Chapter 4

The Fill-in Bride

Both Jimin and Mari were sitting in a cafe after the gynaecologist appointment. Both of them are looking at the ultrasound picture of the foetus. Jimin was thinking deeply. He didn't know that yesterday's wedding ceremony would cause him to face such consequences. He should've paid an actress instead of following Taehyung's idea. His mind has been messing for the last few days, and he can barely think of an idea. 

"I'll make Taehyung responsible for the baby. You don't have to worry," Jimin said, which caused Mari to look at the man, confused. 

"How? In my grandmother's eyes, you're the father of the baby..." 

"I'll convince your grandmother that we'll divorce, and the baby ... " Jimin could not finish his sentence as he looked at Mari's face. She looked as if she was about to cry again. 

"And the baby belongs to another guy? You want to say that to my grandmother?" Mari asked as she looked down at the foetus picture on the table. 

"Mari-shi, for now, we should focus on your pregnancy, and we'll talk about this again when your pregnancy reaches the third trimester," Jimin stated as he put on a comforting smile on his face for the woman. He was the one who used Mari as his fill-in bride, and now he should take responsibility for his action. None of these complicated events would happen if she didn't become his fill-in bride yesterday. 

"I think you should move into my house. It'll be easier to convince your grandmother that we're married for real." Jimin proposes his idea to Mari, who is fiddling with the tissue on the table. 

"That's okay, Jimin-shi. I'll stay with grandma, and I'll tell her that you're busy with work or out of town. You don't have to worry about that," 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes, about Kim Taehyung, I think I'll figure it out myself. I didn't want anyone to feel like my baby was a burden to them. I helped you yesterday as your fill-in bride, and today you helped me by being my fill-in husband at the gynaecologist. Thank you so much for everything, Jimin-shi; I'll forever feel grateful for that... Thank you a lot," Mari bowed to the man before she got up from her chair. It didn't feel alright to let Jimin be tangled up in her life. She'll find her own way of surviving. She might be beaten black and blue by life, but she decided to raise her baby well and not be anyone's burden. 

"Where are you going?" Jimin asked as he saw the woman get up from her chair. He could understand her action. Mari was saying thank you to him, so they should figure out their lives independently. He understood that, but it didn't feel right. Should he walk away from involving with Mari? 

"I got a class in an hour, so I am going to my college," Mari replied formally. 

"Let me send you,"

"Thank you, Jimin-shi, you've helped me enough," She replied as she shook her head. 

"Please, let me send you. I'm just a little worried, and it's cold out there," Jimin bent his knee a little to level his eyes to Mari's eyes. Mari sighed as she nodded her head and followed his step. The ride to the college was solemn. None of them talked or said anything. Jimin ran out of his car to open the door for Mari when he stopped right in front of the campus building. Mari just smiled politely at Jimin as he opened the door and helped her get out of the car. 

"Thank you again, Jimin-shi," Mari bowed her head in gratitude. 

"Thank you too, Mari-shi. You did a really big favour for me yesterday," Jimin replied to her bow with gratitude too. 

"You're welcome... goodbye, Jimin-shi. It was nice meeting you," She said as she stepped away from Jimin as waved her hand. Saying her goodbye to the man with a smile. He's a good person, and she's grateful that he helped her emotionally back then at the gynaecology hospital. Jimin nodded his head as he waved his hand at the lady with a smile on his face before he got back into his car and drove away.

 

Jimin walked into RCove and went to the private room where Namjoon and Taehyung usually hang out to drink. He sighed as soon as he saw Taehyung inside the room. Jimin wondered, how did Taehyung can be that calm when he was the reason for someone else misery? Taehyung raised his brow and saw Jimin walk into the room with an expressionless face.  

"How can you be this calm after you make someone pregnant?" Both Taehyung and Namjoon turned their heads and looked at Jimin. 

"I'm pretty sure that the baby is not mine," Taehyung replied as he rolled his eyes in annoyance. 

"But she was sure it was yours," Jimin sat down as he grabbed a can of beer from the table.

"Yah! Any guy can get into her pant, and she wanted to say that I'm the cause of her pregnancy? How funny!" Taehyung replied as he shook his head. Jimin looked at his friend in confusion. Mari was sure that her child belonged to Taehyung, but now, Taehyung's contradicted statement confused him. Jimin leaned back on the chair as he looked at Taehyung and Namjoon. 

"I just felt bad for her," Jimin said after a short silence. 

"Why would you feel bad for her?" Namjoon asked. 

"She's... just pitiful," Jimin muttered as the image of Mari puking due to morning sickness and how her energy drained right after the vomiting episodes kept on playing in his mind.

"Anyway, your business with her is done. You've got a fill-in bride on your wedding day, and your mother is happy. So, you don't have to meet her anymore," Taehyung said, and Namjoon nodded his head. Jimin sighed. He did use the woman just for his selfishness. It doesn't feel right. It disturbed him that his action caused someone to live a miserable life. What would she say to her grandma if the older woman ever asked her about her husband? Who's going to take her to the hospital if she gives birth? Jimin sighed as he sipped the beer from the can. Namjoon remained silent as he watched Jimin's twisted face; he could tell that something was bothering the man. 

 

Two weeks later,

Jimin was on his way to go back home from work when his eyes spotted a pregnant mother carrying a grocery bag to cross the street. Suddenly, the image of Kwon Mari came to his mind. He sighed before he took a U-turn at the junction. He decided to drive his car to Mari's apartment and check out on her. He barely got any peaceful sleep knowing how he turned Mari's life upside down. No matter how comfortable his bed was, his mind was not at rest.

In less than ten minutes, he was standing in front of her apartment unit and agonizing over whether he should ring the doorbell or not. He crossed his arm and stared at the closed door for a few seconds. He didn't want to disturb Mari's life, but at the same time, he couldn't leave her to face her problem alone. Jimin scratched his head before taking a step back and walking back to the elevator. 

"Jimin?" 

Jimin lifted his head to look at the voice that called for him. It was Kwon Hyeja, Mari's grandmother; she smiled as soon as the elevator door stopped at her level. She was back from throwing garbage, and she was surprised to see Jimin's face in front of the elevator. Jimin bowed her head to the grandma and smiled at her politely. 

"Why didn't you get in the house?" The old woman asked as she grabbed Jimin's arm and dragged him to her house. 

"I-I didn't know the password," He stammered as he followed the grandmother to her unit. 

"Oh, the password is 1107#1. The first four digits are Mari's birthday. Eleventh of July," The grandmother pressed the door lock button and unlocked the door to her apartment. Jimin took off his shoe and got into the house while the grandma when to the kitchen after she took off her slipper. 

"Where have you been for the past two weeks?" The grandma asked as she pulled the chair at the dining table for Jimin to sit on. 

"I-i ... I've been busy with work," 

"Jimin-ah, no matter how busy you are with work, your wife and child safety should be your priority." The grandma said as she put down a cup of tea for her new grandson. 

"I will take better care of Mari... I'm sorry, grandma," Jimin bowed his head, expressing his apology to Kwon Hyeja. 

"Aigoo, don't be sorry to me. Your wife had it hard. Her morning sickness was terrible last week, and she barely eats anything, but she still needs to go to her class." The grandma pulled out a chair and sat in front of Jimin. She just smiled at the man and pointed at an old photo hung on the dining area wall. There was a photo of a man, a pregnant lady and the grandma. 

"That was the only family picture that Mari had. Her parents died three days after she was born," She said as she sighed. Mari never had a complete family her entire life. The grandma then took Jimin's hand and patted it. "Please take care of Mari. Love her, care for her and let her rely on you. Don't leave her alone. She-" 

"Jimin-shi??" Mari's voice interrupted the conversation between Jimin and the grandma. 

Jimin turned his head to look at her. It was only two weeks of time, but her face had sunken. The dark circles around her eyes showed that she couldn't sleep well for a few nights. Her sloppy outfit showed that she barely paid attention to her look right now. Jimin sighed as he stood up and walked towards Mari, who seemed confused about his sudden visit. He looks into her dull eyes that barely have any light in them. Jimin took her hand and pulled her into her small room. 

"How are you?" Jimin asked as he closed the door shut and stood right in front of Mari again. 

"I-i'm good... How-" 

"Why did you lose so much weight?" Jimin asked. His hand cupped her face and tilted it left and right. He wanted to take a better look at her face. Her cheek was indeed sunken. 

"The morning sickness is so bad lately," Mari muttered as she looked at Jimin's attentive eyes. He looked like he was sincerely worried about her. Mari bit her lips as she felt guilty. "I'm so sorry if-" 

"Why are you apologizing?" 

"I'm sorry if I become a new burden in your life," 

"No, no... you're not a burden to me. Instead, I'm the burden in your life," Jimin replied as he stepped back from the woman. 

"Jimin-shi, why are you here?"

"I wanted to see you. That's why I came here." 

"Why do you want to see me?" 

"..." Jimin was dumbfounded by the question as he looked at Mari's face attentively. He was unsure himself what made him come over to her house. But, something that he could not deny was that he was worried about her. He was worried about her pregnancy. He was so worried about her to the point that it disturbed his sleep. He barely has any time to think about Joeun because he is thinking about the baby that was in Mari's womb. Who will be the father of the child if Taehyung continuously denies that the baby was his? "I'm worried," Jimin muttered it shortly before he put on an awkward smile on his face.

"Jimin-shi, you don't have to worry about me. I'm doing good," Mari chuckled as she patted her face with her palm. She might look slightly pale right now.

"Just... Let me take care of you while you're pregnant," Jimin whispered as he directed his eyes to Mari's flat tummy. Her baby bump was still invisible.

"Grandma-"

"Shushhhh~! Just let me take care of you, okay? Hmm?" Jimin knew that Mari didn't want to burden him, and she didn't want him to be involved in her life. But he could not just leave the girl and act like a stranger after knowing about her condition. "Just let me stay here with you until you give birth," Jimin added after a few seconds of thinking. He had decided that he'll stay around Mari. He'll be with her at all times until she gives birth. 

"Wait, what? You want to stay here, with grandma and me?" 

"Yes, please let me do that for you," 

"No, no, it's uncomfortable," 

"This house is comfortable-" 

"That's not what I meant. We don't even know each other. Why would you help me? I find it uncomfortable receiving your help,"

"I find it uncomfortable leaving you alone," Jimin patted his chest, pointing out how frustrated he is when Mari refuses his offer. 

"But I'm -" 

"Accept it, Mari-shi. Just accept my helping hand. I'm here to help you and your child. Let's not think about anything else but the baby. Hmm?" Jimin crouched to look at Mari's face clearly when she looked down. She was pondering what words should she say to refuse him politely. She then looks around her small room. She barely had any space to fit another mattress in this room. It was too small to fit in another mattress. 

"But, I cannot sleep on the sofa any longer. It may break my back," Mari mumbled as she looked at the floor of her room. 

"Don't worry, Mari-shi, you won't be uncomfortable with me. I'll try my best," Jimin said before he pulled Mari into a comforting hug before he got out of the small room. "I'll go home and take some of my clothes," Jimin turned around with a huge smile before he continued walking out of the room. Mari sighed as she placed her hands on her waist while she looked around her small room. Where should she put his bag when he came back? 

 

"Jimin-shi~! The dinner is ready," Mari called for Jimin, who had just come back to her house with his small luggage. Hyeja smacked Mari's shoulder with a glare. She had warned her to call Jimin with endearment. She didn't like it when Mari called Jimin formally like that. It makes them look like strangers instead of a married couple. Mari rubbed her shoulder before she rolled her eyes. 

"My husband~! Park Jimin~! Sweetheart~!" Mari scooped out the rice while calling him the endearment that her grandmother wanted. 

Jimin opened the room door with an awkward smile after he changed his clothes into his house attire. Jimin scratched his head, feeling awkward walking in his pyjama in a house that does not belong to him. Mari turned her head to look at Jimin, who silently sat on a dining chair. He smiled at her politely, which caused Mari to laugh and nod her head. It was his idea that he wanted to stay with her. She could tell that Jimin might regret his decision anytime soon. 

"That's a cute pyjama," Mari said, pointing to the polka dot pyjama on him. 

"But you're cuter," He replied, pointing at Mari's oversized shirt and checkered pants. Mari chuckled as she shook her head and served the side dishes on the dining table. 

"Thank you for the food, grandma and Ma- ... my wife," Jimin stated as he clasped his hand with a pair of chopsticks. He looks down at the table filled with side dishes and foods. Most of the foods are simple side dishes and vegetables, but it succeeded to bring a smile to Jimin's face. Homemade food always tastes good on his tongue. The three of them ate their dinner with some small talk. 

"Let me wash the dishes," Jimin said as they finished their meals. He took the empty bowls on the tables on the dining table and went to the sink. 

"Thank you, Jimin-shi," Mari whispered as she stood beside him.  The grandma went into her room right after she finished her dinner.

"You're welcome," Jimin replied with a warm smile as he wore a pair of gloves. Getting ready to wash the dishes. Mari nodded her head before returning to the dining table to clean the table. She felt guilty for making Jimin to be tangled up in her life, but she didn't refuse his help anymore. She couldn't lie to herself that she really needed someone to rely on. She took the notes that she wrote from today's lectures and sat at the now empty dining table while Jimin was still doing the dishes. She needs to study to pass her exams. 

Jimin, who had just finished washing the dishes, turned around to the sight of Mari, reading some notes and typing on her laptop. He took a few steps and sat in front of Mari after he wiped his hands dry. He sat there silently as he looked at Mari's action. She does look tired but what amazes him is that she didn't give up on her study despite her circumstances.

"W-why are you looking at me like that?" Mari stopped typing as she realized Jimin had been staring at her for more than five minutes. 

"I'm just curious. How old are you?" He asked as he scrutinized her face. "Don't tell me you're a minor," He added

"Hahahaha, ... I'm not an underage kid. I'm 21 years old and in the third year of my bachelor's degree," Mari said while chuckling. 

"Thank God I didn't get married to a minor. Or else I'll be sent to the prison," He jokes as he his hair backwards. 

"Huh? You didn't do a background check on me?" 

"Nope, Taehyung said he'll bring someone to be the fill-in bride. He told me that he'd take care of everything and just be calm. I didn't know that he'll do something like this. I thought he was going to pay an actress for me." Jimin sighed as he leaned on the dining chair. He didn't know that Taehyung would use a girl he knocked off to be his fill-in bride and threaten her to abort the baby. 

"It was actually my fault. I should've taken good care of myself in the first place." Mari muttered as she looked down at the pile of papers on her table. 

"It's fine. I'll take care of you from now on," Jimin said before he stood up and ruffled Mari's hair. He went into Mari's room to rest and let the girl focus on her study. Mari inhaled deeply as her eyes stayed on Jimin's back as he walked into her room. She clenched her shirt as her eyes were b with tears. The thought of Jimin sincerely wanting to take care of her makes her sad or somehow overwhelmed. "Oh, I'll prepare the bed. You can't sleep on the sofa tonight," 

As the clock ticks, in a blink of an eye, it was midnight... 

Mari kept all her notes back into her file and tidied up the table. She hesitantly walks to her room. Sleeping in the same room with Jimin is bothering her. She never slept in the same room with any guy. How can Jimin be cool about it? Mari turned her head to look at the empty sofa in her living room. The sofa seems like a better option. Mari decided to turn off the light and sleep on the sofa. 

"Mari~... " Her sleep was disturbed by a voice calling for her. 

She didn't respond to the voice. Suddenly she felt as if her body was lifted from the sofa. Mari opened her eyes to the sight of Jimin's face a few inches close to her face. He was lifting her from the sofa. 

"Shhhhh,.. just sleep," Jimin said as he carried her into her small room. Then, he placed her on the foldable floor mattress. He lifted her head a little to fix the pillow's position under her neck. Mari remained silent as her eyes remained on Jimin's face. Why would he go to this extent to help her? He pulled the blanket and covered her body. 

"Jimin-shi... " 

"I guess you're not comfortable sleeping in the same room with me. It's okay. I'll sleep on the sofa instead," Jimin whispered slowly as he tucked her blanket, preventing cold air from hitting her skin. Jimin stepped back and stood up, "Good night, Mari-shi," 

"W-wait, are you really going to sleep on the sofa?" Mari sat up. 

"Don't worry. I'll be fine." Jimin sat down again, pushing Mari to lay down. 

"But, I'm not fine," Mari grabbed Jimin's hands that were pushing her shoulder down to make her lay down on the mattress. 

"... " Jimin looked at the woman in confusion. 

"Just sleep here. Besides me." Mari clutched Jimin's hand tightly. She didn't want Jimin to sleep on the sofa. The sofa in her house was worn out and barely had any cushion left on it. It might be too hard for his spine health. Jimin let out a small smile as he nodded her head. 

"Are you sure? I can sleep here?" Jimin asked, reconfirming her request. 

"Are you okay sharing a blanket with me?"

"I'm fine with it. How about you?" 

"Okay, let's share the blanket. If you're not comfortable in any way, just tell me," Mari said as she patted the empty space on the mattress. She moves slightly closer to the wall. Jimin slowly places his head down on the pillow beside Mari and pulls the blanket to cover both of them. He didn't mind sharing a bed with Mari. He didn't have any intention to harm her, so he didn't mind sleeping in the same space with her. 

"Are you comfortable?" Mari asked as Jimin remained silent for a couple of seconds. 

"I am. Are you?" 

"I'm good," Mari replied as she nodded her head. Jimin hummed before he fell asleep. Mari fell asleep a couple of minutes later. She didn't know that sleeping in the same bed with Jimin was not a big thing. They were like two people sleeping beside each other without disturbing one another. On the other hand, Jimin got to sleep comfortably, knowing that Mari was safe.