Chapter 5

That Kind Of Love

Rozalin waited anxiously for Noze. Ever since she saw Noze with another girl, her heart felt uneasy.  She never expects her ex-girlfriend would move on that easily. She had underestimated Noze.

Noh Jihye.

The love of her life. The only one love that Rozalin wants to cherish even though they are no longer together. But they are just too extremes. One is awfully quiet and an introvert while the other has many friends and enjoy having fun. Despite all that, Rozalin fell in love with Noh Jihye.

Everything about Noh Jihye is perfect. She loves Jihye with all her heart. Breaking up with Noze was never easy. She cried for hours but Rozalin is known for her poker face. She would pretend like the breakup had never caused any pain to her.

-

“Jihye ah~”

Rozalin was smiling so widely as she pounced on her unknowing girlfriend. Jihye struggled to hold her.

“Ya~”

“Aigoo, our baby is so cute when she’s angry.”

“It’s not funny.”

Jihye attempted to push Rozalin away, but the latter wrapped her arms around Jihye’s waist. She pulled her closer and rest her chin against Jihye’s back.

“I miss you.”

Jihye stopped and then turned around to face Rozalin. She smiled softly. Her dimples were showing, and Rozalin dipped her little finger in.

“You’re so pretty. I never thought I could make you mine.”

Jihye’s cheeks were flushing. She planted a soft kiss on Rozalin’s lips.

“I love you.”

Rozalin’s heart melted. She pulled Jihye closer and hugged her tightly.

-

Rozalin sighed softly. She loves Jihye. She will never stop loving her ex-girlfriend. Her friends thought she was stupid enough to give up on Jihye after 7 years of being together. But Rozalin initially thought it would be a good idea if they just remain as friends.

She hurt Jihye far too many times and Jihye just took in everything without any complains.  But now, seeing her ex with another girl, Rozalin felt weird inside. She had to find out. She had to know the truth whether Jihye is dating again.

Just then, she spotted Jihye walking towards the school gate. She was all smiles, looking all pretty and adorable as she has always been.  She was about to pounce on her when someone else walked right up to Jihye.

Noh Jihye was smiling.

She was smiling the same way she used to smile at Rozalin.

-

“UNNIE!”

Lee Jung immediately ran up to Noze.  Noze’s face lighted up instantly. She held Lee Jung’s hands and the younger girl lifted her up and then twirled in circles like a merry-go-round.

“YA!”

“Wheeee!”

“LEE JUNG AH!”

The younger girl giggled before she put Noze down. But Noze was still holding their hands together.

“Why are you so excited to see me?”

“Err, well we had fun yesterday. Erm, almost.”

“You had fun. I was the one looking after you.”

Lee Jung pouted.

“I’m sorry! I have apologised so many times before!”

“You slept like a log!”

“I will pay for the hotel room!”

“YA! YOU DON’T HAVE TO SHOUT!”

“Oh, that’s right.”

But it was too late. Rozalin heard it.

“What hotel room?”

She suddenly intruded the two girls’ space.  Noze was surprised to see her.

“What are you doing here again?”

“What hotel room?”

Rozalin was determined to find out.  She was furious when she overhead their conversation. While Noze was not willing to say anything, but she knows Rozalin’s blinding jealousy. It could be disastrous.

“We spent the night at a hotel room –”

“Why?”

Rozalin interrupted them.  Her eyes were menacingly staring at Noze. Lee Jung was still standing there, stupefied.

“We are no longer related. I don’t have to explain to you.”

“Are you moving on from me?”

“What?”

“You’re dating again.”

“Even if I am, this shouldn’t bother you.”

“BUT I AM BOTHERED!”

Rozalin finally blew up. She had this blinding jealousy that blocked all her rationality. Seeing Noze holding Lee Jung’s hands made her blood boiled inside.

Noze sighed. She pulled Lee Jung behind and squared off in front of Rozalin. Her Omma was right. She should not let Rozalin rule her life anymore. She has been too kind, too nice, and too naïve to believe that things would ever work out again with Rozalin.

But Noze still wanted to keep it civilised. She called out to her ex-girlfriend gently.

“Zalin ah, we have broken up. We have been living apart for awhile now. You have since then moved on from me; dating other girls.”

“I never date other girls.”

“Then what was yesterday about? Who was that woman with you?”

Rozalin kept quiet but she was determined not to give up on Jihye. Her Noh Jihye.

“She’s just someone who was introduced to me. We just had dinner and nothing more.”

“That’s dating.”

“But we are not emotionally attached.”

“But it is still the process of knowing each other, right?”

“No, I couldn’t even go further.”

“Why not?”

“I still love you.”

Noze closed her eyes shut. Rozalin would always use this emotional game with her. This “I-love-you” card would always be Noze’s downfall. Her soft, kind-hearted nature would take Rozalin back but this time, Noze just wanted to keep it short.

“You don’t love me.”

“I do, I still do!”

“Zalin ah, you know that we have been in this relationship for 7 years. And all we had done was to fight and argued with one another. You kept saying that I was too boring for you. I was too quiet, and I couldn’t click well with your friends.  And I have never complained about it, and you felt I was too submissive. Everything I had done for you was never enough. That’s why we broke up, remember?”

“I was stupid enough to break up with you.”

Rozalin’s eyes were tearing up. She clenched her fists together and tightly. She watched Noze gripping Lee Jung’s hands tightly.

“I thought you would never move on. You love me more than you love yourself. Your heart is only for me, and I thought you would never fall in love again.”

“That’s so selfish of you to think that I will never leave your world.”

“I know, I’m sorry! But I never knew how much I have hurt you. Now, I probably understand how you felt back then.”

“We can still be friends.”

“No, I don’t want that anymore. I want you back.”

Noze shook her head. She couldn’t take it anymore. Rozalin is just one person who could control her feelings and Noze felt helpless. She refused to let herself being a pushover, but Rozalin could break her into two just so easily.

Her hands were shaking. Her heart was hurting all over again.  She wanted to break down and cry so badly but suddenly someone pulled her into an embrace. Her strong arms around her waist and her head rested against that person’s chest.

Someone was being protective towards her.

“Enough.”

Noze was stunned when Lee Jung suddenly spoke up. She tightened her grip around Noze’s waist.

“You hurt her so badly before.  You left her because you thought she was not good enough for you. So, why are you coming back now? Why only now when she could possibly find someone new in her life? Are you that selfish? Is that how you love? Is that your definition of love?”

“Shut up. This has nothing got to do with you.”

“It does now. I have the right to protect her.”

“What right do you have?”

“I can be her someone new. I feel like she deserves everything in this world. She deserves more than just love. I want to give that to her.”

Noze immediately looked up, Lee Jung’s face was just inches away from hers. Lee Jung was staring hard at Rozalin.  She felt someone was staring so Lee Jung glanced down. Their eyes met.  Lee Jung smiled.

“Maybe we met because of one good reason. And maybe the reason could be love.”

-

“What is happening?!”

Hyejin, Wheein and Yeojin witnessed the stand-off between Rozalin, Lee Jung and Noze. They were concerned but Wheein noticed Lee Jung was holding on to Noze tightly. She held the other two girls back especially Yeojin.

“Let me get back at that woman! How dare she appeared in front of Noze!”

“Calm down, Unnie. They are still talking. Let them settle this themselves.”

“Is Lee Jung holding on to Noze?”

Hyejin was watching them intently. Yeojin stopped struggling and finally noticed them.

“What the.”

“Lee Jung has been protecting Noze. Let’s just wait and watch.”

Few minutes later, Rozalin left the duo and stormed off. Lee Jung was still staring at her with Noze embraced tightly in her arms. They waited until Rozalin was out of view. The other 3 girls quickly ran up to them.

Yeojin pounced on Lee Jung.

“YA!”

Lee Jung and Noze quickly let go of each other; staring at the 3 girls eyeing them.

“What is the woman doing here?”

Yeojin was still furious at the thought of seeing Rozalin in the vicinity.

“Unnie, she just wanted to tell me something.”

“What did she say?”

“She said she’s pissed that Noze Unnie is with me.”

Lee Jung spoke up suddenly.

“BO?!”

Wheein, Yeojin and Hyejin exclaimed.

“Why, she!”

“How dare she do that!”

Hyejin and Yeojin were pissed. Wheein rolled her eyes but then looked at Lee Jung.

“By the way, where were both of you yesterday? Your families called us.”

Yeojin suddenly remembered Gabee’s phone call.

“Yeah, that’s right! Gabee unnie was panicking when she said you didn’t return home. And then Kay called Wheein to ask where you are. Were you two together?”

Lee Jung and Noze just stared at each other; Noze was biting her lower lip while Lee Jung was fidgeting about nervously.

Hyejin narrowed her eyes. The two girls were acting weirdly.

“Were you two together?”

Lee Jung rolled her eyes. Hyejin has a way to get her to own up. Lee Jung would always fall for it. She decided to just tell them truth. Once again, the three girls went crazy.

“WHAT?! ROZALIN AND AIKI UNNIE WERE TOGETHER?!”

“AND ROZALIN GOT PISSED BECAUSE YOU TWO WERE TOGETHER?!”

“AND YOU HAD STEAK WITHOUT US!?”

“YA! IS THAT REALLY IMPORTANT NOW?!”

“Noze unnie paid for it.”

“YA!”

“NOH JIHYE! I KNOW YOU LONGER THAN LEE JUNG DID AND YOU NEVER OFFERED ME STEAK! ONLY TTEOKBOKKI!”

“YEOJIN UNNIE! YOU DIDN’T ASK!”

“GIRLS! IS STEAK MORE IMPORTANT OR AIKI UNNIE IS?!”

“WHY IS AIKI UNNIE IMPORTANT NOW?!”

“SHE DATED ROZALIN!”

“WHY ARE WE ARGUING AGAIN?!”

The 5 girls argued while making their way into the lecture hall. It was pure madness. The other three girls were just protective of their two friends.

-

Kay was having lunch with Odd and Rageon. They were having their dance classes and decided to eat together before heading home.  But Kay was unusually quiet and Rageon nudged Odd. The latter looked up.

“Kay?”

“Hm?”

“You okay?”

“Uh, yeah.”

“Is this about Lee Jung?”

“She saw Aiki Unnie with a girl.”

“Ah, Rozalin.”

“So, you girls know she was on a date?! AND YOU NEVER TELL ME?!”

“We only found out yesterday. Aiki Unnie came home looking so forlorn. Then she said something like she saw Lee Jung with another girl.”

“Yeah, she was with Noze Unnie.”

“NOZE?!”

Odd sat up instantly.  Rageon hit her back.

“Why are you so excited?!”

“NOZE! MY IDOL!”

Kay rolled her eyes before pulling Odd down.  She wanted to ask many questions, but she was not too sure if she was allowed to. Or whether Lee Jung would be mad if she did. But Odd knew it well.

“You want to ask something?”

“Yeah, did Aiki Unnie say anything?”

“She didn’t say much but she was upset.”

“Because Lee Jung is with another girl?”

“I’m not sure.  We didn’t ask her. But I guess that might be partly the reason why she was in a foul mood last night.”

“What is she playing? She was the one who broke up with my Unnie.”

The other two girls shrugged their shoulders. They couldn’t understand their leader as well. But somehow Kay decided to skip the whole conversation.

“Oh well, let’s just keep a look out. I don’t want my Unnie to be heartbroken again.”

“But I’m already heartbroken.”

Odd suddenly declared.

“Noze Unnie asked you a question before. You chose to run away.”

“HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO TALK TO MY IDOL?!”

“Then don’t you dare say you’re heartbroken! You were the one who cowardly ran off when she tried to talk to you!”

“I HATE YOU!”

Kay just looked on with Rageon and Odd arguing with each other.  She rolled her eyes at their dumb moments.

-

“So, you were with Lee Jung yesterday.”

Yeojin finally had some time alone with Noze. They were attending a different class from the other three girls. Noze nodded but her eyes still glued to her notes.

“And you spent the night together.”

“She cried her heart out and fell ill. I took her to a doctor, and she fell asleep after taking her medicine. I have no idea where she lives so I took to her to the hotel to rest. Who knows, this woman slept like a log, and she wouldn’t budge no matter how hard I tried.”

Yeojin was already grinning away. Noze rolled her eyes.

“Nothing in between?”

“What do you think should happen?”

“Two women in a hotel room?”

“We just fell asleep, that’s it.”

“Okay, I believe you.”

“Unnie, you will never believe me.”

Yeojin laughed. She trusts Noze but she couldn’t help it. She loves to tease the younger girl because she’s adorable when she’s mad.

“But what was that just now?”

“Hm?”

“She protected you against Rozalin.”

“That, I’m not sure.  I wanted to know too.”

“You like her?”

Noze narrowed her eyes together.

“It’s too early to say.”

“Well, get to know her. If it’s Lee Jung, I approve.”

Noze just shook her head. She was not ready for another relationship, but Lee Jung’s words baffled her earlier on. She still wondered what Lee Jung meant by that.

-

Hyejin left earlier, leaving Wheein and Lee Jung alone in the dorm. They had finished their class and headed back to their room. Lee Jung wanted to rest for a bit but of course, Wheein was clinging on her. Lee Jung knew what her best friend wanted.

“Yes, I spent the night with Noze unnie but we just slept.”

“I did not ask anything.”

“You’re being clingy.”

“Oh, are you feeling guilty?”

“Well, you’re my best friend, no point hiding anything from you.”

Wheein smiled widely before pulling Lee Jung towards her. She hugged the girl tightly.

“So, Noze helped you?”

Lee Jung nodded.

“You saw Aiki Unnie with another girl?”

“Yeah, with Noze Unnie’s ex.”

“But why did you run away? You broke up with her like months ago.”

“I don’t know. I was just stunned to find her there. Suddenly, there was a sharp pain in my heart and all the bad memories came flooding into my mind. I never thought seeing her again could trigger so many emotions in me.”

“So, you just ran off, pulling Noze with you?”

“Actually, I didn’t but Noze Unnie managed to reach out for my hand, but I couldn’t stand being with Aiki Unnie, so I just dragged her along with me.”

Wheein smiled as she nodded her head. She was thankful for Noze’s presence.  Lee Jung was staring ahead, as she remembers Noze’s words to her.

“Noze Unnie was hurting too when her ex left her.”

She suddenly spoke up.

“Earlier on, she tried so hard not to be swayed by Rozalin’s words. I could literally feel her hands shaking; trying to control her tears.”

“And how does it feel for you?”

“Heartache.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, I just feel like it’s unfair that she must endure the pain again since they have broken up way before I did. I just felt like I should protect Noze Unnie.”

“Protective, huh?”

“It’s too early for us to say anything. We both are still hurting and slowly trying to heal our hearts. But along the line earlier on, I thought there must be reason why we kept seeing each other coincidentally. And I feel extremely comfortable being with her.”

“Well, you both can heal together.”

“That’s what she said!”

Wheein laughed.  Lee Jung was exclaiming excitedly.

“WHAT?!”

“Why are you so excited?”

“No, I’m not!”

“Shut up, you’re hyperventilating again.”

“Go away!”

“LEE JUNG AH, YOUR FACE IS SO RED!”

“AHHHHHHH!”

Lee Jung ran off immediately. Wheein was laughing away. Her best friend is just the cutest. She could sense that Lee Jung likes Noze but she has not explore her feelings yet. But she could only hope for the best. She is not going to push her best friend with her feelings.

She grabbed her phone and left the room, to look for the shy kid. Lee Jung must have run to the cafeteria again. She made her way to the cafeteria and then suddenly her phone rang. She answered immediately without looking at the id-caller.

“JUNG WHEEIN!”

She stopped in her tracks. That came from a familiar voice. She took a quick glance and was surprised to find Kim Yongsun’s name as the id-caller.

What does this woman want again?!

“Yes?”

She answered carefully.

“Why? Are you surprised to see my name on your phone?”

“What the. How could you know?!”

Yongsun chuckled softly, leaving Wheein infuriated. This woman likes to play games with her.

“Why are you laughing like that?!”

“Why are you panicking?”

“You’re so creepy!”

“Just look behind you.”

Wheein turned quickly to find Yongsun walking towards her. She was wearing casually, in her sweatshirt and jeans. She looks like another student in campus.

“What the.”

Yongsun appeared in front of her.

“HELLO!”

Wheein couldn’t believe it. Yongsun really came to school, looking for her.

-

Kim Yongsun grinned widely as she drove her car into Wheein’s campus. She purposely took leave today, much to Irene’s surprise. She never took leave before.

“WHO ARE YOU?!”

“What?”

“You took leave?”

“Yes?”

“FOR WHAT?!”

“I need a break too.”

“You’re dating!”

“I’m not! Not yet.”

“YA!”

“BYEEE!”

Yongsun left the office immediately. She took 2 days leave. She ran past her office and out of the building. Her phone beeped. She grimaced.

“KIM YONGSUN! YOU BETTER TELL ME WHEN YOU COME BACK!”

Irene texted her. Her ex-girlfriend would never leave her alone from now own. But Yongsun misses Wheein. She wanted to see her.

They had dinner at the convenience store. She drove her back to the dorm and they had a long talk, well it was mostly Yongsun doing the talking.

“Do you always talk a lot?”

Wheein finally snapped. But it was adorable for Yongsun. Yongsun’s heart kept beating rapidly.

“Well, only to pretty girls.”

“Flirting doesn’t work with me.”

“I’m just being honest.”

“Fine.”

“Oh come on, don’t you talk a lot too?”

“With people I’m close with.”

“That’s why. I’m going through that process to make you feel closer with me.”

“You’re a workaholic. You seem to have this aura in the office and everyone sees you as Boss. Do they know this chatty side of you?”

“I’ll only talk a lot to people I’m close with.”

“Are you by any chance, like me?”

“Wow, you can see that?”

“It’s obvious.”

“Yes, I like you.”

Wheein’s eyes grew larger.

“I have always taken an interest in you since you fell on top of me.”

“Can you just forget that part of the history?”

“No?”

“It’s embarrassing.”

“Not to me.”

“YA!”

“It’s an honest mistake. I was a fool for sitting like boulder in the middle of nowhere.”

“That’s true to a certain extent. Which idiot sits in the middle of the walkway like that?

“Apparently, I am.”

Wheein finally giggled. It sounds like sweet music to Yongsun’s ears.

“Well, luckily you’re a pretty idiot.”

Wheein made a remark that got Yongsun crazy.

“Pretty idiot?”

“Aren’t you?”

“If you say so.”

Wheein smiled. And that made Yongsun’s heart fluttered. Everything about Wheein was just amazing. No girl had made Yongsun’s heart weak like that. Not even Irene. There was something Wheein that made Yongsun wants her.

Kim Yongsun really wants her badly.

-

Yongsun reached Wheein’s campus. She was wearing her jeans and sweatshirt. In fact, she was wearing her Alumnus sweatshirt. She was from this university too.

She walked around confidently, and she knew where Wheein would be. She sent her back that night. True enough, she spotted the girl in question heading towards the cafeteria. She decided to call her.

She was going to tease the poor girl again. And true enough, Wheein’s surprised demeanour tickled her. She jumped on Wheein instead.

“What are you doing here again?!”

“I just wanted to see you.”

“In my campus?!”

“Then where else?”

“Why aren’t you at work?!”

“I took leave.”

“Why?”

“To see you!”

“You took leave just to see me?”

“Yeah, I told you. I want to see you.”

“You’re creeping me out.”

Wheein turned and walked away; Yongsun was following her. The pair just walked side by side; occasionally Wheein would push Yongsun aside when the teasing got weird.

“Stop teasing me!”

“Hehe!”

“Stop giggling like that!”

“Why are you so adorable?”

“You took leave just to annoy me.”

“You’re enjoying the attention.”

Wheein rolled her eyes before she spotted Lee Jung. She ran after the girl; Yongsun followed behind her. Wheein jumped on Lee Jung.

“AH!”

“WHY DID YOU RUN AWAY?!”

“YOU ALMOST CHOKE ME!”

Lee Jung suddenly spotted a new person behind Wheein. The woman was staring at her. Wheein followed her eyes and suddenly remembered Kim Yongsun.

“Oh, Miss Kim, meet my best friend, Lee Jung. Lee Jung, this is Miss Kim, my mom’s business partner.”

“Ah, hello!”

“Hi!”

“Come, sit.”

Lee Jung invited the new person to join them, Wheein sat next to Yongsun. Lee Jung was happily eating her food while Yongsun watched Wheein smacking Lee Jung’s forehead every now and then.

“OW!”

“I’ll smack you harder if you run away again.”

“You were teasing me!”

“I did not!”

“That’s interesting. She loves to tease people, but she doesn’t like people teasing her.”

Lee Jung turned to Yongsun before turning her attention back to Wheein.

“She’s weird like that.”

“Shut up!”

“Really? Is there anything I should know more about Jung Wheein?”

“There’s nothing much about me.”

“Jung Wheein loves women. She loves matured woman. In fact, she likes women like you.”

“LEE JUNG, SHUT UP!”

“Oh, that’s new.”

“DON’T LISTEN TO HER!”

“Are you interested in Jung Wheein?”

Lee Jung finally understood the relationship between this woman and Wheein. But Wheein already grabbed Lee Jung in a chokehold.

“OW! OW!”

“SHUT UP!”

“Ya, you’re going to kill your friend like that!”

“I cannot bweathe!”

“Stop talking then!”

“I’m not even talking now! I’m just dying!”

“YA, JUNG WHEEIN! LET HER GO!”

Yongsun pulled Wheein away; but she looked on with a smile when Lee Jung finally broke free. She ran off again, leaving Wheein chasing after her around the cafeteria.  Yongsun could come aboard with this Wheein.

The way her face changed to a shy, flushing red cheeks girl the moment her friend exposed her; the way she tried to “kill” her friend for letting out her secret and the way she turned to look at Yongsun with her shock-shelled face.

She knew Wheein would be hers one day. It would just take time for her to accept Yongsun’s feelings.

“Jung Wheein, I’m going to make you mine one day.”

-