IV – Ocean Eyes

Season's of Love

Eunbi was dribbling the ball at the free throw line, trying her best to concentrate with mind and body conditioning.

“Basketball was just like dancing; all I need is muscle coordination and focus” She whispers to herself confidently.

Her eyes focuses on the ring when the P.E. teacher whistles, signaling her to make a shot. She held the ball close to her chest, just underneath her chin. With her knees bent, the ball was released by her quick leg and arm extension.

While that was the longest 1 second of her life, everyone from their team was expecting a good shot including Yuna. But she hilariously fails on her third try.

“The ball hardly reaches the ring, don’t you have a single muscle on your arms?” Devastated by the result, Yuna whispered to Eunbi when she reaches the bench.

“Then go try it yourself” She challenges her.

In no time, Yuna stands at the free throw line and make a shot. Eunbi’s jaw dropped and everyone celebrates when the ball made a perfect shot.

“If Daniel is the king of Court, Yuna is the perfect Queen!” Eunha who seemed to be Daniel and Yuna’s no. 1 fan shouted.

“Can you shut up?” Says Eunbi who was sitting right beside.

Yuna didn’t mind them and finishes her 3rd shot with no miss at all and glanced at Eunbi, saying “That’s how you make a shot”.

Their team won the Female shooting game by the lead from Yuna’s points.

Their 2nd game Archery requires strength focus and steadiness. It was Eunbi, Yuna and Eunha against So Jung, Yerin and Yewon for the finale.

While the opposing team’s Yerin and Yewon are scoring high with 9 and 10’s, Yuna keeps missing because of her poor eyesight. This brings out Eunha and Eunbi’s competitiveness, hitting bull’s eye one after another.

This time, it was Eunbi who teasingly winked at Yuna. Showing how to make a perfect shot that resulted to their win at the end.

For their 3rd and final game, they must play a dodgeball and eliminate the opposing team in a minute.

Still together in one team, Yuna and Eunbi tried their best to dodge every ball trying to hit every inch of their body. They were 5 seconds away from winning but while trying to dodge the ball, Yuna trips over and accidentally gets a grip on Eunbi’s shoulder. This mishap caused the two fell on the ground with Yuna on Eunbi’s top. Also Eunbi’s head hitting the ground as well as the ball landing on both of them.

This marks their first lose on the three games. It was not a big deal but their pride was hurt more than their body.

Although the two insisted they were perfectly fine, they were brought together to the clinic for a check up due to Eunbi’s head and Yuna’s wounded knees.

While at the clinic, Jackson who helped them to get there was holding the cold compress at the back of Eunbi’s head while the nurse cleans up the wound on Yuna’s knee.

“Do you need anything? Like something to eat?” Jackson asks with concern marks on his face.

“Thank you but I was perfectly fine. You can now go back to the class, I’ll stay here for a while to take some rest. The games are too tiring.” Eunbi reassures him while complaining at the same time.

Yuna was just silently watching how Jackson shows his concern on the other girl.

When Jackson and the nurse leaves the room after making sure the two are all fine, Yuna and Eunbi were left together in an awkward feeling.

“How are you…” They said at the same time.

“You go first” Eunbi humbly gives way.

“I’m sorry for what happened earlier” Yuna apologized.

“It’s ok, we were both hurt anyway”

“I’m especially sorry because of how my hand landed on you” She explained

“You really don’t need to mention that” Eunbi replies while trying to contain her embarrassment.

But the two can’t help but laugh away their clumsiness and memory of how Yuna’s hand landed on Eunbi’s private part when they fell.

While the two are laughing with the same thought, Eunbi realizes how deep is Yuna’s eyes when the girl is having fun. Her smile brightens without realizing the reason of it.

“Anyway, you’re lucky to have someone like Jackson taking care of you” Yuna suddenly mentions.

“As if I want someone like him doing it for me, we’re just friends” She replies.

“Really? You seem to have a lot of guy friends”

“Well, guys and girls can be friends” Eunbi explains.

“Is that’s so?”

“You’re the one lucky here, two guys chasing to win your heart” Eunbi teasingly said.

“Two guys who? Aside from Mon Bin, who luckily stops annoying me for some time now”

“Good to know, he’s really keeping his promise” Eunbi thought.

“How about Daniel? Didn’t he like you?” Eunbi asks out of pure curiosity.

“Like me? Stop making assumptions, it’s not like he cares about things like this”

“Didn’t he just…” She stops talking when she almost spilled what she saw a week before.

“He what?”

“I thought he is already your suitor? Everyone seems to find the two of you a perfect couple”

“Suitor? He cannot even admit his feelings. Up until now, only fate can tell whether we will end up together or not.”

 “Up until now? So the rumors are true that you two like each other since first year high?”

She receives no answer from Yuna with that question. Enough to assume that silence means yes.

“If you like him and he’s not brave enough, why don’t you try courting him”

“What! never in anyone’s wildest dream!” Yuna protests.

 And besides, women can never court men” She added.

“Women can court men, as well as be friends with them” Eunbi teased.

“Whatever. Whether a woman can court a man or not, that was so unlikely of me”

 

[January 2030 - Present time]

Eunbi: “I am not sure if she remembers that first time we talk like friends, she’s holding back a lot with her words but her ocean eyes tells it all.”

Eunha: “Can we at least go get some drinks instead of sitting in front of Han River on a cold freezing weather?”

Eunha complains after listening to almost an hour of her friend’s life-time drama. But she somehow understand because Eunbi has always been like that every time the cold weather came.