019

Once Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

❝That's the funny thing about love. It doesn't wait for perfection, the heart loves who it loves, exactly as they are, faults and all❞ - Amanda Hocking.

 

6:08 pm 

 

"Yeah, I'm speeding up!" 

 

Min-Jae's hand tightened on the steering wheel as he rounded the corner while speeding up the car towards the hospital as soon as he hung up the call of Woo-Jin since he let him know what has happened, with his eyes averting to the passenger's seat to find his sister unconscious as his heart sank enough for his vision to get blur but he had to drive, he had to reach the hospital no matter what. 

 

The moment he had found her passed out in the car, he couldn't help but panic, and knowing the ambulance could get late so he couldn't just wait and watch her unconscious in front of his eyes as it scared him so he did what he could and that was to drive her to the hospital. 

 

His first instinct was to call Woo-Jin and he had picked up after a few rings and informed him about the incident, and being shocked and panic was an understatement for him since it was his sister and the moment he stopped the car by the entrance of the hospital, he found Woo-Jin standing outside as the next minute, he was jogging towards them with a scared look on his face. 

 

Min-Jae unbuckled his seatbelt, and Woo-Jin opened the door of the passenger's door to immediately unbuckle Gayoung's seatbelt who was unconscious as he gasped, seeing the blood oozing out of her forehead above her eyebrow by a cut as he patted her cheek softly to check. "Noona?" 

 

Not getting any response, he was quick to lift her up in his arms to pace quickly inside with Min-Jae behind him as both of the brothers were scared, and worried as hell right now. 

 

Whereas, Baekhyun, who walked in his cabin after a surgery with a still heavy heart of his, as he couldn't shove his anxious feeling away, even after getting the text from Gayoung as he thought she'd be home by now as he checked it phone to find a bunch of texts and calls from Min-Jae, and Woo-Jin. 

 

"What happened?" He muttered, his heart beating loudly behind his chest and opened the texts only for his heart to sink in an unpleasant way and the next moment, he dashed out of the cabin with a fearful feeling erupting inside him, until he was in the elevator, swallowing the lump till he was running towards the emergency room without stopping as the text about Gayoung meeting an accident had him scared. 

 

The people, the nurses and his fellow doctors were shocked, yet surprised to see him running like that, but he could care less about it, because all he was hoping, and praying for her to be okay as if happening something to her, would bring a misery into his life and he didn't want it, he was afraid. 

 

As soon as he stopped by the room, he marched toward the bed where he could see Woo-Jin and Min-Jae standing, along with Yixing who happened to be at the room because of some emergency but found another one as he was worried about her, and Baekhyun whom he glanced at to find him walking towards them but the way he looked, so scared and panicked, had him more worried. 

 

Baekhyun stopped by the bed, as his eyes stopped at Gayoung's unconscious figure lying there where his gaze averted to her head injury which was treated by now, but his heart sank unpleasantly at the sight as he bit his trembling bottom lip to look at Woo-Jin. "How…. How's she?" 

 

"She's fine," Woo-Jin let out a sigh, checking her temperature through the thermometer. "Her fever is still high, and the head injury is a minor cut which has been treated, so we have put her in a good rest for a while since the high fever was because of the lack of rest." 

 

"Are you sure?" Baekhyun asked, his hand slightly shaking the moment it brushed against her burning hand, as he wanted to make sure about her well-being and Woo-Jin stared at him worryingly as he placed a hand on his shoulder. "Hyung, she's fine but we'll run a CT scan to be double sure." 

 

A wave of relief rushed into him, and he nodded, stepping back as his legs gave up to collide with a vacant bed behind him to plop there as he palmed his face with his torso leaned forward as he finally breathed out a sigh of relief. "Gosh, Gayoung," He muttered, as his holding back tears were pooled in his eyes like a burning sensation with a painful piercing in his heart. "Why do you have to torture me like this?" 

 

And that's when he realized that, this is what Gayoung must have felt, scared, unable to do anything, and that's how much she must have been relieved to have him in front of her, because that's exactly what he was feeling right now. 

 

Relieved, and grateful. 

 

Min-Jae stared at him with an understanding look, as he himself was scared as well being a brother and he was her husband, someone who loves her which he could see it visibly and it was something he was thankful for, where Yixing placed his hand on his shoulder with a gentle squeeze, knowing how hard it must have been for him. 

 

By the time, the family members got to know about it as they arrived to meet her but she hadn't been conscious yet and it was good for her to have a rest. After running a CT scan, a minor sprain in her wrist was located, as her wrist was bandaged with a plaster while shifted in a room. 

 

"How did it even happen?" Sung-min questioned, as he walked out after checking up on his bear from the room to find Min-Jae standing in the hallway, with Woo-Jin, and the other family members, and friends along with Baekhyun who was back from clocking out from his work, clad in his casuals now. 

 

Min-Jae told him everything to which Sung-min just sighed, as he turned to Baekhyun. "How are you feeling?" 

 

Baekhyun was confused, but still nodded. "I'm fine, and sorry, I should have held her back from going out knowing about her fever." 

 

"Why are you sorry?" He raised his eyebrows, offended by him. "I know how stubborn Gayoung can be, and I know you must have tried to stop her so it's okay, and it must have been hard for you too." 

 

Baekhyun didn't know if he should feel grateful for his understanding because he was feeling angry at himself, frustrated because he couldn't stop her, and at that moment, all he could do was nod with a harsh swallow of his lump. 

 

Since Gayoung was sleeping and having a good rest, everyone was leaving to come back tomorrow to meet her, whereas Baekhyun was going to stay here, and was in the outdoor area of the hallway, sitting on a bench, because he wouldn't be able to leave her alone, nor he would be able to stay home while relieved that his parents had arrived home so the kids were with them where he was worried about them in the evening if they were back home and that's when Mrs. Tae had informed him about Gayoung asking her to fetch them from school beforehand. 

 

And now he didn't know if he should get upset with her or not, because she could care about everyone around her yet couldn't do to herself and that thought hit him hard again like a blame in his heart for not being able to take care of her, and a wave of regret erupting in his heart about what ifs again. 

 

His torso leaned forward on his elbows on his lap, his head tilted down as he bit his lip pondering over his thoughts, as what if he had embraced the feeling quickly? What if he had given in to his feelings instead of frightening over the fear in his heart? What if he had confessed instead of hesitating? Yet his fear was presented right in front of him the moment he found her lying unconscious on the bed, not saying anything, not even moving and it shattered him. 

 

His eyes burned with his tears filling in his eyes, as he gulped, before feeling a hand on his shoulder as he looked up only to find Sung-min looking at him gently where Baekhyun instantly sat up straight, blinking his tears away. "Dodo, you're still here?" 

 

"I thought I should meet you before going home." He took a seat beside him, leaning against the bench with a sigh. "Are you regretting it now?" 

 

Baekhyun stared at him surprised, and Sung-min gave him a sad smile. "Fear it is, isn't it? Holding you back from something which makes you feel alive again, or losing something or someone which might hurt you later again but isn't that how life works?" 

 

Baekhyun could only blink at him as he looked down again with his heart welling up where he heard him again. "Fear consumes us, stopping us from living the life which we want because of the outcome, leaving us with nothing but what ifs, and it might be okay because we don't want to get hurt again, but sometimes it's not okay because it leaves us with nothing but regrets, so don't blame yourself, but try to see where your happiness lies and give in to it, so you won't fear it again."

 

He patted his back gently, giving him courage before standing up to leave where Baekhyun was seated still, grasping his words which did nothing but make sense now, and now all he could do is confront it, to pass the dreading feeling of his. 

 

Soon, he walked in the room after checking a file of reports of hers which was kept in his cabin now, as he checked it through about eighth time as of now to see if there was any fault but thankfully, there wasn't any before closing the door behind as he watched her lying figure on the bed, clad in the hospital clothes now where his steps stopped by the bed. 

 

His palm grazing her forehead to check her temperature with the thermometer again as the fever was going down now which had him relieved, before gulping at the sight of her plastered wrist by her side which reminded him of how the severe accident could have been, but he immediately refrained himself from getting into the negative thoughts to take a seat on the chair by the bed. 

 

His thumb slightly caressed the bandage over her eyebrow, while tucking her hair away from her face as he mumbled in a whisper. "Why do you have to be so stubborn, professor? You literally had me worried again." 

 

At the moment, his eyes took notice of her other hand to find her ring finger empty, as a frown crept between his eyebrows to look around where her things were placed neatly on the table beside, with her wristwatch and her earrings as he found the ring as well. 

 

Taking the ring, he grabbed her fine hand in a gentle tug to slip it through her finger before bringing her hand to his lips as he kissed her knuckles ever so softly as his eyes were closed at that moment, to place it back by her side still entwined with his hand as he caressed the back of her hand with his thumb. 

 

"Just wait for your scolding tomorrow." 

 

It was the last thing he mumbled, with his soft yet adoring eyes staring at her sleeping figure until the sleep had engulfed him right there, because the comfort in holding her hand was found nowhere else. 

 

 

___________

 

 

9:01 am

 

 

The silence of the room was enough in the place, enough to rest but a sudden feeling of dry throat had Gayoung gulp with a sore pain as her face scrunched at the feeling with a ache rushing her head like a drumming roll which had her eyes squinted to slowly open them to greet the white ceiling above. 

 

Closing her eyes again, to open them blinking once, twice, and thrice to adjust to the scene around as her mind finally adjusted to realize that she was in a hospital room, and yesterday's incident hit the back of her mind like a flash as her heartbeat rose anxiously at the glimpses which still sent chills down her spine because that's how much scared she was, but felt relieved to be here, alive. 

 

Because lots of regretful thoughts were going in her mind right now, and the first person her mind and heart could think was Baekhyun, then Areum and Seojun's faces flashed in her head like a longing enough to feel a tightness in her chest, enough to have her hand tightened against something but a realization hit her, that something was a hand, a hand she was familiar with, a hand which always feels warm against hers. 

 

Slightly, tilting her head to the side downwards, her eyes were greeted with Baekhyun, the person she wanted to see right now, the person she wanted to see in her dreading moment, while his head was hidden in his bent arm beside her holding her hand, as his crown of head was in her sight but it was enough for her lips to curve in a soft weak smile. 

 

A slight rush of pain rose in her wrist to which she attempted to check it but her arm unconsciously tightened against his hand, enough for him wake up from his sleep as he stirred with Gayoung freezing for a moment to watch him lifting his head to lock her eyes with his tired ones, as if he had a hard time sleeping before they widened. 

 

An unconscious chuckle left her lips as her words uttered out in a mere whisper. "What a sight." 

 

Another relief rose in his heart to finally seeing her alright, talking and smiling as he sighed, deeply before sitting up straight to stand up immediately with Gayoung staring at him confusingly only to feel his hand on her forehead and Baekhyun felt relaxed, as her fever was finally gone to lock eyes with her and for a moment they couldn't look away, too relieved, too grateful to be in each other's presences right now. 

 

"I," Gayoung uttered, but stopped by her dry itching throat and as if he understood, he bent over towards her leaving her breath hitched for a moment to find him helping her out sitting as he took the pillow behind her to make her lean against it where the glass of water was in front of her the next moment, as she reached out, taking it, but her hand was trembling feeling a sense of weakness in her body where, Baekhyun held the back of her head gently to bring the glass to her lips. 

 

A wave of warmth rushed into her heart at his gentle gesture, as she slowly took some sips of water to finally feel like alive as she leaned her lips away, with him placing the glass back on the table as the thick silence followed in the room with Gayoung's eyes averting to her plastered wrist to widen them with a gasp. "What happened to my arm?" 

 

She felt Baekhyun sitting at the edge of the bed, as she turned to him panicking to find him staring back at her as she spoke up. "Why is there plaster? Did my arm break? How? Why are you not saying-" 

 

Her words were cut off by him, throwing his arms around her shoulder as he engulfed her in a hug, leaving her frozen for a moment before feeling him sighing against her neck as his head buried in her shoulder where she felt his rapid heartbeat as he felt her warmth around him, something he was afraid not to feel again but now was grateful. 

 

And that's when she realized. 

 

He was worried, and now relieved like her. 

 

Her heart beamed with a warmth to bring her arm around his back, relieved to be in his arms, to feel his warmth which she was scared of losing at the frightening moment while patting his back gently which was her indirect way of telling him that 'I'm here'. 

 

They stayed in the embrace for a while, both of them finding it difficult to let go of the comforting warmth in each other's arms. 

 

However, as much as Gayoung liked the tightness of his arms around her, her body felt weak enough to feel stuffy as she mumbled against his neck. "Too tight." 

 

Baekhyun was quick to loosen up his grip to pull away his arms with a worried face as his hand reached out, caressing her cheekbone softly. "How are you feeling now? Do you feel uncomfortable somewhere?" 

 

Gayoung's heart fluttered, at his soft gesture as her pale face was finally erupting with the crimson color to immediately nod. "I'm better, just feeling a little weak." 

 

"That's a given." He nodded, peeking through her face as he couldn't get more relieved with Gayoung suddenly feeling nervous under her unwavering gaze before something hit her mind. "What about kids?" 

 

"They are fine," He trailed off, picking up the thermometer to place it right by her ear as he checked her temperature to find it gone for good before looking at her. "But scared after hearing about you, but mom and dad are home with them so don't worry, and rest." 

 

She felt guilty for some reasons, but more confused about him not talking about the accident or acting nonchalant unlike him who should be nagging her about her recklessness which, somehow she was looking forward to, but he didn't do it, or more like he didn't want to talk to her right now which left a disappointment in her heart. 

 

At the moment, the door opened, as both of them turned to find Woo-Jin standing there with an expectant expression of her sister to be conscious and he was relieved to see the sight he wanted to see, as he walked towards her standing by her bed with a smile. "Noona, are you feeling better?" 

 

Gayoung blinked at him. "Why are you calling me Noona," She paused to flicker her eyes to his batch to back to him innocently. "Dr. Lee?" 

 

Woo-Jin stared at her confused. "What? What do you mean? You don't remember me?" 

 

His face was almost at the verge of crying where Baekhyun stared at Gayoung with a done look, before Gayoung let out a chuckle. "Of course, I remember you, my idiot brother." 

 

Woo-Jin let out a whine as he sat down on the bed by the other side before giving her a glare. "You know, you scared everyone yesterday." 

 

Baekhyun stayed silent, where Gayoung just gave her little brother a guilty smile. "I know, sorry but what happened to my arm?" 

 

"Oh, you got a sprain in your wrist so watch it for a week." He said, looking at it intently with Gayoung sighing. "You mean to say that I have to go using one arm for a whole week? Like seriously?" 

 

He just rolled his eyes, before standing up as he looked at Baekhyun. "Hyung, you should go home and rest for a while since you stayed overnight, and Dodo and others will come to see her anyway." 

 

Gayoung glanced at Baekhyun with a surprised look yet a wave of bliss erupted in her heart. "You stayed?" 

 

Baekhyun met her eyes with an intent gaze. "I couldn't go home without you." 

 

His words left a warmth in her heart pleasantly as their eyes bored for a moment before frowning with a worried face. "Did you even sleep? Because you don't like sleeping without washing up though." 

 

Baekhyun was surprised that she remembered his little detail about him which somehow made him giddy inside to clear his throat. "I managed." 

 

Woo-Jin stared at them with an awkward face since they were being completely husband and wife which was accurate but he felt like a third wheel as he cleared his throat enough for them to snap out as Baekhyun turned to him. "Then, I'll be back in a few, so take care of her." 

 

"I can take care of myself." 

 

Both of them turned to her with a 'really' look while seeing her seated on the hospital bed didn't really match her words as she pouted, before looking at Baekhyun. "Can you bring Areum and Seojun with you? I want to see them." 

 

She yearned to see them, to hug them in her embrace and Baekhyun understood it, as he nodded. "Okay," He trailed off, his lips shutting yet he looked like he wanted to say something as he breathed out. "I'll be back." 

 

Gayoung stared at him, and nodded as she understood. "Okay." 

 

He left as Gayoung's eyes stayed still on the door, until Woo-Jin's head popped up in front of her startling her as she gasped, to bring her arm up to hit him only to wince as she accidentally brought her plastered arm up and Woo-Jin gasped. "Careful!" 

 

"You scared me!" 

 

"And you don't deserve to be a patient," He glared at her before sighing. "Just stay still for a while until Baekhyun hyung comes back then do whatever you want." 

 

"Seriously?" 

 

"Yep, seriously, because you should have seen him yesterday-" 

 

His phone buzzed, interrupting him as he fished out to see an emergency call for him as he looked up at Gayoung with a sigh. "I'll get back to work, so stay still and your phone is on the table so don't feel bored." 

 

Gayoung just gave him a nod, still frustrated with the interruption of their talk as she wanted to know what he meant by his words about Baekhyun, and it left her with curiosity to sigh dejectedly as he walked out. 

 

"What happened yesterday?" 

 

 

__________

 

 

9:58 am

 

 

"Serves you right for not listening to my girlfriend, and your husband." 

 

Yixing claimed, standing in front of Gayoung's bed in his scrubs with a white coat over him, as he gave her a look while Gayoung agaped. "Seriously?" 

 

"Stop guilt ripping her." Yoora glared at him as she caressed Gayoung's arm gently while seated on the chair beside her as she gave her a smile. "But you should have been careful too." 

 

Gayoung pouted. "I know, and literally everyone has told me that so can you please stop?" 

 

Yixing chuckled. "Okay." 

 

Baekhyun still hasn't arrived at hospital, as well as her friends too whom she had talked to on her phone to find about their arrival later as they were occupied with their work, while her dad and Dodo met her as they had to be at their work while left with a little scolding of theirs with a love and worry behind it. 

 

Young-MI was yet to arrive, and Gayoung just knew what was coming and she was right when the door opened, revealing her mother with some stuff in her hands which was probably the fruits, like every mother would do yet a warming smile graced her lips to see her as the next minute, she walked toward her to engulf her in a hug as some sniffles were heard from her. 

 

"Gosh, my baby, I was so worried." She cooed, patting her head where Yixing and Yoora watched the scene with a smile as Gayoung teared up too, before leaning away with a smile. "I'm really fine, mom." 

 

"You call this fine?" She pointed towards the injury above her eyebrow and her plastered wrist before taking a seat at the edge of her bed as she peeked through her face. "God, look how weak you look." 

 

Gayoung sighed. "I wouldn't get weak in a day, mom." 

 

"Be quiet." She shot a glare for her to immediately stop as she fiddled with the stuff to fish out an apple. "You wouldn't like the hospital's food, so I brought you some fruits to energize you." 

 

Gayoung just sighed, looking at Yoora and Yixing who had an amused smile on their faces which she just chuckled it away, where her lips parted to utter about her won't be able to eat anything, another voice erupted by the door just at the moment. 

 

"She won't eat it, mom." 

 

Everyone turned to find Baekhyun standing there, changed into his new clothes now, where Gayoung found a plastic bag in his hands as she tilted her head in confusion until Baekhyun spoke again. "She hasn't brushed her teeth yet, so she won't like it before it." 

 

Gayoung stared at him, surprised by the fact that he had noticed the small detail about her where Young-MI took a moment to realize that she forgot about her this habit while Baekhyun remembered it which made her happy. 

 

Turning back to Gayoung, she gave her a guilty smile. "I forgot, then brush your teeth and eat up." 

 

Gayoung nodded, before looking at Baekhyun with an expectant expression where slightly stepped aside and the next second, she found her little beans coming inside as an overwhelming sensation rushed into her heart enough for her eyes to turn teary but she wasn't the only one, as Areum and Seojun ran towards her with their welling up eyes. 

 

Young-MI stood up to step aside, as Yoora helped Gayoung to sit properly as her legs dropped by the edge of the bed, where both of the kids were quick to crush themselves against their mother's embrace with Gayoung wrapping on arm around Seojun then her head against Areum since she couldn't use her other hand. 

 

Soon, she felt Baekhyun sitting next to her as she felt the brushing shoulder against hers, while his lips in a smile with his teary eyes as he caressed their little ones' heads who were sobbing as Seojun looked up at her with his teary eyes. "I was so scared, mommy." 

 

Gayoung's heart sank at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter