Chapter 9

The Fill-in Bride

Jimin flinched when he felt the ray of sunshine hitting his face. His eyes fluttered to the brightness, and he opened his eyes. A smile appeared on his face when he saw Mari sitting beside him while reading her lecture notes and leaning on the wall behind her. Jimin massaged his temple for a few seconds to relieve his hangover. He drank a lot last night, and his alcohol tolerance has decreased after not drinking any alcohol for the past month. Jimin looked at the watch that was still on his wrist. it was 9 in the morning. 

"Morning~!" Mari whispered as she smiled at him. 

"Hmmm ..." Jimin replied as he hugged his pillow. He's already gotten used to sleeping on the floor mattress after living with Mari. He got the best sleep quality while living with her, as everything in her room seemed right to him. The temperature, the smell, the brightness and the ambience, everything was perfect for him. Mari continued to read her notes while Jimin hugged a pillow, recovering from his hangover. 

"Where are you going?" Jimin opened his eyes again when he noticed Mari's movement. 

"I'm getting ready to go to work today," She replied as she walked to her small make-up table. Jimin just nodded his head as he sat up straight and folded the blanket along with the floor mattress. Jimin sat silently as his eyes watched Mari getting ready to go to work. Mari's waist-length wavy hair was tucked into a tight bun, and she glossed her lips with some coral-tinted lipstick. Jimin chuckled as he watched the woman tilting her head a few times to look at her face in the mirror.

"Jimin-shi!" Mari's voice causes Jimin to be snapped back to reality. 

"What's wrong?" Jimin asked. 

"I think my hormone got better in this second trimester, right? I'm no longer nauseous, and look at my skin! It's glowing," Mari pointed at her face in excitement which caused Jimin to laugh as he looked at her antics. 

"If then, isn't it good news?" Jimin replied. He noticed that, too, she rarely becomes nauseous nowadays, and she's no longer sensitive to smell. Remembering how grandma was able to cook some soybean paste soup yesterday without Mari running back and forth to the bathroom is actually a huge improvement. 

"Of course~!" She cheered in a loud voice. Jimin nodded before standing up and going to the bathroom to freshen up. After five minutes in the bathroom, Jimin walked out of the bathroom. Mari was no longer inside the room or anywhere in the house. Jimin sat beside Mari's grandma, who was watching a variety of shows on the television. The older woman seems to enjoy her Sunday morning by watching some of Yoo Jaesuk's shows. 

"Grandma, where is Mari?" Jimin asked as his eyes wandered around the house. 

"She's gone to work. Aigo~! Jimin-ah, go eat some breakfast and go back to sleep. You were too drunk last night, aigo~!" The grandma shook her head as she looked at Jimin with a worried face. "Next time, don't cry in front of the door whenever you're back home drunk," Grandma added as she hit Jimin's arm. Grandma shook her head again and again before she continued to watch television. Jimin scratched his head in embarrassment. Did he really cry when he got home last night? Why did he cry? 

 

"Maria~! Maria~!" Hoseok sang as soon as Mari got into the coffee shop.  Hoseok pulled Mari into a tight hug before Mari could go to the locker room. Mari rolled her eyes as she pushed her boss away from her. He didn't have to overreact like this whenever he saw her. "Mari-ah, did you know my wife is currently pregnant?" 

"Really? When did you know she's pregnant?" Mari put a hand over . Hoseok had wished to have his kids since the first day he married his wife. But his wife is a busy surgeon working at a huge hospital, and pregnancy was not an easy option. 

"The day you came, you said you wanted to work with us again." 

"Congratulation, boss. Having a baby is a blessing to your marriage," 

"I know~! Since my wife got to know about your pregnancy. She was no longer scared to be pregnant," Hoseok replied. It was not a lie. Mari was also his wife's favourite barista. She always asked for her news went Hoseok told her Mari was pregnant and wanted to quit working in his coffee shop. A college student who got pregnant and still fighting to get her scroll in her bachelor's degree.

"Did Jimin tell you we're going for a short weekend trip?" Hoseok crossed his arm as he sat down on an empty chair. 

"No. Why?" 

"Oh, really? Then, I should ask Jimin to bring you along too," 

"Nope, I refuse. Why would I go on a short trip with you guys? It's going to be hella awkward," 

"Yah~! Why would things be awkward? You're not Jimin's  wife or Taehyung's girlfriend, right?" 

"Are you in your right mind? Boss? Do I need to tell you what happened between Taehyung and me?" Mari rolled her eyes in frustration as Hoseok looked nonchalant about his previous statement. He just shrugged and raised his hands as if he knew nothing.

"Looks, what's past is past, okay? Nowadays, these kinds of complicated relationships are normal. I'll persuade Jimin to bring you along. My wife will be there, so don't worry." Hoseok replied before he went back into his working room. Namjoon and Jimin wanted to celebrate Hoseok on his good news, so they decided to go for a short day trip near the beach. Upon hearing the invitation, his wife wanted Jimin to bring Mari along on the short trip. It will be exciting to talk about pregnancy with another pregnant lady.

 

A few days later ~

"Jimin-shi!!! I'm not going!" Mari stomped her feet as she went to the living room. Leaving Jimin blinking his eyes in their room alone. Did he ask for something too much? He had just invited her on a short trip to Namjoon's summer house. It would be a relaxing trip for her and the baby. Jimin stood up and chased after her in the living room. 

"Why? Pregnant ladies need a relaxing environment for the baby to grow healthily." Jimin said as he pulled Mari's slender hand. 

"No, that trip would be stressful for me. Kim Taehyung will be there too, right?" Mari raised her left brow, questioning Jimin, who was holding her hand tightly. Pleading to her that she should come on the short trip too. 

"It'll be just a two-night stay. It won't be long. Please~!" 

"No, no. I'm not going," 

"Mari-ah! Why are you refusing to go on a short trip with your husband?" Grandma appeared in the living from her room. Watching the two young adults arguing about going on a short trip. Mari was about to open to say something, but she closed it back. She knew that it would sound weird that she's avoiding Jimin's friends. She didn't want to lie anymore, so she smiled at the old woman. 

"Please~! My cute little wife? Hmm? Pretty, please!" Jimin wrapped his arm around her shoulder when he saw that she was hesitating in front of her grandmother. A frown formed on her flawless face as she nodded her head. Jimin chuckled before he pinched the tip of her nose. "Thank you, my wife. Now, let's go!" 

"Let's go?? Like, right now?" Mari gasped as she looked at Jimin in disbelief. She thought that the trip would be tomorrow. "My clothes?" Mari asked as she was flabbergasted.

"I already packed it yesterday." Jimin smiled wittily at her, which caused Mari's eyes to bulge in surprise. Did he really pack her clothes? 

"Yah!!! Why wou-" 

"Shhh~! I'm practising for the future. Always pack the pregnant lady's bag earlier because we would never know when you will give birth," Jimin stated as if giving her a short lecture. Mari was about to argue more, but Jimin shut her down with a gentle tug on her hand, signalling that she should walk. Mari pouted as she followed Jimin's steps. 

"Bye, grandma~! See you on Sunday~!" Jimin waved his hand to Mari's grandma before the old lady shook her head with a small laugh. 

"Wait~! Let me kiss and hug grandma before we go," Mari pulled her hand away from Jimin's grip. Mari walked to her grandma and showered the old woman's face with kisses before she walked back to Jimin's side. Mari made a sad face as she waved her hands to her grandmother. Jimin nudged her arm with his elbow, causing Mari to turn her head to look at the man. "What?" 

"Hold my hand," He said as he raised his hand to her face. 

"I'm not running away~" Mari replied as she hit his hand away. 

"Can you just-" Jimin was about to say more. But Mari nodded her head fast as she grabbed his hand and held it. She intertwined their fingers and raised them to his face.  She rolled her eyes as Jimin nodded his head in satisfaction. She knew that arguing would only make her emotionally drained. 

 

After four hours of driving, they arrived at a secluded private property in Gyeonggi-do. Mari yawned as she opened her eyes when she felt the car was on a bumpy road. The car was moving upward on a hill, and surrounded by trees everywhere. Mari rubbed her eyes as she sat straight and corrected her position.  A huge metal gate was at the end of the bumpy road. At that time, Mari knew, that Jimin and his friend were not regular rich people. They are filthy rich people who could afford to buy a hill and make a private mansion on it. 

Jimin rolled down his window as he showed his face at the surveillance camera at the side of the gate. "Didn't the guard alert them that I'm here?" Jimin mumbled as he took out his phone from his pocket. He was trying to make a phone call. In less than five minutes, Jung Hosoek comes running towards the metal gate, waving his hand towards Jimin. 

"Yah! Let me in!" Jimin yelled as he saw Hoseok running towards his car as the metal gate opened. 

"I'm sorry, Jimin-ah! I think you better go back to Seoul," Hoseok said as he stole glances at the front. 

"W-what? Why??" 

"Mari-ah, I'm sorry. Jimin, I think you should send Mari to the nearest bus station, and you could come back here after you send her." 

"What are you talking about? Yah! It was you who wanted her to come!!" Jimin sighed as he shook his head. What the hell is wrong with his friend? It was not easy for him to convince Mari to come with him on this trip, and suddenly Hoseok wanted him to send Mari back by using public transport. Did Mari seem like a pushover in his eyes? 

"Oh my God! What should we do!?!?!" Hoseok ruffled his hair as he squatted down beside Jimin's car. 

"Yah! Jung Hoseok! What's going on?" Jimin rolled his eyes as he watched Hoseok being over dramatic. 

"Joy came." Taehyung appeared out of nowhere, with his arms crossing over his torso. He stole some glances at Mari, who seemed lost beside Jimin.  Jimin's eyes bulged when he heard the name. 

"She's here?" Jimin gasped as a smile of joy appeared on his face. Did he hear him right? Did his real lover really come to join their short trip? His eyes brightened as another beautiful smile appeared on his face. "Is she in the mansion right now? Did she want to see me?" Jimin asked as excitement showed on his face. He no longer felt the tiredness of the long drive when he heard her name. 

"That's why I told you to send Mari back home. What would you say to Joy if she saw both of you came together?" Hoseok stood up again and pointed his finger at Mari. 

"Oh! oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know I shouldn't be here," Mari stuttered with an awkward smile at the three men looking at her. Mari unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of Jimin's car. She took her purse with her as she nodded her head in understanding of the situation. From their conversation, she knew she shouldn't be there with Jimin because it would confuse his fiance. 

"Kwon Mari! Where do you think you're going?" Jimin got out of his car when Mari got out of his car and walk away with her purse. 

"Jimin-shi, it's okay. I understand your position. I'll find my way home, and I think the bus stop is not too far away from here," Mari makes up a lie as she puts on a smile on her face. She knew it. She knew that the bus stop was at least twenty kilometres away, but this was the least she could do to help Jimin. "Just enjoy your short trip," Mari added before she turned around to walk away further from the three men. Before she could walk more, Jimin was already at her side and grabbed her tiny wrist. 

"No, you're not going anywhere. I don't trust you with public transport," Jimin said gently as he tucked her arm to his side and pulled her back to his car. 

"What are you doing?" Hoseok asked as Jimin opened the door for Mari to get back into his car. 

"What? You should've told me about Joy earlier. I'll head back home. Just enjoy this short trip and please, treat Joy kindly," 

"What!? Yah!! We barely had any time to go on a trip!" Taehyung said as anger showed on his face. 

"Taehyung-ah, can you try to understand Jimin's position? How should Jimin introduce Mari to Joy if he went inside with Mari? It will make Joy run away further from Jimin. Did you know how hard it is for Jimin to even get in touch with Joy after she flees?" Hoseok said as he looked at Jimin's conflicted face. He knew how much Jimin wanted to see Joy right now. Jimin patted Hoseok's arm as he appreciated his understanding. 

"Okay,.. I get it. We can introduce Mari as my girlfriend, who is currently pregnant," 

"Yah!! Why would your girlfriend take Jimin's car to come here?" 

"Let's say... it was because she had classes that she needed to attend. Mari is a university student, right?" 

"Are you okay with that, Jimin? Taehyung is very good at pretending, so don't worry, okay?" Hoseok replied as he hopped into Jimin's car too. Without saying much, Taehyung got into Jimin's car, too, as he was lazy to walk. On the other hand, Mari just remained silent at the sudden situation. Now, she needed to act as if she and Taehyung were in a relationship in front of Jimin's real fiance. The fiance that left him a week before the ceremony? The fiance that he never forgot about. Mari inhaled sharply as the truth about Jimin clenched her heart. 

 

"Jimin," A soft voice was heard as Jimin took a few steps forward towards the front door of the Korean-style mansion. A mansion with a nicely decorated courtyard in the middle of it. Jimin turned his head in the direction of the voice, and his eyes were glued to the beautiful figure that called out his name softly. She cut her hair. That was the first thing that he noticed. She cut her beautiful brown hair to a bob haircut, highlighting her long neck and beautiful facial structure. 

"Joeun," Jimin said her name for the first time after a long time. It was a relief that she didn't try to avoid him. The duffle bag on his shoulder was thrown to the ground as he ran towards her. He missed her. He missed them. Jimin pulled Joy into a tight hug. Both of them fell into a long pause of silence as they embraced each other. No words could describe his feeling right now. 

Mari, who was a few feet away from the couple, just looked at the duffle bag that lay on the ground. Jimin packed her clothes and his clothes in one bag. How is she supposed to pass Jimin's belonging in this bag without creating a misunderstanding? Mari sighed as she picked up the bag. Hoseok scratched his neck, he could not help but feel guilty. He was the one that wanted Mari to be here. Hoseok then took the bag from her and placed his around her shoulder. 

"Let me show the way for you," Hoseok said in his typical cheerful manner. 

"Boss, don't you think that I should go back?" Mari whispered to the man who was now escorting her into the mansion's hallway. 

"No, my wife had been waiting for your arrival. Aren't you excited to meet another pregnant lady? Do you know that the chance of meeting a pregnant lady in Korea rarely happens?" Hoseok added as he dragged Mari away from Jimin, Joy and Taehyung. He knew that Mari would be uncomfortable being with them.

 

Jimin and Joy went to the mansion's lawn, where a cute garden table was located.  None of them said anything as they sat down on the chairs. Jimin got so many questions that he wanted to ask, but he was afraid that his question might initiate an unnecessary fight. He didn't want to fight. Meanwhile, Joy, she was eaten by her guilty feeling when she looks at Jimin's face. 

"How have you been?" Joy asked with a gentle smile as she didn't know how to start talking to Jimin. 

"Missing you," Jimin replied as his soft doe eyes stared at the woman he loved. 

"I'm sorry, Jimin. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry that I choose my career over you. I'm sorry that I ran away before telling you anything, and I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about the job offer earlier... I apologize for everything that I've done to you," Joy stuttered as she bowed her head, feeling guilty for leaving him behind. 

"You knew that I'll always support your dream and career. Never once in my life that I thought that I should stop you from chasing your dream. I didn't know that I made you feel uncomfortable telling me anything... " Jimin sighed. 

"No ... no ... You didn't make me uncomfortable," 

"Then, why? Why did you leave me like this?"

"I... I was scared that I might change my decision to accept the job offer in Hollywood if I saw your face,"

"... ," Jimin remained silent as he stared at the beautiful lady in front of him. The face that makes him lose his sleep, the face that he always misses. 

 "I know that couldn't stick to my decision if I see you. I love you so much. I know that I would change my mind if I saw your face. That's why I left without meeting you or seeing you... I'm sorry," Joeun explained while she reached out her hand to touch Jimin's hand.

 

Taehyung sipped his coffee as he looked out of the window and saw Jimin talking to Joy in the garden. Taehyung shook his head. This is the reason why he hates committing his heart to only one woman. He didn't want to be stuck in a situation like Jimin. If Jimin didn't rush the wedding date, this thing wouldn't happen. Taehyung sighed as he walked down the hallway towards the source of the noisy voices. 

"Honey! Try touching her baby bump. I can feel the foetus kicking," Jung Sena, Hoseok's wife, cheered in excitement as she could feel the movement of the foetus in Mari's baby bump. 

"Can we really feel it just by touching the bump?" Hoseok asked as he placed his palm on Mari's swollen bump. 

"Can both of you stop overreacting to a pregnant lady?" Mari rolled her eyes and pushed Hoseok's hand from touching her. 

"What do you mean overreacting? We're just excited to see the progress of your pregnancy," Sena smiled before she placed her ear on Mari's baby bump, which caused Mari to just shook her head in a peal of small laughter. The husband and wife are so funny when she lets them touch her baby bump. Taehyung stood at the door frame of the room as he watched them interact with each other.

"Why are you guys so excited to have babies?" Taehyung muttered as he walked further into the room. 

"Because our baby is the fruit of our love~!"  Hoseok said as he placed his hand on top of Sena's hand, which caused Mari to scoff. 

"Boss, did you forget, you used to hate babies? Especially when the parents came to the cafe, and the baby cried." 

"Well, those babies are not mine... " Hoseok jokingly pushes Mari's shoulder, which causes the girl to laugh as Sena hits her husband for his action. 

"Taehyung-ah, aren't you planning to have a baby with your current girlfriend?" Sena asked as Taehyung sat on an armchair a few feet away from the bed they were sitting on. 

"His girlfriend is a top model. What makes you think the decision to have a baby is on him?"

"Yah! What makes you think I want a kid?" Taehyung spat bluntly as he crossed his arm. Hoseok and Sena just let out a laugh after hearing his words. Mari just nodded her head as she looked at her boss and his wife, who was laughing. Did they know that she was pregnant with Taehyung's kids right now? Is this fun for them? 

"W-wait! Isn't this baby belongs to-" Sena's words were cut short by a glare from Hoseok. Taehyung and Mari looked at each other when they heard her words. Those words from Sena caused the room to fall into silence. Nobody knows how to continue with their conversation anymore. As the room fell in complete silence, Mari suddenly yelped in pain. It was one of those episodes of pregnancy cramps. 

"What's wrong, Mari-shi?" Sena, who was a doctor, asked as she held onto Mari's arm tightly. 

"It's a pregnancy cramp that I always had."

"Are you already in your second trimester?" Sena added. 

"Yup, I am currently at 20 weeks," 

"That's no longer a typical pregnancy cramp. It's Braxton Hicks, or in simple words, it's false labour pain," 

"Ah, that's why it is really painful," 

"Is it really painful? Can you handle it, Maria?" Hoseok asked. He was worried. Mari is alone, and she only has her grandma by her side. How is she going to go thru such rough pregnancy? Mari just nodded her head with a small smile on her face. Taehyung's eyes remained on Mari's small baby bump. Those words she said to him a few weeks ago echoed in his brain. Promise me that you'll never try to take away my child from me; those words came back to him out of the blue. As if he was possessed, Taehyung put down the coffee cup that he carried around and walked towards Mari. Sena, Hoseok and Mari, who were discussing pregnancy, look at the man in surprise. He stands right in front of Mari, towering over the three people. 

"May I touch it?" Taehyung pointed at Mari's baby bump. His request causes Sena and Hoseok to be surprised for the second time. Taehyung wants to touch a pregnancy bump? That does not sound real at all.

"No," Mari denied his request as she covered her belly with both of her hands. Taehyung nodded his head before he decided to walk out of the room. Leaving the three people in their parenthood world.  Taehyung walked away from the room and went straight to the nearest bathroom. He needed to wake himself up. Did he really think the baby belonged to him?

"Taehyung-ah, where are Hoseok and Sena?" Joeun's voice causes Taehyung to flinch as he opens the bathroom door. 

"They're in the guest room with Mari," 

"Who is Mari?" Joeun raised her brows as she looked at Taehyung and Jimin, who were standing beside her. Without saying much, Taehyung signalled Joeun to follow in his step. Jimin, on the other hand, arranged his step slowly behind Joeun. Will she believe in their lies? 

"What are you guys doing here!?!" Joy asked in her cheerful voice once she barged into the room where Hoseok, Sena and Mari were in. Joeun's eye fell on the beautiful young lady with long wavy hair sitting between Hoseok and Sena. Mari might not wear fancy or y clothes, but she is a really pretty young lady.