Chapter 6

The Fill-in Bride

"Joy? Are you there?" Jimin asked again and look at the screen of his phone again and again. 

"..." The person from the other side of the line remains silent. 

"Choi Joeun? Joy, can you just say something..." Jimin sighed and ruffled his newly dried hair. His heart was pumping as if it was about to explode when Joy's name appeared on the screen of his phone. He's been waiting for her call since the day she left him. He was willing to listen to all her words. He had been calling her number since the day she left but none of the calls was picked up by her. The person who called him remained silent as she listened to Jimin's question. She didn't want to say anything as any word that might come out of may crumble her emotion. "I know you're feeling guilty for leaving me behind," Jimin added after a long pause. 

"But you need to know that I'm still here waiting for you. I'll wait for the time when you're ready to be my wife. Just take care of yourself and focus on your work. I know we'll figure things out, we always do and always did." Jimin stated as he walked back and forth in the small room while Mari watched his every move. Mari silently took her place on the mattress and pull the blanket to cover herself. Something doesn't feel right, her heart was aching when she heard Jimin plead. 

Mari turned her body and face the wall of her room. Her heart was not at peace and her mind was in complete confusion. Why did her heart hurt so bad when she heard Jimin's words toward his lover. Did she start to fall in love with Jimin? Mari clutched her heart as she tried to close her eyes tight. Did she really fall in love with Jimin? Her mind was in complete confusion. Is it a sense of reliance or is it really love? 

"I'm sorry .." A slow voice was heard from the other side of the line causing Jimin to stop moving back and forth. It was her. It was Choi Joeun's voice, the voice of the woman that he loves. 

"No... I'm sorry. I should've discussed more with you about the marriage and your future plan. I'm sorry that you couldn't rely on me and be someone you can be honest to," 

"...."

"Joeun, just focus on your job now and come back to me when you're ready. Okay? Hmm?"

"..." 

"I'll still be here at the place where you left me. Just come back when you're ready. Hmm?" Jimin's final words before Joeun cut off the line.  Jimin sat on the mattress after the call ended. He looks at the screen for a few minutes. His heart was still thumping due to the sudden call he received from Joeun. He laid down on the mattress as his eyes were still on his phone. He was hurt when she left him a few days before their wedding but he admitted that it was his fault. He should've planned their future together instead of making the decision on his own. The room was in complete silence as he snapped back to reality and look at Mari who was already fallen asleep beside him. He felt bad whenever he looks at Mari. 

"I wish you give birth faster,..." Jimin mumbled as he stared at her back before he closed his two eyes. Listening to Jimin's words an unknown tear escaped from the lid of her eyes that was shut. She didn't want to be a burden to anyone but right now, she felt as if she was a burden to Jimin. She didn't ask for him to be here and pretended to be her husband to care for the baby. She can go through this pregnancy alone on her own. Jimin wished for her to give birth faster making her feel as if she was the one who wanted Jimin to take care of her. 

 

"Mari?" Jimin knocked on the door of the bathroom. He was woken up by Mari's loud footsteps running to the bathroom like the past three weeks. But today she locked the door, which left Jimin outside of the bathroom in confusion and anxiousness. Jimin placed his ear on the door of the bathroom, to hear her steps.  After a long ten minutes, Mari opened the door of the bathroom with a wet face. Jimin's eyes bulged at the sudden movement of the bathroom door that makes him almost stumble on his feet. 

Jimin sighed as his eyes lay on Mari's face. She walked past him and sat on the dining chair to preserve the energy in her body from draining more. Jimin followed her steps and squat down to look at Mari's face as he had always done for the past three weeks. Jimin wiped Mari's wet face with his sleeve before he stood up and make some honey lemon tea. She looks like she was not in the mood to talk to anyone right now, which causes Jimin to zip his mouth shut even though he got a few questions that he wanted to ask. Mari mouthed a short thank you to him after she drank the honey lemon tea. Mari went into her room right away without having her breakfast leaving Jimin to eat breakfast alone at the dining table.

"Jimin-shi, I'm going. My friend Yubin will pick me up today," After five minutes, Mari walked out of her room with her backpack, ready to go to her campus. 

"Mari-shi, you still didn't eat anything yet," Jimin who was eating his breakfast earlier chased after Mari who was at the front door. 

"Actually, I need to submit my assignment in half an hour. You should eat more, I'm going. Goodbye~!" Mari stated before she opened the door and waved goodbye to Jimin. Jimin look at the closed door. He went back to the dining table to eat his breakfast but his action halted when he look at the untouched bowl of rice that is prepared for Mari by her grandmother. Jimin sighed before he took the bowl of rice and eat it. 

 

"Namjoon?" Jimin asked as soon as he parked his car in the basement of his office building. Namjoon who was waiting in the lobby of the building turned his head around when he heard Jimin's voice. Jimin's hair was a little unkempt and he looks like he gained some weight. "What are you doing here?" Jimin asked. 

"You still got half an hour before the clock in time. Let's go for some coffee," Namjoon replied. 

"Sure," Jimin nodded his head and followed his best friend to the coffee shop located in the lobby of the office building. It had been a month since the last time he met Namjoon and his other friends. His life totally revolved around Mari and her pregnancy journey. Whenever he opened his social media, he'll check out maternity posts or pregnancy informational posts. His life was totally flipped since he had been staying with Mari. He didn't even drink alcohol for the past three weeks. 

"Where did you go? Did you know all of us are looking for you?" Namjoon asked. 

"I know, ..." 

"Then why didn't you pick up our calls?" 

"I was slightly busy," 

"With what??? You came to your office late on daily basis and you even move out of your house? What the hell are you doing right now??" 

"I didn't move out of my house. That house is still my house," 

"If then, where did you stay all this time?" 

"I was with Kwon Mari. I was at her house," Jimin replied without any intonation. He felt as if he had already run out of energy since he arrived at his office. Was he infected with Mari's morning sickness symptoms? Jimin shook his head as he took a sip of his black coffee. 

"Kwon Mari? The girl that becomes your fill-in bride??"

"Yup," 

"Wait, what? Why are you staying with her? Didn't you tell me that she was pregnant with Taehyung's kid the last time we see each other?" 

"Yup, she is Kwon Mari. The girl that claimed Taehyung knocked her out, that Kwon Mari, I was with her all these time,"

"Why are you staying with her?" Namjoon shook his head in shock as he rubbed his face with his two palms. 

"She's pregnant and needs someone to rely on." 

"Did she ask for your money or something? Did she threaten you?" 

"No, it's just, I felt bad that she had to deal with her pregnancy alone. She was not well off to pay for all those medical bills or even buying any maternity materials. So, she makes me feel like I should offer bits of help." 

"So are you saying, this was some kind of charity activity that you always pull?" Namjoon asked with one of his brows raisings. Jimin was someone that has some soft spot for single mothers and orphans. He loves to help people anytime and anywhere without thinking much of the consequences. He is someone that is so kind to even refuse a request by a stranger. "Are you sure she didn't threaten you?" Namjoon asked for reassurance. Jimin shook his head with his mind flying to other places. 

 

"Mari-ah, are you okay?" Yubin asked as she put down a cup of watermelon juice in front of her friend who seems to be spacing out. Mari turned her head to look at Yubin who was now looking at her with a worried look. 

"Yubin-ah, my chest hurt since last night... what should I do?" 

"Where?? Do you want to go to a hospital?" Yubin asked as she grabbed Mari's shoulder tightly. Mari shook her head, thinking that it was probably a good time to tell Yubin that she is currently pregnant. Mari bit her lips as she look into Yubin's worried eyes. Mari had been wearing loose clothing since her baby bump started to grow. None of her friends was able to tell that she is currently near her fourth month of pregnancy. 

"Yubin-ah,..." 

"What's wrong?" 

"I'm pregnant," 

Yubin who was currently holding Mari's arms tightly let go of her arms as she moved her hands to cover that was omitting a silent scream. Yubin shook her head in denial as she look at Mari in disbelief. Mari never had a boyfriend, then, how the hell did she get pregnant? Yubin shook her head again as she look down at Mari's now covered belly. Mari was someone who love wearing loose clothes, but recently Yubin noticed that Mari never once wore a simple t-shirt anymore. She will layer her clothes with some other oversized hoodies and jackets. Mari silently took Yubin's right hand and place it on top of her small baby bump. 

"Woah!!" Yubin yelled in shock as she could feel the hardness of the baby bump underneath the thick hoodie worn by Mari. "Who's the father of this child? H-how far are you?" Yubin whispered slowly as she glances around, hoping that nobody saw their interaction. 

"I'm currently at the end of the first trimester. Thirteen weeks to be exact." Mari replied as tears suddenly formed in her eyes. She has been wanting to tell Yubin about her pregnancy but she never finds the right time to tell her best friend about it. Yubin looks into Mari's eyes that look slightly confused and overwhelmed? Without asking anything, she pulled the girl into a hug and pat her back gently. She knows Mari for the past few years, she had her own vision in life, she once told her that she wanted to be an established woman, purchased her own cars and properties and went on trips with her grandma before she build her own family. 

"Things happen for a reason Mari-ah. I know that this baby will be a huge blessing in your life," Yubin said as she place her palm on top of the baby bulge. 

 

Mari walked back from her university right after her classes ended. She didn't answer any of Jimin's calls today. Her mind was a complete mess. She knows that she unconsciously relies too much on Jimin. She looks down at the vibrating phone in her right hand. Jimin's name was written on the screen which causes Mari to look at the screen without many reactions. She realized that for the past three weeks she was too excited to answer calls from Jimin. Something was absolutely not right with her heart and mind right now. 

Mari kept the phone in her bag as she hop on a bus. She needs to earn more money to support the baby delivery cost. She cannot rely on Jimin for financial support. It feels wrong for her to accept his financial help when both of them actually do not have any kind of special relationship. After 20 minutes, Mari finds herself standing in front of the coffee shop that belongs to Jung Hoseok. Her previous part-time job place. 

"Maria!!! Maria!!" Hoseok yelled as soon as he spotted Mari in front of his coffee shop, staring at the entrance of the coffee shop. Mari was an excellent worker of his, she was the reason why his shop got so many regular customers. She was friendly and warm with all of his customers causing all of his customers to feel comfortable coming to the coffee shop. Mari bowed her head as Hoseok walked towards her while opening his arm really wide. He gave the girl a short hug before dragging the girl into his office. 

"Maria, do you want to work for me again?" Hoseok asked as he pulled a chair for Mari to sit on before he walked to his chair. 

"C-can I do that?" She asked as she put on a small awkward smile on her lips.  

"Of course, you can! Taehyun couldn't handle the counter and the kitchen alone," Hoseok replied with excitement. He pull out his wallet and take out some money and gave it to Mari. Which causes Mari to step back and look at him in shock. 

"I didn't even start yet," 

"This is your allowance. Use this to pay for your travelling expenses coming to my shop," He replied before he stand back up and ruffled Mari's hair.  "Go home for now and come here like you usually do and you can start tomorrow," Hoseok winked his eyes while flashing his gummy smile as he walked out of his office room and pick up his phone call that had been vibrating for a couple of minutes.  

Mari looked at the apron with her name tag attached to it was still nicely placed in the workers' lockers. She had a lot of scenarios playing in her mind right now. How will she react when Taehung come for his morning coffee? Should she just find another job? Mari looks at her name tag for a few seconds and her hand unconsciously touches her baby bump. She's going to be a mother, but she should find some money to pay her bills. Kang Taehyun walked into the locker spaces in a rush when Hoseok told him that Mari is going to work with them again. 

"Noona!! You're going to work with us again?" Taehyun asked. 

"Yes, I need money to support myself and my little one," Mari smiled and pointed at her tummy. Her replies cause Taehyun to cover his mouth with both of his hands as he walked closer to her.  Taehyun reduce the distance between him and Mari and pointed at her unseen tummy that is hidden behind her baggy clothes. Taehyun unconsciously sighed as he squatted down to level his head to her tummy. 

"Hello, I'm uncle Taehyun. Nice meeting you," He said shortly which causes Mari to laugh and push his head away. 

"Yah! You're too young to be an uncle. You barely graduate from high school, how can you be an uncle?" She replied before she walked away from Taehyung with a cheerful laugh. She did know that she was capable to tell people about her pregnancy openly like that. Maybe, she comes to a point where she's no longer wanted to hide it and accept her pregnancy. She going to be a proud mother and raise her child full of love. Mari walked out of the locker room, but her steps were halted when she saw Taehyung sitting calmly while looking down on his phone in the cafe. Taehyung who was sitting while waiting for his coffee, raised his head when he felt as if somebody was staring at him. He was right! Someone is staring at him. 

Mari looked away after a few seconds of eyes clashing with Taehyung's. Mari ignored his presence and turn her head around to look for her boss. She needs to say something to Hoseok before she left. Mari didn't want to be at the front bar anymore, she wanted to be in the kitchen and silently prepare food for her customers. "Beomgyu-shi, did you see Mr Jung?" Mari turned her body around and went to the counter and asked the new cashier. 

"Oh, he went to pick up his wife from work. He'll be back in five minutes." 

"That's okay. I'll just text him," Mari smiled as bowed her head politely to the new cashier that replaced her old position.

"Kwon Mari!" Mari was about to walk away from the counter when she heard someone screaming out her name from her back.

"J-jimin-sh-sh-, Jimin-shi?" Mari cover to the sudden embarrassment that swept across her face. All of the customers in the coffee shop were now looking in her direction and Jimin was at the entrance of the shop. Jimin sighed and cupped his angry face. He was almost crazy when he couldn’t call Mari all day. Jimin arranged his steps forward while his hair back. He was worried and restless when his call is not answered by Mari. 

"Why didn't you answer my call?" Jimin asked ignoring all the stares that he got from making a scene as soon as he walked into the coffee shop. Mari smiled awkwardly as she bowed her head to the people who were disturbed by their drama. Mari took Jimin's hand and continued to bow her head to the disturbed customer. She was about to drag Jimin out of the cafe when the man's eyes met Taehyung's. 

"Taehyung-ah," Jimin said as he saw Taehyung was there sitting in the cafe waiting for his coffee.  "Jimin-ah, why are you here? Why are you looking for Mari?" Taehyung asked as he look at Mari's little fingers that were holding on to Jimin's right hand. Mari look at both Taehyung and Jimin alternately before she let go of Jimin's hand and took a few steps back.  

"Both of you can talk to each other. I-I should go home right now," Mari said as she looks at Jimin's eye before she bowed her head formally to Taehyung before she walked out of the cafe. She didn't want to be in between the guys right now. It would put her in an uncomfortable position if she were to stay with them two. Mari scratched her itchy head before she headed toward the nearest bus stop. She wanted to head home right now because looking at Jimin will make her heart hurt while Taehyung will make her brain hurt. 

Jimin was about to say something to Taehyung but his mind was disturbed by the sight of Mari walking out of the cafe. "Let's talk later," Jimin said to Taehyung before he ran out of the cafe to catch up with Mari. Mari was about to ascend the steps of the bus when Jimin reach out his hand to pull her hand abruptly. Mari gasped as she lost her balance to the sudden pull at her hand, Jimin caught Mari's unstable body and prevented her from falling. 

"That was close," Jimin muttered as he held Mari's body tightly in his arm. 

"Why did you pull me like that? What if I fall?" Mari asked in panic as she clutched her arm around Jimin's torso. 

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't pull you like that," Jimin sighed as he Mari's back gently, comforting the lady. She didn't fall and that's what matters. Mari let go of Jimin's sturdy torso as she stabilize herself on the ground and took a few steps back and slowly sit on the bench at the bus stop. 

"It's okay, baby. Mommy is okay," Mari said to her tummy. She knows that if she were to fall from the bus stairs it will harm her child. She inhaled deeply as she pat her tummy in a comforting manner. Jimin ruffled his hair as he sat down beside the girl worriedly. He shouldn't ever pull her like that. He could see the panic in her eyes when she was about to fall from the bus. He was panicked too but luckily his hand was fast to catch her from falling. Jimin hesitantly place his hand on top of her hand that was comforting her baby in the womb. 

"I'm sorry, baby. I shouldn't ever pull your mother like that," Jimin said as he closed his eyes tight. He thanks God that he was able to catch her body from falling just now. The both of them remain silent for at least half an hour, thanking every universe that nothing bad happens to the baby. Jimin totally forgot about his anger earlier, he was so angry when Mari rejected his call. "Next time, don't ever ignore my call. I was worried about you all day," Jimin stated after a while. 

"Jimin-shi, don't you think that I rely on you too much? I waited for your call unconsciously. That's why I decided not to answer your call today," 

"Mari-shi, you can rely on me. I'm here willingly to help you in this journey," 

"I don't want to be a burden to you,"  

"You're not..." 

"It just doesn't feel right to cling to you like this," Mari sighed and put on a bitter smile on her pretty face. 

"Then, I'll be the one that'll cling to you," Jimin cheekily replied as he pulled the girl into a hug. He knew that it was not easy to accept help from the people that you don't have any relationship with. From afar, Taehyung scoffed at the sight of Jimin and Mari hugging at the bus stop as soon as he walked out of the coffee shop after a short coffee break.