Chapter 4

That Kind Of Love

“WHERE IS YOUR ELDEST DAUGHTER?!”

Hyowon was panicking as she grabbed her wife’s collar. She shook the poor woman trying to find answers about their eldest child.

“YA!”

“I TOLD YOU TO LOOK AFTER HER!”

“I was busy with work! And I told her to stay at home if she doesn’t have anything!”

“SHE JUST GOT HER HEART BROKEN! I’M SCARED THAT SHE WOULD DO SOMETHING STUPID!”

“You’re not helping by being panicking. I think Lee Jung is better than that.”

“She confessed to me last week. It is still hurting her and its killing her. She’s just hanging on because of us and her friends.”

“Yes, I know but she’s smarter than you think. I’m sure she’s with her friends right now.”

“SHE DIDN’T GET HOME LAST NIGHT!”

“WHAT?!”

Now it was Monika’s turn to panic. She quickly ran up to their youngest daughter’s room and woke the girl up.

“KAY! KAY!”

“WOAH WOAH! WEI?!”

“WHERE IS YOUR SISTER?”

“In her room?”

“SHE’S NOT IN HER ROOM!”

Kay finally opened her eyes fully. She quickly got up from her bed and ran towards her sister’s room. Her mothers were hot on her heels.

“UNNIE?!”

Lee Jung was not in her room at all. Her room was completely neat. The family started panicking.

-

Hanee was busy making breakfast. Hyojin was helping her. The mother and daughter always ended up doing menial work like this.

“Omma, why am I always cutting the onions?”

Hyojin squinted her eyes. Hanee laughed. She wondered too.

“I think you’re just suited for such roles. And also as the eldest daughter, you probably have to do more housework compared to your sisters.”

Hyojin rolled her eyes. She could never escape it. Just then, Gabee stepped inside and looked around. She saw her Omma cutting vegetables. She volunteered.

“Omma, let me help.”

“Okay, you can cut the kimchi and carrots.”

“WHY IS SHE GETTING THE NON-STINGING ITEMS?!”

“Unnie, you’re the best for that.”

“Shut up.”

Hanee could only laugh. She loves her girls. They gave her reasons to smile when things were tough back then. She was not too sure if they could afford to raise the girls. They were struggling but Rihey was adamant to take the girls home. But once they did, their lives flourished. Hanee’s restaurant became a hit in their town and they have been living comfortably.

And when Jihye came along, Rihey got promoted and she became the Head of Department in her school. Rihey has always believed Jihye is a lucky child.  Just then, Rihey came running into the kitchen.

“Where’s Jihye?”

“In her room?”

“No, she’s not in her room.  I just checked.”

“Did she come back yesterday?”

Hyojin and Gabee looked at each other. They did not recall seeing Jihye.

“Where did she go?”

“Maybe she’s with Yeojin?”

“Even if she stays out with Yeojin, she will let us know. Now she didn’t contact anyone in the house! Is she in trouble?!”

Rihey was panicking, Gabee started calling Jihye’s friends and Hyojin ran out of the house to look for her sister. Hanee checked her phone. Seriously, where did this girl go in the early morning?!

-

Lee Jung woke up, feeling so much better. She tried to pull her blanket, but it was stuck. She turned around and came face to face with a beautiful girl. Lee Jung opened her eyes wide and closed tight.

She immediately sat up, stunned.

“WHAT IS GOING ON?! WHY IS NOZE DOING IN MY ROOM?!”

She was screaming in her head silently.

“THIS IS NOT MY ROOM!!”

She was panicking. She quickly lifted her blanket up.

“Oh? I’m not ?”

“YA, Lee Jung, stop moving around.”

Noze was struggling to get up, Lee Jung’s legs were on top of her.

“Can you move your legs?”

“Eh?”

“Your legs, they are on top of me.”

Lee Jung quickly removed her legs.  She went on her knees instead.

“Sorry! Sorry! I didn’t mean to take advantage of you!”

“Eh?”

“I don’t know how we got to this hotel room and you’re sleeping next to me. I’ll take responsibility!”

“What responsibility are you talking about?”

“WE SLEPT TOGETHER!”

Noze finally opened her eyes and just stared at Lee Jung. The other girl was panicking. She could sense her tension. Noze then sat up before she sighed softly.

“How are you going to take responsibility?”

“Huh?”

“We are both girls. And even if we had , neither one of us could get pregnant. So how are you going to be responsibility?”

“WE HAD ?!”

“NO, WE DID NOT!”

“THEN WHY DID YOU SAY THAT?!”

“YOU WERE RAMBLING NONSENSE!”

“THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE WITH ME ON THE BED?! WHY AM WE IN THE HOTEL ROOM?!”

Lee Jung’s eyes were as big as goldfish. Noze was stupefied at first before ended up laughing. Gosh, this silly girl. For some reason, she found Lee Jung cute and funny.

“You were upset after meeting your ex-girlfriend. You ended up crying for hours and then you fell ill. I don’t know where you live so I took us to the hotel. Was supposed to just rest for awhile and was waiting for you to get up. But you never did.  I couldn’t even wake you up. You slept like a log.”

Lee Jung blinked her eyes a couple of times. She then lowered her head.

“I tend to sleep like a log.”

“Yes, indeed. I had a hard time waking you up.”

“But why one bed?”

“This is the only room they had.”

“But we snuggled each other?”

Noze’s eyes softened.

“You begged me not to leave you. You wanted me to hug you to sleep.  The moment I did, you fell asleep soundly until this morning.”

“Oh.”

“You must have been keeping it inside for so long. You fell sick instantly because your body couldn’t take it anymore. It happened to me too.”

“It did?”

“Yeah, it’s okay to cry. Your fever is gone, and you look so much better than last night.”

“Thank you for taking care of me. I’m really grateful.”

Noze smiled. It was the softest smile Lee Jung had ever seen on anyone. That smile comforted her.  It prompted her to smile as well. Noze then reached out for her hand and squeezed it tightly.

“If the pain gets too much, come to me. I’ll listen to your rants. Let out and you’ll feel so much better.”

“But I don’t think I should bother you.”

“We both are going through the same thing. We can understand each other better. Isn’t it better if we just share our woes together?”

Noze was sincere.  And Lee Jung was comforted. She gripped Noze’s hand tightly while Noze caressed the top of Lee Jung’s hand with her thumb gently. They both smiled at each other. Then their phones rang. Both grabbed the phones and answered.

Their eyes grew larger.

“LEE JUNG/JIHYE! WHERE ARE YOU?!”

Their families were screaming at the end of the lines.

-

Taeyeon was finally done with her work, but she did not head home straightaway. She went to her daughter’s school instead. She sighed softly as her eyes wandered out of the window. She has been avoiding her wife, Jessica for the last 2 weeks. Both knew it was no longer enough to stay together. But for the sake of their daughter, both stayed together for as long as they could. However, Wheein is now a young adult, it was probably a good time they get a separation for the sake of each other mental health.

She was worried though how their daughter would feel about this. And the biggest issue was she wondered who Wheein would choose to be. She had no idea how much her parents had been fighting with each other behind her back.

Jessica is an ambitious woman. She has made plans for her future and that includes Wheein. She was basically grooming her daughter to be her next heir for her fashion empire business. However, the poor girl had no interest in business. Since young, Wheein has shown her talent in singing and dancing. She has everything of Taeyeon. She even loves to paint just like Taeyeon.

But Wheein is a follower. She hates confrontations thus she listens to her Mommy more than anyone else. She puts aside her dreams just to follow her Mommy’s words much to Taeyeon’s chagrin.

“Wheein is too young to understand whatever you’re trying to teach her. You want her to learn the ropes of taking over your business, but that child is still in school!”

“This is not her first time being my proxy. She has done this a lot and has been doing well.”

“But you’re disturbing her studies. You’re distracting her!”

“Wheein’s not complaining, why are you so upset about it?!”

“Wheein listens to you until she forgets her own dreams, her own goals! I don’t want our daughter grow up as rigid as you!”

“That’s too much! I’ve never stopped Wheein from doing anything she wants. If she doesn’t want to take over my business, it’s fine by me! But she’s the one who offered to take my place! You’re just fighting with me because you’ve grown tired of me! So stop diverting the story to our child!”

Taeyeon was stunned when Jessica finally burst. She kept her silence.

“You got married to me because of our families. Your father practically “sold” you to my father. And then we got married because of whatever that was happening back then. You think you have lost your life, lost your love, and lost your future with Tiffany then what about me?! I have lost as much as you did!”

Jessica cried softly, leaving Taeyeon feeling guilty as ever. She did not mean to flare up. Things have been too busy and too taxing with her comeback, performance schedules and concerts. She was exhausted.

"I'm sorry, Jessica. I didn’t mean whatever I have said.”

“Never mind, forget it. Let’s get a divorce and move on with our lives separately.”

“What? No, this will hurt Wheein!”

“Wheein is old enough to understand. I just feel that you have been unhappy ever since we got married. Wheein came along and it got worse. If you wish to leave, then let’s just end this marriage.”

“Then how about Wheein? What’s going to happen to her if we divorce?”

“We’ll talk to Wheein when we have the time.”

-

“Omma!”

Taeyeon was awakened from her reverie. She smiled as she saw her previous daughter waving from her lift lobby. She was waiting in her car at the carpark.

She quickly got out of the car and reached out for Wheein’s hands. The younger woman hugged her tightly.

“I miss you!”

“Yes, I miss you too.”

“But why are you doing here? Is it okay for you to be here?”

Taeyeon gave a sad smile. Because of her popularity and her status as South Korean’s most powerful vocalist, she had to hide her family from the public’s eyes.

She just pulled her daughter closer and hugged her tightly. She knew she would lose her daughter to Jessica. Wheein is not her biological daughter.

“It’s fine. Omma doesn’t care anymore. I just want to see you.”

“You can see me at home.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“But lately, you’re hardly home. Is work really that overwhelming for you?”

“Yeah, but I can manage.”

“I miss you.”

Wheein pouted and Taeyeon’s heart fell. She could not imagine how Wheein would react if she knew about the impending divorce.

“I’ll come home more often, okay?”

“Mommy misses you too.”

“Hmm?”

“I know you and Mommy have been fighting a lot. Sometimes I’m outside the door, I could hear the two of you arguing.”

“You heard us?”

“Whenever I come home.”

“So, you actually came home but then you left again because of our fights?”

“If things are really that bad between the two of you, then you should decide the best for you.”

“Wheein ah.”

“I love both of you. I love Mommy and I love you. Even if you two get a divorce, I’m not choosing sides. I’m still your daughter, right?”

-

Wheein headed home after passing the contract to Yongsun. She wanted to get something from her room when she heard her two mothers arguing in their room. She stood quietly outside their room and listened in.

Her heart sank. Her deduction was right. Her parents were unhappy. She could feel their tension since she learnt how to understand what family should be.

But she never asked them. And she never complained about them. They had their issues, but both love her unconditionally. Her Mommy is concerned about her, she gave her everything although there were times, she was her proxy during the meetings. Her Omma would always look for her the moment she had free time from her schedules.

While hearing her Mommy suggested to file for divorce, Wheein felt upset at first. But she finally understood that happiness means a lot to both her mothers. She smiled to herself. Her mothers stayed together because of her. They were worried about her.

So, Wheein made up her mind. If her mothers would divorce one day, she would agree to it too.

-

“So, you’re not upset about us getting a divorce?”

Wheein was finally home and both mothers were present. Taeyeon informed Jessica the truth and that Wheein would like to meet them. All 3 were sitting on the dining table. Wheein even bought dinner with her.

She smiled widely as she held out to her mothers’ hands.  She squeezed them gently.

“Mommy, Omma, I know it has been tough for both of you to stay together just to bring me up. You wanted the best for me, and I knew how hard you tried to protect me from the unforgiving world. Having two mothers instead of a proper pair of parents and raising a child in Seoul, it must have been extremely difficult for you both. And I know you love me so much, both of you. That was why you just swallowed all the pain and tough moments just to see me smile, see me happy and raised me up until I could enter university to complete my studies.”

Jessica was tearing up while Taeyeon held on to her daughter’s hand tightly. But Wheein just smiled.

“If getting a divorce makes you happy, then just do it. I’m still your daughter. I’m still a daughter to Mommy and Omma. I’m not choosing sides. Don’t make me do that.”

“No, I’m not going to ask you to do that. Mommy wants you to be happy.”

“I’m aware of that. That’s why Mommy allows me to do whatever I want. And I’m happy being your assistant. I like it. Omma, Mommy has never forced me to do things if I don’t like it. If I’m busy, Mommy will not ask me to become her proxy during her meetings.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“Mommy loves me more than her own life. And I’m sure she loves you as much.”

Jessica wiped her tears away and looked away. Taeyeon felt guilty.

“Omma, if you want a divorce, then just do it. We’re still a family. Am I right? I’m still your daughter.”

“We will think about this again. Don’t get affected by this. I’ll discuss with your Mommy, okay?”

“Yes, we promise we’ll talk about this thoroughly.”

Wheein nodded before she hugged both her mothers.

-

Yongsun looked around her office. Only her room was still brightly lit while the rest of the office was in darkness. Irene had left a long time ago. She looked at the time.

“Sheesh.”

It was already 10.30pm and she was still buried in her work. She put her files away and grabbed her bag.  She left the office and made her way to the nearest convenience store. Dinner should just be ramyeon and soju. She was too exhausted to move anymore.

Just then, someone tapped on her shoulder as she sat down with her hot ramyeon, getting ready to dig in. She looked over and smiled widely. Someone made her day again.

“JUNG WHEEIN!”

But Wheein just stood there; her eyes were watery and red. And her smile; it was a weak smile like as though she had gone through some difficult moment.

“What’s wrong?”

“Hmm? Nothing’s wrong.”

“Why are your eyes so red?”

“I got sore eyes.”

“Don’t lie.”

“I’m fine, really. What are you doing here so late at night?”

Wheein glanced to her side.

“Dinner?”

“Yeah, I’m too lazy to go anywhere.”

“Ramyeon is not good for health.”

“It’s almost 11.30pm. There aren’t many stalls open.”

“Don’t you cook?”

“Me? Hardly.”

Wheein rolled her eyes and looked around the convenience store.

“Wait here.”

Wheein left her and manoeuvred around the store, searching for food.  She grabbed some foods from the shelves and counter, paid for them and heat them up. She then took the food she bought and placed them in front of Yongsun.

“That’s a lot.”

“I’ll eat them with you.”

“Oh, okay. That’s great! We’re finally having our dinner date!”

Yongsun laughed heartily. Wheein watched her as she dug into the food almost immediately. She must be hungry.

“Ya, eat slowly.”

“I’m famished.”

“Work is work. Health is health. How can you not take care of your own health? You have the whole business empire under you.”

“Are you worried?”

“As a friend.”

“Oh? That’s good enough. I just happened to work late tonight. Usually, I’ll have my proper dinner.”

Wheein watched in amusement. Yongsun is wearing her white top and black power skirt, looking all powerful and pretty. Yet she was eating like a child, sauce all over and chin.

“You eat like a baby.”

“What?”

“Look at your face.”

Wheein put her mirror in front of Yongsun. The older woman widened her eyes.

“AND YOU NEVER TOLD ME?!”

“I JUST DID!”

“LIKE WHAT? 20 MINUTES LATER?!”

“HUH?!”

“YOU’RE MAKING FUN OF ME RIGHT? AS A REVENGE!?”

“DO YOU THINK I HAVE THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO DO THAT!?”

“BUT YOU JUST DID!”

“WHY ARE WE FIGHTING AGAIN?!”

Yongsun argued with her on purpose. Wheein’s facial expression was unreadable, but she could sense that the younger woman was upset. She purposely stained herself to get Wheein’s attention and it did.

Never mind that they were arguing in the public but at least, it diverted Wheein’s unhappiness to something else.  Anyway, Wheein was so adorable whenever they argued.

“You’re seriously insane!”

“Oh well, it diverted your attention.”

“What?”

Yongsun sighed before she grabbed Wheein’s ice cream and removed the paper. She gave it back to her before she patted Wheein’s head.

“I don’t know what made you unhappy earlier on. You were obviously in tears because your eyes were red and watery. But they were not swollen so I guessed you’re just a little upset over something.”

“You can sense that?”

“I prefer to see a smiling Wheein or an annoyed little Wheein. Seeing you in tears made me upset as well. If you need anything, just let me know.”

“But we hardly know each other.”

“Well, we can start to know each other more now. I really want to be your friend. A friend that will stay with you in bad times and make you happy when you feel like crying.”

“I have other friends.”

“Am I not allowed to be part of that?”

Wheein looked on blankly. This Kim Yongsun is different. Different from her first impression.

“How? Can I be that friend?”

Yongsun was hopeful and Wheein did not wish to disappoint this new friend of hers. She smiled and then nodded.

“Great! Now, lets get you back to your school. It’s already late.”

Yongsun grabbed her hand and her heartbeat really fast like before.  Wheein likes this feeling. She really likes this feeling. Like she was being protected.

Whoever you are, Kim Yongsun, you’re making me feel butterflies in my stomach each time you hold my hand.

-

Jung Wheein was upset. Of course she would be. Which child would not be upset if their parents decided to get a divorce? She was not exceptional. But she took it with a light heart. Her mothers love her and they sacrificed so much for her. She was not going to be selfish for that.

But Wheein was frustrated. There was this impending pain inside her that prompted her to cry. She wiped her tears away. She had left her house a long time ago and was just wandering around aimlessly.  She kicked the fallen leaves on the ground and even attempted to step on a passing snail. Thank god she decided to move on. 

After an hour of walking around aimlessly, Wheein finally felt hungry. She could hear a small growl and she slapped her forehead. 

"You might be upset but you still need to feed your stomach. Seriously, I have so many issues in life."

She chided herself but somehow managed to locate a convenience store. As she came closer, she stopped dead on her tracks. A woman with a black power skirt, a black blazer hanging on her left hand and her top white blouse was ed at the collar - she was dragging her heels into the store. Wheein saw her yawn a couple of times.

"What the hell. How? And why?"

She recognized that woman. Kim Yongsun. A tired and sleepy Kim Yongsun.

Wheein decided to follow her quietly. Yongsun had no energy to be aware of her surroundings. Wheein saw Yongsun picking up ramyeon, soju and some braised eggs. 

"She's eating rubbish."

Wheein rolled her eyes when Yongsun grabbed some chocolates. Finally, Yongsun paid for her food and cooked her ramyeon. Wheein only approached her when Yongsun settled down.

"Yikes!"

Yongsun jumped when Wheein touched her shoulders; startling the younger woman as well.

"What?"

"Jung Wheein!"

Yongsun grabbed hold of Wheein's arms and pulled her down to the seat. Yongsun was happy. She was happy to meet Wheein. But that happy smile turned into a frown when Yongsun cupped Wheein's cheeks tightly.

"What happened?"

"Ah?"

"Did someone bully you?"

"What?"

"Did you cry?"

"No?"

"Oh, okay! NICE MEETING YOU HERE!"

"Stop screaming! We're in the public!"

Yongsun had no care about the people staring at them. She was just genuinely happy to see Wheein. Wheein was amused. This Kim Yongsun is managing the biggest fashion empire in Asia yet she behaved like a dork whenever Wheein was with her.

It was something different for Wheein. There was this likeable trait in Yongsun that Wheein couldn't shake off from their first meeting. Yes, she was teased a lot of times. But it was a pleasant experience. Annoying, yes but also entertaining. The pair spent time eating after Wheein grabbed more food. 

They just sat there, eating, chatting, laughing and of course, the never-ending teasing. Wheein had long forgotten about her mothers' problem. She was no longer frustrated. 

She was just enjoying her night with someone she met briefly. 

But that someone made her smile. 

"Don't think about our worries. Just let us enjoy tonight with food and soju!"

Wheein laughed heartily. Yongsun was giggling like a fool.  

"You're crazy sometimes."

"Well, the most important in life is be happy. Tomorrow's a new day. We worry about that later."

Wheein agreed.

"Thank you."

"Don't mention. I'm always here for you."

Warmth. 

It was definitely a good warmth that night.

-

“WHERE DID YOU GO?!”

Lee Jung got into trouble the moment she stepped into the house.  Everyone was furious.  The girl was out the whole night. And she did not inform anyone in the house.

“I was sleeping over at my friend’s place.”

“Which friend?”

“My friend from school.”

“Girl?”

“Omma, of course I’m with a girl.”

“New girlfriend?”

“Mommy! We’re just course mates. I fell asleep at her place after discussing about the project. And you know me, I sleep like a log.”

“Geez, you could have just texted one of us!”

“I completely forgotten about it. Don’t worry so much. I’m fine.”

“Have you eaten breakfast?”

“No, I left immediately after you called. I mean, Omma sounds like she’s going to fight everyone in the neighbourhood because I went missing.”

“I’m just worried about you! The last time you went missing and it took us a week to locate you!”

“Oh, that. I promise you; it won’t happen again.”

“I’ll cook you something. Stop scaring me like that!”

“Hyowon ah, you’re just so dramatic.”

Monika attempted to comfort Hyowon. She quickly ushered Hyowon into the kitchen before she started nagging at the whole family again. She left Lee Jung with her sister. Kay was already staring warily at her sister.

“What?”

“Which friend? I know all your friends.”

“Obviously, she’s someone you probably wouldn’t know.”

“Did you meet Aiki unnie?”

Lee Jung’s eyes grew larger; was wide apart.

“I knew it.”

“Wait, how did you know? She told you?”

“Rageon called me. Aiki was asking about you.”

“Oh.”

“What did she do? Were you really with a friend or you were hiding somewhere?”

Lee Jung sighed. She pulled her sister into the room and locked the door. She had no energy to explain to her mothers if they found out.

“I was really with a friend. This person is Yeojin Unnie’s friend. We hardly talked before but recently, I met her at the library. We had the same project topic for our Business Law module, so we spent time together.”

“Oh, what’s her name?”

“Noze.”

Kay Day sat up instantly. dropped.

“THE NOZE?!”

“What?”

“The pretty dancer, Noze aka Noh Jihye?!”

“Yup, that’s the one.”

“YOU KNOW HER?!”

“Didn’t I just say it?”

“Unnie! Odd has mad crush on that senior!”

“I can see why.”

“YOU SLEPT WITH HER?!”

“NO! I DID NOT! OH MY GOD, GO LOUDER AND LET THE WORLD KNOW!”

Lee Jung had a hard time subduing her little sister. She would be the death of Lee Jung. She told Kay Day everything from the beginning to the end.  Kay was quiet throughout. Then suddenly she held her sister’s hand and squeezed tightly.

“Rozalin and Noze were one of the power couples back in our dance academy. They were unbeatable and everyone knew how close they were. But yeah, after the breakup, we hardly see Noze sunbae around. Odd was upset because she could not swoon over the senior anymore.”

“So, you know about them?”

“Well, not really much but since Odd is head over heels, we get a lot of stories from her.”

“Rozalin is a bad girl?”

“Not really but Noze Sunbae is a quiet individual while Rozalin Sunbae is popular among the girls. Since personalities clashed, Rozalin ended the relationship.”

Lee Jung nodded.

“But Noze Sunbae is a nice person. She may look so cold but she cries easily.”

“Well, I embarrassed myself more.”

“So, you cried in front of her, you fell ill, and she took care of you?”

“Yup. That’s it.”

“And there was no attempt to bed her?”

“WHICH PART OF MY STORY DID YOU NOT LISTEN?!”

Lee Jung hit Kay with the pillow. The two girls were so noisy until Monika had to shush them down. She called them down since Hyowon just cooked a big pot of tteokbokki. She was so stressed up because of Lee Jung. Kay managed to escape Lee Jung; she ran after Monika. But before that, she manages to stick her tongue out.

“This brat!”

Lee Jung hissed under her breath. But her mind was filled with Noze the moment she was left alone. Noze sent her home earlier on. And before she left, she squeezed Lee Jung’s hands tightly.

“Keep yourself warm.  Don’t think so much. We have promised that we will find each other if things get really tough. You got my number. Just call me if you need someone.”

Lee Jung could still feel Noze’s warmth. It was comforting.  She felt protected. She pulled out her phone and scrolled down to Noze’s number.

She paused for the longest time before she ran her fingers on her phone screen.

Thank you, Noze. Thank you for helping me last night.

Seconds later, a beep was heard.

My pleasure, Lee Jung. Have some rest. I’ll see you later.

Honestly, Lee Jung was already looking forward to meeting her too.

She just wanted to see Noze again.

-

Noze rolled her eyes like the umpteen times. Her sisters were so noisy in the early morning. They went ballistic on the phone earlier on when they realised, she wasn’t home. But when she reached home, the two sisters were fighting over the bathroom.

“I need to work.”

“I need to work too!”

“You will take ages to bathe!”

“Unnie, you’re worse than me! You would take an hour to do number 2!”

“I HAD A BAD TUMMY ACHE THAT DAY!”

Noze just stood at the door, watching them back and forth. As much as she welcomed them home but the mayhem they created would never go away. It was the same routine all over again. Suddenly Noze misses having the bathroom to herself.

She decided to leave them alone. The two sisters did not even realize their baby sister was home. Noze walked past them and went straight to find her mothers. Her Omma had already left for her restaurant. Her Rihey Mommy was busy with the laundry in the balcony.

“Mommy!”

“Ah, you’re home. You scared me last night.”

“Sorry, Mommy. I forgot about it. My friend needed me.”

“It’s fine, but don’t do it next time. Just text one of us at least.”

“I will, Mommy! I’m sorry!”

Noze pouted and Rihey chuckled softly. This skinny pre-teen she had her eyes on was already blossoming into this beautiful lady.

“Are you two sisters going crazy in the kitchen?”

“Yeah, they didn’t realize I’m home too.”

“Just ignore them. Let them settle their issues. Oh, Omma asked you to have breakfast at her restaurant before heading to school.”

“She’s going to nag at me.”

“Well, she was terrified when she didn’t find you in the room.”

“Okay, I’ll just wash up quickly and meet her at the restaurant. Can I use your bathroom?”

“Sure, go ahead. I’m getting ready for work. Are you coming home for dinner?”

“Yes, of course! See you, Mommy!”

Noze washed up and got ready to meet her Omma. She changed her clothes and grabbed her bag. She has lectures in the afternoon. She then made her way to the door. Hyojin spotted her.

“WHEN WERE YOU HOME?!”

“I got home like an hour ago.”

“I DIDN’T SEE YOU!”

“Well, you and Gabee unnie argued so much that you didn’t even notice your little sister standing at the door.”

Hyojin rolled her eyes but waved her hand.

“Be home for dinner!”

“Yes, Unnie. I’ll be home before dinner.”

Just then, Gabee stepped out of her room. She finally saw Noze.

“YOU!”

“I’m late! I’ll see you later, Unnie!”

“NOH JIHYE!!!!”

Noze escaped from her crazy sisters. She skipped down the street and headed for her Omma’s restaurant. Her Hanee Omma was at the counter

“Omma~”

Hanee looked up. She smacked Noze on her back.

“Ow!”

“What happened last night?”

“Exactly like how I shared with you over the phone this morning.”

“No, before that.”

“Before that?”

Hanee then pointed to the corner of her restaurant. There was an empty bowl on the table.

“What is it?”

“Rozalin came by.”

Noze’s facial expression changed immediately. And Hanee nodded like as though she already suspected.

“She waited you for like 2 hours.”

“She did?”

“I asked her.”

“And what did she say?”

“She said she saw you last night and something unpleasant happened. She wanted to talk to you.”

Noze sighed loudly.

“But I don’t wish to see her.”

“What happened, baby?”

“I saw her with another girl on a date.”

“And she said she saw you with another girl, having a lunch date.”

“That was my friend from school. We were working together on our project. We had lunch together and that was it.”

“I think she’s jealous.”

“Omma, are you actually gossiping now?”

Hanee laughed. She smacked her daughter again. Noze winced.

“I just want to see my baby girl happy. I don’t have the right to interfere but if you’re not happy being friends with Rozalin, then you’re allowed to say so. Just, you know? Move on completely. You’re just keep dragging your life around and letting Rozalin taking you for a ride.”

“I’m fine, Omma. I have you, Mommy and my two crazy sisters. I’m contented with that.”

“They are still fighting over the bathroom?!”

“You mean it has been that long?!”

“Jihye ah, do me a favour. Don’t be crazy like your sisters. Sometimes I wonder what I got myself into.”

Noze laughed.  Hanee made breakfast for her and Noze settled down. Hanee has other patrons, so she left Noze alone as she got busied.  After eating, Noze helped her mother for a bit longer before Hanee’s assistants arrived.

“I’m coming home for dinner later.”

Noze reminded her mother.

“Okay, I’ll see you later.”

Noze took her bag and left her mother’s restaurant. Just then, she heard a beep and she smiled widely. It was a message from someone last night. She read quickly and immediately replied. Her mind wandered off to the events this morning.

She giggled softly. Lee Jung was panicking when she realized she woke up with a woman next to her. She wanted to take responsible for something. Noze was tickled by that. She had never seen someone so adorable, so cute, and so funny like that.

Lee Jung is different.  She’s so comical but there is something in Lee Jung that quietly attracts Noze. After last night, Lee Jung had been on her mind throughout the morning.  Lee Jung’s deep voice when she calls “Noze” or “Jihye Unnie”, it stirred something in Noze’s heart.

And before she left Lee Jung’s place, Lee Jung held on to her hand.  The warmth from Lee Jung’s hand penetrated deep into Noze’s heart.

“Jihye Unnie, thank you for helping me last night. I don’t know what I would do if you were not there with me. I would probably lose my mind and might just do something stupid.”

“I’m not letting you to do that anymore. Things will get better, trust me. Let time heals all your wounds. Take your time, don’t force yourself.”

“You helped me a lot.”

“That’s nice to hear.”

Lee Jung leaned closer, and their faces were so close in proximity. Noze could literally smell Lee Jung’s sweet scent.  Lee Jung’s eye smiles were so captivating. Lee Jung was smiling. She was smiling widely.

“I’ll see you in school later?”

“Yeah, I’ll see you later.”

Noze was smiling herself. She looked like a fool.

But she did not care for that.

She’s as excited as Lee Jung.

She cannot wait to see Lee Jung again.

-