Chapter 8

The Fill-in Bride

It was a quiet weekend for both Jimin and Mari, and they spent their morning having breakfast with grandma in the living room before watching some morning shows. Mari sat on the floor with one hand massaging her abdomen. She felt she had been experiencing a menstrual cramp since the last night. It was uneasy. The feeling of pulling and stretching in her abdomen causes her to break into a cold sweat. 

"Mari-shi? Are you okay?" Jimin asked as he noticed Mari's twisted face. 

"I'm having cramps right now." She whispered slowly to Jimin. Mari turned her head to look at her grandma, who was now watering her succulents on the balcony. The older woman seems to be occupied with her activity. 

"May I touch it?" Jimini leaned forward and scooped down from the couch to sit beside Mari. Mari nodded her head as Jimin placed his hand on her swollen abdomen. He could feel that her tummy was tightening and stiff. It was not like that the last time he held her pregnancy bump. Jimin rubbed her abdomen gently, hoping that it would ease some pain. Mari shook her head as a sign that it was not working. "Do you want to go to the hospital?" He asked. 

"No... I've googled it. It's just pregnancy cramps." Mari replied as she looked down at Jimin's hand, which was still trying to ease her cramps. Mari tilted her head as she looked at Jimin with a smile. How can she not like a person as kind and gentle as Park Jimin? His actions showed how much he cared about this pregnancy. Jimin might be the guardian angel sent to her so she could carry on with the pregnancy. She'll use these moments to appreciate every little gesture from Jimin because she knows Jimin will never be hers. 

"Oh~! Have you done some googling, huh? That's new," Jimin raised one of his brows to Mari. 

"What do you mean by that?" Mari glared at the man in front of her as she hit his hand away from touching her baby bump. 

"Nothing, it's just..." 

"What!? Just what?" Mari asked as she moved away from Jimin. She remembered the last time that Jimin made fun of her when she asked him about pregnancy. Just because he knows more about pregnancy than her, it does not mean he could make a joke out of it. She's still learning, and she will learn more about pregnancy. Jimin erupted into a burst of huge laughter when Mari moved away. She sulked every time he , and it was amusing. How she rolled her eyes when she moved away from him was just too funny. Before Jimin could utter another word, Mari stood up and entered her room. 

"She sulked again?" Grandma asked as she stepped into the living room when Mari walked away. Jimin laughed and nodded his head in amusement. "I'm warning you, Jimin-ah!" Grandma placed both of her hands on her waists as if she was angry before the older woman shook her head in small laughter. She could not be angry at Jimin when her granddaughter had a hormone imbalance roller coaster. 

 

 

Mari got herself ready for the evening shift. It was her first official day working as a part-timer at Hoseok's coffee shop. Was she nervous? Of course, she is. But she needs to do this. She wanted to be financially independent of Park Jimin. She wanted to pay for her own hospital bill. She wanted to buy clothes for her child by using her own money. 

"I'm good. You should have some fun with your friends," Mari said as Jimin parked his car right in front of the coffee shop. 

"Can you really work at this stage?" Jimin ruffled his hair before he looked at Mari's face. It was uneasy for him to let her go to work. She nodded her head with a bright smile. How can he say no to that face? Jimin nodded his head before unlocking his car, allowing the lady to get out of the car and waved goodbye to him as she walked into the coffee shop. She looks happy at the thought of returning to work whilst Jimin is worried to his bone. 

"Good evening, everyone," Mari greeted as she got into the locker room. She was greeted with a new face. The man was fixing his apron in the locker room. Her presence causes the man to pause and stare at her. She bowed her head to the new face she had just met. She went to her locker and took out her apron and cap before going to the front bar where Taehyun was. 

"Taehyun-ah, who is the man in the locker room?" Mari asked him who was wiping the counter at the cashier's spot. 

"Oh, he is our new worker too. His name is Choi Yeonjun. Noona, don't worry too much. He is a nice person, and Hoseok-Hyung instructed both of them to cover for you when you're tired," Taehyun replied, which caused Mari to look at Taehyun with worry. She didn't want Hoseok to give her the pregnancy privilege. She didn't want to create bad blood with the new worker. Yeonjun was assigned to the barista bar with Mari to prepare coffee for the customer. Then Mari started her work with her previous task: the barista at the front bar. 

"Yah!! Didn't I tell you to replace my milk with almond milk!?!" A customer yelled at Taehyun, who was standing at the cash register. Taehyun looks at Mari with a questioning face. 

"Noona, did you use regular milk for this Mister's latte?" Taehyun brought the cup to Mari, who was busy making a cup of americano. 

"Y-yeah, did I make the order wrong?" Mari looks at the cup given to her with a worried face. 

"Noona, did you look at the order receipt? He wanted to replace the milk with almond milk," 

"Ah, I'm sorry I forgot to look at the order note," Mari said as she ran to the front of the cashier register to apologize to the customer. She bowed her head and told him that she'd replace it with a new coffee. The angry customer nodded his head in agreement when Mari apologized to him sincerely. They were lucky that the man didn't drink the coffee yet, or else something might happen to the customer as he had an allergy to milk. Mari's shift ended after the closing of the coffee shop, which completed her 8 hours of work. Mari went back to the locker room to keep her cap and apron. 

"You! Why did you do that?"  Mari flinched at the sudden voice that was talking to her. Mari turned around to look at Yeonjun, who was crossing his arm while standing tall in front of her. 

"What?" Mari asked as she stepped back as the man was too close to her. 

"It was me who made a mistake earlier," Yeonjun said. He was the one who missed reading the order note for the customer's latte. He was unable to utter a word when Taehyun gave both of the questioning looks when he got the order wrong. It was his mistake, but he didn't understand why Mari came forward to apologize. 

"Yeonjun. Choi Yeonjun." Mari reads his name from his name tag out loud as she stares at him. 

"Yes, my name is Yeonjun," He replied as he felt flustered by the sudden stare he received from the woman. 

"My name is Kwon Mari. You can call me Mari." Mari crossed her arm and sat on the bench in the middle of the locker room. "Yeonjun-shi, I stepped up for you because our boss will not tolerate this kind of mistake." 

"Will the boss tolerate this kind of mistake if it's you who did it?" Yeonjun scratched his head in confusion as he sighed and sat down beside her on the long bench. 

"Yup. He will tolerate it if it is me." 

"Why???" Yeonjun asked in shock. "Are you his girlfriend or something?" 

"No~! He already got a wife, you crazy kid. He'll forgive me if I make any mistake because I'm the only person who can make chamomile tea according to his preference," Mari replied with a short chuckle before she stood up and went back to her locker to keep her things and take her purse. "So, Yeonjun-shi, don't worry, okay? I got your back," Mari said before she left the locker room. 

 

 

Mari walked down the street, heading to the bus stop. She glanced at her watch, where the time was currently flashing. It was half an hour after ten; she told Jimin that she'd go back home with her friends and Jimin should go out with his friends. She sighed as she continued walking slowly with careful steps. 

"Silly baby, please grow healthily and be happy. I might not be able to prepare a perfect family for you, but I'll give you all my love. So, please, be strong for me, my child."Mari whispered slowly as she walked down the dark road, heading to the main road with bus stops. Little did she know that she was being observed. She seems to be in her own world while rubbing her small tummy. 

"Mari-shi!" With the sudden call of her name, Mari turned her head to look at the source of the voice. It was Kim Taehyung in his car; with the passenger seat's window rolled down, he shouted her name. Mari just looked at the man without many expressions before she decided to ignore him and continued to walk forward. Why did he feel entitled to utter her name? She's not that cheap. She had nothing to talk to with Taehyung. 

"Ouch!" Mari yelped as Taehyung grabbed her hand aggressively. She was yanked backwards by his force. Luckily, she didn't fall. Mari glared at the man as she snatched her hand away from him. 

"What do you want from me, Taehyung-shi?" Mari hugged herself as she kept her distance from Kim Taehyung. "We got nothing to talk about. So, don't mind my existence!" Mari yelled in anger before she arranged her heels forward. 

"Let's talk!! Please, Mari-shi! Let's talk! I swear I'll be nice! You can record the conversation if you want to," Taehyung said, raising both hands as if he were surrendering himself to the authority. Mari turned her head to look at the man again. What did he want from her? This baby? Mari's eyes bulged at the sudden thought that appeared at the back of her mind. 

A few minutes later~

Taehyung parked his car somewhere hidden from the crowd. He wanted to talk to Mari in private without being discovered by anyone that knew him. Mari looked around; she observed that Taehyung parked at the small park near the Han river, where nobody was around. Mari took out her phone and clicked the record button on her phone. Is she was ever been harmed by that man? She won't let it happen. 

"Mari-shi. Who is the father of that child?" Taehyung asked as he turned off the front light of his car. He calmly crossed his arm as he looked straight at the view of the Han river. 

"I've told you before. I'm not going to say it again," Mari replied as she put her phone in the pocket of her hoodie while the phone was put into recording mode. 

"I don't believe it. That child is not mine," Taehyung shook his head. He was amazed at how consistent Mari was with her words. It's not like he didn't know that she was in love with him and anticipated his presence at the coffee shop every morning. He was not the least interested in a college girl like her. Did she really, after a few s with him will, make him fall in love with her and marry her? Is she insane? Or has she been living in a fairy tale? Someone like him will never be with a girl like her. "If you go around and tell people that your child is mine. I'll make you abort it. Did you hear me?" 

"If you say so, I don't have anything more to say to you," Mari nodded her head without saying much. She thought that his words wouldn't hurt her anymore. But listening to those words coming from a biological father to her child hurts from a different angle. What if the silly baby discovered that he or she was not wanted? It must hurt them. 

"I'll say this again. I want my words to be imprinted in your brain. That child is not mine, and don't you ever come to me to do any favour for that child!" 

"I got it, Kim Taehyung. You don't want to be anything related to my child... I got it." Mari held her tears back. Once the baby is born, she'll give all of her love to her baby until the baby doesn't ever feel the need to have love from a father. She'll figure out her life without a man who can be called her child's father. How can Taehyung be so sure that this child is not his? Their relay might not be long, but their relationship was not a one-night stand. Mari kept her face calm and nodded her head as if she were swallowing all his words with an open heart. 

"Don't be a burden to Jimin. Live on your own and raise your child on your own. Why are you clinging to Jimin?" Taehyung asked as he wondered why did she think it was fine to accept Jimin's helping hand. 

"I didn't cling to him. I told him to stay away from me. It was him that came to me!" Mari replied sternly. She didn't know what was in his mind. But his words hurt.

"I'll raise my child well. Is there anything else you wanted to say?" 

"... " Taehyung looked at Mari. She remained calm in the darkness while holding back her tears. 

"Can I say my part now? Kim Taehyung?" Mari's sudden words cause Taehyung to nod his head in agreement. He had already said what he wanted to say; now, it was her turn. 

"Promise me that you'll never try to take away my child from me," 

"..." This time around, Taehyung was shocked by the words that came from her lips. 

"Promise me, Kim Taehyung!!" Mari yelled in desperation. 

"Yah! Why ... would I want to take your child!? I promise you, I'll never ever try to take away your child," Taehyung stuttered on his words. He felt as if something was not right. 

"Repeat after me... I, Kim Taehyung," 

"I, K-Kim Taehyung," 

"Will never take away Kwon Mari's child. Repeat the sentence completely." 

"I, Kim Taehyung... " He stopped as he observed Mari's facial expression. He could not tell what was going on in her mind. "Will never take away Kwon Mari's child." 

"Okay...  I think we're done. Now, can you send me home?" Mari nodded her head after Taehyung completed saying the sentence. She wanted an agreement from Taehyung. She must clarify that Kim Taehyung won't have any right over her child in the future. Mari tucked her seatbelt and sat tight without saying any more words. She had enough conversations with Taehyung. Any link left between them should be severed. Taehyung nodded his head while his mind was a huge mess. He will send her home safely. He'll do her that mercy. Before long, Taehyung's car arrived at the bus stop near the apartment where Mari lives. 

"Stop here. Anyway, thank you for the ride." Mari stepped out of the car before she walked deeper into the neighbourhood. Taehyung nodded his head before going away with his car. He needed some drink to clear his mind, so he his navigation device and clicked on the pinned location named 'RCove', where Jimin and Namjoon promised to meet tonight. 

 

RCove was busy, especially on Sunday night. Taehyung tossed his key to the valet boy before he walked into the luxurious lounge belonging to Namjoon. Taehyung was about to take the flight of stairs when his sight fell on the silhouette of his girlfriend, Song Minchae. She was hanging out with her female friends, drinking liquor, and dancing on the dance floor. Taehyung went towards her and greeted the beautiful girl. 

"My dear~! Taehyung-shi!" Minchae cheered as soon as she spotted Taehyung walking toward her. His stunning visual causes the group of females that came with Minchae to gasp when they look at his ethereal visual. How can someone look so good? A smile appeared on Taehyung's face as Minchae pulled him into a hug. 

"Are you meeting someone tonight?" Minchae asked as she wrapped her lean arms around Taehyung's neck. 

"Minchae-ah, let me introduce you to my friends."

"Shall we?" Minchae tilted her head as she planted a short kiss on his cheek. She was fine if Taehyung wanted to introduce her to anyone. 

"Let's go," Taehyung smiled as he guided Minchae to the second floor of the lounge, where all the VIP rooms were located. Minchae was so excited that she never thought Taehyung would introduce her to his friends. Knowing Taehyung, he's not someone that will set both of his feet in a relationship. He was someone who always said no to commitments. Minchae likes him just the way he is. He was honest about it, and she liked it. Minchae tucked her hair nicely as their arrived in front of the door with the alphabet V.I.P on it. 

"Taehyung!! Long time no see, man!" Namjoon cheered as soon as Taehyung opened the door. Taehyung pulled Namjoon into a tight hug before Taehyung went towards Jimin and hugged him too.  Jimin chuckled as he patted Taehyung's back. He could tell that Taehyung missed them so much. Taehyung didn't have anyone else other than Namjoon, Hoseok and him. Jimin let go of Taehyung as his eyes fell on the pretty lady who came into the room with Taehyung. 

"Oh, by the way, guys. This is Song Minchae, my current girlfriend," Taehyung introduced Minchae to his friends. Jimin reached out his hand for a short handshake, and Namjoon did the same thing after pondering for a few seconds. "Hoseok didn't come tonight?" Taehyung asked as he didn't see Hoseok in the room. 

"I guess we won't be seeing Hoseok here for a long time," Namjoon replied as he sat down on the sofa in the middle of the VIP room. 

"Why? Why won't he be here? Did his wife forbid him?" Taehyung asked as he pulled Minchae to sit down with him. 

"You guys didn't know?" Namjoon looks at both Jimin and Taehyung in confusion. 

"What?" Jimin and Taehyung replied simultaneously. 

"His wife is currently pregnant!!!" Namjoon replied, which caused the other two to be silent and blink their eyes a couple of times. A smile appeared on Jimin's face while the opposite reaction happened to Taehyung. His face turned bitter. Taehyung turned silent for a few seconds before a bitter smile made its way to his face. 

"Yah! Hoseok is not going to leave you just because he's having a kid," Namjoon slapped Taehyung's arm as he rolled his eyes. Taehyung let out a short insincere laugh. 

"I'm sorry for not keeping in touch with you guys for the past month. I was also busy handling pregnant women, and I swore it was not easy." Jimin replied, knowing how much his absence hurt Taehyung. 

"Your wife is pregnant too?" Minchae who had been silent all this while, finally voiced out. This causes Jimin and  Namjoon to turn their head to look at the lady.

"Y-yeah. My wife is pregnant too." It felt strange to utter the word wife for Jimin. 

"How far along is she?" Minchae probed more. 

"She's currently on her 17th week." 

"Oh God, what do you think of her Jimin-shi? Does her body changes a lot?" 

"Of course, she ... changes." 

"I never wanted to be pregnant. Working as a top model, my body is more valuable than being pregnant." She replied before letting out an awkward laugh once the room fell completely silent. The three men didn't know how to respond. Minchae smiles at the three men when the atmosphere in the room turns cold and heavy. "Oh, anyways. I should go because my friends are waiting for me downstairs," She added as she stood up from her sitting position. 

"See you later," Taehyung muttered, which caused Minchae to nod her head and kiss the tip of his nose before she went away. 

"Wow, Minchae is the female version of you. You guys must've got along so well." Namjoon joked as he took a bottle of wine from the ice bucket on their table. Taehyung nodded his head as he let out a huge laugh. How can he not like someone like Song Minchae? Someone who had the same mind as him. Someone who didn't want commitment and someone independent. Someone who is the total opposite of Kwon Mari. Jimin just shook his head and didn't want to comment on how Taehyung lived his life.

"So, Mari was 17th week, huh? How was your first trimester?" Namjoon asked. 

"It was challenging, of course. Her emotion fluctuated immediately if I ever said something wrong. It was amusing to watch," Jimin said as a small smile made its way on his face.

"I guess you enjoyed becoming a pregnant lady guardian," Taehyung scoffed in annoyance. Why would Jimin invest so much of his time in a woman like Kwon Mari? 

"Probably, I like the thought that someone is relying on me. I'll be her guardian until she delivers the baby safely." 

"Yah! You're not even married to her. Do you think you can be her guardian? You're funny," Taehyung let out his laughter as he gulped down a flute of white wine. He could not understand why his friends would enjoy things like having kids, being a guardian to another adult and even letting someone rely on him.  Why would anyone do that? 

"Taehyung-ah, what did Mari do to you until you hate her to this extent?" Namjoon asked as he raised his brow to his friend. Taehyung seemed so sensitive when Jimin talked about Mari. Namjoon crossed his arm and looked at Taehyung with his sharp eye. 

"Did you actually like Kwon Mari?" Namjoon added, which caused Jimin to stop moving as he was busy pouring wine into his flute. Taehyung shook his head before he made a crazy hand signal at Namjoon. Jimin sipped his wine slowly as he glanced down at his phone screen. He texted Mari that he'd spend the night at his house tonight because he might appear too drunk in front of grandma. Mari texted back to him, saying he should enjoy the night and not worry about her. Before returning to his conversation with Taehyung and Namjoon, his phone buzzed again, notifying him that he had received a text. 

Sender : Mari : Take care, Jimin-shi. If you're too drunk to drive, you could call me. I'll pick you up at the rate of 10 dollars every kilometre. 

Jimin chuckled lowly as he read her message. She knows how to make him laugh with her dry humour. 

Sending  to:  Mari : Nope, not going to call you. You're too expensive. Go to sleep and wear your socks. 

Jimin put down his phone when his eyes clashed with Namjoon's sharp eyes. They just continued with their conversation without mentioning Mari or pregnancy.