❄️ chapter 17: the first party

Spring Snowflakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter soundtrack:
spring 1 - max richter

 

 

🌸

 

 

"His Royal Highness, Crown Prince Im Sooho and Miss Eun Youngro will enter the room."

 

As everyone inside the royal palace ballroom heard the announcement made by the guard, all eyes in the room were looking expectantly towards the huge door, waiting for the grand entrance. The chatterings stopped, slowly faded out and finally turned into some kind of whisperings. Most of the guests had been invited to the royal Christmas party each year, but that year would be more special as there was a new person to be welcomed to the royal family. And everyone was getting curious to finally meet this specific person.

By that time, almost all the population of South Korea knew Eun Youngro. She had made it to the headline news everywhere, and everyone was talking about her. The official news that were spreading around didn't talk much about her backgrounds, they were only saying that she came from a simple family, still a college student and younger than the Crown Prince, and she enchantedly became the lucky woman who would marry the Crown Prince with the credits to her late grandfather who was the late King's best friend.

It sounded much like a fairytale, however it was real.

 

"I really want to see her in person. She looks pretty in the pictures, though."

"Let's see who is this lucky woman."

"Put away your phone, please."

"Did she get some bruises on her head, though? Have you seen the video of her getting hit by a camera lens?"

"Oh, oh, they're here. Gosh, if only this wasn't a private party. I would record the whole thing and share it online."

"I can't wait to tell my kids tonight I just met Eun Youngro in person!"

 

The guards who were standing on each side of the ballroom door reached out to the handle and pulled it open. 

 

There they were, entering the room. The guests who were stood a little deeper inside the ballroom had to tiptoed to see the sight of them. Some even moved their position so they could get a better view.

The Crown Prince was walking inside the room with his perfect posture, and in his arm was a young woman in a white dress. She slightly looked different than the way she looked on the pictures shared online. She looked... beautiful?

For a moment, everyone was gawking at the sight of her.

She looked so lovely and elegant, almost like a proper princess. Her bright smile was as beautiful as blooming flowers in springtime. There was a glimpse of blush on her cheeks, they looked natural. The girl must be feeling shy since this was her very first time appearing formally in person to the crowd.

Some men and women left out a gasp and silently complimented the way the woman called Eun Youngro was presented that day.

For a second, they almost thought of how lucky the Crown Prince was to get someone as beautiful as her. However, the curiosity grew even more. She was beautiful, indeed. But was she eligible for the Crown Prince? Could she fulfill the standard to become the member of royal family? And more questions appeared inside their heads. They couldn't wait to interact with her in person soon. As stakeholders to the royal family, it's important to know each of them, even with the new one, right?

 

 

 

The couple came in a halt as they entered the room, then took a polite bow together.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen." The Crown Prince greeted the guest with a loud, clear voice. "Thank you for attending the royal family Christmas party this year. I hope all of you are enjoying the party as much as we always do every year. This party is meant to be the moment for us to be connected with each other by the end of the year. We would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas. May the spirit of Christmas overflow us with peace, hope, happiness, and..."

The man peeked to his right where he found the woman in his arms was smiling confidently. 

 

 

"Love." he added, and he concluded his greetings.

 

 

That last word that was said by Sooho brought Youngro to her surpise. However, she was doing her best to remain calm, showing her best smile. She even initiatively turned her head to face the Crown Prince and smiled fondly at him.

When she realized Sooho had concluded his greetings, she slightly raised her eyebrows as she heard him whispering, "It's your turn to greet them,"

Youngro nodded. She had her greetings prepared too.

"Good afternoon, everyone. Today is my very first time to meet all of you in person. I would like to use this chance to thank the royal family for inviting me here today, and also to introduce myself personally." She paused, her eyes catching the sight of the King, the Queen, and the Queen Dowager in the middle of the room. They were staring at her expectantly, especially the King who was showing a fatherly smile.

"My name is Eun Youngro, the youngest daughter of Eun family. I am so honored and grateful to say that I'll be engaged with the Crown Prince in a couple of days and become a part of the royal family. I really wish we can all get to know each other, and create a meaningful bond with all of you. Enjoy the party, and Merry Christmas! May God bless all of us with peace and joy for the year to come!"

By the time Youngro finished her greetings, the crowd gave the couple a loud applause. Some congratulated them for their upcoming engagement.

That was the very first stage. Youngro was relieved she nailed her greetings. 

 

 

When the crowd was getting back to what they were doing, Youngro and Sooho walked deeper inside the room. It was actually Sooho who was guiding Younrgo all along. The girl was only following him.

Before they greeted the guests personally, Sooho brought Youngro with him to greet the elders. As they came closer to where the King, the Queen, and the Queen Dowager was standing, they both gave them a polite bow. 

"Your Majesty," Sooho greeted.

Youngro curtsied, following him. "Good afternoon, Your Majesty."

The King of South Korea, Im Jirok, was in his mid 60s. There were visible wrinkles on his face, and it got deeper whenever he was smiling. Just how he was smiling to Youngro the whole time that day when they met. 

"My son," he tapped Sooho's shoulder, then moved his gaze to Youngro. "Eun Youngro, I'm so happy to see you again! Welcome to the party. I hope you will have a lot of good times. How is your family? Have you sent my greetings to them?" He exclaimed happily.

"Yes, Your Majesty. They're in good conditions. My father is getting better too everyday since the first surgery. Thank you..." Youngro said.

The King was looking healthier than the way he did earlier that year when he hardly fell sick. The people was worried about him a lot, but thankfully he was recovering each day until he could get back to do his duties, based on the reports on the news. However, his voice sounded slightly hoarsed especially when he talked in a high volumed voice.

"Welcome, Eun Youngro." The Queen greeted her calmly.

Next to the Queen, the Queen Dowager looked even more thrilled when she saw her. The older woman took steps closer to Youngro and took the girl's hand. "Thank you for coming, Youngro! I'm so happy to see you here. You look so beautiful today, doesn't she, Sooho?"

Youngro couldn't help but smiling awkwardly to Sooho. But the man was looking calm as ever, and when he faced Youngro he only said, "She is, Grandmother."

 

There goes the butterflies again.

 

Focus, Eun Youngro. 

"It's my pleasure, Your Majesty. It's me who should be thankful. This is such an honor to be invited to the royal family's private event. Thank you again for inviting me." She politely thanked the royal family members again. 

Being such a friendly grandmother figure, the Queen Dowager who was still holding Youngro's hand had her grip tighter. "Oh, really! It's nothing, we are so excited to finally let everyone here meet you in person. Sooho, will you take Youngro around to greet the guests?"

"Yes, Grandmother."

"Well, then. Go on, my child. Show her around the room, and see you later at the dinner tonight!"

 

 

❄️

 

 

Youngro had lost her count that day. She didn't know how many guests she had greeted and talked with that day. Thankfully, she had Sooho next to her so she easily got comfortable and had a good conversations with the guest.

Youngro had met a bunch of ministry members and conglomerates, but from all the guests they had talked with, she had the best time talking with Joo Jooyeol, the president of J Corp, the most. He came alone by himself to the party that day, saying his wife was abroad for business and his son was busy.

It turned out that Sooho knew him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter