Chapter 3

The Fill-in Bride

Mari walked with her grandma to the nearest bus stop to wait for the bus. The grandmother looked at her granddaughter for a few minutes as she remained silent. A lot of things are confusing the grandmother right now. Mari never introduced her boyfriend to her, and she never told her that she was getting married. The wedding seems rushed, as everyone is well aware that Mari is still a college student. 

Honk! Honk! Both Mari and her grandmother turned their head to look at the vehicle that stopped right in front of them. An expensive white car pulled over, and suddenly the passenger seat door was opened. Jimin's mother, whose real name was Yewon, came out from the car with a confused face look at Mari and her grandmother. 

"Mari-ah? Why are you here?" She asked. Mari stood up and bowed her head politely to Jimin's mother. 

"A-actually... we are waiting for the bus," Mari keeps her head low as their eyes clash.

"Bus? Why?" 

"I-i am sending my grandmother home," 

"Yah! Mari-ah! I can go home alone! You can go back to your husband," The grandmother said as she smacked Mari's shoulder gently. Mari just smiled at her grandmother as she let out an awkward chuckle. Yewon shook her head as she looked at Mari. How could a bride leave her husband and go home? She could see that Mari was somehow tenser than during the wedding ceremony. Mari was so lovely and cheerfully just a moment ago in the wedding hall; right now, she looks like a different person. 

"Omma? Mari?" Yewon and Mari turned their head when a voice called for them. It was Jimin in a fresh set of attire. Jimin looks at Mari and his mother with a questioning face. He just drove out from the Hilton's property and suddenly saw his mother's car that stopped at the bus stop. His heart almost stopped when he saw his mother standing in front of Mari and her grandmother, which made him pull over. 

"Why are you here, omma?" Jimin took a few steps closer to his mother. 

"Jimin, why did you let your wife and grandmother go home by bus?" The mother asked with a stern voice. Mari lifted her head as she could sense that his mother was somewhat angry when she saw her and her grandmother were waiting for the bus. Jimin scratched his head, didn't know what to say to his mother. 

"Jimin-oppa, didn't know where my grandmother's house is," Mari splurted as she tried not to make things more complicated. 

"What?!? How can he didn't know your grandmother's house?" The lady looked at her son as she raised one of her brows. 

"I-i never told him..." Mari muttered lowly as she slightly glanced at her grandmother's face. The grandmother remained silent as she looked at Jimin, Mari and Mistress Yewon. The way Jimin and his mother dress up shows how much different they were from them. Unlike during the wedding, now both Jimin and Mari look like they are not matched for each other. Mari's clothes were pretty worn out and out of style compared to Jimin's and Yewon's. The grandmother looks down on her tote bag and the handbag that belongs to Jimin's mother. 

"We're embarrassed to show Jimin our house. It's pretty shabby to even invite a guest in for a cup of tea," The grandmother replied as an excuse. She felt the need to protect her one and only granddaughter. She knew that Mari might get her reasons why she wanted to go home separately from her husband. 

"Ma'am, don't worry. We don't mind such things. What is there to be embarrassed about?" Surprisingly, Yewon let out a hearty laugh as she stepped forward and pulled the grandmother into a warm hug. "You don't have to think like that. There must be a lot of other reasons why Jimin got married to Mari. Jimin wouldn't think much about your house or your background. As long as they love each other, they'll be happy for sure. Am I right?" She added as she glanced at Jimin and Mari. 

"Mari, let me send your grandmother home..." Jimin said as he moved to his car and opened the doors of his car. Mari looks at Jimin's eyes to read the whole situation, trying to figure out what is his next move. Jimin nodded his head as he saw Mari was observing his action. 

"Grandma, let's get inside Jimin's car," Mari whispered to her grandmother and guided her to the car. Jimin followed them closely and closed the doors for them before he walked back to his mother. 

"Jimin, I think the grandmother was a little uncomfortable with you. That's why she didn't want you to come over to her house. Why don't you stay over at her house tonight? Can you do it?" The mother whispered to her son as she slightly stole some glances at Jimin's car. She could tell that the older woman was not comfortable with them. Jimin nodded his head as he opened the door for his mother too. Jimin waved his hand to his stepfather, calmly waiting for his wife. The man just nodded his head as a sign he saw Jimin. 

"Drive safe," Jimin said. 

"You too, drive safe, my son," The mother smiled as her car surfed smoothly on the road. 

 

 

The ride to Mari's house was extremely silent. Jimin and Mari didn't talk at all to each other. She told him her address, which was her last words to him. Kwon Hyeja, which is Mari's grandmother, observed the two people. Newlyweds are mostly lovely with each other, but she could not sense anything from the two people right now. Both of them look like strangers offering a ride to each other. 

"Both of you didn't love each other, right?" 

Jimin bit his lips at the sudden question by the grandmother. Mari turned her body to look at her grandmother at the back while her face froze. She didn't want to lie to her grandmother because her grandmother could tell if she lied right away. 

"Are you pregnant, Kwon Mari?" 

Another question from the grandmother causes Mari to freeze in her spot. She inhaled sharply as she turned her body forward again. Mari didn't want to show her face to her grandmother because the old woman could read her like an open book. The grandmother sighed as she rubbed her temples. She could tell that Mari didn't dare to mutter even a word to her, proving that Mari might be pregnant. The silence in the car gets worse after the two shocking questions by the grandmother. Unable to say anything to her grandmother, tears rolled down Mari's cheek again, but she didn't make any sound this time. Just tears came rolling down her face without any sound. 

"Grandma, don't worry, the baby won't exist if we didn't love each other,"  Jimin stated after seeing Mari's tears from the corner of his eyes. 

"I'll put my trust in you... I knew you are a good man when I saw you walk her down on the aisle," 

"I promise you, I'll take good care of her," Jimin said, assuring the grandmother with his words. 

Jimin turned off his car's ignition as he came out from his car and opened the door for the grandmother. The grandmother nodded her head as she patted the new family member. She pointed at Mari, who was still in the car to Jimin before the older woman walked into the building. "I'll prepare the newlywed room, so take some time before you go up," She said and smiled at Jimin. Jimin looks at the grandmother without knowing how to reply to her words. He sighed as he shut the door of the back passenger. Then, he went to Mari's side and opened the door for her. 

"What should I do?" Mari muttered as she clutched the end of her coat. 

"...," Jimin remained silent as he observed Mari sitting in his car unmoving. 

"G-grandma, know that I am pregnant," She said as she sighed. "Taehyung wanted to abort this baby. Now, my grandma knows this baby's existence. She'll want me to keep it." 

"Don't worry; I'll make Taehyung responsible for his action. I'll make him marry you," Jimin said, trying his best to comfort the woman. 

"Do you think I can marry Taehyung when my grandmother thought I got married to you?" Mari turned her head to look at Jimin. Her mind was a mess. Back then, at the wedding hall, she didn't have much time to think about the consequence of the wedding ceremony. Right now, she regretted it ten times more. It would be more heartbreaking if she suddenly told her grandma that she was getting a divorce while being pregnant. 

"W-we'll figure it out. We'll tell the truth to your grandma," Jimin stated, trying his best to comfort her. 

"I guess my life was just a joke to people like you and Kim Taehyung. Do you think my grandmother will be okay if we tell her everything? You guys used my desperation just to do things in favour of you," Mari got out of the car and closed the car's door. She walked towards her house without a second glance at Jimin. 

"I'll walk you to your house,"

"I'm good. It would help if you went home, Park Jimin," Mari mumbled. She was too tired to think about her situation more. 

"I'm staying over," His reply causes Mari to look at him with a confused face. She thought that her role as his fill-in wife had already ended. She sighed as she pushed the button at the elevator, heading to her house. 

 

 

"Kids, I already prepared the bed for both of you," Kwon Hyeja excited said as she saw Mari open the door and Jimin followed her from the back. Mari just smiled at her grandmother and nodded her head. She knew that her grandmother would do this. She saw her grandmother sew a beautiful blanket the previous night when Mari told her that she was getting married. Mari opened the door of her room. Her grandmother had already prepared the foldable mattress in her room and covered it with the newly sewn blanket. 

Jimin bowed his head to the grandmother and followed Mari into the small room. Her room was really small, it barely fit a queen-size bed. The room had a small shelve that keeps all of the college books and a small cabinet that keep her clothes. No beds or chairs, just the two pieces of furniture and the foldable mattress on the floor. Jimin looks around the room as he didn't know what he should do or where he should sit in that small room. 

"You could sleep here. Don't worry, I'll sleep on the sofa once my grandmother fell asleep," Mari said as she put down her purse on her small shelve and tied her hair up.

Jimin sat at the corner of the room while watching Mari who was taking out her notebook from the shelf. She need to read some notes for the class tomorrow, she was not someone who can afford to fail a semester in college. She couldn't afford additional tuition fees. The room fell into complete silence when Mari started her reading session. Mari sat on the floor while she lean her back on the wall for support. 

"I'll take you to the gynaecologist tomorrow. Let's check on your pregnancy and we'll decide what our next plan is." Jimin's words cause Mari to lift her head to look at the man. 

"How much does it cost for a pregnancy check-up?" She asked in curiosity. She really wanted to make an official pregnancy check-up, but she was afraid to step into any healthcare facility. 

"I'll pay for you," Jimin said it short. 

"Thank you, you should go to sleep," Mari replied with a small smile before she got up and walk out of the room. Leaving Jimin inside the room alone. She'll sleep in the living room tonight. Mari look around the house and look at the closed door of her grandmother's room. She turned off the lights in the living room and lay on the sofa. She sighed as her mind wandered. How is she going to live with a baby and continued her studies? 

 

 

Jimin woke up when the sunlight penetrated the curtain. He blinks his eyes a few times, adjusting his iris to the sudden light exposure. Jimin sat up and look at his surrounding. He was in a small room on a foldable mattress with a thick beautiful light yellow blanket. The house might seem too small and cramped for him but it was warm. He sleeps tightly the entire night without waking up in the middle of the night and looking around. Since Joy left him a few days before the wedding, he had trouble sleeping peacefully. He walked out of the small room after folding the blanket and the mattress and headed to the toilet. 

"Jimin? Are you inside?" Mari's voice interrupted Jimin who was peeing in the toilet. She knocked on the toilet door a couple of times before Jimin opened the door. She bumped into Jimin before she rushed to the toilet bowl to vomit her gut. 

"Bluuuekkk!" Mari vomited more. Jimin almost vomited too when he saw Mari was let out her gut filling into the toilet bowl. Jimin took small steps towards Mari, hiding his disgusted face. Then, he patted her back slowly, helping her to feel comfortable while vomiting. 

"A-are you okay?" 

"I'm okay," Mari replied as she nodded her head. She vomited again for one last time before she tried to stand up. 

"I'll help you," Jimin muttered as he tucks his arms under her pits and slowly lifted her. Jimin guided Mari out of the toilet, slowly as she had already lost some energy through the vomiting fiasco. 

"Oh! The morning sickness is kicking in?" The grandmother who just came out of her room asked.

"I don't think it's morning sickness. I probably ate something wrong yesterday," Mari said as she sat down on the dining chair that Jimin pulled for her. "Thank you, Jimin-shi," She added as she directed her eyes to Jimin's face. She appreciated his help. Jimin nodded his head with a small smile on his face. 

"Why did you call your husband like that?" The grandma landed a smack on her shoulder which causes Mari to flinch. 

"Grandma, his name is Jimin," Mari replied to her grandma as she watched Jimin take a seat beside her at the dining table without many words. 

"Both of you should use endearment when you call each other," The grandma blabbered as she took some side dishes out from the refrigerator and put them on small platters. Mari just nodded her head as she stood up and scoop out the rice from the cooker that was probably prepared by her grandmother before she goes to sleep last night. The grandmother fried some eggs on the pan while she cut some tofu and throw it in a small pot filled with broth. In less than 10 minutes, a Korean breakfast was served on the table. 

"Thank you for the breakfast, grandma. Enjoy your breakfast, Ji-...sweetheart?" Mari held in her laughter as the word sweetheart came out of her lips. 

"No, not, sweetheart," Jimin shook his head to the endearment she gave to him. Jimin's ears turned red due to embarrassment. 

"Sugar?" 

"No, not, not sugar," 

"Darling?" 

"Let's just go with husband. Call me husband," Jimin replied as he rolled his eyes to Mari who was teasing him. Mari nodded her head before she started eating her breakfast. The fried eggs and tofu soup are perfect for her tummy. Mari stole some glances at Jimin who was enjoying his breakfast beside her. His little action, like when he patted her back while she was puking definitely shows that he is not a bad person. He's not a person that will harm her. He could just drop her and her grandmother off and went straight to his home but he decided to stay. He didn't show any disgust or judgemental face when he walked into their house. She could feel that Jimin is a nice person.

 

 

"Are you okay?" Jimin asked as he walked beside Mari and opened the door to the gynaecology place. Mari inhaled deeply as she stepped into the clinic. She turned her head to look at Jimin and the man just nodded his head in assurance when their eyes clashed. Both of them are sitting in the waiting room, waiting for Mari's name to be called. Mari nervously bit her lips and her hands are clutching the end of her shirt, the habit that she'll do when she was nervous or sad. 

"Stop it, you'll ruin the shirt," Jimin's words causes Mari to stop her action and look at him. 

"D-did you say something?" She asked as she could not hear his words correctly. 

"You-" 

"Kwon Mari!!!" The nurse called. Mari stood up and walked forward. She glanced at Jimin who was sitting at the waiting chair with an encouraging look on his face. She was supposed to go into the physician's room alone. Mari took some slow steps towards the room where she is allocated before she turned her head around to look at Jimin again. Mari could not help but to wish that somebody will come with her when she meet the gynaecologist. She was so scared to face her pregnancy.

"You want me to come with you?" Jimin mouthed from his seat as he saw that Mari kept on turning around to look at him. 

"Can you?" She mouthed.   

"You should've told me earlier that you want me to accompany you," Jimin stood up from the chair and ran towards her. He appeared beside her in a few blinks of eyes. Jimin took Mari's hand and lead her into the room where she is directed to go. He knew that the woman was scared to meet the gynaecologist. The gynaecologist instructed Mari to lay down on the ultrasound bed after a brief introduction. Jimin scratched his head awkwardly as he look at Mari. 

"The husband may sit beside the ultrasound bed," The doctor said as she helped Mari to get on the ultrasound bed. Jimin nodded his head and just sat on the given chair. 

"Can you lift your shirt a little, we're going to check your uterus," The doctor smiled as she put on her rubber gloves and set up the ultrasound machine. Mari turn her to look at Jimin, she forgot that she'll have to lift her shirt for the ultrasound. Jimin must've been flustered to see the scene in front of him right now. Jimin just chuckled and shook his head. 

"I'm not going to look at your tummy," Jimin whispered as he glanced at the doctor who was preparing stuff for the scan. 

"Promise?"

"I promise," Jimin chuckles and raised his hand. 

"The gel is going to be a little cold," The doctor smeared a good amount of gel on her tummy and started scanning the abdominal area. Jimin, Mari and the doctor were silent as they look at the ultrasound monitor that shows a black and white image. "Yes, it's true that you're pregnant," The gynaecologist stated as she move the baby scanner across Mari's flat tummy. The doctor then printed the image of the strange black dot that was seen from the monitor. 

"This black dot on the monitor is your baby, can you hear the heartbeat?" The doctor asked as she increase the volume of the ultrasound monitor. Mari inhaled as she was choked on her own tears as she look at the strange black dot on the screen. She's pregnant. Something is alive in her womb right now. The heartbeat is the sign that the foetus is a living thing too. 

"Can I know the gender of the baby?" Jimin asked the doctor which causes the gynaecologist to laugh out loud as she shook her head. 

"Your wife's pregnancy is around ten-week, so it is a little too early to identify the gender of the baby. Both of you can come here again next two weeks if you want to know the gender at the earliest stage," The doctor said as she smiles lovingly at Mari and Jimin. Mari on the other hand, keep wiping off the tears that came down rolling on her face. She felt that the baby was a burden to her and how she wished that it didn't exist but she didn't want to abort it. The baby in her womb is still a living thing and her child. 

"Doctor, when is the most less painful time if I want to abort the baby?" 

The doctor and Jimin turned their head to look at Mari simultaneously with a shocked face. Both of them are shocked listening to her question. Jimin gulped his saliva and reach his hand to grab Mari's hand and held it firmly. Not all people in this world are gifted with a child, if one was gifted with a baby, they should treasure it and care for it. Jimin was an only child to his parents and when his mother was pregnant for the second time, she decided to abort the baby because her marriage was in turbulence. Little that she knows that the abortion brought so much grief, sadness and regret. She was alive but barely living for a few years. Then, his mother got married to another man and was gifted with a child, he could see how happy his mother was when his sister was born. 

"Let's keep the baby, hmm?" Jimin held Mari's hand firmly and searched for her teary eyes which refused to look into his eyes. 

"Can I?" Mari questioned. She was unsure, could she keep the baby and raise it well. She hardly pays for her bills, now adding a newborn into her life? As much as she wanted to keep the baby, she might be unable to give the baby a good life. That what's scares her the most. 

"You can," Jimin said as he wiped her tears with his right hand. 

"...," 

"Let's keep the baby. We can raise the baby well. I'll be here with you and the baby. Hmm?" Jimin pleaded as he closed his eyes tight. He didn't want any abortion to take place while he was around. As long as he could protect it, he'll try his best because life is still life no matter how small it is. Mari cried as she look at Jimin. His words comforted her a little and give her a slight hope. She will try her best not to give up at the earliest stage. 

"Mommy, you should think wisely and you may come to see me if you need help," The gynaecologist said. 

"I-I'll keep the baby," Mari sobbed as she look at the doctor. The doctor just smile at the woman before she pull Mari's hand and place it on her bare tummy that was still cold from the ultrasound gell. The doctor wanted Mari to feel that there is a living being in her tummy. 

"Can you put your hand over your wife's tummy too?" The doctor asked which causes Jimin to abruptly place his hand on Mari's flat tummy. 

"I want both of you to think wisely. Having a child is not the same as having a toy. It's living and has emotions. Be careful of your every action and word, because the baby is a living thing. So, if you're not ready, you may come for an abortion." The doctor stated as she handed two pieces of ultrasound pictures to Jimin and Mari. "Just take your time, I'll be in the consultation space." She added before she went back to her table at the other side of the room.

"Jimin-shi, am I-" Mari was unable to finish her sentence as an overwhelming feeling come rushing. 

"Don't worry Mari-shi, you'll be a good mother to your child and I'll be here to help you along the way," Jimin said as he gently rubbed Mari's tummy where the doctor placed his hand at. Mari nodded her head and wiped her tears. After a few moments of silence, Jimin and Mari stared at each other without saying anything. Jimin's hand that was gently rubbing Mari's tummy stopped moving as realization hit him. He step back and pulled down Mari's shirt, covering her skin. 

"I'll give you some supplement for your pregnancy and please eat it religiously. Come here again according to the appointment date I've given to you and if you spot any abnormalities like sudden bleeding or pain, you should go to the hospital right away." The doctor said as both Jimin and Mari were seated at the consultation space. "Mr Jimin, you should help your wife and make her comfortable because pregnancy is really hard on her physical and mental health," 

"I'll try my best," The words muttered by Jimin causes Mari to look at the man with mixed emotion and more tears flew down her face.