Chapter 2

That Kind Of Love

Noze reached school earlier than anyone else. She wanted to do some research, so she headed to the library. It was opened but Noze was surprised at the number of students inside.

“What the. It’s only 7.30 am and there are already so many people?!”

But she managed to find a comfortable seat by the corner. Again, she prefers to be in a secluded area. She wants to avoid people. She’s terrified of strangers. She put her bag down and then went to look for the books that she wanted.

She went through rows by rows; pulling out the books and picked out those related to her study.  She was at her final search, at the last few rows of bookshelves. She searched intently.  Her face lighted up when she found it. She grabbed it but someone else was holding on to it as well. The person was standing on the opposite side.

“Erm, excuse me. I think I got hold of the book first.”

Noze spoke up but the person did not release her grip. Noze frowned before she tugged harder. The other person did the same.

“Why you!”

Noze pulled harshly and a hand followed through. Finally, the book was released but Noze was shocked to find a familiar face staring at her; bewildered as well.

“Lee Jung?”

“Oh, it’s you.”

“Why are you here?”

“Doing research.”

Noze looked at the book then looked up. She burrowed her eyebrows together.

“Business law project huh?”

“Yup.”

“What’s your study title?”

“Corporate Law – how it is affecting the society.”

“Oh, we have the same title.”

“Ah, that’s why you chose the same book.”

The two just broke into a small laughter.  Lee Jung then walked over to where Noze was standing. 

“You’re early.”

Lee Jung smiled.

“Yeah, just wanted to do some research in peace.”

“Ah, same here. I couldn’t sleep much so I decided to head to school earlier.”

“Then why don’t we just do it together?”

“Sure! Where do you sit?”

Noze brought Lee Jung to her favourite place. Lee Jung’s mouth dropped to the floor. Noze was surprised to find someone’s bag opposite her not realizing that the bag belongs to Lee Jung.

“Looks like someone has taken the other seat. Do you want to head somewhere?”

“That someone is me.”

“Huh?”

Noze was surprised.  Lee Jung walked over to her bag. She put up her file and showed her name. Noze finally understood but was stunned to realize that Lee Jung is aware of this corner too.

“I used to sit here all the time. This is my favourite place because it’s far away from the rest.”

“Ah, wow. This is my favourite place too. I love sitting here because it’s quiet.”

Lee Jung gave her silly grin. She scratched the back of her head and then laughed quietly.  She then pulled out her seat and placed her books on the table. She took some from Noze’s hands.

“I guess, we can do our work together. I got some books here which you might not have. Maybe we can exchange ideas?”

“I’d love that.”

The two girls settled down; with the books sprawled against the table. Lee Jung was organizing her notes while Noze was pulling out her laptop from her bag. The two of them worked quietly; Lee Jung scribbled notes while Noze was typing her report.

The pair just worked in silence for the next half an hour before Lee Jung decided to stretch her back. She yawned softly before she looked up. She just stared blankly at the girl in front of her. Noze’s hair was tied up neatly into a bun. She wore her specs, and her eyes were concentrating on the screen of her laptop. Books were staggered up as Noze pulled one after another; reading the pages she had folded.

Then Noze puffed her cheeks up.  She was adorably cute, and Lee Jung blinked her eyes a couple of times. Something stirred in her heart.  The woman in front of her was acting cute without realizing it. And Lee Jung was stupefied by it.

The other woman was clueless to what she was doing to the girl in front of her. But she could feel someone was staring so she finally looked up. Lee Jung was indeed staring at her. It was Noze’s turn to blink her eyes. She felt warm on her cheeks.

“Erm, is there something on my face?”

“Huh?”

“Why are you staring at me like that?”

“Ah! No, no. I was just erm stoning. Staring into space.”

Lee Jung tried to hide her embarrassment. But her flushing red cheeks were giving her away.

“No, seriously, was there something on my face?”

Noze asked again; this time she looked a little concern. Lee Jung cursed inwardly. She was causing all this awkwardness because of her stupid stare.  She looked around nervously before sighing out loud.

“I thought you look cute with your cheeks like that.”

Noze’s eyes widen.  She finally realized what she was doing. She hid her face behind her book.  Lee Jung chuckled softly.

“You don’t have to hide.”

“It’s embarrassing!”

“What is? Your cute face?”

“Stop teasing me!”

“I’m not! I just thought you looked really cute.”

“Cute is not in my dictionary.”

Lee Jung rolled her eyes.

“Seriously? You don’t have to act like one. You’re naturally cute.”

Noze slowly pulled the book down while Lee Jung bit her lower lip. Did she just lowkey trying to flirt with Noze?! She slapped her forehead.

This time, Noze was amused.  She grinned widely.

“Well, you’re naturally cute too. Cute Lee Jung.”

“Ok, both of us are naturally cute. So, we’re in truce.”

“Why? Are we in the middle of a war or something?”

“You get what I mean!”

It was Noze’s turn to tease Lee Jung and it worked. Lee Jung’s face was reddened by the second. Noze giggled softly while Lee Jung rolled her eyes. She looked at the time.

“It’s almost 8.30 and class starts at 9. Do you want to grab breakfast together? I’m almost done with my research.”

“Yeah, I’m done actually.”

“Oh wow, you’re really good.”

“I can send you my notes if you want.”

“You willing to share with me?!”

“Isn’t that what we agreed earlier on? Sharing ideas?”

“Oh, that’s right. Ok! I’ll send you mine too. But for now, I’m famished. Can we eat something before the lecture starts?”

“Sure, let’s pack and go.”

The two girls immediately packed and left the library eagerly. Honestly, both were hungry. They made their way to the cafeteria. They found a place and then ordered some sandwiches and coffee. The pair just sat and ate together. For someone like Noze, being awkward around strangers is no longer an issue with Lee Jung.

Strangely, she felt comfortable being around Lee Jung. They hardly talk before this. And now, they just sat together while having breakfast. Noze was only comfortable with Yeojin since they know each other for the longest time but not Lee Jung. She hardly knows this girl, yet she feels like she has known Lee Jung forever.

Lee Jung, on the other hand, felt weird inside. Ever since her break up with Aiki, Lee Jung never had the courage to sit alone with another girl. Yes, Noze is Yeojin’s friend but she’s not close. They are not close unlike Yeojin and Wheein. Yet, Lee Jung finds it easy to interact with this girl. Her heart feels light, and she doesn’t feel intimidated by Noze’s presence.

And they can talk easily. Their topics that they share together just come naturally. It was not awkward; there were no damning silence in between and one thing for sure, their hearts feel warm. It was almost heart-warming to hear each other laughter. Like as though they were healed from their previous pain.

What is this feeling? Why am I so comfortable with her?

Both had the same thoughts again.

-

 “Lee Jung is in the library. She said she’s doing some research.”

“At 7am in the morning?!”

“She probably cannot sleep again.”

“Damn, Aiki unnie really destroyed Lee Jung’s heart.”

Wheein sighed. She couldn’t agree more. Hyejin was spot-on. Aiki unnie was the first serious girlfriend for Lee Jung. Lee Jung fell hard, probably harder than Aiki ever did. Wheein was worried for her friend, but Lee Jung convinced her that she would move on.  She trusts Lee Jung. Maybe time could heal the pain Lee Jung is feeling inside.

Just then, her phone rang. Wheein saw her Mommy calling her. She winced.

“Mommy~”

“Wheein ah, how’s your morning?”

“Great! I think.”

“You think? What’s wrong? Did someone bully you?”

“No, no! I’m fine, Mommy. Why did you call me so early in the morning?”

“Did you remember today’s appointment?”

Wheein suddenly recalled. Her mother wanted her to go to a meeting on her behalf. Her Mommy couldn’t make it.

“Yes, I remember.”

“Okay, great! You just need to be there. Mr Park will be the one pitching to the CEO.”

“I’m your representative?”

“Yeah, you’re my proxy. You can sign on my behalf.  Mr Park will explain everything to her.”

“Okay, Mommy.”

“Mr Park will pick you up around 3pm. And he will send you back.”

“Okay, Mommy. I got it.”

“Alright, sweetie. I must go now. Love you!”

“Love you too.”

Wheein hung up and threw her phone on the bed.  There were times she wished her Mommy could call her and ask about her well-being. Or just have a good heart to heart talk with her. She hates the fact that her Mommy calls her whenever it is for business.

“Your Mommy has your interests at heart.”

“She only calls me for business talks.”

“She’s a busy woman. I thought you knew that.”

“Well, she’s been busy like forever.”

“Call your Taeyeon Omma then.”

“She’s even busier. She has a comeback this month. I hardly see her around in the house.”

“Looks like someone’s unhappy.”

Wheein shrugged her shoulders. She’s grateful that she has everything in the world but she’s lacking one thing – her mothers’ attention.

“Your mothers love you. You know that, right?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“Be thankful.  She’s grooming you to be the next heir of her business empire.”

Wheein couldn’t argue more. Hyejin comes from a poor family. And she works hard to be in the same university with Wheein. She just nodded her head and then packed her bag. Just then, her phone beeped.

“Wheein, her name is Kim Yongsun. I told her you’re coming instead. I’m proud of my little girl. I love you, Wheein.”

“I love you too, Mommy.”

It was not entirely a lie. It was the truth. She loves her Mommy.  But she wished for a little more.

-

Wheein was rushing because she was late. She totally forgotten about her meeting with Kim Yongsun. Mr Park called her umpteen of times. She finally answered.

“OH MY GOD!”

“Hi, Miss Jung! You finally answered!”

“I’m sorry! I was in the middle of a lecture, so I put the phone on silent mode! I’m rushing now!”

“No, it’s fine.  Miss Kim will be coming over to your campus instead. I’m on the way there now.  Just wait at the cafeteria. She will call you.”

“Oh, she’s coming over?”

“Yeah, she should be there in half an hour. I’ll see you later, Miss Jung!”

Wheein was relieved. She thought she was going to be dead. This is an important meeting. Her Mommy might slaughter her alive if she misses this appointment.  She looked around her. Hyejin left the very second the class was dismissed. The lecturer hasn’t left the theatre, but Hyejin would be the first to step out. Lee Jung was not with them throughout the lecture. Wheein spotted her with Noze though. She was curious but she had important things to do. She would interrogate the girl later.

Yeojin unnie was also missing. She probably left after Hyejin. That two girls just couldn’t wait. She wondered why she was friends with them. So, she left the theatre before waving goodbye to Lee Jung and Noze.  She made her way to the cafeteria.  The cafeteria was filled with hungry students. She spotted Hyejin and Yeojin together. They had already started eating.

“WHEEIN!”

Wheein joined them briefly. She took a bite of Yeojin’s sandwich.

“You’re leaving now?”

“Apparently, the person is coming over to the campus.”

“What? What time should you be in the meeting just now?”

“3pm?”

“YA! JUNG WHEEIN! ITS ALMOST 5 NOW!”

“Yes, I know. That’s why she’s coming over.”

“Your mother knows?”

“I think Mr Park is helping me out.”

“Geez, get along now. Before your mother throws her tantrum that her beloved daughter blew off her business meeting.”

“Shut up. I’m leaving now. By the way, can you look for Lee Jung? Something’s fishy. She has been with Noze the whole morning.”

“Don’t be possessive! Let your best friend date!”

“I didn’t mean that you idiot! Just look for her and ask her what’s going on!”

Wheein almost wanted to smack Hyejin’s forehead when she remembered her meeting. She better hurry before she missed out again.

“I’m so going to kill you when I see you tonight.”

“Bye Mom!! See you later, Mom!!”

Wheein stormed away. Her best friend is a dork and Yeojin unnie is annoying.

-

Kim Yongsun was amused when Mr Park called her earlier on.

“She’s in a class so she probably turned her phone off. I couldn’t get her.”

Mr Park was panicking. Yongsun was a little amused. Of course, the girl would turn off her phone. She’s having a lecture.

“It’s fine, Mr Park. We can reschedule.”

“I wish I could, but Miss Jung wants us to settle this contract before the new season comes.”

Yongsun gave it a thought for a second then decided to meet up with Miss Jung’s daughter at her campus.

“Since she’s busy, why don’t I go over to her campus?”

Mr Park gave her the information.  She jotted down in her notebook and then packed her stuff.

“Let’s meet at her campus. I’ll be there around 6pm. She will be done by then?”

“Yes, she’s calling me now.”

“Okay, I’ll see her then.”

“Thank you, Miss Kim! Thank you very much and sorry for the inconvenience caused!”

“It’s fine. I have nothing on today.”

Yongsun left her office as soon as Mr Park hung up. She reminded Irene to leave at 6pm. She decided to head down alone.

“You sure?”

“Yes, go home and rest. I’ll head home after I’m done with the contract.”

Yongsun drove to the campus. She was earlier than the scheduled time. She studied at the university briefly before her grandfather transferred her to Oxford University. She was amazed at the changes. She hasn’t been there for the last 4 years.

Yongsun made her way to the cafeteria. She walked past the library and across the garden. There was a koi pond in the middle of the garden. Yongsun stopped at the pond. Since she was a little early, she sat on the floor while watching the koi fishes swimming around in the pond. They looked like they were dancing gracefully.

Suddenly, someone tripped over and fell on top of Yongsun. The girl literally fell flat on Yongsun; she was stunned for a second.

“Oh my god!!”

The girl was petrified. She quickly got up, but their legs were tangled again. She fell once more; this time hitting her head against Yongsun’s forehead.

“Ow!”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!”

“No, it’s fine. Wait, let me help you. Don’t move.”

The girl stopped struggling and Yongsun slowly sat up; pushing the girl away gently from her lap. She managed to take a good look at the girl in front of her. Yongsun was taken aback.

The girl has a long, brown hair. She has some tattoos on her hands which she covered with her cardigan. The girl looked concerned.

“Are you alright? I’m sorry! I’m such a klutz!”

“No, it’s fine. I was at fault too. I should have sat on the bench.”

“It was me! I should have looked around. As always, I’m walking with my eyes on the phone.”

“Nah, it’s okay. None of us is seriously injured. Don’t worry about me. But it seems to me like you’re in a hurry.”

“Yeah, I’m supposed to meet someone.”

Yongsun nodded.

“I’m sorry yet again. Here, this is my number.”

The student scribbled on her notebook and tore out a tiny piece of the paper.

“Call me if there’s something. I mean, like your skirt is dirty etc. I’ll repay you. I must go now! See you!”

The girl ran off quickly and Yongsun was amused. She then looked down at the number. She frowned. The number looked familiar.  She took out her notebook and saw the number of the person she was supposed to meet at the campus. It was the same number.

“Ah, that girl is Jung Wheein, Miss Jung’s daughter.”

Yongsun smiled widely. Jung Wheein is such a cutie.  

Never know Miss Jung’s daughter is such a klutz. Yongsun was tickled by the thought of it.

-

“MR PARK!!!”

Wheein was relieved to find him waiting for her. Mr Park smiled, amused at his boss’s daughter.

“Why is your hair so messy?”

“Is it?! Oh no! I fell on someone just now.”

“Fell on someone?”

“There is this lady sitting near the koi pond. I was looking at my phone and didn’t concentrate. The next thing I knew I fell on top of her.”

“Oh my god! Are you alright? Is she okay?”

“She seems fine but she’s wearing a white top. I never really check if she’s okay, but I gave her my number.”

“Then it’s fine. We can deal with that later. Now, you have something to deal urgently.”

“Was she pissed?”

“Who? Miss Kim?”

“No, Mommy.”

“I haven’t told her anything.”

“Oh. I love you, Mr Park!”

Mr Park’s phone buzzed.

“Miss Kim’s here. Let’s go meet her.”

“Okay~~ but wait, let me fix my hair!”

“She’s on the 2nd floor. I’ll see her first. You can join us after you tidy up yourself.”

Wheein nodded and quickly ran to the nearest toilet. Oh, my gracious, she looked like a mad woman with her messy hair and untidied blouse. She wore a blouse top and pants. She usually dressed up if she must meet someone on behalf of her mother. Today was no exception. She quickly tidied herself up and made her way to the top.

She must look presentable. She must look smart. She represents her mother. Miss Jessica Jung, one of the renowned fashion designers in South Korea. Wheein hates such façade. She doesn’t enjoy such life, but she was born into such family. Her other Mommy is renowned singer. Well, nobody knew about her relationship with Kim Taeyeon. She was hidden away because Kim Taeyeon is a popular vocalist.

That’s why she wanted something more. She wanted her mothers to acknowledge her in the public. Well, her Jessica Mommy is proud of her.  Erika Kim is well-known vocalist. But nobody knew of her relationship with Jessica Jung and their daughter, Jung Wheein.  The media were kept away by Kim Taeyeon’s agency. The idea was to protect Erika Kim Taeyeon and her family.

Jung Wheein resigned to her fate. She would always be the proxy of her Jessica Mommy and the hidden child of Kim Taeyeon. If only someone could understand her feelings now. She shrugged away her bad feelings. She had something to settle.

She made her way up to the 2nd floor. She spotted Mr Park; he was sitting opposite of Miss Kim Yongsun. He waved at Wheein and the girl quickly made her way to them. She greeted Miss Kim; she bowed deeply.

Then this Miss Kim Yongsun chuckled softly.

“We meet again, Miss Clumsy Klutz.”

Wheein looked up instantly and was horrified. She opened and pointed at Miss Kim.

“Oh my god! It was you!”

“Yes, we met again. Although the first meeting was an awkward one.”

Wheein wanted to run and hide. She fell on top of Kim Yongsun.

Let me die! Let me die!

Wheein was dying of embarrassment. She made a fool of herself in front of South Korea’s top businesswoman in the fashion world – Miss Kim Yongsun.

-