Chapter 5

The Fill-in Bride

"She's puking again?" The grandma asked as she walked out into the living room to the sight of Jimin patting Mari's back as she walked out of the bathroom. Jimin nodded his head with a small smile to the grandma as he guided Mari to the dining chair. Jimin pulled out a dining chair and made her sit on it. He squatted down to get a better look at Mari's pale face. 

"Are you okay now?" Jimin asked as he wiped her moist mouth with his pyjama's sleeve. Mari sighed as she shook her head, she was exhausted, and it was just eight in the morning. Jimin nodded his head as he stood up and took a bottle of mineral water from the shelf. "Drink some water," He muttered as he twisted the bottle's cap and passed the bottle to Mari. 

Mari's morning sickness episodes had become his alarm clock for the past two weeks. Mari will wake up from her sleep around seven in the morning, and she'll sprint to the bathroom less than five minutes after she wakes up. Like the first time he saw her having her vomiting episode, Jimin would wake himself up and go to the bathroom to pat Mari's back or hold her hair back. 

"Don't forget to eat your breakfast, Jimin-ah, Mari-ah," The grandma said as she put on her shoe before she walked out. The older woman was still working despite her golden age. She makes money by folding boxes at a fried chicken shop. Jimin waved his hand to the old woman. 

"Jimin-shi, thank you," Mari said as she drank the mineral water. 

"Your puking today is worse than yesterday," Jimin replied as he tucked her hair behind her ears. 

"It'll get better, right?" Mari asked with a worried face. 

"It will don't worry," Jimin smiled as he comforted the woman. He has already done some reading on pregnancy, and Mari's situation will get better when she reaches her second trimester. He went to the kitchen and prepared a cup of honey lemon tea. He found out that honey lemon tea will help reduce the severity of morning sickness, so he's been making it for Mari for the past couple of days. "Drink this and eat your breakfast. I'll send you to your college today," Jimin said after he placed a cup of honey lemon tea and sat in front of her to have his breakfast. 

 

 

"Thank you," Mari said as the car stopped at the front gate of the campus. Jimin nodded his head as he unlocked the car to allow Mari to be able to open the door. Jimin waves his hand to Mari as she walks into her university's lawn. Mari waved her hand back to Jimin as she stepped away from his car. Mari pulled her cardigan as she walked forward, and suddenly she noticed that the bulge on her tummy could be seen. It might not be big, but the bulging is there. Mari places her palm on her tummy for a couple of moments. 

Jimin, who was watching her back from his car, decided to step out of his car because he saw her standing still while holding on to her abdomen. He was curious and worried when he saw her clenching her abdomen. "Mari?? Kwon Mari?" Jimin yelled from his car, hoping that his voice would reach her ears. 

"Jimin-shi!" Mari turned around with a big smile on her face. 

"What's wrong??? What happen?" Jimin asked. 

"I can see my baby bump!" She yelled as she walked back to his car, reducing the distance between her and Jimin. Jimin looked at the woman in confusion as she walked back and stood before him with a huge smile decorating her face. 

"What? Is everything good?" Jimin asked as he grabbed her shoulder and turned her around. 

"Can you see it? My baby bump, it's finally visible," Mari replied as she showed him her abdomen. Jimin let out a chuckle as he listens to her question. He stepped back from the woman and looked at her from top to toe before he nodded his head in agreement. 

"Yeah, I can see your baby bump," He continuously chuckles as he looks at the woman. He had already noticed her tummy growing since last week, but he never said anything about it as he worried that Mari would be self-conscious walking around with a baby bump. 

"Isn't it cute?" She let out a chuckle knowing how ridiculously happy she was when she noticed her baby bump. "I thought the baby was not growing because of my morning sickness," She added as she gently patted her abdomen. 

"You worry too much, silly girl," Jimin laughed as his eyes stayed on her sparkly excited eyes. She looked so excited when she noticed her baby bump. Mari rolled her eyes before she walked back to her campus with a bright smile. 

"See you at home, silly man~!" She yelled before she ran towards her faculty building. 

"Kwon Mari! Don't run!! Mari!!" Jimin rubbed his eyebrows as he looked at the college girl that was now running. He shook his head before he got back into his car and drove to his office. 

 

 

"You're late again, Park Jimin," A man from the room opposite his office said as he watched Jimin open the door to his room. Jimin rolled his eyes and turned his body to look at the man. Kim Seokjin, the financial director of the company. 

"I need to take care of something at home," Jimin replied as he scratched his neck. 

"Something at home?? What? Your wife?" Seokjin raised one of his brows as he looked at Jimin. He knew that Jimin got married in early March, but Jimin had never shared anything about his married life with anyone in the office. It was foolish of him to ask Jimin about his personal life.

"Yeah, some morning sickness is going on," Jimin's reply causes Seokjin to look at Jimin in surprise. 

"Oh! Congratulations!!! You're going to be a dad!" 

"I know, right." Jimin chuckled as the image of Mari flashing her baby bump to him this morning came into his mind.

"So when will you introduce your wife to your colleagues? You didn't even invite us to your wedding." 

"My wife is pretty shy with people. I'll introduce her to you if we ever meet each other outside." Jimin stated before he headed back to his office. Jimin his computer and started his work for that day with a smile. He did not know how to explain it. But the thought of the baby growing healthy makes him contented with his life which had been empty since Joeun left. Jimin looks at his computer's wallpaper, Joy's face smiling brightly on the screen. He must have been the happiest man alive on earth if God gifted him and Joy with their little angel. He still loves her despite the scar she gave him. 

 

 

"Hoseok-ah, I never saw Jimin around for the past couple of weeks," Namjoon said as he sat beside Hoseok, who was enjoying his cup of tea. Hoseok lifted his head slightly to look at his friend. Jimin has never come to RCove for at least five weeks now makes Namjoon worried about him. Jimin was unreachable too. He ignored their calls and text. Jimin was a warm person who loved to treasure the people around him; his disappearance for a couple of weeks made his friends worry. 

"Did you go to his house?" Hoseok asked as he leaned on his chair. 

"He's not home either. I visited his house a couple of times last week," Namjoon replied. 

"Don't tell me he went to America to look for Joy?" Hoseok gasped and put a hand over his wide opened mouth. Jimin was a hopeless romantic man when it came to Joy. It is one of the strongest possibilities of his disappearance. Namjoon sighed as he shook his head. Jimin should've at least replied to his text or something. The both of them continued with other conversations while waiting for Taehyung to arrive. 

"What's up?!" Taehyung arrived at the restaurant and greeted his friend. Namjoon reached out his hand for a short high-five and Hoseok did the same thing. 

"Yah, did you know where Jimin is? He's unreachable for the past couple of weeks." Namjoon asked as soon as Taehyung took his seat. 

"I don't know. Why? Did something happen to him?"

"He's not home, and he never replied to our text," Hoseok interrupted, which caused Taehyung to look at Hoseok, who was sitting beside him. Jimin was that friend that always reachable and around when we looked for him. His disappearance is sure a mystery to them. Taehyung pondered all the possibilities on Jimin's whereabouts. Taehyung suddenly remembered the man named Seokjin, who is Jimin's colleague. 

"Did you remember that talkative guy from Jimin's office? Did you have his number?" Taehyung took out his phone to look for Kim Seokjin's number. He remembered meeting that man when he was hanging out with Jimin somewhere. That Kim Seokjin guy was a very friendly person and exchanged his number with everyone before Jimin pushed him away to go back to his table. 

"Ohhh!!! I remembered him. I'll call him," Hoseok said He took out his phone and searched for Seokjin's number. 

An hour later, 

Seokjin walked into the cafe where Hoseok requested to meet. Hoseok told him that they wanted to ask something about Jimin. He agreed to see them because they sound worried for Jimin's well being. He smiled as soon as he was Hoseok waved his hand, signalling him that they were there. Seokjin arranged his steps to the group of friends. Seokjin took a seat beside Namjoon and greeted them with a brief handshake. 

"So, what do you want to ask about Jimin? I can't be here for long. My wife is waiting in the car," He said as he pointed at a car in the parking lot beside the cafe. 

"Oh, sorry. We just wanted to know how it is Jimin lately? Did he behave strangely? Did he come to work?" 

"Hahaha, you guys are worried about him, huh? Don't worry, and he did behave strangely. He came to work late every day for the past three weeks. But, he had his reason.... his wife is currently having morning sickness..." 

"What?!?!" Hoseok yelled in shock as he looked at Namjooon and Taehyung. Did he hear it wrong?  Morning sickness? Jimin didn't even have a wife. Who the hell is pregnant now? Joeun will definitely don't want to be pregnant at the peak of her career. 

"Yeah, I heard that the morning sickness is so bad. Hence, he couldn't leave his wife alone," Seokjin replied. 

"O-other than that? Anything strange about him? He didn't even pick up our calls," Taehyung raised his brow as he questioned Jimin's officemate. 

"He's being normal as always. He didn't pick up your calls because he's frequently on the phone with his wife. He called her at least once in three hours... he didn't have time for other things now... You should just be patient until the baby is delivered." Seokjin let out a hearty laugh as he looked at the three confused faces around him. Probably they didn't know that Jimin's wife is currently pregnant. Seokjin looks down at his watch and says, "I should go now. And if you guys are too worried about Jimin, just come over to our office," He stood up from his chair and bid his farewell before he walked out of the cafe. 

 

"I told you that I'll take the bus today," Mari said as she walked toward Jimin, who was waiting for her outside of the campus. He just smiled and opened the door of his car for the lady. Mari mouthed a short thank you to him as she secured herself in the passenger seat. Jimin shut the door gently before running back to the driver's side. He wanted to bring Mari out for dinner tonight. She had been craving short rib stew for a couple of days. 

"I'm taking you out for dinner. You've told me that you wanted to eat short rib stew yesterday." 

"Really? Are we having that for dinner tonight?" 

"Yup, I've booked the restaurant that you wanted. The restaurant only accepted walked-in customers, but after I told her that my pregnant wife was craving her stew and could not queue too long because of her pregnancy lethargy. And you know what, the restaurant owner agreed and reserved a table for us." 

"Wah~! Jimin-shi, you are the best!! The best person to ever exist in this whole world!" 

"So, how are you going to reward me?" Jimin raised his brows as he looked at Mari's brown irises. 

"I'll do the laundry for you," She replied cheekily, which causes Jimin to let out a peal of laughter. 

After a few miles of driving, they arrived at the famous short rib stew restaurant. Mari got out of the car and took a picture of the restaurant with her phone. The restaurant was famous for its short rib stew, and every day the queue to get into the restaurant kept on growing longer and longer. She couldn't believe that Jimin had succeeded to reserve a table for her. Jimin shook his head as he watched Mari take a picture of the restaurant enthusiastically. 

"Jimin-shi, take a picture of me," She said as she walked to the parking lot's middle part and made a thumbs-up sign. 

Both of them then walked into the restaurant and received death glares from the people queuing for their turn to get to the restaurant. Mari grabbed Jimin on his arm as she felt uncomfortable with the number of stares that they got as they walked to the front part of the queue. Jimin chuckled as they reached the front door of the restaurant. 

"I already made a reservation in the name of Park Jimin," Jimin said to the worker guarding the restaurant's door. The female worker then nodded her head and looked at Jimin and Mari. They were taken into the restaurant and guided to a table for two. The stews were already served on the table with side dishes and two bowls of white rice. Mari bowed her head in gratitude to the waitress before sitting on the chair. Mari's eyes shone brightly as she looked at the stew served on the table. 

"Mari? W-why did you cry?" Jimin stammered as he noticed that Mari suddenly bawled in front of him. 

Mari shook her head as she looked at the food served on the table. Probably because of her pregnancy hormone, she was easily overwhelmed by any kind gestures by Jimin. Jimin stood up and wiped Mari's tears away from her face. Mari lifted her head to look into Jimin's eyes before she hugged Jimin's waist as she sobbed. How can someone be this nice to someone like her? He didn't even know her that well to treat her this nice. 

"You're such a nice person Jimin-shi," Mari cried as she hugged his waist tightly. 

"You should just say thank you, silly girl~!" Jimin let out a chuckle, ignoring all the stares around him that were attracted to see why Mari cried as she sat in front of her dinner. Jimin her hair gently and said, "Are we going to let the silly baby eat cold stew then?" Jimin asked, pointing to the hot stew on their table. Mari shook her head and let him go. Pregnancy surely makes her feel all sorts of feeling due to hormone imbalance. 

"Let's not call the baby silly," Mari muttered as she took a few pieces of tissue to wipe her tears. 

"Why? You're the silly girl, so that the baby will be the silly baby," Jimin said playfully as he sat back on his chair. He succeeded to put on a smile on Mari's face. 

"I'm not silly~" Mari muttered as she scooped a rice spoon into . 

"Sure... silly girl~!" He replied softly as a big smile remained on his face. He was happy that Mari loved the dinner surprise that it took him by surprise to her sudden burst of tears. Jimin shook his head as he took a piece of short rib and placed it in her rice bowl. The two of them continued to eat happily. Little did they know that someone had observed their actions. 

 

 

"The dinner was the best!" As soon as Jimin got into the room after a short shower in his checkered pyjama, Mari said. "Thank you~!" Mari smiled as she dusted off her pillow, getting ready to sleep. Jimin chuckled as he dried his hair with his hair towel. It was probably her twentieth time saying thank you tonight. Jimin sat at the corner of the mattress and handed the hair towel to Mari. 

"If you're that grateful, come here and dry my hair," 

Mari comes closer to Jimin and takes the towel from him in no time. She sat in front of Jimin with a bright smile before she abruptly pulled his head and made him bow. She started to gently dry his hair from the back part of his head. Jimin laughed again at her violent way of pulling his head. Jimin keeps his head down to allow the pregnant lady to dry his hair thoroughly. The room fell into complete silence as Mari shut and helped Jimin dry his hair. 

"May I touch it?" Jimin's voice breaks the solemn in the small room. 

"What?" 

"Your baby bump..." 

"Sure," Mari replied, allowing Jimin to touch her bump. The man gently put his palm on the semi-round tummy. The bump was barely visible, but it was there. A cute little bump that incubated the silly baby. Jimin patted the bump gently. He never knew that pregnancy would feel so long. He thought that nine months of pregnancy would just pass by in the blink of his eyes. But watching Mari go through her pregnancy each day makes him feel that the time passes so slowly. Mari bit her lips when Jimin suddenly moved closer to her and placed his ear on her tummy. Jimin practically hugged her waist as he stuck his ear on her tummy. Mari caressed Jimin's head gently, letting the man listen to the sound of the baby in her womb. 

"Ack!" Mari yelled as she felt her back suddenly feel heavy as Jimin leaned more towards her. 

"Why?" Jimin straightens his back to look at Mari's face. 

"You're heavy," Mari replied with a burst of small laughter. The words that came out of caused the man who was worried just a second ago to break into a smile. 

"Mari-shi, please be healthy and deliver the baby safely, hmm?" He said as if he was asking her to be healthy and safe. Mari nodded her head, reassuring the man that she'll make sure to deliver the baby safely and be healthy. Jimin smiled as he cupped Mari's face and tilted her head left and right. Her complexions have looked better since he moved here. Her cheeks were no longer sunken, and she was not as pale as in the last two weeks. Mari was about to say something to him when his phone suddenly rang. Jimin took his phone and looked at the screen. The name he awaits the most appeared on it, calling for him. 

"Joy?? Is that you?" Jimin asked as he jumped on his feet.