Chapter 6

That Kind Of Love

Yongsun returned to the campus again.  She parked her car and waited inside. Wheein has agreed to go out with her. She was persistent yesterday.

“Just go out with me for one day.”

“Are you even serious?”

“Serious. I’ve never been serious in my whole life.”

“And you’re the CEO of a fashion empire?”

“Okay, I mean besides business. I usually don’t date people so easily.”

“But why me?”

“I just find you cute and adorable. You just caught my attention just like that.”

Yongsun snapped her fingers. Wheein rolled her eyes.

“Ah, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

Yongsun was being clingy again. Well, Wheein likes the side of Yongsun. She’s the cutest when she shows her agyeo. She has never seen someone like Yongsun.

“Where are we going?”

“I don’t know. Your choice.”

“Can I bring my friends along?”

“That’s not a date!”

“I mean, I promise my friends that we will be going for camping this weekend.  I can’t back out now.”

“Oh, is that so? Are you inviting me along?!”

“Well, you said it’s not a date.”

“I’M IN! I CAN DRIVE!”

Wheein chuckled softly. Yongsun was raising both hands, offering herself as a driver. The girls intended to take the bus, but Yongsun was too cute to be ignored.

“Let me ask my friends first, then I get back to you.”

“What if they say no?”

“Well, they might not consider how much they love to tease me.”

“They can be my best friends!”

Wheein rolled her eyes.

-

True to Wheein’s words, her friends agreed.  Wheein invited Yeojin, Hyejin, Lee Jung and Noze. They looked at each other when Wheein mentioned Yongsun.

“Who is she related to you?”

“Someone who is possibly interested in me.”

“WOO HOOO!”

“YA, JUNG WHEEIN! HOW COULD YOU NOT TELL ME?!”

“We’re not together yet. I’m still getting to know her. I just thought maybe you girls can help me to see whether I should pursue this relationship.”

“So you want us to be your spy?”

“Yes, kinda of. I just want to be sure that she’s the one for me. She’s older than us and she’s not really my type, you know.”

“How is she not your type?”

“She wears business attire, looking all matured. Having beautiful abs and she’s always prim and proper. Just look at me. Can you see my bucket hat?”

“Well, I’m pretty sure she’s fine with it.”

Hyejin pipped in after Yeojin’s bombard of questions. Lee Jung looked on while Noze listened attentively. Both understood why Wheein hesitated. This is about love. It was something that needed more thinking. It was not always an easy decision to make.

They then turned to look at each other. Noze and Lee Jung were facing off. Something triggered in their minds. Both were thinking of the same thing.  Lee Jung suddenly found Noze pretty and Noze’s cheeks slightly blushed when her eyes found Lee Jung’s.

“You two! You’re not off the track either! How could you two not tell us that you have feelings for each other?!”

Yeojin noticed the two girls have been watching and smiling at each other. Noze quickly turned away while Lee Jung coughed incessantly.

“Yeah! Don’t act innocent! We will deal with Wheein first then you two!”

“Must we do that?!”

Wheein was rolling her eyes when the Siamese twins smiled creepily.  The girls dragged their camping equipment and bags before making their way to the carpark. Yongsun was waiting in the car. She immediately got out and ran towards Wheein once she spotted her probably arguing with her friends.

“Wheein!”

Wheein looked up; the rest of the girls followed through. The four Siamese kittens were grinning away, leaving Wheein red in the cheeks.

“Stop that!”

She hissed.

“What?”

“Stop grinning like a Cheshire cat!”

“She’s rich!”

“She’s pretty!”

“She’s a hot Mama!”

“She’s cute.”

All four echoed one after another. Wheein managed to smack each of their foreheads before she turned to smile gleefully at Yongsun.

“You don’t have to do that. I know how excited you can get for camp.”

“Well, in addition, you’re their source of entertainment and my wrath of embarrassment.”

“Aww, Wheein’s jealous!”

“Shut up, Hyejin!”

Yongsun smiled before she leaned in to give Wheein a hug while shaking hands with the rest of the girls. They introduced themselves and before long, they warmed up to Yongsun quickly.

They hit the road and Yongsun’s car was big enough to accommodate the four girls and their camping equipment. Well, they made Noze sat on Lee Jung’s lap.

“Why am I sitting on Lee Jung’s lap?”

“You’re the skinniest.”

“And Lee Jung doesn’t mind either.”

Yeojin and Hyejin were having so much teasing their friends. Lee Jung rolled her eyes but kept her hands around Noze’s waist, terrified that she might flung forward or something. Noze, on the other hand, placed her hands above Lee Jung’s; her cheeks were flushing red.

“Are you okay?”

Wheein saw Noze’s face.

“Yeah, I’m just worried I might be too heavy for Lee Jung.”

“Nah, you’re just nice.”

Lee Jung bit her tongue when she realised, she might have said something wrong. Yeojin smiled widely while Noze gently swept Lee Jung’s lose hair behind her ears.

Yongsun looked on and finally understood the relationship between Noze and Lee Jung. They were in the process of knowing each other, just like her and Wheein.

“So, tell me. Who are you close with?”

“All of them, well Noze is new to the group but I think we can be best friends.”

“New to the group?”

“She’ll be one of us once she becomes Lee Jung’s girlfriend!”

Hyejin’s reply earned her a smack on her forehead and back. Lee Jung and Noze retaliated quickly.

“YA!”

“You don’t have to say it out loud!”

“So, both of you are in the process of knowing each other?”

Yongsun decided to probe further. The two girls nodded, then immediately blushed when they realised, they share the same sentiments.

“That’s nice.  It’s okay to take your time to get to know one another. I mean, we are always cautious about things like these. Your friends are just annoyingly cute but they mean well.”

Noze nodded while Lee Jung understood Yongsun’s words instantly. She pulled Noze closer and hugged her tightly.

“I’m serious about her. But we both have been nursing our broken hearts. I just want to make sure that this time, we will not get hurt again.”

Noze looked at Lee Jung, her heart skipped many beats.

“I feel the same way. It’s crazy about how I feel about her now but I would like to take it slow.”

Yeojin smiled widely while Hyejin nodded subconsciously. They agreed with the two girls. The girls reached their destination and Hyejin was the first to run out. She had to find the perfect place for their camping site while Lee Jung and Noze helped with the equipment. Yeojin carried the stuffs towards where Hyejin stood and immediately set up the tent.

Wheein was left behind with Yongsun; they took the girls’ bags and food items. Yongsun bought a trolley so that they could easily move the things for one place to another. The pair walked side by side while the other couple had already left them behind.

“Lee Jung and Noze look so cute together.”

“Yeah, I just realized it too.”

Yongsun gently pushed Wheein forward so that she could walk behind her. Wheein looked over her shoulder; the older woman smiled at her widely.

“Are the things heavy?”

“I’m pushing the trolley; it should be fine.”

“Let me know if you need help.”

“I will.”

They finally reached the site. Yeojin and Hyejin were busily fixing the tents while the other couple arranged the fireplace and also portable chairs for them to sit. Yongsun lent a hand with the tent makers while Wheein took out food to prepare for the BBQ.

All were busy with something and half an hour later, the girls managed to set up everything beautifully. Noze managed to set fire ablaze with the charcoal, much to her astonishment.

“Noze makes fire?”

“By luck.”

“She’s so smart.”

“Lee Jung, I’ll hammer you to the ground, trust me.”

“Unnie! SO mean!”

“Our boyfriends are not here so don’t make us jealous!”

“Hyejin unnie can be your part time.”

“Don’t drag me in. I only have eyes for Noze.”

“She’s out of bounds!”

“She’s the prettiest among you.”

“She’s mine!”

“Wow, possessive much. You’re not her girlfriend, yet!”

Lee Jung put her arms around Noze’s waist protectively. Noze chuckled softly before cupping Lee Jung’s cheeks gently.

“I only have eyes for you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, we may not be official but you can consider me as yours.”

“That’s really bold but I like it. Trust me, I’ll set things right and I’ll ask you out officially. But in the meantime, you’re exclusively mine and I’m only yours.”

Yeojin and Hyejin dropped their jaws while Yongsun was envious at how smooth Lee Jung could be. Wheein’s eyes were widen. She never knew Lee Jung could be this bold.

“LEE LEE JUNG! WHAT ARE YOU?!”

“DID SHE JUST CONFESS TO NOZE LIKE THAT?!”

“Wow, I suddenly find Lee Jung’s attractive!”

“Ahem. She’s mine too. So, she’s out of bounds.”

“NOH JIHYE! WHERE IS YOUR SHYNESS?! WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY NOZE?!”

Lee Jung pulled Noze closer to her and stuck her tongue out while Yeojin and Hyejin went ballistic at the couple’s boldness. It was true madness and Yongsun just continued whatever she was doing. She was not going to be involved in their cute fight.

The girls were just insane.

-

Wheein decided to head out to grab a pail of water just in case. She left with Yongsun, leaving her crazy friends behind. Well, Yeojin took the pail and passed it to Yongsun.

“Yongsun unnie, can you follow Wheein?”

“Ya~”

“We’re quite busy now. Is that okay?”

“I can go myself!”

Wheein protested but Yongsun had already reached out for the pail and assured Yeojin that Wheein would be in good hands. So, the pair walked away from their campsite, side by side. There was not much talking, Yongsun was paying attention to her surroundings since the path was rather dark and creepy.

“Are you scared?”

Wheein suddenly spoke up.

“Nah, but it’s good to keep alert.”

“I could have gone myself.”

“No way, in this darkness?! I’m not leaving you alone at your own risk.”

“I have been here so many times before.”

“Not anymore. Not under my watch.”

Yongsun subconsciously reached out for Wheein’s hand and gripped tightly. Wheein felt something tingling in her heart. It was a warmth feeling that seeped through her veins; a shy smile curled at the corner of her lips.  Yongsun’s hand was so warm; the spaces between her fingers just fit perfectly with hers. She turned to look at the older woman.

Yongsun’s eyes wandered around, looking out for any possible dangers. She was so protective of Wheein when they heard a howling sound; Yongsun immediately stood in front of Wheein and pulled her closer towards her back.

“Walk behind me.”

Yongsun whispered.

“There’s nothing around here.”

“Well, I still want to protect you.”

Wheein’s heart exploded with sweetness.

-

Noze and Lee Jung were left alone to barbeque the food. The two other girls left to grab something from the convenience store located at the next street. They sat facing each other; with Lee Jung busily handling the food while Noze kept ensuring that the fire was kept going on.

Their eyes met and then they smiled. Lee Jung’s heart felt so light ever since the sudden brash of confession between them earlier on. She had no idea why she got so brave to express her feelings for Noze. She unknowingly smiled like an idiot.

“Why are you smiling like that?”

“Huh?”

“Are you thinking of something?”

“Yeah, you.”

Noze immediately blushed before she hit on Lee Jung’s arm lightly. The older woman scooted closer towards Lee Jung before she reached out for her arms. She squeezed gently.

“You’re making me feel many things.”

Noze carefully confessed.

“Hm?”

“You make me feel like I’m the only girl in your world.”

“You are, now.”

“Are we going to pursue this relationship?”

“I want to. Do you?”

“Aren’t you afraid?”

Noze whispered. She knew about Lee Jung’s fear for love because of her bad experience with a certain someone.

“I’m still afraid but I still want to hold your hand and take you in my arms. I want to be the one who can make you smile and walk you home after school. Tell me, what do you want to do with me?”

Noze smiled widely before she leaned closer and gave Lee Jung a soft peck on her lips. The younger woman was taken aback but her face was flushing red.

“I want to kiss you.”

“My oh my, you’re bolder than I thought.”

“I’m shy.”

“No, this is not shy!”

“Well, I have set my eyes on you. When I love someone, my focus is only on that one person.”

“Love? You love me?”

“I like you. A lot, apparently. Hopefully, it will turn into love. And eventually, we can just be together forever.”

“That’s a plan. Let’s do that!”

“Let’s go on a date soon.”

Lee Jung nodded profusely.

“I’d love that.”

“We’ll take it slow. Let’s not jump into this so quickly.”

“Yes, Jihye unnie. Let’s do that.”

Lee Jung quickly pulled Noze closer and kissed her tenderly. The feeling was perfect and even better than anything else.

-

Yongsun had a hard time dragging the pail of water, she refused to allow Wheein to help her. Wheein rolled her eyes before grabbing the pail right from Yongsun’s hand.

“Let me.”

“No, I can do this.”

“I’m used to carry this. You looked like you might topple and fall over. See, your arms are so red now.”

Yongsun finally relented. She put the pail down and started hitting her arms with her fist. Her right sleeve was slightly pulled up and Wheein saw a long scar from her forearm till top shoulder. She grabbed Yongsun’s right arm.

“What’s this?”

“I hurt my arm before.”

“What? When was this?”

“It happened few years ago.”

“Are you even allowed to carry heavy stuff?”

Yongsun stuck her tongue out.

“YA!”

“I just wanted to help you.”

“If you cannot help, then don’t. What if you injure it again?”

“It has been useless for quite some time. But surprisingly I was able to carry it for quite a distance.”

Wheein frowned. She pulled Yongsun away and took the pail in her tiny hands. She looked over her shoulder, Yongsun was still trying to get rid of the sore on her injured arm. Wheein sighed before she softly called out to her.

“Let’s hurry back. I’ll help to massage your arm later.”

“Huh?”

“Don’t argue with me. Now, hurry up. It’s getting too dark.”

Wheein walked ahead while Yongsun blinked her eyes a couple of times. Then she smiled widely. Wheein was worried for her. That was something new.

“Hurry up and stop dreaming! It’s not getting lighter!”

“Let me help you.”

“Don’t bother. Just get your here and move faster!”

Yongsun immediately ran behind Wheein.

-

The girls finally settled down and ate their meal for the first night. They were famished so basically; the food was gobbled down immediately. Wheein was still keeping an eye on Yongsun’s injured arm. She noticed Yongsun kept wincing each time she moved her right arm. Hyejin and Yeojin were resting in their tent while the other couple was sitting next to the fire. They were linking arms while staring at stars spread across the night sky.

Yongsun was wincing in pain when she tried to lift her right arm. Wheein saw her expression.

“Get over here.”

She called out to Yongsun. The older woman made her way and sat across Wheein. Wheein looked at her before she shook her head. She then lifted Yongsun’s right arm and tenderly pressed along the muscles. Yongsun jerked.

“It hurt that bad?”

“I think I might have overexerted myself.”

“Next time, please don’t act hero.”

“Are you mad at me?”

“No? I just don’t want you to worsen your condition. You’re a woman. You must look after yourself.”

Wheein then pulled out an ointment rub from her bag and started spreading it evenly along Yongsun’s arm. She then gently massaged; while Yongsun looked on. Wheein saw the scar running from her forearm to the tip of her shoulder.

“What happened?”

Wheein whispered softly.

“I was a swimmer. I should have been representing the national team, but I got into an accident and it completely destroyed my dream. That was the only childhood ambition I had but it was destroyed overnight over an accident.”

“What type of accident?”

“A car accident.”

“You must have been devastated.”

“I was but I guess it happened for a reason. My grandfather decided to take me under his wings and trained me to be a CEO since I was a teenager. It was not my ambition and I hate office politics, but I didn’t have much choice left.”

“How about now? Do you have any other dreams?”

“I’m a CEO now. I’m filthy rich and I have the best of everything. But I’m still unhappy.”

“Why?”

Yongsun looked away; tears pooled at the corner of her eyes. But Wheein could see how badly Yongsun held back her tears. She smiled bitterly instead.

“I lost my parents in the car accident.”

Yongsun said in a whisper. Wheein immediately looked up; her hands ceased movements.

“Some drunk man lost control of his truck and smashed against the opposite direction. He singlehandedly killed 3 families including mine for his reckless behaviour.”

Yongsun paused for a second.

“My mom was holding me in her arms, protecting me. It was because of her embrace; my injuries were not as bad as theirs. My mom died on the way to the hospital while my father died on the spot. I became an orphan overnight.”

“You don’t have any siblings?”

Yongsun shook her head.

“I have two best friends. I dated one of them before, but we decided to let it be and she became my best friend instead.”

Yongsun carefully started her story. Yongsun shared her life story as Wheein listened attentively. Her heart was aching to learn how much Yongsun was forced to grow up so that she could take over her late father’s business. She subconsciously reached out for Yongsun’s cheeks. She cupped them gently.

“You’re an amazing woman.”

“Really?”

“It must have been tough growing up, but you made it.”

“Well, I was forced to grow up quickly out of sudden. I didn’t have many friends and my father’s family hate me.”

“Why?”

“IF not for me, my dad wouldn’t drive in the rain and along that busy highway. They blamed me for dragging my dad out for a supper. I was being a brat and threw tantrums at my father. I wanted to eat supper, but nobody could go out with me. So, I pestered my parents to go out with me in the heavy downpour. I was really an .”

“But you were young.”

Yongsun shrugged.

“I grew up and took responsible of my parents’ death. I promised my grandfather that I would do well in the business.”

“And you did.”

Yongsun smiled softly.

“I grow up believing that I don’t deserve love. I dated this girl for so many years but ended up breaking her heart and she left me for someone better. I let her go because I knew I could never give her the best of everything.”

“What makes you think you can’t?”

“I’m just someone who will lose my loved ones and I don’t wish to hurt anyone else.”

“Then, why do you like me if you think you cannot love?”

Yongsun looked up and gave a gentle gaze. She sighed.

“I’m not sure if I could love you. But you just caught my attention, and my heart is just so wrapped up around you. I just wanted to stay with you. I just wanted to be next to you. I don’t know what it is about you, but you make me feel safe.”

She pulled Wheein closer and wrapped her arms around the petite girl.

“You’re the first person in my life who could distract me from work. I can give up everything else just if I can see you and be next to you.”

Wheein was taken aback. That strong confession from Yongsun made her heart skipped a beat. And she just wanted to protect the older woman from pain once and for all.

-

Noze and Lee Jung had cleared up the BBQ area. They managed to wash up and the last group to settle down in their tent. The rest of the girls were busy in their own accommodation. They settled down in the tent. Lee Jung gathered her sweatshirt and made into a bundle.

“Are you cold?”

Noze asked as she looked on, watching Lee Jung busy with her sweatshirt.

“No, this is for you.”

“But I’m already wearing one.”

“As a pillow.”

Noze chuckled softly. She reached out for Lee Jung’s hands and gripped tightly. She then pulled Lee Jung and laid her down next to her. She then rests her head on Lee Jung’s arm.

“Isn’t this better?”

“Oh, I’m seriously changing my opinion of you.”

“Why?”

“You were often so shy and so reserved.”

“That’s because I’m usually cold towards people I hardly know.”

“So, I belong to a different group now?”

“Well, you’re my girlfriend, right?”

Lee Jung’s cheeks blushed instantly. She wasn’t prepared for this straightforward Noze. Not that she disliked it, but she found her charming and extremely attractive with her honesty.

“I’m seriously falling faster and harder now.”

Noze giggled but her gaze remained on Lee Jung. They removed their makeup and suddenly Lee Jung looked so much like a baby. Noze wanted to cuddle with Lee Jung all night. Lee Jung’s eye smiles were too much for her to handle.

Meanwhile Lee Jung cupped Noze’s left cheek gently and caressed her thumb, admiring the older girl’s beauty and her warm smile. She was completely lost in blissfulness and all she wanted was to hold Noze in her arms and never letting go.

They just ended up staring at each other; smiling; giggling and whispering softly.

“We will make this work.”

Lee Jung was sincere.

“Let’s take our time and heal together. Then after that, let’s just free fall into each other.”

“I’d love that.”

Noze pulled her closer and they fell asleep in each other’s arms.

-