004

Once Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

❝Sometimes, beautiful things come into our lives out of nowhere. We can't always understand them, but we have to trust in them. I know you want to question everything, but sometimes it pays to just have a little faith❞ - Lauren Kate.

 _________________

 

 

“How about you two get married?”

 

Silence. 

 

A pin drop silence. 

 

Sung-min and Mr Byun peeked back and forth to the pair with a hesitant look while the pair was too shocked to be even blinking as they were seated there motionless for a moment. 

 

Before they could have even grasped the situation, Baekhyun's phone rang loudly snapping him out as he cleared his throat, fishing out his phone to see it was from his mother and he knew the reason behind it was probably for Areum. 

 

“We'll take our leave, Mr. Lee.” 

 

Baekhyun stood up, and he bowed to Sung-min who gave him a nod, not even surprised by his good manners and his silence right now because he had just brought a sensitive topic in front of them so it was obvious to be shocked but it something had to be brought up for the better change ahead. 

 

Mr Byun also stood up, watching his son walking away where he exchanged a look of understanding with Sung-min who nodded back before he followed his son outside. 

 

“Let's go home, Dodo.” 

 

Sung-min let out a sigh, knowing that he had thrown a bomb since Gayoung was silent, and he knew he would definitely get a hearing at home before standing up to walk alongside with his granddaughter who seemed upset but still had linked her arm around his to walk as she was still his worried granddaughter. 

 

 

_________________

 

 

11:20 am 

 

 

Clad in his scrubs, Baekhyun leaned forward on his elbows on the couch with a coffee mug in his hands as he traced his finger over the handle while his friends chatting about something which he couldn't get his attention onto because his mind was occupied by the scene happened at the park earlier. 

 

Getting home, he had spent his time with Areum before he left for his work, and his dad had let him because he knew he had to adapt to the situation for them to have a talk later. 

 

There was no doubt that he was shocked and even though he didn't look back at Gayoung again after exiting the park, he knew she was also as shocked and blank as he was right now. 

 

“He seems lost.” Yoora spoke, peeking at Baekhyun through her serious eyes and Yixing mirrored her look toward him too while leaning his side toward Yoora. “So, should we find him?”

 

Yoora gave him a boring look at his laughter. “You need to update your humor.” 

 

Yixing rolled his eyes. “And you need humor in your life.”

 

“And you both need to shut up.” 

 

Both of them turned to Baekhyun who was giving them a done look as Yixing shook his head, leaning back against the couch with a smile. “Not happening.”

 

“Yep, not happening.” Yoora nodded, leaning against her swivel chair of her cabin, watching him with a serious expression. “So, what's bothering you?” 

 

Baekhyun sighed, taking a sip of his coffee. “The marriage topic.” 

 

Both Yoora and Yixing sat up straight, as the topic and room has gotten serious because it was as they have seen Baekhyun going through it before, and in fact they wanted the same thing for him as after the loss of their friend, his life has solely been around Areum and for Areum.

 

It was like he had forgotten to live for himself, so they wanted this because maybe it was the only thing to get him out of his shell to live his life which he was missing out on and which he deserved to live.

 

“It's not the first time you've been asked to.” Yixing stated, and Baekhyun nodded. “It's not but it's the first time I have been asked with a person I never thought of.”

 

Yoora's forehead creased. “Who?”

 

“Mr. Lee Sung-min's granddaughter, Lee Gayoung.” Baekhyun said, where Yoora and Yixing had their eyes widened as Yixing gasped. “Wait- my patient? Mr Lee? Her granddaughter? Lee Gayoung?”

 

Baekhyun gave him a look. “That's what I said.”

 

“It's because I am shocked, okay?” Yixing frowned. “But she's a single mother you know.”

 

“How do you know that?” Baekhyun asked, as far he knows, Mr Lee hardly spoke about Gayoung in front of them and Yixing shrugged. “She came along with him once with her son but how did you two meet to get arranged already?”

 

“We're not arranged.” Baekhyun frowned, “And we just met coincidentally a few times and today at the park too.”

 

Yixing nodded, before both of them looked towards Yoora who had been silent throughout the whole conversation as Baekhyun tilted his head. “What are you thinking about?”

 

“What are you gonna do about it?”

 

And that was her question, her direct words toward him as what he wanted to do now and Baekhyun let out another sigh with a shrug. “I don't know yet.”

 

“Think about it, and please think positively about it.” Yoora leaned forward placing her arms on the table. “Because it's also time for you to move on too.”

 

Baekhyun blinked a couple of times blankly as he his lips before taking another sip. “I have moved on.”

 

“But you're still holding on to it.” Yixing pointed out, making Baekhyun to go silent as he swallowed, meeting their eyes with a light smile. “It's... It's not that easy.”

 

“It doesn't have to be, but you have to because you still have a life ahead waiting for you.” Yoora gave him an understanding smile to which Baekhyun reciprocated but couldn't say anything back as he was trying to do but it still felt a difficult thing to do.

 

“Now get out, both of you, my break is going to be over now.” Yoora waved her hand towards them to shoo them away, causing both males to roll their eyes but they still glued to the couch with a much comfortable position.

 

“You both are impossible!”

 

Yoora groaned, making them laugh as they continued to bother her till she had left the cabin on her own.

 

Their conversation has gotten lighter after the serious talk which was needed, and the same was needed somewhere else too as Gayoung had let out whatever had happened this morning to her friends who were gathered in her cabin today. 

 

Going back to her home with her grandfather, she didn't spoke or questioned anything which she was supposed to, because the scene was still lingering in her mind like a shock and before she could have adapt to the situation, her grandfather had taken his leave to his office with his father while her mother duties had called her to Seojun. 

 

“What?!” 

 

Ji-hu exclaimed, leaning forward his arms over the table, almost hitting the papers on the table to fall but Gayoung was fast enough to hold them as she shot a glare at him while placing them back properly. “Stop being so loud, this is not your home.”

 

“But it's shocking!”

 

“Like we don't know that.” Soo-Ah stated, frowning at him before her eyes softened toward Gayoung who had gotten back to her lost self as she heaved a worried sigh. “You can talk it out now.”

 

“I don't know what to say?” Gayoung shrugged, leaning her head back against the headrest of her chair as she looked up at the ceiling. “I have been asked numerous times about the marriage proposals, but it's the first time that Dodo has brought up this topic and that too, someone which was an impossible thing to do.”

 

“Why is it impossible?” Soo-Ah questioned, placing her fist over her cheek to give Gayoung a serious expression. “As far as I know, he's a single father so I don't think it's impossible for him to get married again and for you to get married to him.”

 

Soo-Ah, the ever smart and logical person, who always makes people shut by her straightforward yet accurate words which would make anybody feel blank and Gayoung was feeling just that. 

 

“For the first time, I agree with our ice-lady.” Ji-hu nodded, with a satisfied grin toward Soo-Ah who rolled her eyes at the name before he looked back at Gayoung seriously. “We don't know what's impossible or possible right at this moment but what you can do is to talk it out with Dodo because he's the one who brought this up so, I'm sure he definitely has something better for you in his mind.” 

 

Gayoung had to agree because her Dodo always had something better for her, and so even if she was confused and blank at the moment, she knew she had to talk it out with him to solve the impossible or possible thoughts in her mind. 

 

“I agree with this dumbo.” Soo-Ah nodded, making Gayoung and Ji-hu gasp together as Gayoung cupped dramatically. “Did you just agree with him? Him? This dumbo?!”

 

“Yah, I'm not a dumbo, okay!” Ji-hu shouted, and got a slap by both females as Soo-Ah groaned. “Stop being loud, dumbo!” 

 

“Yah, I'm a respected coach here and this is how you both treat me!” He whined, rubbing his arm as the impact was too strong for such small females and Soo-Ah nodded. “Yep, so get out.” 

 

“Nope, because this is not your cabin, ice-lady.”

 

“But it's mine so get out.” Gayoung gave him a tight smile making Soo-Ah to chuckle and Ji-hu rolled his eyes. “Fine, just you wait for the weekend and see how you both don't get your fried chicken!” 

 

He instantly got up to leave as Gayoung and Soo-Ah gasped together. “Yah, come back!”

 

Soon the time had struck 5 in the evening and Gayoung was already pulling her car up over the gate of Seojun's school, as she got out of the car to find some childrens walking through the gate while her feet took her inside only to stumble over a bump over her legs. 

 

Jumping back, she took a hold of the kid who just bumped into her, who turned around to be Areum herself as Gayoung gasped. “Areum, are you okay?! Are you hurt?” 

 

Areum's lips curved in a smile to see the way Gayoung was checking up on her with a concerned face and Areum nodded. “I'm okay, Gayoung Auntie.”

 

A sigh of relief left her lips as her hand caressed her cheek softly. “Don't run like that again okay?” 

 

“Mommy!”

 

A chuckle left Gayoung's lips as his son's ever enthusiastic exclamation and before she knew it, Seojun had thrown his arms around her tightly as he looked up at her with a bright smile. “I was waiting for you!” 

 

“And I'm here!” Gayoung leaned down to kiss his forehead, before looking at Areum who was now standing with Mrs. Tae as they were talking about something where Seojun tapped Gayoung's hand to get her attention which he did as she looked at him questionly. 

 

“Look at my plane!” Seojun exclaimed, showing the paper plane in his hands before looking over at Areum. “Areum drew this Spiderman for me and now we're besties!” 

 

“Besties?” 

 

“Yes, besties!” Areum exclaimed, nodding with a smile toward them. “And Seojun let me borrow his white color too so we're besties now!” 

 

Gayoung couldn't help but smile widely as how little things of care and kindness can lead to a good friendship. “Then can I be Areum's bestie as well?” 

 

Areum's eyes twinkled as she bobbed her head cutely making Seojun smile too, as he took her hand while the other hand was holding Gayoung's hand where Areum held Gayoung's other hand as the three of them swung it lightly. 

 

“Now we're besties!”

 

Mrs. Tae Bo-yun was all smiley at the sight, and heart warmed to see Areum being so happy around the new people since it takes her a while to get comfortable but seeing the change, had her heart smiling. 

 

Four of them had parted their ways from the school, as Gayoung had reached her home with Seojun in her arms who couldn't stop talking about his day while his arms around her neck to have his legs around her waist as they walked through the door inside. 

 

As soon as she entered their living room, her eyes spotted her grandfather and the flashback of the scene that happened this morning had crossed her head, where she noticed the sudden change of atmosphere in the house and she knew that her grandfather had already talked about it with them. 

 

“Dodo!” 

 

Seojun exclaimed, wriggling from her mother's embrace as Gayoung put him down gently where he ran towards his great grandfather with a smile, standing right in front of him before immediately starting to talk about whatever happened today. 

 

Gayoung could feel the unreadable yet somehow worrisome gazes from her mother and father in the living room where Min-Jae had a look which she couldn't decipher into while Woo-Jin was as usual, the worried little brother of hers. 

 

Gayoung knew she had to talk and everyone was just waiting for her to do it because she knew her family wouldn't force her into anything which she doesn't want to do, so with a heavy heart, she turned to her grandfather. 

 

“Dodo,” She called out to him, as he averted his eyes from Seojun to her and she swallowed. “Shall we have a talk?”

 

Sung-min nodded, because he was waiting for her to do it, and he stood up as Seojun peeked through both of them confusingly but Min-Jae and Woo-Jin had diverted his attention to them as now they were having some conversation with him while Gayoung was walking to her room with her grandfather.

 

They had taken a seat on the couch of her room, as Gayoung was silent waiting for her grandfather to speak and he cleared his throat, glancing at her to find her head tilted down. “I know, you're surprised by what happened in the morning and more because I did it but you do know that I don't do anything without any reason.” 

 

Gayoung nodded, as her eyes met his eyes weakly. “I know Dodo. And that's why I wasn't angry but it's just something so confusing and impossible to happen and you already know what happened last time, right?” 

 

Yes. It wasn't the first time she had gotten a marriage proposal, she had left with a disappointment in her marriage so she had no expectations for another one but as a mother, she was concerned for Seojun as he didn't have a father figure in his life so she wanted to fulfill it. 

 

But again, her life had given her the disappointment and so she wasn't ready for another one, not for Seojun this time as she couldn't let him get hurt. 

 

“I know, and I was against it every time because I know they weren't any better.” He trailed off, as he reached out caressing her head. “But this time it's different, and I know them personally and I know you know that I'm right about it.”

 

“You think I don't know how you're always worried about Seojun? That just because he doesn't ask about his dad, it doesn't mean that he doesn't want a father figure in his life? I have seen it, and you have seen that as well how he feels happy around Baekhyun and how Areum feels happy around you.” 

 

He added, and Gayoung's heart welled up thinking about it, as a lump formed in because it was true, she knew it and she had seen it. 

 

She sighed, hiding her face in her palms as tears formed in her eyes. “I don't know, Dodo and I'm just worried about what ifs.” 

 

“Gayoung, I know what you are worried about but you shouldn't compare everything with your past, life is about hardships but it's not always about it, it has so much more stored for you and all you have to do is to take a chance, and a little faith in it.”

 

Gayoung looked at him with her bloodshot eyes, and Sung-min's heart dropped as he immediately pulled her into a hug where Gayoung hugged him tightly, breaking into faint sobs as he caressed her head softly. 

 

“Can you put a little bit of faith in your Dodo too?” He asked, but Gayoung didn't say anything, making him sigh. “I won't force you, I would never do that because the decision is all yours to make because it's your life, because it's your happiness and I want my Gayoung and Seojun to be happy.” 

 

“Dodo!”

 

The door burst opened, startling them as Seojun stood at their door frame, staring at the sight confusingly but it turned into a concerning one when he saw tears in his mother's eyes and the next moment, he was standing in front of her. “Mommy, why are you crying?”

 

“I'm not,” Gayoung trailed off, as a smile crept on her lips with her hands caressing Seojun's cheek. “Dodo told me a very funny joke and I was laughing hard so that's why.”

 

Being the innocent one, he nodded as he grinned cutely toward him. “Dodo, tell me too!” 

 

“Okay, let's go out then!”

 

Sung-min held his hand as he took him out along with him and left Gayoung in her tangling thoughts which she had yet to untangle. 

 

__________________

 

 

7:22 pm 

 

 

The moment Baekhyun entered his home, his ears were filled with the giggles he was used to, and the giggles he loved to hear and which always bring a smile on his lips just like right now. As he walked further, into the living room to find Areum with her grandparents on the couch as they were having a conversation with her about something which happened at her school. 

 

“Dad!” 

 

Areum's enthusiastic erupted, as she immediately hopped off the couch to run toward Baekhyun who instantly had lifted her up to embrace her in his embrace with a wide smile while walking towards the couch. “Did something good happen at school?” 

 

“Yes!” 

 

She exclaimed, making Baekhyun shut his eyes as her loud voice wasn't good for his ears, making Areum to giggle instantly as she waited for her dad to sit down so she could elaborate more to him as she sat on his lap while reaching out to show her drawings to him. 

 

“Look at this, I won the drawing competition!” Her eyes twinkled, and Baekhyun stared at her artwork before giving her a head kiss with a smile “Wow, my princess is amazing!” 

 

“Right?” She giggled, “And you know Seojun was being naughty again but he gave me his colors because I lost my white color so we're besties and Gayoung Auntie is my bestie now!” 

 

Baekhyun smiled, but his mind had crossed the words from the morning after hearing Seojun's name as Gayoung's face flashed in his head which made him tilt his head towards his father sitting by another couch. 

 

Baekhyun was waiting to come home, so he could talk it out with dad, and he knew his dad was waiting for it too as he looked back at him with an expectant expression to which Baekhyun sw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter