Chapter 8

That Kind Of Love

“Jihye ah.”

Rozalin called out softly. She found Jihye sitting alone in the café, probably doing her assignment on her laptop. Jihye looked up; startled by the sudden intrusion. Nevertheless, Jihye smiled softly at the intruder.

“Mind if I sit here?”

“Sure, sit down.”

Jihye moved her laptop to the seat next to her while Rozalin took the seat in front of her. The pair agreed to meet after Rozalin contacted Jihye few nights ago. They needed to talk anyway. But Rozalin noticed how different Jihye was now. She was smiling more than before. The last time Rozalin recalled, Jihye had stopped smiling since they had so many problems together. She almost forgotten how Jihye’s smile was like to her.

“Don’t take too long. I’m meeting Lee Jung later.”

Lee Jung. The name came up much to Rozalin’s wrath, but she promised Jihyang that she would keep her cool. In fact, it was Jihyang who managed to persuade Jihye to meet up with Rozalin. She knew the two are together. Jihyang told her.

“I come to talk about us.”

“Yes, I got the memo.”

“I need to let you know.”

“Zalin ah, I hope you can understand that our time is finally over.”

“Please don’t shoot me down just like that.”

Jihye sighed. She knew it would be hard to take things down slowly and gently with her ex-girlfriend. But she still wants to respect Rozalin as a friend.  She stretched out her hand and cupped Rozalin’s wrist.

“It has been taking too long. This problem that we have been having, all this while, I have been waiting for you to approach me. Because it started from you. I didn’t do anything wrong. Do you agree with me?”

Rozalin nodded. It was her fault, everything was caused by her and her stupidity. She knew she had messed up but she wanted to give it a shot, pouring her heart out to Jihye.

“I made the biggest mistake of my life. But I have never stopped loving you.”

“I know.”

“Then why did you stop loving me?”

“The pain is too strong. Whatever we have is no longer a relationship but just toxicity that I could never accept anymore.”

“But I love you.”

“Those words do not mean anything to me anymore, Zalin ah. You broke my heart again and again. You ripped my heart off and torn it into pieces right in front of my eyes. I have never complained about what you did but you have never put me first in anything in your life.”

“That’s my biggest mistake, right?”

“Well, I have always thought it would be much easier to move on because you have slept with other girls while you were with me.”

Rozalin’s eyes were wide open.

“It’s an open secret that I have knew for the longest time. I just kept to myself because like before, I wanted you to confess to me with your own mouth.”

“I was drunk.”

“I don’t need to know the reasons now.”

“But..”

“It’s okay. It’s all in the past. Now you know the reason why we could never get back together again?”

“I dated other women, I went drinking, got drunk and led a wandering life; slept with so many girls but at the end of the day, you’re the one I missed, and my heart wants.”

Jihye kept silent. It was ridiculous that someone would have said that but knowing Rozalin, Jihye knew how complicated this girl could get.

“I know you must have hated me.”

No reply.

“But I really love you. I don’t know why this heart is so bent on you. It has been so difficult to move on. I keep wanting to see you. But our friends just refused to let me see you. They wanted me to leave you alone; giving you a new lease of life. They don’t trust me. They don’t believe me when I said I still love you.”

Again, silence ensued.

“I want to apologise to you. I want to see you. I want to let you know that I’m truly sorry for whatever things I have said and done.”

“I have forgiven you a long time ago.”

“Thank you for that.”

“But we can never get back together. I have new girlfriend now.”

“I know. But I just wanted to tell you I love you. I know we are impossible now. I finally could see how much you mean to me. And how you have made me to be.”

“I didn’t do anything much, Zalin. I admit, I’m not a fantastic lover myself. But I loved you sincerely. I really did.”

Rozalin nodded. She knows.

“I know you loved me more than your life. But I didn’t appreciate it. I’m just a complicated person who couldn’t understand how or know what to do. I just lived my life the way I wanted it to be.”

Jihye finally smiled.

“Maybe you could find someone better to love. Someone who you finally cherish with all your heart.”

“That person is you.”

“Zalin..”

“I’ll never stop loving you, Noh Jihye. I’m not going to find anyone new anymore. My love will stop at you.”

“Zalin ah..”

“You can never stop me, Jihye.”

Rozalin got up and smiled with tears falling from the corner of her eyes. Jihye’s heart hurt a little. After all, they had many good times together.

“I love you, Noh Jihye. Good luck.”

The heartbroken girl left, leaving her ex-girlfriend behind.

“Zalin ah! I have never regretted our love. I want you to know that!”

Jihye shouted behind her but Rozalin just walked away; not looking back. She was afraid that if she does, she may never want to let Jihye go anymore.

-

Lee Jung was busy practicing a choreography that she has worked out with her friends. Odd and Rageon were there too. They decided to meet up with Kay and they were happily dancing. Lee Jung has been smiling so much and Odd feels happy for her friend.

“She’s busy dating someone.”

Kay decided to be upfront with Odd since her older sister is dating her biggest crush.

“Oh? Who?”

“Your crush.”

“NOZE?!”

Lee Jung’s ears perked up the moment she heard the name. She turned around and saw Odd staring at her, frustrated over something. She smirked playfully, Odd was about to pounce on her.

“You took so long to confess to her.”

“HOW COULD YOU!”

“I can introduce her to you. She’s unnie to you, right?”

“Oh? You can?!”

Lee Jung nodded and Odd was smiling widely. Rageon and Kay rolled their eyes at their dumb friend. They practiced the steps for almost 2 hours before Lee Jung decided to stop the class for a breather. Her moves were getting more fluid and powerful; unlike months ago; she was dying.

Just then, some of the dancers were greeting a particular Sunbae. Rageon was panicking and Odd immediately stood up; rushing up to that Sunbae. Kay blocked her view from her sister.

“What’s going on?”

“AIKI SUNBAE!”

Lee Jung looked up and their eyes met. She turned her attention to Rageon as the girl shook her head, protesting.

“I didn’t tell her anything!”

“Me too! We just told her we were hanging out with Kay!”

“It’s okay, I’ll be fine.”

“She must have asked around and those hoobaes must have told her that you’re having a class today.”

Lee Jung nodded nonchalantly. It didn’t affect her at all. Her heart is full of Noze. Aiki was long forgotten since Noze resided in her.

“Hey, Jungie.”

Aiki greeted her and the younger woman smiled wistfully.

“I heard you’re having a class today.”

“Yeah, it has been a long time.”

“Yes, I kinda miss not seeing you around in the studio.”

Odd and Rageon slapped their foreheads while Kay was blatantly staring at Aiki. How dare this woman said things like that to her sister but Lee Jung kept her smile.

“Well, I’m doing great now.”

“Oh, that’s nice to hear.”

Lee Jung didn’t acknowledge her this time around and started clapping her hands. She was gathering everyone and continued her dance class. Aiki was sitting at the corner, watching her. The woman was staring intently; watching Lee Jung’s moves. She was getting better; even much stronger and powerful than before. She knew Lee Jung’s mood has changed for the better. She couldn’t help but wondering if there’s something new with her ex-girlfriend.

The class went on smoothly and Lee Jung was so focused with her choreography. She was enjoying herself thoroughly. After hours later, the class finally ended and Lee Jung immediately picked her duffel bag.

She was already at the door when Aiki stopped her. She held Lee Jung’s wrist tightly.

“What’s wrong?”

“Can we talk?”

“Nope, I’m rushing.”

“Where are you going?”

But before Lee Jung could reply, Jihye appeared. She was picking Lee Jung up from her class. She stood in between Aiki and Lee Jung. She smiled at Aiki before her smile widened when her eyes met Lee Jung’s.

“Hello baby.”

Lee Jung blushed so hard but nevertheless put her arm around Jihye’s waist. The other dancers saw them and roared happily.

“Woo hoo!”

“Wah! Noze Sunbae!”

Odd’s eyes were full of envy and admiration. She just stood there like a statue. Rageon nudged her.

“Oh, Unnie, wait, I need to introduce you to someone.”

Lee Jung noticed Odd too so she pulled Jihye closer and walked up to Odd. She waved her hand in front of Odd’s face; the younger girl was too stumped to move.

“Baby, this is Odd. She’s your biggest fan.”

“Oh, yeah. I know that already.”

“You do?!”

Odd was surprised.

“Yeah, you kept staring at me last time. I wanted to approach you but you ran off.”

“You’re so beautiful!”

“Ahem, she’s mine!”

“I can steal her away. You’re not married to her.”

“Try me.”

“Okok, don’t fight. Odd, do come and join my class sometime.”

“Ooh, I will!”

The other girls surrounded the couple, leaving Aiki alone. Everyone knew about Aiki and Lee Jung. They knew they broke up but they were glad that Lee Jung has found someone new. Rageon went to her instead and put her arm around Aiki’s neck.

“Unnie.”

“I know.”

“Look at her. She’s happy.”

Aiki watched with disdain. This new girl of Lee Jung’s has her arms around Jungie all the time. She even gave a soft peck on Lee Jung’s lips when Lee Jung and Odd were arguing over something. Kay was just too excited to meet her sister’s new girlfriend.

“Don’t wreck her happiness, Unnie.”

Rageon subtly warned Aiki. She knew something. Aiki has told her about her innermost feelings before but it was just too late.

“It’s too late, right?”

“You broke her heart, Unnie.”

“You know I didn’t mean it.”

“But it has been that long before Lee Jung could get up on her feet. You saw her dancing right? That confident Lee Jung that I know before is back and Noze Sunbae brought sunshine into her life again.”

But Aiki was jealous. The girl she loves with all her heart is in the arms of another girl.

“Please, Unnie. Let it go. It’s over.”

Is it? Aiki wondered.

-

Wheein was studying for her exams. She was in the library alone. All the other girls were busy with something. And Yongsun was busy lately. She had an overseas meeting and was away for a week now.

“Wheein ah, I won’t be around for a week. I have a meeting in New York.”

“Oh, okay. Take care of yourself and take your meals regularly.”

“I’ll contact you as much as I could.”

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be busy with the upcoming examinations anyway.”

Yongsun informed her of her trip and it made Wheein felt good. At least, the woman shared her schedule with her every now and then. But the absence made her heart fonder. She found herself missing the older woman in the most incredulous way. She was appalled at how Yongsun’s existence meant in her life.

She sighed softly. She saw the time and it was almost 4am in New York. Yongsun must have been sleeping so she decided not to text her. The older woman would be back in two days’ time but Wheein couldn’t stop thinking about her 24/7.

“This is insane. We have not even started officially and I’m missing her like crazy.”

She whispered to herself. She sighed again before grabbing another book. But instead of that, she accidentally grabbed someone’s hand.

“Oops! I’m sorry!”

Wheein looked up but she was stunned to find a familiar face grinning at her.

“You’re missing who like crazy now?”

Wheein couldn’t say a word; she was still stumped.

“What? You don’t recognise me now? Is one week too much for you to forget this person?”

“Unnie?!”

“Yes?”

“But how? I thought you’re coming home two days later?”

“Can’t I come home early to be with you?”

Wheein’s cheeks were flushing before Yongsun went over to sit next to her. She cupped Wheein’s cheeks gently and smiled widely.

“I’m home. And I miss you.”

Wheein finally smiled as Yongsun’s confession melted her heart once again. She never expected Yongsun to appear in front of her.

“What were you doing? Are you sure you’re studying?”

“Well, it didn’t help that you kept invading my mind.”

“You sure do. I was dying to finish my meeting earlier so that I could spend my last two days with you.”

“Is this how you flirt with other women before?”

“Technically speaking, you’re the second girl I have fallen deeply in love with so I’m not sure if my flirting skills are that great.”

“It doesn’t matter anymore. You’re here now and I seriously want to kiss you.”

“Kiss then.”

“This is a library not a kissing booth.”

“Tsk. Conservative aren’t you?”

“It’s a school library.”

“Fine, how about you pack your books and we go somewhere more private?”

“I have exams.”

“I promise I won’t disturb you. I just want to hold you in my arms while you read your notes.”

“Sounds tempting.”

“I’ll cook too.”

“You? Cook?”

“Ok, I’ll order in. How about that?”

Wheein suddenly stood up and packed her books. Yongsun grabbed her bag and they left the library instantly. While walking towards Yongsun’s car, Wheein took the courage to hold the older woman’s hand.

“This is a pleasant surprise.”

“If you don’t feel like it, you can let go now.”

Yongsun tightened her grip.

“No way, I waited for so long to hold your hand.  I’m never letting go, Jung Wheein.”

“I’d love that.”

The pair got into Yongsun’s car and left the school premises. They went over to Yongsun’s apartment.  Yongsun lives on her own so there was plenty of privacy. It was not the first time for Wheein. She had been there before for lunch. But this time, she was alone.

“You know where my room is. Feel free to change into my clothes. I’ll order some food now.”

Yongsun disappeared into the kitchen. Wheein made her way to Yongsun’s room. It was her first time entering so she was nervous. She checked Yongsun’s cupboard and grabbed a shorts and faded t-shirt. She then looked around the room. Yongsun’s room was neat and tidy. There wasn’t much stuff in her room and her apartment looked almost empty.

Yongsun was a minimalist.

“Found something comfortable?”

“Yeah, thanks Unnie.”

“I ordered food. I’ll head to the shower first. You can continue your revision first.”

“Where can I study?”

“You can use the study table there.”

Yongsun pointed to the corner of her bedroom. Wheein nodded and started her revision. She waited patiently for her Unnie to finish her shower. It took Yongsun an hour before she reappeared just wearing her sleeping gown which was see-through. Wheein could see almost everything, she almost choked on her own saliva.

“What are you wearing?!”

“I wear this to sleep.”

“But I’m here!”

“Why? Are you aroused?”

“I’m seriously thinking you’re just suggesting this to bring me home to your bed.”

Yongsun winked but Wheein rolled her eyes. She turned to her notes; ignoring Yongsun. She left the room but minutes later, she appeared with two mugs of coffee. She put one next to Wheein and then settled down on the sofa next to Wheein’s table.

She was holding on to her ipad.

“I’m not going to disturb you for an hour now. I’ll prepare for my meeting notes.”

“You promise?”

Yongsun laughed before she gave a soft peck on Wheein’s forehead.

“We’re not together officially yet.”

“Oh.”

“Trust me. I won’t do anything tonight.”

“Are you going to ask me to sleep over?”

“If you want to. If not, I can send you home later.”

Yongsun kept her promise. She was concentrating on her ipad and even made some phone calls. Wheein was studying but she would glance over to her side; watching Yongsun looking serious while focusing on her work.

Suddenly, her heart filled with warmth. She enjoyed this moment together. And she was amazed at how focused Yongsun could be. She was incredibly y but that night gown was seriously not helping her much.

“Jung Wheein, focus on your notes. This is not the time to think something stupid.”

She chided herself but eventually, she couldn’t help it. She ended up watching Yongsun.

“I can come aboard with this Kim Yongsun.”

Wheein knew her heart has fallen deeply too. If Yongsun wants her tonight, she would gladly give herself. Her mind was losing the fight with her heart. Wheein wants Kim Yongsun badly.

-

Lee Jung and Jihye were walking hand in hand down the street. They just had dinner and shared their day together. Love keeps growing for them. Lee Jung knows Jihye is someone she wants to spend her lifetime with.

It was different this time. Even when Aiki was around her, she was not distracted at all. She could focus on whatever she was doing and when Jihye came, she was just too excited to see her new girlfriend.

She gripped Jihye’s hand tightly.

“I’m not going anywhere, baby.”

“I know but I just want to hold your hand.”

Jihye smiled widely before leaning closer to kiss Lee Jung’s forehead. The couple was basking in the love they have built for each other. Two lonely and broken girls found each other along the way.

“Did Rozalin hurt you just now?”

“Nope, she didn’t. I made it clear to her that we’re over.”

“Did she take it badly?”

“Well, she promised not to bother me anymore.”

“Were you upset?”

“Upset?”

“After all, you two shared a long history together.”

Jihye sighed.

“I told her I never regretted my love for her. But it was just impossible for us to be together anymore. Because I have you.”

Lee Jung’s heart felt so light. She has never felt this kind of love before.

“I trust you, Jihye. And I think I love you even more than before.”

Jihye smiled before pulling Lee Jung’s nose playfully.

“How about you? I saw Aiki Sunbae held your wrist tightly.”

“She wanted to talk.”

“So did you manage to talk?”

“That was when you appeared. Honestly, I didn’t have the energy to entertain her.”

“What if she has something important to tell you?”

“Even if she does, it will not mean anything anymore. It is no longer important. To me, you’re my light, my saviour and my angel. Seeing you is good enough to make me feel confident about myself.”

“Do I really change your life around, Jungie?”

“You did more. You saved my life, love.”

“Let’s just stay together for the longest time, okay?”

“I promise. I will.”

Lee Jung then pulled Jihye closer and hugged her tightly.

“I love you, Noze.”

“I love you too, Jungie.”

They shared a tender kiss together.

-

Unknown to them, Aiki has been following them from afar. Watching the two of them behaving intimately didn’t go well for Aiki’s heart. She needed to talk to Lee Jung but the younger woman just refused to give her that chance.

She took out her phone and dialed for someone. The person picked up instantly.

“Hey, did you manage to talk to Noze?”

The person replied.

“And you let her go just like that?”

Aiki’s face changed when the person decided to let Jihye go.

“I thought you still love her?”

“Well, she loves someone else.”

“Didn’t you promise you will get her back?”

“I cannot force her to love me.”

“That’s not what you told me that night.”

The person sighed before added on.

“If you love Lee Jung, you want her to be happy.”

“I love her but I think I should give a chance to explain to her why I left.”

“Isn’t it too late now?”

“Are you going to help me then?”

“What?”

“Help me getting the woman we love back into our lives.”

The person hesitated.

“Rozalin, you said you cannot live without Noze. Are you just going to give up like that?”

Rozalin kept her silence on the other side of the line.

“Let’s talk about this other time. In the meantime, please do not do anything rash.”

Aiki kept her silence this time.

“We will think of something but not today. I have cried too much. And I don’t have energy to think about Noze tonight.”

“Fine, I’ll talk to you some other time.”

Aiki hung up immediately. She couldn’t believe Rozalin was willing to let Jihye walk away. She knew the relationship was already beyond reconciliation, but she wanted to try again.

She really wants Lee Jung back.

-

Irene was watching television when Moonbyul came to look for her.

“This is late.”

“What is? Is Wendy here? Are you having with her?”

“What! No! She’s with her parents. They went to visit her grandmother.”

“So, you’re free to entertain me, right?”

“Heh?”

Moonbyul let herself in before Irene could react. The woman rolled her eyes but nevertheless grabbed two cans of beer before joining the police officer in the living room.

Moonbyul was staring at her phone and then cursed inwardly.

“What’s wrong?”

“Yongsun has been busy. She’s hardly meeting up with me now.”

“I hardly see her in office.”

“Huh? How can that be? You’re her secretary.”

“She’s busy with something.”

“What is she busy with?”

Irene wondered why Yongsun hasn’t told Moonbyul about Wheein.  Those two are much closer; their relationship dated way back.

“Well, she has someone new.”

Moonbyul was stunned.

“WHEN?!”

“Just few months ago. Well, they are not together yet but she’s been hanging out with this girl.”

“Why didn’t she tell me?”

“I was wondering about that too.”

Moonbyul suddenly gulped the whole beer and slammed the can on the coffee table. Irene was shocked but she somehow realised it must have been something going on between them. Then some memory occured to her. She gasped before sitting up straight, facing Moonbyul. 

“Hang on, are you still in love with her?”

Moonbyul kept quiet.

“And Yongsun is aware?”

“She said its not the time yet.”

“WHAT?!”

“She has been rejecting me.”

“Since when?”

“Since I know her.”

“And you’re still waiting for her?”

“I don’t know. I mean, I thought she needs more time. I just wanted to stay by her side.”

“The two of you have been friends like forever. And you have been carrying a torch for her since then?”

“Yes, even before she met you and when the two of you were together.”

“Wow, you must have hated me.”

“I don’t. You were good to her. She was just losing her own senses because of her family background. That’s why I stood by her.”

“Byul ah, it has been far too long. If she still doesn’t reciprocate your feelings then it will never happen. You know how Yongsun is like, right?”

“Is it really impossible? Cant best friends be lovers?”

“Well, it will not happen to the two of you.”

“Who is this new girl?”

Irene was hesitant. Should she reveal or should she let Yongsun do it? But Moonbyul knew Irene wouldn’t say it. She just sighed softly.

“If I start to woo her properly, you think I have a chance?”

“What makes you say so?”

“This new girl could just be a fling for her. Yongsun has many flings since she broke up with you. Those many women who entertained her and once Yongsun got tired, she would leave her.”

“I don’t think this new girl is that kind of girl in her life.”

“What are you saying?”

Irene sighed before she held Moonbyul tightly in her arms.

“Byul ah, I think Yongsun is serious about this new girl. But if you really want to tell her, I think you should find some time to talk to her.”

-