Chapter 7

That Kind Of Love

Wheein squinted her eyes as the sunlight blinded her for a second. She tried to outstretch her arms but suddenly realised she was trapped in an embrace. Her eyes grew larger and immediately turned just to find Yongsun protectively wrapping her arms around her.

Wheein’s gaze softened as she watched Yongsun’s breathing softly; the older woman pulled Wheein closer. Wheein smiled as she gently caressing Yongsun’s cheeks with the back of her hand. The older woman shifted in her sleep as she opened her eyes slowly.

She was confused at first but when she finally managed to register the familiar face in front of her, she smiled widely.

“Good morning.”

Her husky, crisp morning voice melted Wheein’s heart.

“Are you feeling better today?”

Wheein immediately pulled Yongsun’s arm and massaged it gently.

“I was sleeping on it all the time.”

“You’re not that heavy. It’s comforting enough.”

“If it hurts, you have to inform me.”

Yongsun shook her head as she smiled widely. She cupped Wheein’s cheeks before caressed with her thumb.  Wheein’s smile was enough to brighten up Yongsun’s smile.

“You’re so beautiful.”

Yongsun whispered.

“Really?”

Wheein chuckled softly.

“Nobody has ever told you that?”

“Well, many did. But I’m more like a tomboy.”

“That’s why you’re beautiful. You’re different.”

“Are you trying to butter me up?”

“Is it working?”

Wheein gently hit Yongsun in the chest. The older woman yelped but pulling the smaller girl closer. She hugged Wheein tightly.

“I’ll wait for you.”

“Hm?”

“I’ll wait for you until you’re ready to be with me.”

Wheein nodded.

-

Noze and Lee Jung were entangled underneath the blanket; embracing each other tightly. Hyejin barged into the tent with Yeojin.  Lee Jung immediately sat up, protecting Noze from the sudden intrusion.

“What? What?”

“Wake up! It’s almost 9am!”

Yeojin gave Lee Jung a sly smirk. Noze was still confused as she sat up, rubbing the sleepiness from her eyes. She was stunned to find two Siamese cats smiling gleefully at her. She rolled her eyes; agitated with the sudden intrusion.

“Oh my god, Yeojin Unnie!”

“Get up, sleepy head. We have a lot of things to do today.”

“Arasso.”

“Stop hugging each other, for God sake! You’re making me miss my boyfriend!”

The couple stuck their tongues out before chasing the two nosy troublemakers out of the tent. They just shook their heads when the other two women proceeded to attack the other sleeping couple.  Lee Jung looked at her before giving a soft peck on Noze’s forehead.

“Good morning.”

“Morning.”

“You had a good sleep?”

“Yeah, first time in many months.”

“Me too. I usually would have nightmares but not last night.”

Noze leaned closer and kissed Lee Jung softly on her lips.  Lee Jung felt light-headed with the kiss; grinned widely from ear to ear. Everything she used to fear about love and relationship dissipated the moment Noze kissed her.

She never dreamt of falling in love again when she thought she could only love one woman in her lifetime. She had her fair share of dating guys but when Aiki came into her life with no warning; Lee Jung helplessly fell in love. Aiki has all the traits that she likes in a partner. She’s loving, kind and perfect – Lee Jung couldn’t find such person in her life. It was always bits and pieces here and there.

But Aiki has a mind of her own.  She, too, was experimental with Lee Jung. She was married and somehow on the verge of separation with her estranged husband. She has a daughter too. Lee Jung adores the little girl and has always been inseparable with her. However, recently, the little girl has been questioning her parents; why they are living separately.

That was why Aiki decided to have second thoughts. She loves her daughter more than her own life; probably more than she ever loved Lee Jung. She wanted to try it again. Try to salvage her marriage with her husband and live together as a family for the sake of her precious daughter. So, they broke up.

Suddenly all the promises Aiki made broke into pieces, and it got Lee Jung at some bad places. Love is painful after all. But this was the first time she had fallen in love with a woman. It was a totally new experience, and she was alarmed at how difficult it was for her to move on.

That mere seconds of Aiki’s memory got Lee Jung to tear up. The tears pooled at the corner of her eyes, and she felt the pain seeping through her heart and slowly burning her skin. That excruciating pain ate her soul and Lee Jung shook because it was just too much for her to handle.

“Hold me.”

A soft whisper could be heard. Lee Jung ducked her head down slowly before someone lifted her up.

“Hug me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be. Just hold me if you need support.”

“I promise I’ll erase her from my heart.”

Noze shook her head and smiled softly.  She cupped Lee Jung’s cheeks affectionately. Her smile was warm enough to propel any evil in one person’s mind.

“Just remember that I’m always here for you to hold. I’ll embrace you. If it gets too painful, come to me. Let me comfort you.”

Lee Jung just pulled Noze closer and tightly held in her embrace. She needed someone like Noze. She wants to fall in love with her someone again.

-

Yongsun, Noze and Yeojin were preparing breakfast. Yeojin made scrambled eggs, Noze was grilling some sausages and Yongsun made some kimchi jiggae.  Lee Jung was making coffee and got the plates and table ready. Hyejin and Wheein were together, heading to the water spout again. They had to refill the water for their whole day activity.

The pair walked together, hand in hand. Wheein was smiling most of the time and Hyejin kept staring at her. She knew that smile. Her best friend’s smile had been missing for the longest time since her last girlfriend.

“Something good is happening soon?”

Hyejin had to ask; she was too curious.

“We’re taking slow.”

“Oh, so you know what I wanted to know?”

“We have been best friends since young. How can I not know that look on your face?”

Hyejin grinned before pulling Wheein closer and hugging her best friend tightly.

“I really want to see you happy, Wheein. Being in love and just be happy with whoever you chose to be with.”

“I want to be with her, Hyejin ah. I really do but when I see my two moms having so many problems in their lives, I don’t have the confidence that I can be nice to my partner.”

“Don’t let your moms’ relationship dictate yours. I could see how attentive Yongsun is towards you. She takes good care of you.”

“She is. But I’m afraid that I would hurt her. She has been hurt for far too long.”

Wheein proceeded to share Yongsun’s life with Hyejin. Her best friend was stunned at first and felt empathized with Yongsun.

“Then the more you should ask yourself. She wants to wait. She probably will wait for a long time just for you. If you cannot love her, then don’t be selfish and lock her in. Let her go. But you want to love her, then hold her close and protect her with all you might. She deserves more love than anything else.”

Hyejin’s words hit the soft core of Wheein’s heart. She had to agree with her best friend. She needs to love and protect Yongsun. Hyejin gently gripped Wheein’s shoulders.

“Love is complicated, but it takes two to work. It can be selfish, but it can be as beautiful too.”

Wheein nodded.

-

Yongsun was sitting at the corner of the table; waiting for Wheein and Hyejin to return. The other girls had already started their feast; the girls were too hungry.

“Unnie, do you want more sausages?”

Noze asked with a sweet smile. Yongsun winked before she leaned closer and stretched her the plate in her hand. Lee Jung was sulking away.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“I was just offering more food to Unnie. She only has 1 sausage on her plate.”

“It’s not the sausage. It’s your smile.”

“Oh boy.”

Yongsun snickered while Yeojin rolled her eyes.

“I swear to God, I’ll hammer you to the ground.”

“Her smile is seductive!”

“She has been smiling to so many people all this while and she has always been seductive!”

“NO, I’M NOT!”

Noze protested. Yongsun could only laugh when the three girls argued among themselves. They reminded her of Moonbyul and Irene. They used to argue like little girls. Or even worse than this, the food and plates might be flying around.

She smiled to her thoughts and Wheein spotted her from far. She saw Yongsun’s smile; suddenly curious of Yongsun’s thoughts.

“Go to her.”

Hyejin nudged Wheein forward.

“I can push the trolley myself.”

She stuck her tongue out as she pushed the trolley towards the noisy girls. Somehow, she joined in the fight when Yeojin asked her to back up. Wheein shook her head; her friends were so childish.  She ignored them and made her way towards Yongsun instead.

She gently tapped on Yongsun’s shoulder. The older woman looked over her shoulder and her smile grew wider.

“Hello! You’re back!”

Yongsun immediately wrapped her arms around Wheein’s waist. Wheein felt warm instantly. She caressed Yongsun’s hair gently.

“Waiting for me?”

“Yeah! I want to eat breakfast with you.”

“Hm? You have not eaten yet?”

Yongsun made a sad face and shook her head.

“The girls didn’t invite you?”

“Noze stuffed a mountain of food on my plate; she probably knows I’m going to share it with you. Can we eat now? I’m hungry!”

“Let’s eat then. Sorry for making you wait.”

Wheein sat across Yongsun; the girls finally settled down with their breakfast. They spent their time chatting and teasing one another then suddenly Wheein felt warmth on top of her hand. She glanced down and noticed Yongsun held her hand.  Wheein responded with a tight grip; the spaces between their fingers engulfed each other. Yongsun held strongly.

Both smiled as they continued eating and listening to Yeojin’s whines because Lee Jung couldn’t stop being lovey dopey with Noze. She laughed heartily when Hyejin threw a sausage across Lee Jung.

Then she caught Yongsun’s facial expression.  The older woman moved her lips; Wheein’s face flushed.

She was mouthing something.

You’re so beautiful. I want you.

-

Rozalin couldn’t concentrate on her dance class. She stopped teaching and gave them a 15 min break which was longer than usual. Her assistant scrunched her eyebrow together.

“What’s happening?”

“Huh? Why?”

“15 mins break? You sure?”

“I need a time out for a second.”

“You want me to take over?”

“You can?”

“You’re having problems concentrating anyway. You’re always so enthusiastic about choreography but today, you’re lifeless.”

“I’m unfeeling well.”

“Then go home and rest. I’ll take over.”

Her assistant patted on her back. Rozalin gathered her participants and apologised for leaving early. She then grabbed her duffel bag and left the studio immediately. Her mind was filled with that one person who has been terrorizing her since the day they last spoke.

Noh Jihye.

She has always been that beautiful. She has always been that wonderful. She has always been hers. She has been rightfully hers since the day she set eyes on Noze.  They got together and Rozalin remembered how Jihye looked.

Shy, bashful and her cheeks were wonderfully flushed – Rozalin kept teasing her.
 

-

“Stop it!”

“Wae?”

“My cheeks are so hot now!”

“It’s okay, you’re hot too.”

“ROZALIN!”

Jihye took a step back and pushed Rozalin away, but the latter grabbed her by the waist. She pulled Jihye closed and hugged tightly.”

“You’re so cute and adorable. I just cannot stop teasing you.”

Jihye rolled her eyes but leaned closer anyway. She rests her chin on Rozalin’s shoulder and Rozalin planted a soft kiss on her cheek.

“Thank you for accepting my heart.”

“I’m so in love with you. I’m happy now. I’m extremely happy now.”

Rozalin smiled softly. She pulled Jihye away and looked deep into her eyes. Then her gaze went down to her lips; Jihye was biting it. Rozalin then cupped Jihye’s cheeks with her palms before pulling Jihye closer. Jihye inched closer. Both could feel each other’s breathe against their lips; Jihye closed her eyes and Rozalin boldly put her lips on hers.

Fireworks exploded in their brains. Their hearts beat so rapidly, and Rozalin had never felt like this before. Her heart felt full. She felt like crying, because she felt so much love. Jihye’s lips were soft and tender.

“I love you.”

Jihye whispered.  Tears fell from the corner of Rozalin’s eyes. She embraced Jihye tightly in her arms; suddenly so possessive of this beautiful lady in front of her.

“I’m not letting go, Noh Jihye. I’ll never let you go.”

-

Rozalin held her beer can up in the air as she danced wildly with her friends. The atmosphere was almost steamy and . Everyone was so up close, skin to skin and almost scandalous.

She looked over her shoulder and saw her introvert girlfriend sitting all by herself at their table. She looked so bored but not long after, a lady approached Jihye with a glass of drink in her hand. Rozalin rolled her eyes, but she made no effort to stop the stranger.

“You’re not going up there?”

One of her friends, Emma saw what happened.

“Jihye will not falter.”

“But aren’t you supposed to protect her?”

“I trust my girlfriend. She’s not going to accept it.”

True enough, Jihye rejected the lady and even pointed to the dance floor. She was probably pointing to Rozalin; informing the girl that her lover was around. Rozalin smirked before raising her hand up. The lady looked apologetic and left Jihye immediately.

“Wow.”

“I told you. Jihye will not fall for such women.”

“And you’re not going to ask her to join us?”

“Jihye doesn’t like crowded areas.”

“But she loves to dance. You can dance with her.”

“Nah, she knows I prefer to dance in a group.”

“You will lose her one day if you continue to be like this. You’re so arrogant about the fact that your girlfriend will not falter but each human has limit in their patience. If you’re not going up, I’ll accompany her.”

Emma left the dance floor and sat next to Jihye. But Rozalin didn’t budge. She knew Jihye was okay with her being like this; being an extrovert and having so many friends. She didn’t bat her eyes when Emma pulled Jihye to the dance floor and danced intimately together.

“Jihye will never fall for Emma.”

Rozalin was confident like that.

-

“Jo Eun Gyu!”

Rozalin winced when Jihye screamed her full name out. She was pissed off each time someone called her by her full name; not even Jihye was spared from her wrath.

“What the hell do you want? Why did you call my full name for?!”

“I told you about this meeting today. We’re meeting my friends for dinner and then hang out together.”

“But I told you. Jihyang needs me. She has some issues. She wants to talk to me.”

Jihyang is one of Rozalin’s close friends and a mutual friend with Jihye.

“That was a last-minute request. I have informed you 2 weeks ago. You hated it when I told you about last-minute meetings or dates. And now you’re going to bail out on me?!”

“I don’t care. I rather meet up with Jihyang than your friends.”

Rozalin left their apartment; she slammed the door hard and walked off. She could hear Jihye screaming for her, but she didn’t care. However, when she met up with Jihyang, she just kept staring at her phone; probably waiting for Jihye’s calls or messages. Jihyang noticed it.

“Are you supposed to be with Jihye tonight?”

“Sort of. I promised I would have dinner with her and her friends.”

“What the hell?! Did you bail out on her again?!”

“You needed me.”

“Jihye is your girlfriend. She’s supposed to be your priority not me!”

“I rather drink and dance with you and the rest of the girls.”

“But you kept staring at your phone.”

Rozalin bit her lower lip. Yes, that’s Jo Eungyu. She would hurt her girlfriend; and then regret it after that. She knew she went overboard. But not having Jihye calling or messaging her after that fight made Rozalin jittery.

“Should I call her?”

“Yes, if you’re worried.”

“I’m not worried. She usually will call.”

“Well, sometimes patience can wear thin.”

Rozalin just stared ahead; trying to shut out her friend’s advice but she was so confident and arrogant enough to accept that Jihye would not leave her.

Unfortunately, that was the night where their very first fight broke out. Jihye has always been the patience; giving in and letting Rozalin getting her way every now and then. But for some reason, that meeting was important for Jihye. She wanted to introduce her friends to the love of her life.

Rozalin got home around 3am. She was startled to find Jihye sitting on the sofa; with her arms folded while waiting for her. She narrowed her eyes when she saw Rozalin stumbling through the front door in a drunkard stupor.

Rozalin fell over and almost hit the table edge but surprisingly, Jihye did not budge at all. She just sat there with her arms folded, looking even more crossed than ever. Rozalin had never seen this side of Jihye before.

“What happened?”

Rozalin couldn’t stand the cold silence between them although it only had been 5 mins since she stepped into the apartment.

“You bailed on me and then you came home at 3am. Are you serious?”

“You could have gone out with your friends.”

“I didn’t. I’m so embarrassed of you.”

“What?”

“They were so eager to meet you, but you had to bail on me just so that you could be with your friends.”

Rozalin rolled her eyes. Seems like Jihye was not going to give up on this matter. Rozalin suddenly became agitated. She got up abruptly and started shouting at Jihye. It was a heated argument because Jihye decided to rebel.

Everything was insane. Jihye refused to back down and Rozalin was annoyed that she couldn’t win this time. Usually, Jihye would have given in, and they would end up in bed. But not this time around, Jihye held her ground.  And Rozalin wanted to win so badly. She finally blew and then she asked for it.

This time around, Rozalin meant it. She broke up with Jihye.

“LET’S BREAK UP! I HATE YOU BEING SO WHINY!”

And she left Jihye behind, all alone in the apartment.

-

It had been 3 weeks since the breakup. They had broken up a couple of times but this time around, it had been dragged for almost one month. It was crazy. Rozalin misses Jihye like crazy, but she wouldn’t make an effort to call her, as usual.

One night, she went clubbing with her friends when she spotted Emma with Jihye. They were just chilling; drinking and had few dances but then they just sat and chatted; with Jihye smiling most of the time.

Rozalin felt irked by that. Jihye used to smile at her like that. She advanced quickly towards their table; Jihye’s smile faded the moment their eyes met.

“Enjoying yourself huh?”

The sarcasm was getting through Jihye’s wrath.

“We have broken up. I can go with anyone I like.”

“With Emma?”

“What’s wrong with Emma?”

Emma immediately reached out for Jihye’s hand and squeezed tightly. It made Rozalin even more agitated. She grabbed Jihye’s arm and tugged Emma’s hand away before proceeding to pull Jihye out of the club.

Jihye struggled as she tried to release her arm, but Rozalin held on tightly. She pulled her ex-girlfriend till quite a distance before she let go. Jihye just stood there; her eyes were extremely red. She was holding back her tears. Rozalin looked on; she knew what she had done but her ego was too strong. She stood there, staring back at Jihye.

They just stood there in silence for five minutes before Jihye spoke up.

“What do you want from me?”

Rozalin kept her silence.

“Say something. Before I lose my mind now.”

Rozalin kept mum. But instead of words, Rozalin stretched her arms out and gently wrapped them around Jihye’s waist. She leaned her forehead against Jihye’s chest. Tears fell from the corner of her eyes. She could hear the smooth rhythm of Jihye’s beating heart. She wondered if that heart is still beating with love for her. She placed her hand on Jihye’s heart.

“I’ve always love listening to the rhythm of your heart.”

Jihye sighed softly, softened by Rozalin’s words.

“I know I’m not the best girlfriend, but I love you sincerely. And I really miss you.”

Jihye’s heart softened instantly. She loves Jo Engyu like crazy. It hurt her so much when they broke up. Being apart from Rozalin made her lose appetite and sleep. Her eyebags were showing and Rozalin felt guilty for hurting her love.

“You’re my everything, Jihye. Without you, I’m nothing.”

And with that, they got back together.

-

Since then, their relationship had been on and off throughout the time they were together. Jihye willingly took Rozalin back despite anything else.  Jihye’s world revolves around Rozalin, but the latter prefers her friends. Months after months, they fought and reconciled. Jihye was too forgiving. But one day, things got worse. And they broke up for good.

Rozalin was spending the day with Jihye at her apartment. They were having a good time until someone called Rozalin. She quickly got up, changed and was about to leave the door, Jihye slammed the door in front of her.

“What are you doing?”

“What are you doing then?”

“I need to go somewhere.”

“Where?”

“Jihyang. She’s feeling unwell.”

Jihye sighed. She closed her eyes and gripped her fists tightly. She could not understand why Jihyang could just take Rozalin’s attention away from her in an instance.

“So, you’re leaving me because your best friend is sick?”

“Babe, you know how much she means to me.”

“And what do I mean to you? You did not even tell me why you’re leaving. You just changed and left me like this, looking like a fool.”

“I told you before. Jihyang is my best friend. I’ll do anything for her.”

“I’m not even mad that you’re meeting her. But I’m angry at the fact that you did not have the courtesy to tell me what happened and why you’re leaving in a haste. I took leave from my part time job just to spend time with you.”

Rozalin sighed softly. She was feeling guilty. She was the one who persuaded Jihye not to go to work since she wanted to spend time with her girlfriend. Yet, she was bailing out on her for her best friend.

But Jihye was too pissed to be rationale, to be more understanding. She just wondered what she was doing with this girl who could not put her feelings first.

“Once you step out from this apartment, then we will break up for good.”

And Rozalin had to be challenged. She rolled her eyes and agreed out of spite. They broke up that very night. Jihye just left her world for good.

-

The next few months, Rozalin spent most of her time with Jihyang. They took photos and Rozalin would purposely put up on her Instagram to irk Jihye. She knew it was a despicable move but those photos would hurt Jihye. And indeed, it hurt her ex-girlfriend.

And Jihyang had enough of Rozalin playing games with Jihye. She told her off for once.

“If you don’t love her, don’t spite her by using me.”

“I’m not using you.”

“Then stop uploading our photos together on Instagram.”

Rozalin bit her lower lip.

“I saw Jihye two nights ago. I felt so sorry for her. She did not have to go through this with you but you kept putting her on that cutting board; slicing her heart and tearing her soul apart. We had a good talk and Jihye never blamed me. You know how sorry I was towards her. You’re just using your best friend and love for your own good. To get things the way you wanted. Let me tell you, you will lose Jihye forever if you don’t stop.”

-

Rozalin was with her friends. They were on the way to the club when she spotted Jihye at her part time place where she worked as a waitress at a burger joint. She was not alone; Emma was with her. It pissed her off to see Emma working with Jihye. Fortunately, her friends dragged her away.

“Leave Jihye alone. She’s free to be with anyone she likes. Even if the person has to be Emma, you do not have the right to stop them.”

Rozalin was left with no choice but to walk away with her friends. But at the club, her mood was foul. She could not enjoy her time because in her mind, Jihye and their memories filled it up almost all of it. So, she drank like a mad woman.

Drunk, she made her way to the burger joint. She slipped away from her friends who were busy on the dance floor. She haphazardly made her way and saw Jihye was throwing out the garbage by herself. She ran up to her and grabbed hold of Jihye’s arm. The other girl was startled but she was unfazed by the presence of her ex-girlfriend.

“Jihye ah.”

“What are you doing here? Have you been drinking?”

“Jihye ah.”

Rozalin held on to Jihye tightly. She stared into Jihye’s eyes, and her heart felt warm. It was that same feeling she had when they were still together. She wanted to tell Jihye that she missed her. She wanted to tell Jihye that she still loves her. She has been thinking about Jihye all the time and she wants Jihye back in her life.

But upon seeing Emma approaching them from the corner of her eyes, she just stopped herself from saying those words. Instead, she hurt Jihye.

“I hate you. I hate you for breaking my heart. I hate this moment. I hate holding you. I just want to tell you that I hate you so much that I don’t wish to see you around here ever again.”

And she slapped Jihye across the face before she walked off; leaving Jihye heart-broken and Emma flabbergasted.

“Don’t you ever come near Jihye unnie again!”

Emma shouted at her but Rozalin could not be bothered anymore. She knew she made a big mistake and she knew it was over. Finally, it was over, and she lost Jihye that night.

-

“Emma!”

“Yeah?”

“Where is Jihye? How come I don’t see her around anymore?”

“She left this town and everything behind.”

“But why?!”

Jihyang was appalled to learn that Jihye had left. Rozalin was with her, but she remained nonchalant. And Emma was extremely mad at her. She pushed Rozalin down.

“Thanks to this . Jihye unnie decided to leave this town for good because this here told her that she does not want to see Jihye around here anymore.”

Rozalin’s mind went blank. She could remember what she said that fateful night. And she regretted it. She informed Jihyang and her furious friend dragged her to apologize to Jihye. But it was too late.

“Please, please just leave Jihye unnie alone. Let her heal at some other town other than here. Rozalin unnie, you broke her good. You broke her completely that she’s now an empty shell. If you don’t mean those words you said that night and wished you could take them back, I’m telling you. It’s too late. Jihye unnie will never want to see you again.”

For the first time, Rozalin was heartbroken. But she kept her promise not to find Jihye again. So, she went out on dates hoping to find someone to love. However, she found out. Jihye was irreplaceable. Noh Jihye is the only girl her heart wants.

-

Rozalin looked at her phone. She kept a photo of Jihye. After few months since Jihye left town, she tried to text her ex-girlfriend. She wanted to know if Jihye is still holding on to the same number. To her surprise, Jihye replied to her. They remain friends. Rozalin was adamant to keep Jihye in her life so she asked for forgiveness, and Jihye’s soft heart agreed that they will be friends. But they never meet again. Just texts and sometimes occasion birthday calls to wish each other.

And because of this, Rozalin feels confident that they could still be together.  She just needs time to find her way back to Jihye’s heart. But this time around, knowing Jihye is moving on with someone new, Rozalin feels threatened.

This is not how it supposed to be. Time is no longer on her side anymore. Rozalin made up her mind.  She wants Jihye back. She needs to get her back, no matter what it takes.

“Noh Jihye, I need you.”

-

Yongsun wouldn’t stop smiling even when she was in a middle of a business meeting with her subordinates. She wasn’t even listening to a single word they said. Irene was watching her; rolled her eyes a couple of times before ended the meeting.

“Oh, it’s over? Ok, I want to see the reports on my table tomorrow. And if you have nothing much today, you can leave at 4pm.”

Everyone immediately looked up with mouths wide open. They were amused with this new side of Kim Yongsun. She used to be prim and proper; always focused on her job. But this time, she wasn’t even herself anymore. They must have thought their CEO might have gone crazy during her absence.

Irene flicked her finger on Yongsun’s forehead.

“What are you talking about?”

She hissed.  Yongsun flinched before rubbing her forehead.

“What?”

“Are you seriously letting them having an early day off?”

“It’s Friday. It’s TGIF!”

“Okay, you guys heard her. You can leave at 4pm today.”

“YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“Go ahead and have a good weekend! But I’ll see you guys at 9am sharp for a meeting on Monday morning.”

“Yes, Miss Kim! Thank you, Miss Kim!”

The employees left immediately, and Irene was already folding her arms, staring down at Yongsun. That woman was still wearing her smile on her face. She looked up and came face to face with the glaring ex-girlfriend.

“Yes, I’m crazy. There.”

“What happened during that leave? Did you meet someone new?”

“Well, kinda.”

“Who’s the lucky girl I may ask?”

“Miss Jung’s daughter.”

Irene was horrified. She slapped Yongsun’s back.

“YA! ARE YOU A E OR SOMETHING?!”

“SHE’S IN UNIVERSITY! SHE’S OF A LEGAL AGE!”

“Oh.”

“Yes, and OW! That hurts!”

Yongsun was massaging her back, the area where Irene almost broke her shoulder blade. Irene stuck her tongue out but offered to massage her back instead.

“Are you serious with her?”

“Why? Are you jealous?”

“Kim Yongsun, you know what I mean. She seems like a young lady.”

“She’s younger than us. But she has been attending meetings on behalf of her mother. She’s good in making decisions and of course, she has been dealing with top CEOs on behalf of her mother. She’s matured for her age.”

“And you?”

Yongsun understood what Irene meant. She stood up and gently pulled Irene into her arms. She still feels a certain degree of guilt towards Irene.

“I don’t know. After what I did to you, I still have some doubts. But she told me to take our time knowing each other.”

“Taking advantage of me as usual.”

“Hey, it’s a comforting hug, ok?!”

“I’m fine. I have already gotten over our failed relationship. So, can you stop feeling like this?”

“You stood by my side for the longest time.”

“Yes, and we are best friends now. So, I’m completely okay. Besides, I’m seeing Wendy. We’re getting serious and you do not even have a space in my mind and heart anymore.”

“Geez, your honesty can kill people.”

Irene giggled but nevertheless, she turned around and hugged Yongsun tightly.

“I love you as much but more of a sisterly way. I know you were hurt before, and you never got over your parents’ deaths no matter what people say. It’s a shame that our relationship faltered but hey, I have never stopped worrying about you.”

Yongsun pouted.

“Will you help me this time, Irene?”

“Hmm?”

“I really want to love someone, and I think she could be the one.”

“How do you want me to help you?”

“Stop me if I go astray again.”

Irene smiled widely.

“I promise you. If this is really the love you need, I’ll do anything to make sure you and this wonderful girl of yours will stay together for the rest of your life.”

“Thank you.”

The ex-girlfriends hugged each other for a bit more before another idiotic best friend of theirs stumbled upon them.

“ARE YOU BACK TOGETHER?!”

“Look who’s here.”

“The crazy policewoman.”

“HEY! YOU TWO HUGGING EACH OTHER AND IM NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE FUN OF YOU TWO?! I CAN TELL WENDY YOU KNOW!”

“YOU DARE! AND WHERE’S OUR FOOD?!”

“I’M NOT YOUR GRAB DELIVERY WOMAN! ITS IN YONGSUN’S ROOM! HURRY UP! IM FAMISHED!”

The two women laughed as they followed their best friend to Yongsun’s room.  Then Irene pulled Yongsun back.

“Are you ever going to tell Moonbyul?”

“I will but not now. This woman is scary. She will start a background check on Wheein.”

“OH, she has a name.”

“Yes, her name is Jung Wheein.”

Irene smiled.

“She sounds nice.”

“She is. And beautiful and cute and wonderful and pretty and everything a woman could desire.”

Irene rolled her eyes; she walked ahead of Yongsun.

“Hey! It’s the truth.”

“Hurry up, Byul will draw her gun at us.”

“WILL YOU TWO HURRY UP?! I HAVE A FORENSIC MEETING LATER ON! I NEED TO KNOW WHO THE HEAD BELONGS TO?!”

“YOU DON’T HAVE TO SAY THAT LAST BIT YOU IDIOT!”

“WE DON’T NEED TO KNOW!”

Well, the women could get crazy sometimes. And this was one of the moments they had in their daily lives.

-

Lee Jung was humming to herself as she helped her mothers preparing for dinner. Monica looked on with amusement while the other mother’s mouth was wide open.

“Someone’s in a good mood.”

She whispered to Monica.

“Let her be. I rather see her in this mood than her forlorn self.”

“She might have met someone new.”

“We will ask her when she’s ready to tell us.”

“Okay.”

Lee Jung’s mothers were more laidback compared to other parents. They will not meddle with the girls’ lives, but they would get protective if they knew someone tried to harm them. Besides, Lee Jung was smiling a lot lately. They were just glad their happy go lucky daughter is back.

They finally settled down around the dining table. Kay sat next to her sister; nudging her a couple of times. Lee Jung turned to look at her.

“What?”

“Is there something good in your life now?”

Kay knew a bit since she found out Noze was the one who spent the night out with her sister.

“Yes, I’m seeing someone new.”

The mothers immediately put down their chopsticks.  They all swarmed around Lee Jung.

“Who are you seeing now?”

“Noze.”

Kay immediately answered.

“That’s supposed to be my line!”

“Well, I beat you to it.”

“Is that name even legit?”

Lip J was puzzled.

“That’s her nickname. Her name is Noh Jihye.”

“Is she treating you well?”

Monica was on her protective mom mode.

“We are learning to know each other. We’re taking slow. I think we are still in the process of getting to know each other. But I have good feelings with her.”

“Ok, just as long as you’re happy. Bring her home soon.”

“I will. But please, let us take it slow. I’ll bring her home when we are ready.”

-

“Jihye ah, can you come and take your clean clothes in? I have folded for you.”

“Ok, Omma!”

Jihye quickly ran out of the room; took her clothes including her sisters and put them nicely in the cupboards. She then helped her mothers to clean the house. She was doing the same thing but this time around, Jihye was wearing a smile, a genuine sincere smile that Rihye knows her daughter is feeling better.

“My girl seems happy after the camping.”

Jihye’s face immediately blushed.

“Hah! I caught you!”

“Omma! It’s not fun that you can read me so well!”

“You found someone new?”

“In the process of getting to know each other.”

“Oh? Is she nice to you?”

“So far, it has been good.”

“Better than the previous one?”

Jihye smiled; nodding her head.

“I think she’s going to be better; more than good; she will take care of my heart.”

“How sure can you get?”

“I don’t know. I just have this feeling that she’s going to be the one for me.”

Rihye stood up and pulled her daughter closer. She hugged the maknae tightly.

“I just want you to be happy. Promise Omma, you’ll be happier than before.”

“I will, Omma. I’ll not let you worry for me anymore.”

-

“Wheein ah! Dinner!”

“Coming!”

Wheein went home to visit her mother, Jessica. Jessica was pleased to learn that she got the contract with Miss Kim. Her daughter did her proud.

“Miss Kim wants you to be the partner in this joint venture.”

Of course, Miss Kim wanted that.

“Okay, Mommy.”

“I’m so proud of you. I’m sure you can do well.”

“Is this the final business venture that I need to deal with?”

“Yes, your Aunt is back from States. She will resume her role. You just need to handle this account.”

Wheein sighed in relief.  She was glad that her mother agreed to let her take over this account. She would have some much time dealing with Miss Kim. And she wanted that.

After that camping night, she learnt a lot of things about Miss Kim. Yongsun. Wheein smiled at the thought of the woman who shook her world out of nowhere. Well,  they were taking things slow but Wheein was eager to dive into Yongsun’s world.

Yongsun changed her perspective in life. She’s an orphan, had to grow up quickly and abandoned her dreams because of circumstances in her family. She remembered that night, while sleeping in the tent, Yongsun had a nightmare.

She was struggling to breathe and Wheein was slightly alarmed.

“Omma! Omma, don’t leave me!”

Yongsun mumbled in her sleep. Beads of sweat tickled down from Yongsun’s forehead. She looked scared; terrified and Wheein knew what she was dreaming of.

So, she pulled Yongsun closer to her, tucked the trembling Yongsun under her chin and hummed softly. Yongsun trembled so hard but soon, she calmed down.  Wheein was still humming softly; embraced her tightly.

Slowly, Yongsun opened her eyes and found herself locked in Wheein’s arms. She looked up gently; Wheein felt her moved; she gazed down. There was so much pain in Yongsun’s eyes and Wheein knew the poor woman never really got over painful memory. It must have been terrifying that night of the accident.

“You’ll be fine now.”

Wheein whispered.

“I promise you. I’ll keep you safe like this each time you feel pain in your heart.”

Wheein’s words of promise comforted Yongsun so much.

“Don’t let me go tonight, Wheein.”

“I will never do that anymore. Sleep now, you’re safe now.”

Yongsun slept like a baby that night, much to Wheein’s relief.

Ever since that night, Wheein knew. She had fallen in love with Kim Yongsun.  And she wanted more because she could never forget Yongsun’s whimpers that night.

She wanted to protect the older woman with all her might.

-