or even from my son." He changes his mind and shares his thoughts.

 

"Omo, chincha? Happy Birthday, Mr. Im." Said the nurse brightly as she pressed the button on the lift. "Looks like your family is busy preparing for your birthday."

 

"Do you think so?" He raised his brows as it brings a little hope in him that Seohyun didn't forget his birthday.

 

"No loved ones would ever forget your birthday, Sir. Just wait and see. Your birthday hasn't ended either way." The nurse smiled and returned to his wheelchair as he push him inside the lift. "Who knows there's going to be a surprise?"

 

Yoona smiled as he nodded a little. "I hope so." He suddenly got excited even if it was uncertain.

 

 

The moment they reached the ward, Sunny pulled the confetti and agents are singing him a happy birthday. He chuckled and blushed. The least he expects has to happen instead but he loves it. He appreciates their time for him.

 

"Make a wish." Sunny asked while holding the cake near him.

 

He close his eyes and made a quick wish before blowing the candle. Everyone greeted him and he thanked them for coming. "Omo, you guys don't have to." But he was surprised when they handed them gifts.

 

"You've been such a good colleague, Agent Im. We can't miss this chance. You deserve our love." One of the agents said and everyone agreed, smiling at him genuinely.

 

Yoona got teary-eyed as he received their gifts and he bowed his head to thank them.

 

"Happy birthday again, Agent Im. Enjoy the rest of the day." Sunny said as she smiled and handed her a gift. 

 

"You-"

 

"Just receive it, tsk. See you later." She wink and casually followed her colleagues outside.

 

Yoona is agape and confused. "What... does she mean?" 

 

"I told you, Mr. Im, your friends and family will be here." The nurse said as she took the gifts from his lap and transferred them to the sofa. She was about to return to him to help him but he decided to stand on his own and walk to the bed. 

 

"I would be surprised if what you are thinking will not come true, Nurse Kim." He softly chuckles as he grabs the remote and the tv screen. "Thanks for your service." He added, flashing her a sincere smile. The nurse smiled back and bowed her head before leaving him alone in his ward.

 

When he changed the channel, a news report is flashing on the screen about the fire 2 weeks ago. "Whoa, so they finally have the culprit's face." He wasn't surprised it took some time for the police to retrieve any CCTV footage when the agents weren't even able to capture her. "This Sejeong is something." mumbled him as Sejeong was seen leaving the street easily. She blends in with the people around while wearing casual outfits.

 

Suddenly he heard his phone rings from the table, he averted his attention immediately to the device and can read Seohyun's name flashing on the screen, he hastily reach for it and answer the call. "What's up?" he asked brightly.

 

[Are you seeing this?]

 

He blinks and blink, confusedly. "What?" 

 

[Sejeong, they're finally giving a reward to whoever gets to tell her location. Does the Agency know about this?]

 

'Damn, she doesn't remember or what?' He's totally disappointed but he decided to brush it off. "I'm sure they know. Heard earlier they're conducting checkpoints later in the evening in an attempt to find her." 

 

[Oh, that's good to hear. This Sejeong needs to be captured as soon as possible.]

 

"I know right? The community is in danger while she's still at large. By the way, don't you remember something today?" He grabs the chance to ask.

 

[Oh, you're going to be discharged in 2 days, right?]

 

'What? Seriously?' He is more disappointed now and it frustrates him. "I'm talking about today. Today, Seo Joohyun."

 

[It's Friday, why?]

 

"Ugh." He rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Whatever." Mumbled him.

 

[You're silly. But we're going later lunch.] Seohyun giggles on the next line.

 

"Yeah, see you later then."

 

[By the way, what do you want me to buy for lunch? I think it's-]

 

"Just the usual. You know the doctor is going to scold me if I continue to eat fast food." He interrupted. 

 

[Okay. Love you baby.]

 

He smiled at least. "Always love you, Seo Joohyun." 'Even though you don't remember my birthday. Tsk.'

 

[See you later.] Seohyun replied with a smooch and ended the call.

 

He lazily throw his phone back to the table and whined childishly. "I hate you, Seo Joohyuuun!!!"

 

***

 

"Thank you." Seohyun smiled as she took her card back, paying for the stuff they were planning to give to her husband. She grabs the paper bags and turns to find her son and Jaehyun, talking to the sales ladies in a toy store. "What are they doing? Flirting on the ladies?" She chuckled as she casually walked out of the store. "Im Chanyoung, Jung Jaehyun!" She called them softly.

 

Both boys turned their heads toward her. "Omma, look." And Chanyoung happily showed his new superman figure.

 

"I got spiderman too, Noona." Jaehyun also showed his.

 

"Omo, how did you guys get that? You didn't have money, do you?" She's surprised and as she checks the price, it's as expensive as a smartphone. "Return this!" she demanded.

 

"No!" Chanyoung took his toy immediately.

 

"Um, Someone paid it for them, Ma'am." The sales lady told her.

 

"Someone?" 

 

"A stranger. A man. He's so good." Jaehyun said as he flashed a grin.

 

"Didn't I tell you to not talk to strangers?" She reminded.

 

"But he insisted." Chanyoung frowned as he hugs his toy. "And I want this toy, Omma."

 

Seohyun scoffed. "C-can I see the CCTV, Miss?" But she wanted to make sure that someone is indeed a randoms stranger and not some bad guys.

 

"Yeah, sure, Ma'am. Follow me." The sales lady confirmed.

 

"Follow me." Seohyun instructed the boys as she follows the sales lady to their CCTV room. Chanyoung and Jaehyun complied, following her behind quietly. 

 

The sales lady asked their IT manager to review the captured scene of the man earlier. 

 

"That." And when the boys saw him, they pointed in unison.

 

The video pause and Seohyun take a closer look to the monitor. The man was wearing a baseball cap along with a black face mask. "He's definitely look suspiciously." 

 

"The man looks kind, Omma." Chanyoung however denied his mother's claim.

 

"Wae? Were you able to talk to him for a little longer?"

 

"Yes, I ask why he wanted us to buy." Jaehyun answered.

 

"And what did he tell you?" She crossed her arms as she looked at them in vice versa.

 

"He said he likes superman and spiderman too so he wanted to buy it for us." Chanyoung explained softly.

 

"That's it only? And you guys didn't decline?"

 

"I declined." Jaehyun raised his hand.

 

"But Chanyoung didn't?" She smirks at her own son. 

 

"Also he bought those sets of dolls earlier. He said he's going to give it to his daughter." Chanyoung shared rather than defending himself. "So I think... he's a kind person."

 

Seohyun softly chuckled. "Aigoo... you really don't want to be scolded. Tsk. Come on, let's get out here." She said and bowed to the sales lady before walking out of the room with the boys. 'He definitely saw them first and walked into the store to talk to them.' She thought as she recalls the CCTV footage. 'Was it just a random stranger?'

 

Chanyoung pouted sadly upon hearing his mother's thoughts. He had no reason to suspect the man when he give them the toys out of kindness. 

 

"Yah, Chanyoung-ah, are you okay?" Jaehyun noticed the expression of his friend while they were following his mother.

 

"Nothing." Chanyoung flashed him an assuring smile.

 

"Hurry up, boys. We're not going to let your father wait for a long time." S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter