Chapter 2

The Fill-in Bride

Jimin walked into the boutique where he promised to meet his mother with his fiance; with a messy mind, he walked into the boutique without much thought. He was confused and mad; he was sad and overwhelmed. All those emotions were mixing, and it was confusing to him. Jimin's eyes laid on his mother, who talked to the wedding dress designer enthusiastically. She looks so excited, as if she was the one who will get married. 

"Omma," Jimin put on a smile as he approached her. Hiding his true feeling. 

"Jimin!! My son! Where is your fiance?" The mother exclaimed in excitement while her eyes wandered around the boutique, looking for a female figure accompanying her son. 

"She's a little busy, so she cannot make it today," 

"What??? But she needs to try on the dress." The mother's cheerful face turned into a worried face. 

"Omma, don't worry. On the third of March, you'll meet her, and the wedding you planned will be smooth and lovely. The dress will fit her just right," Jimin said, pointing at the dress that his mother had already hung in the changing room. He wanted to make his mother feel assured and not worry more about him. He promised his mother that she'd see his bride on the wedding day; that is exactly what he would do. He'll find someone to fill in the bride position that day. 

 

 

Namjoon and Taehyung went to Hoseok's coffee shop soon after getting a call from Jimin. They were shocked when the news of Joy heading to America for filming even the wedding was a few days away. Hoseok shook his head as he waited for Jimin to arrive. He knew that Jimin would be thousand times more shocked when he saw the news this morning. Taehyung just chuckled as he looked at all of his friends. 

"You see, this is why I don't trust any woman," Taehyung said as he crossed his arms. 

"Why would she just go to America like that? She should've waited for at least one or two weeks," Namjoon added as he sipped his tea. 

Jimin walked into the coffee shop in half an hour with a blank face. He looks lost in his thoughts and anxious. His hair was messy, his necktie was loose, and his shirt was mismatched with his blazer. His eyes are red, as if he just cried all night long. He pulled one chair from the table and sat beside Hoseok. Hoseok took no time to pull the man into a hug. 

"Did you call Joy?" Hoseok asked. 

"I did, but she never picks up my call since the last two days," Jimin sighed as he ruffled his hair. 

"So, your wedding this Sunday will be cancelled?" Taehyung asked, which caused both Namjoon and Hoseok to glare at him. 

"No," 

"WHAT!?!?" The three of them yelled simultaneously and looked at Jimin with a shocked face. Jimin sighed as he told his friends that he had promised his mother that he'd bring his bride down the aisle on the third of March. He couldn't tell his mother to cancel or postpone the wedding. She was so excited to see all of her plans to come alive this Sunday. She barely got any rest for a month to make his wedding dreamy and majestic. So, he couldn't tell her that his bride had flown away a week before the wedding when the wedding was 80% completed. 

"So, right now, I need someone to fill in Joy's position that day," Jimin muttered as he rubbed his face with his palms. 

"Yah! How do you think we will find a woman for you in less than five days? Any sane woman will refuse the offer," Namjoon said as he leaned back on his chair and thought any woman near him that is crazy enough to marry Jimin for the sake of filling in the empty spot left by the original bride. 

Hoseok and Taehyung shook their head as they looked at each other. Hoseok didn't interact much with females because he was loyal to his wife, so he didn't have any female friends to be introduced to Jimin. On the other hand, Taehyung was puzzled; he had no female friends either; all of the women around him were once his buddies. He cannot introduce such a woman to a man as noble as Jimin. A soft, kind and loyal man like Jimin is just not suitable for the women around him. 

"Taehyung-shi?" A woman appears and call for Taehyung and causes the group of men to turn their heads. He gasped at the sight of Mari in front of him right now. He forgot about the woman. Taehyung looked at Hoseok with a glare, and he thought Hoseok had already replaced her with a new worker. Taehyung stood up from his chair and signalled Mari to follow him. 

"What do you want from me, Mari-shi?" Taehyung asked as they reached the back alley of the coffee shop. 

"Taehyung-shi, let's get married," Mari pleaded as she took his hand and held it tight. 

"What?? Are you crazy? We just ed a few times, and it doesn't mean I need to be with you," Taehyung tilted his head backwards and sighed. He hates such a woman. A woman that clings so much just because of a one night stand. 

"Taehyung-shi, I like you, and I knew that you like me too. We have to get married be-" Mari shook her head and clutched his hand tighter. 

"I didn't know you could be this crazy. Mari-shi, what did you think would happen after a drunk one nightstand? A romantic relationship?" A frown surfaced on his face as he pulled his hand from her. He didn't let her finish her sentences as he stepped away from her.  

"Taehyung-shi, I think I'm pregnant, so please, please, marry me, Taehyung-shi," Mari kneeled as she hung her head low. Her menses were supposed to come last week, but it was delayed. She could tell that something was not right. "P-please, Taehyung-shi, I'll do anything for you but please, please be responsible for this baby," 

Taehyung took a step back as he scoffed in disbelief. Did she get pregnant? Taehyung chuckles as he places his hands on his waist and looks at the girl kneeling on the ground. He shook his head again and chuckled. They remained silent for a couple of moments before Taehyung said something that caused Mari to look at him. 

"Sure, let's get married," Taehyung said seriously. 

"Thank you, Taehyung-shi. Thank you for being responsible for this baby," Mari sighed in relief as she heard the man's words. 

"I'll text you the details, when and where. You just have to come and marry me. For now, I need you to go home right now." He said as he pulled out a fifty-dollar note from his wallet. "You don't have to work tonight, and I'll talk to Hoseok, just go," Taehyung put on a fake smile before arranging his step into the coffee shop again. A real smile finally appeared on his face as he walked back to the table where his friends were at. The smile on his face causes Hoseok to move his head and look at the shop's door, searching for Mari's silhouette. 

"I've found someone that will be your fill-in bride," Taehyung proudly announced as he stood in front of his friends. 

"Kwon Mari?!?" Hosoek yelled in shock as his eyes grew twice bigger than their original size. 

"All of you need to follow my instruction thoroughly if you want a bride to walk down the aisle this Sunday," Taehyung took his seat and sipped his now cold mocha. 

 

 

"Grandma, are you excited?" Mari asked as she stood in front of her apartment with her grandma. The grandma nodded her head and patted Mari's back lovingly. She was shocked when Mari said she was getting married to a man she loved. She didn't get any chance to prepare anything for her. Mari hugs her grandma in excitement; she cannot wait to marry Kim Taehyung, the man that she fell in love with at first sight. 

"Maria!! Let's go!" A black car suddenly stopped in front of her, and Hoseok came out from that car in his tuxedo. 

"Grandma, let's go," Mari helped her grandmother get into the car. She glanced down at the watch showing it was somewhere around five in the evening. She'll get married to Kim Taehyung in less than three hours. Her heart was about to jump out of her chest due to nervousness. What if she messed up while walking down the aisle? Mari looks at herself in the mirror while imagining herself in a veil. 

Mari arrived at the dressing room for the Hilton's wedding hall in less than half an hour. The wedding stylist pulled her into the changing room and helped her get changes right away. The wedding dress looks breathtakingly beautiful on her body. The long sleeves puffy classic wedding dress makes her look like a beautiful, classy bride. The wedding dress fit just right on her body without any extra alteration as if the dress was custom made for her. The hairstylist braided Mari's hair into beautiful loops of french braids, and a hairpin with pearl is placed on each loop of her braids. Finally, a crown with a veil is placed on her hair into its perfect position. The make-up artist did not need much effect to put on make-up on Mari's beautiful face. With simple and light make-up, she can still look stunning and glowing. 

"The bride is ready. We'll announce her entrance right now because we're currently behind schedule," The wedding planner said through her walkie talkie as she corrected the tail of Mari's dress. The stylist pulled the veil to cover her face similar to a classic bride walking into a chapel. A few people escorted Mari to reach the huge door of the wedding hall. A smile makes its way on her lips as she looks at the huge door. The sound of the piano announcing her entrance started to play. 

"Get ready, in one, two, three..."  Mari inhaled sharply as she clutched on the calla lily bouquet tightly. She walked down the aisle as her eyes focused on the white carpet of the aisle that had white rose petals scattered on it. Mari didn't even look to the front because the veil covered her sight. She could only see her puffy skirt and the floor as she directed her eyes downwards. 

Her hand was suddenly taken into a strange hand that appeared in front of her. She hold on to the hand without much thought and walked down the aisle faster with the help of the guiding hand. She could not see his face,  but she could tell that it was Taehyung who walked her down the aisle. The truth is, it was Jimin who took her hand as she was halfway down the aisle. He'll not let go of this hand before this ceremony end; that's what Taehyung told him to do. Both the bride and the groom were standing on the stage while facing the priest. 

"Kwon Mari, will you love, cherish and be loyal to this man and accept him as your husband?" The priest asked after he ended a wedding sermon. 

"Yes, I do," 

"Park Jimin, will you love, cherish and be loyal to this woman and accept her as your wife?" The priest directed his question to the groom. The strange name from the priest's words causes Mari to freeze on her spot. Did she hear his name wrong? Mari's brain stopped working for a couple of moments before she decided to pull her hand away from the groom's grip. 

"Yes, I do," Jimin replied as he kept his hold on her hand real tight. 

"Now, you may kiss the bride," The priest announced as he blessed the bride and the groom. 

Jimin turned his body to the side and looked at his fill-in bride, who still had her face covered behind her veil. Mari's hands and body suddenly become cold due to the sudden fear that creeps in her vein. Did she hear the priest wrong, or did she get married to another man? Jimin lifted the veil that covered her face with his right hand as his left hand was holding Mari's right hand. 

Her eyes bulged at the sight of another man in front of her. He was not Kim Taehyung. He's a stranger. She didn't know who is he. Mari turned her head around as her eyes wandered around the wedding hall, looking for Kim Taehyung. 

"Who-" Before she could mutter a word, Jimin leaned forward and planted a brief kiss on her lips. The crowd clapped their hands as the bride, and the groom kissed. Jimin then turned his head to look at the guest in the wedding hall and bowed his head. 

"Let go-" Mari pulled her hand away from his grip, but he's not letting her escape. Then, Jimin turned his head back to his bride and dragged her down the stage as the wedding emcee took over the stage. 

"Let go of me! Please!" Mari yelled as soon as they reached outside of the wedding hall. 

"Let's talk in the room. Just follow me," Jimin replied, trying to calm the woman who looked terrified as she tried to pull her hand away. 

"No! I'm not going with you," 

"Please, let's talk," Jimin shut his eyes as he restrained himself from losing his temper. 

"No!! I don't want! Where is Kim Taehyung?!?!" Mari shook her head as she looked around the empty hallway. No one passed by the hallway behind the wedding hall. 

"If you want to know where is Kim Taehyung, just follow me," Jimin stated as he continued to walk forward while his hand dragged her with him. Mari looked at the man in his eyes for a few moments before she lifted the tail of her dress and arranged her step to follow him. In less than a minute, they arrived in front of a room with a 'Groom's room' sign. Jimin opened the door and led her into the room. 

 

 

"Taehyung-shi~!" Mari cried as soon as she saw Taehyung in that room. He was in his usual suit and tie attire.

"Oh, you're here," Taehyung stood up from his chair and smiled at the married couple. 

"Taehyung-shi, w-what is going h-here?" Mari reduces her distance from Taehyung. She inhaled sharply as she looked at the man with a calm mind. Probably he had something to explain to her. 

"Mari-shi, do you want to marry me?" 

"Yes, of course... " 

"Mari-shi, don't worry, this is just an act. You need to do me a favour. You need to be the fill-in bride for this man right here. Just pretend like you got married to him," He pleaded. 

"What?!? No!! Didn't I tell you that I think I'm pregnant? And now you want me to pretend to be your friend's wife? Then, what will happen to our child?" Mari steps back as she bursts into anger. She told him a few days ago that she was pregnant. She was flustered, knowing that he used her desperation to help his friend. 

"Do you believe that it's mine?" Taehyung asked coldly. 

"W-what do you mean?" 

"I'm not the father of your child," 

"How could you say that?" 

"Mari-shi, just be the bride for this man for today. Just one day, tomorrow, I'll bring you to the hospital and let's abort the baby,"  He said is without many expressions on his face before he went out of the room, leaving Jimin and Mari in the groom's waiting room. Taehyung won't marry her and will never marry her. He made it clear, too, that he didn't want their child. Tears flew down her cheeks as she looked at the closed door. Did he want to abort the baby? Mari plopped down to the floor as she wept. She was well aware that she couldn't afford to have a baby right now but aborting a baby felt wrong in so many ways. Mari barely had money to pay for her daily expenses; bearing a child was not something she could afford. Her cries echoed in the room as she patted her tummy a few times. 

Jimin, who was there the whole time, remained silent as he stepped forwards. He didn't know that his situation would harm an innocent soul. Jimin took the tissue box on the coffee table and handed it to her. He squatted in front of her and wiped her tears. He felt bad, and he could see that the girl wanted to keep the baby. 

"I'm sorry.." He mumbled as he gently wiped the stream of tears that flowed down on her flawless cheeks. "I-i didn't know the whole situation about you and Taehyung. But I'm sorry because Taehyung used you to be my fill-in bride... I-i promise you that I'll pay you a hefty amount of money for today, and I'll make Taehyung responsible for his child," 

"You? Will you make Taehyung responsible for me? How?" Mari looks back at him with a questioning face. 

"Yes, I promise you. I'll find a way for that, don't worry... I'm sorry that I got you into this situation," Jimin sighed as he gently wiped her tears away. 

"You'll make Taehyung responsible for this child?" Mari looked at him as she heard his words.

Jimin nodded his head as he put on a comforting smile on his face. He didn't want to create an enemy because he was the one that needed her help. She needs to be his bride for today. He needs her kindness to do him this favour. He regretted his decision to agree to Taehyung's plan, and he would never have thought that Taehyung could do something this evil to a woman. Jimin sighed as he took her trembling hands and patted them gently. 

"How long do I need to be your fill-in bride?" Mari held her tears as she looked at Jimin's hand, patting her hands. 

"Just for a few hours when this ceremony ends, you may go home. I'll call you when I succeeded in making Taehyung responsible for your pregnancy," 

"A few hours?" 

"Yes, just be my fill-in-bride from now until midnight. I promise I'll be nice with you," Jimin raised his hand as he made a promise. He will treat her nicely while she takes place as his bride in this ceremony. Mari nodded her head as she looked into Jimin's eyes to see whether he was lying or not. It turns out Jimin got the clearest eyes she has ever seen, and she could tell he was being honest now. 

"Excuse me, may I come in?" The wedding planner peeked as she opened the door of the waiting room. "Both you need to come to the wedding hall for the parent's blessing ceremony," She added as she saw the bride was sitting on the floor while the groom wiped her tears. 

"Miss, I think my wife's make-up needed to be touched up. She cried a little," Jimin smiled at the wedding planner as he tried to help Mari stand up on her feet again. Mari shook her head as she could not stand up with the 5 inches wedding shoe on her feet. 

"The heels..." Mari said it short as she as looks at Jimin. 

Jimin nodded his head as he squatted down again and put Mari's hands around his neck. "Hold on to me," He said as he secured his hands around her waist. In a blink of an eye, Mari was lifted vertically. "Owh~!" Mari yelped to the sudden change of her body position. 

"Thank you," She whispered as she took a few steps back after releasing her hold from his neck and shoulder. 

 

 

Mari inhaled deeply as she looked at the huge wedding hall door. Her make up was fixed, and her veil was removed. Jimin, standing beside her, remained silent as he was lost in his thoughts. Mari had decided to help the man as he promised to make Taehyung responsible for her baby. She was sad and angry when she knew that Taehyung had used her to help his friend, whose real fiance had run away a few days before the wedding. She definitely would not come if she knew that Taehyung was using her. 

"Husband?" Mari called Jimin, who was staring at the floor. Jimin lifted his head and looked at Mari.

"I'm Kwon Mari," She reached out her hand for a handshake, and Jimin took it. 

"Park Jimin." He smiled at the lady as he naturally pulled her hand and linked it with his arm. 

The wedding planner nodded her head and opened the huge door of the wedding hall. The return of the couple to the wedding causes the crowd to applaud. Mari smiled at all of the guests in the wedding hall even though she didn't know any of them. Jimin waved his hand to the guest as they walked forward. His eyes were focused on his mother, who stood up and clapped as she watched his entrance. 

His mother looks happy and content. The wedding exists because of her. She chose every little detail and flower in the hall. The couple arrived in front of Jimin's parents. His mother and his stepfather stood up when the couple bowed to them. Jimin moves forward to receive the blessing from his stepfather; the older man hugs him without saying anything. Mari moves forward to receive the blessing from Jimin's mother. His mother pulled the bride into a hug as she broke down in tears. 

"I hope you will be a good wife for my son. Cherish him all the time and be with him when things get rough. He had a rough childhood growing up as my son, and I hope you can be the reason for his life to be filled with happy memories... Always remind him that you love him.. and.. and.." The mother sobbed as Mari patted her back. 

"Omma, why are you crying? It's not like I'm going away," Jimin said with teary eyes. 

They bow to Jimin's parents again before they make their way to the bride's side. Mari halted her steps as she looked at her grandma, smiling at her proudly. She had brought her grandmother to her fake wedding. If her grandmother knows about this, she'll be upset and disappointed. Jimin looks at Mari, who suddenly stops moving forward. 

"Don't worry, I'll be the nicest husband for you in front of your grandma," Jimin took her hand and led the way. 

"Who gove her that hanbok?" Mari asked as she looked at her grandmother, who was now wearing a beautiful soft pink hanbok. 

"My mother," Jimin replied as both of them walked slowly towards her grandmother. 

Jimin bowed his head to the grandmother. Without saying anything, the older woman hugs him with cheerful laughter. She took a better look at Jimin's face and held on to his face while tilting his head right and left. 

"Goodness, how can you be so good looking? Thank you, thank you, thank you for marrying my granddaughter. Please make a lot of babies so they wouldn't grow up lonely like Mari." She smiles as she looks at Mari proudly. "Mari-ah! Imagine how happy your parents would be if they could be here? Watching you marry a good man and be the most beautiful bride ever existed," The grandma said as she touched Mari's face lovingly. Mari nodded her head. She didn't have many memories of her parents because they were gone when she was a toddler. Jimin just smiled politely as the grandmother continued giving them marriage advice. 

 

 

"Mar-ack!! Ouch!" Hoseok yelled when Mari hit his arm. Mari glared at her boss in anger, and she could not believe that this man was part of this. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Hoseok yelled as he ran away from her and waved goodbye to the newlywed couple. Maybe today was not a good day to say anything to Mari. Hosoek winked at Jimin before he left the wedding hall with his wife. 

"I think Taehyung is not around," Mari said as she looked around the hall and walked from table to table with Jimin to greet the guests. 

"He hates attending weddings the most," Jimin whispered, didn't want people to eavesdrop on their conversation. 

"Congratulation! You look lovely, dear," A middle-aged lady smile as she shakes her hand with Mari and Jimin. Mari bowed her head to the elderly and smiled at her politely. She didn't know that wedding could be this tiring, and she needs to smile on her face every time someone congratulates and greets her. Mari sighed as the continued to walk around the hall to greet the guest. 

"Are you okay?" Jimin asked as her sigh was audible to his ear. 

"My legs are killing me.." She whispered as she lifted her dress's tail to look at her feet. She rarely put on heels. Jimin bowed down to check on Mari's leg and see that she started to get blisters at the back of her heels. 

"Its blisters," Jimin stated as he pulled the skirt back down to cover her legs. "Let's get you treated-" 

"Now, I would like to call the bride and groom for their first dance~!!" The emcee suddenly called for them, and now the spotlights in the hall were directed towards them. Jimin let out a small laugh as he looked at his mother standing from afar mouthed that he should dance. Mari turned her head to look in the direction that caused Jimin to laugh, and it was his mother. Mari lifted her hand and made a small heart to the woman to sign that she understood her instruction. 

"Let's go, we're going to give your mother the first dance she wants, you'll drag her to the stage, and I'll drag your stepfather to the stage," Mari whispered as she walked forward. As the spotlight followed her, she pulled Jimin's stepfather to the main stage and danced with him. Jimin chuckles as he follows her, pulls his mother to the main stage, and dances with her. Their action causes the two elderly to blush in red and cover their face in embarrassment. 

The wedding ended an hour before midnight. After short conversations with Jimin's parents, Mari returned to the bride's preparation room and changed her clothes. She heard a knock on the door before Mari's grandmother opened the door with a bright smile. 

"Grandma, in five minutes, we'll go home. I need to clean my make-up first." Mari said and let her grandma sit in the room while she got ready. "Let's go; we need to catch a bus," 

"W-what? What about your husband?" Grandma pointed in the direction of the wedding hall, which caused Mari to scratch her head to think of the most logical reason to tell her. 

"He'll be home later," Mari picked up her bag and held her grandmother's hand. They both needed to be at the bus stop before the last bus arrived. Madam Kwon just nodded her head and followed her granddaughter.