1st Part: I - Spring of March

Season's of Love

It is their last year in high school before graduation. Group projects, thesis, case studies, and exams are coming left and right, members and leaders were being chosen.

Eunbi was active in extra-curricular activities like sports and cheer leading while studying well at the same time. She is literally the Queen-B while she was in Class-B before the pandemic happened. So technically she never had personal attachments with her current classmates in Class-A until face-to-face classes started that spring. She blended well in no time anyway and that was one of her strengths.

Yuna on the other hand was a straight class president since 1st year and has been with her block mates since then. Aside from studying well and attending meetings for school activities, she is an outstanding choir member of their church who gives off exemplary moral and values at her age.

The first problem: 10 out of their 15 group activities, these two-alpha happened to be in the same group. They said the presence of two dominance-oriented women in one group might be an advantage or a power struggle to the group maybe? Finding out the answer is yet to come.

But as they said “There can only be one Queen in a Kingdom”

“For the leader position, anyone wanted to try?” Yuna breaks the silence after serving 15 minutes of awkward air in the group.

“Do we need to choose if we already have you” One member confidently replied but was secretly elbowed by another.

“Dancing was never my forte” Yuna replied.

The members exchange glances before all eyes landed on the girl opposite to Yuna’s direction.

“Since this activity is dance related, why don’t we try Ms. Hwang Eunbi?” One member suggested.

“What?” Eunbi who was silent all the time frowned from the sudden nomination.

“Good suggestion. If there are no objections, let’s go with Eunbi’s lead then” Yuna replied while everyone seems to agree.

“Alright, tomorrow at 1pm after lunch there is no scheduled event at the gym so let us gather for a practice. Ms. Hwang Eunbi, please prepare the choreography today so we can go smooth tomorrow. I’m leaving this group into you” Yuna commanded and didn’t wait for Eunbi’s reply. She bids goodbye immediately for a student governance meeting.

“We haven’t really started anything yet but I’m already questioning my leadership” Eunbi whispered to herself.

“Hey, don’t misunderstood Yuna’s behavior. She has jam packed schedule and might want things fast as possible, you know President things” One member tapped her shoulder.

“But she’s behaving quite different earlier, did you piss her off before?” Another member asked.

“What? me? Of course not!” She denied and shook her head aggressively.

...

[Flashback - 2 years ago]

Yuna, who is the current school student president take a round in their school facilities as part of her daily task as an officer. It was already quite dark at 6pm and silence has been ringing in her ears while walking on the hall until she heard some cracking noise near the gym. She is walking with lighter steps until her hand reaches the door and as soon as she pushes it open, a popping sound echoes the gym and the lights turn on.

Rose petals and confetti started dancing like snowflakes around her.

When Yuna cleared her eyes, she saw this girl named Eunbi smiling widely right beside. She's wondering what was just happening and what is all of this about.

“I Like you CHOI YUNA” a huge banner fell in front of the wall with those words written on it.

Footsteps from behind caught her attention and a young man holding a bouquet of flowers started walking towards her, wearing a gentle smile. She is dumbfounded until she realized the young good-looking man is already standing in front of her.

As per her observation, it is obviously a love confession. But her eyes speak too many questions.

“Moon bin? What do you think you are…”

“I like you” He cuts her short with those words and extended his arms, offering the bouquet of flowers.

Yuna gave a minute of silence while looking into his eyes, trying to read how serious is this guy.

“What do you think you’re doing?” She sarcastically asked.

“I am sorry for what I have done in the past, but this is how I really feel for you. If you let me, I will court you” He answered, still holding the bouquet.

Yuna crossed her arms while standing firm and deeply exhaled before speaking.

“First of all, public display of affection like this was written against the student code of conduct. Second, school facility such as gym was heavily restricted for school activities, events, and official use only.  Third, you have been messing up on me and playing pranks like a young boy in our whole middle school and now what? you are courting me? If you just want to say sorry to make it up, just say so and do not come to this extent. Ever, again.” She warned on a cold tone.

“And you two, please clean this mess before 7pm or I’ll report you for littering and multiple violations of student code of conduct”

She gave both Moonbin and Eunbi some death glares before turning back and walks away in dismay.

[End of flashback]

 

The next day, that memory lingers on Eunbi when she saw Yuna at the gym and it creeps the hell out of her body. Although no one has ever known that event aside the three of them, she’s still embarrassed that she’s part of that total failure courting of her friend.

“Nothing can beat that straightforward rejection” She sigh as she enters the facility, trying to be her professional self as a dance leader for their waltz performance.

“1,2,3 step backward with your right foot and 1,2,3, step forward with your left. Repeat and follow me” She commanded.

Whatever type of dance, cheer leading, modern, traditional, or folk dance it is, she was quite meticulous when teaching steps. Her strict vocal tone echoes the gym for quite a while, watching each of her member's move and their synchronicity.

After days of practice, she evaluates them if they were all ready to present.

“Yuna, work on your feet. You keep stepping on your partner.”

“You’re so stiff, move your shoulder smoothly”

“Yuna, keep counting in your head with the beat of the music so you can follow along”

After several mentions of Yuna’s name and the tension felt by the other members are building up, Eunbi lets everyone take a rest.

“I’ve never seen Yuna followed a student’s strict lead before” One member commented

“Two days ago, those two had clashing ideas about the war of current, that AC and DC thing while trying to light a bulb” 

“They even asked us to vote for the best introductory draft of our research paper between 10 samples that were all made by the two of them”

“Please do not remind me of that, my head already aches by just watching them fight for what temperature serves the best consistency of cookies we baked yesterday but it ends up being soggy”

“They’re both good with studies and theories but I can tell neither of them knows how to cook” The other one teasingly said.

“Those two seriously, should never stay on the same group”

“There’s no need to mention the obvious”

“At this point, we’re like pawns of two chess masters”

While their members were exchanging handful of complains, Eunbi walks toward Yuna who was quietly sitting at the floor. She offered a bottle of water before sitting beside her to start a conversation.

“You’re not so focused today” Eunbi whispered.

“How can I focus if your friend keeps tagging along in every activity that includes you in my group?” She sarcastically answered and both glanced on Moonbin who was staring at them from the bench.

“Don’t tell me it’s a coincidence he’s at the library while we’re doing our research study? At the cafeteria while we’re building samples, at the grocery store while we’re buying ingredients for yesterday’s baking class? And today?”

Eunbi just shuts while listening to Yuna as she expresses her annoyance.

“And this, see these messages coming from him”

Eunbi tried to contain her laughter after seeing Moonbin’s messages to Yuna that consists of lame jokes, old flirting style and asking for an almost impossible coffee date.

“Now you find it funny?”

“No, I’m sorry” Eunbi tries to clear .

“It’s my fault for telling him my errands that includes you. I sincerely apologize for that, I just thought it will help him get close to you” She explained.

“If you want to help your friend, teach him how to be decent and learn to accept a simple rejection. As a woman, would you like it if someone lurks around you?”

“Okay, but let me get it clear to you that Moonbin was not a guy you think he is. Sometimes he was just there to wait and hang out with me after my school activities and it was just a bonus for him to see you where I go. But if it makes you uncomfortable then I’ll talk to him about it”

“Be sure then”

“But I hope he’s not the reason why you’re treating me differently and keep opposing my ideas. Although I am his friend, please don’t see me as his shadow and don’t extend your annoyance from him to me” Eunbi replied.

“I never did that” Yuna replied.

“I hope so”

After the short break, the group proceeded on their practice for some more time and Eunbi tries to personally help Yuna catch on steps. But this time, Eunbi can't help but secretly smile every time Yuna makes mistake.

"Her mind really works differently from her body" Eunbi thought to herself.

 

to be continued...