Love Scene

I'm the Devil and this is my hell, so I make the rules

“You know I have other clients, right?” Junmyeon opens his suitcase, pulling out several folders and dropping them over Kai’s desk. “If you’re going to request something, do it with more time in advance.”

“Yes, yes… I’ll keep it in mind next time,” Kai says, reaching out for them and checking the documents inside. “But regardless of the time, you’re always spot on.”

“That’s what I’m being paid for.” Junmyeon sits down. “I also have some information.”

Kai raises an eyebrow; he sets down the documents. If Junmyeon has information, that means that people have been talking, probably about the previous events. “Are people gossiping?”

“People are, indeed.” Junmyeon is whispering, leaning over the desk. “Rumor has it they’re planning an attack.”

“I expected it,” Kai sighs. “I’m sure they won’t stop there. However, I have a strange feeling.”

“About what?”

“Have you heard by any chance of any losses on anyone’s team?” Kai asks instead. If he can find to which organization the men that Jongin killed belong, then they would be closer to finding out who’s behind it all. Although part of him is believing that more than one person is behind this. The previous attacks were calculated, precise. The timing was right, and they left no trace. However, this last one was very sloppy, and it felt improvised. As if they made a mistake or…

… Or two very different people were calling the shots.

“No, but I’ll keep an ear out for any information.” Junmyeon stands up with a groan. “I’ll be heading out, and next time call with more time, or you won’t have these ready.”

Kai chuckles. “I love you too, Kim Junmyeon.”

The other ignores him as he heads out the door and as soon as he was out of sight Minseok walked into the office. “Choi Chungho is here for your meeting, sir.”

Kai sighs, taking the documents Junmyeon brought. “Lead him to the conference room, please.”

Choi Chungho looks just as young and lost as Kai remembers. The man was sitting at the large table, looking around as if he had never been in a conference room before. Kai chuckles as he approaches.

“Mr. Choi, always a pleasure,” Kai speaks, and the man immediately stands up and bows politely.

Cute.

“Mr. Kim… thanks for agreeing to meet with me. I heard you had a situation a few days ago, so I didn’t know if you could see me today.” He blinks repeatedly, scratching the back of his head. He looks so impressionable.

“Thankfully, my brother and I are fine. People often forget who they’re dealing with.” Kai sits down and so does the other man. “Even I avoid upsetting Jongin.”

“I would bet it’s not wise,” Chungho smiles. Kai has a hard time imagining how on earth Mr. Choi decided it was a good idea to put such an inexperienced man in charge of his entire organization. His only guess is that blood is blood.

“Yes, but you must be here for the documents.” Kai slides over a copy. “You can either review them now or take them back to review carefully. If you have any issues, I’m a phone call away.”

The boy takes the document, his eyes scan over it quickly, and he looks overwhelmed. “I will read it over carefully and let you know what I think, then. I promise it won’t be long.”

Kai sighs, shaking his head. “Take your time. You have the weight of an entire organization on your shoulders now.”

The other man nods. “Thank you for your patience, Mr. Kim.”

“No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.”

There’s a knock on the door and Minseok steps in. “You have an important call, boss.”

“I’ll be right there,” he smiles at Minseok. “Well, if you’ll excuse me. Duty calls.”

“Yes, of course.”

Kai watches as the man leaves the office area, one of his secretaries has to show him the way when he gets lost down the hallway. Kai can only shake his head and laugh at this situation. He has a feeling Choi’s empire will not be lasting a lot longer.

“Minseok…” Kai turns to his assistant, who hands him his cellphone.

“Mr. Do is on the phone.”

Kai smiles, taking the phone and patting Minseok’s cheek, to which he only responds with a sigh. “Thank you.”

Jongin parks his motorcycle outside of the Do residence. He’s there for the third time in less than two weeks and it’s feeling like a setup. Starting with the way Kai suddenly was busy that afternoon, after having a clear schedule, and sent him with some documents instead. He can definitely see through his brother and his intentions, and Jongin honestly wishes he stopped.

He grabs the documents from under the seat and approaches the front entrance, ringing the doorbell. The door is soon answered by one of Kyungsoo’s men. Oh Sehun, he thinks it’s his name.

“I’m here to see Kyungsoo,” Jongin explains and the other stares with the most emotionless expression before he steps aside and lets him in. He leads the way to the living room and turns to face him.

“The boss will be with you shortly,” he then leaves with no other word. Jongin sighs and sits down while he waits. He doesn’t know why he’s the one doing this. Kai should do this. He’s the one handling documents and deals. He’s the one who has no issues meeting with Kyungsoo.

Jongin doesn’t want to be here.

A few minutes go by and Jongin hears footsteps coming down the stairs. He thinks it’s probably Kyungsoo, however, he’s disappointed when he sees it is Sehun again, escorting another man out of the house. They have a brief conversation by the door that Jongin can’t fully understand, but he hears something like ‘Boss said, same time tomorrow.’

There are more footsteps echoing, and this time it is Kyungsoo coming down the stairs. Jongin’s eyes widen when he sees him. The man is wearing nothing but a robe, his hair is not perfectly perfect as it always is. Kyungsoo smiles as he walks towards him. He looks so… human. Definitely not the calm, collected, and annoying boss Jongin is used to and was expecting to see.

Jongin’s brain can’t help but wonder what he was doing before he got there, and if the man who just left was somehow involved.

No! Don’t go there. Don’t open that door.

His stomach is burning and his chest feels heavy.

Why?

He should let it go before it overwhelms him. Regardless, now that the spark started a flame, that’s all he can think about when Kyungsoo sits across from him and the upper part of his robe opens a bit, revealing pale skin.

“You could’ve changed.” Jongin hands him the documents, which Kyungsoo takes gladly.

“I didn’t want to keep you waiting.” Kyungsoo pulls the documents out of the folder. He crosses his legs as he reads the contents of it. Jongin can’t help but follow the movement, it’s so distracting.

The robe, his cologne...

He must be insane. There’s no other explanation.

His mind is going places, and it’s bothering him. He’s upset for reasons he cannot explain to himself. He doesn’t even think he wants to know. Pushing all the mental images and feelings away, Jongin folds his arms as if that would protect him somehow.

He has to push it all away.

“Jongin!” Kyungsoo’s voice snaps him out of his trance. He’s a bit dazed, and he shakes his head. “Are you okay? You seem distracted.”

“I’m fine,” was Jongin’s response. He can’t look at him in the eye properly anymore, so he keeps his eyes fixated on the documents. “What were you saying?”

“That I approve these,” Kyungsoo notices the way Jongin spaces out again. “And that I’ll be having a business trip soon… a dog will drive me to the airport, and I heard an eagle will fly the plane.”

The words don’t bother Jongin in the slightest. “Alright.”

“Jongin, did you even hear what I said?” Kyungsoo laughs. He leans forward, trying to get Jongin to look at him. “Is everything okay?”

Jongin jumps back slightly. He blinks and nods enthusiastically. “Everything is fine. If that’s all, then I should go.” He stands up, ready to leave. He’s suffocating. However, Kyungsoo holds his arm before he leaves.

He frowns. “Did something happen? Is there anything you’re not telling me?”

“Nothing happened, I just have to go,” Jongin’s voice is low, eyes glued to the ground. He’s lying, Kyungsoo can tell, but he decides to not push it too hard. The other will tell him if it’s necessary and if not, he’s sure he’ll talk to his brother at least.

“Fine,” Kyungsoo sighs. “I’ll send them back once I sign them.”

Jongin nods. He retrieves his arm and turns to leave. Heavy steps take him to the door, the sound of each of them becomes heavier than the previous one. He can’t shake the feeling of something being wrong like this isn’t what his body wants. He stops at the door, looking down at the knob he’s holding, and weighing his possibilities. He either keeps the status quo, nothing happens, nothing changes, which is what he wants. He knows that’s what he wants, despite it not feeling right.

Or he does something, regardless of what he knows.

Which also doesn’t sit completely right.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo calls.

it .

His body is on autopilot when he turns around, their stares collide and he’s certain of what he’s going to do for once. Jongin’s feet move, this time faster as if they were lighter than before. It’s almost like his brain is no longer dictating what his body should do. He walks back towards Kyungsoo, determination pushing through his veins, clouding his judgment. Once he’s close enough, one of his hands finds a spot behind Kyungsoo’s head. He pulls him in.

His lips search for Kyungsoo’s.

And they find him.

He kisses him, and it’s freeing, light, and heavy all at the same time. His brain shuts off completely as his lips take control of the rest of his body. Electricity bolts through his spine and all he can do is sigh into the kiss. He pulls Kyungsoo closer and swims in relief when the other responds. Jongin feels hungry and lightheaded, and so many other emotions he can barely process.

Kyungsoo’s lips are incredibly soft but firm and perfect.

Jongin can’t even believe he’s putting the word ‘perfect’ and Kyungsoo on the same train of thought. He finally pulls back when his lungs scream for air, and the sight that greets him makes every muscle in his body scream for more.

That’s when he realizes he just ing kissed Do Kyungsoo.

And Do Kyungsoo kissed him back.

The adrenaline makes way for pure panic as he comes to terms with what he just did. What is he even going to tell Kai about this? He can’t. He could never face his brother and tell him what had just happened.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo’s voice is raspy, and low and not what Jongin needs right now.

“I have to go,” he jumps back. Kyungsoo’s skin burns through the fabric, so he lets him go.

“Jongin, wait-”

“Let’s just pretend this didn’t happen,” Jongin turns around. He doesn’t wait to see his expression. He doesn’t want to hear what he has to say. Jongin walks as fast as his legs allow him and exit the house. He doesn’t allow himself to think until he’s on his motorcycle as far away from Kyungsoo as he can be.

He doesn’t think even when he’s following the familiar path back to the office.

He doesn’t think when he’s in front of the office building. He’s going to have to face Kai soon and he doesn’t know how to.

What the did I just do?

Minseok is pacing around the office, he and Chanyeol have been going through hundreds of conversations and phone listings, trying to find anything out of place. He’s not one to not trust his team. He especially handpicked everybody he thought would fit with them and he had never been wrong once. However, he must admit the team has grown considerably over the years and maybe someone could’ve sneaked in when he wasn’t looking.

They usually keep a file on every single person on the team. Their lives before and after being recruited, family information, medical records, everything was safely kept. The only one without a file at this point is Chanyeol.

But Chanyeol is a special case.

“I’m starting to think we won’t find anything this way.” Minseok sighs, dropping the papers on the table. Chanyeol was looking through the phone calls everybody has received. “They probably have a burner phone, too.”

“Maybe,” Chanyeol says.

“We’ll probably have to do a surprise check.”

Chanyeol shakes his head. “If we don’t get the person during the first few checks, the news will fly, giving them time to hide any evidence.”

“What do you suggest?” Minseok is honestly tired.

“Security footage… we should look for patterns.” Chanyeol sighs. “People receiving calls or texting around the same times.”

Suddenly Chanyeol’s phone lights up. He glances at it and groans, turning back to the screen.

“Don’t want to get that?”

“No.”

The phone eventually stops.

“Who is it?” Minseok glances at the screen, but he only sees numbers. Chanyeol has the tendency to never save any phone numbers, he memorizes them.

“Do Kyungsoo’s right hand.” Chanyeol keeps typing and checking as if nothing happened.

Minseok chuckles. “He got your number?”

“Apparently,” Chanyeol lets out a sigh and continues to ignore it. He doesn’t have time for games. He doesn’t have time for anything other than work.

Minseok stares at him for a moment. The guy will understand one day that Chanyeol is not available to anybody.

One day.

“ That’s all I have for you ,” Jongdae says into the line.

“Cool, then go to sleep. It’s late.” A yawn escapes Kyungsoo’s lips as he says the last few words.

“ I should say the same .”

Kyungsoo chuckles. “I will, soon. Don’t worry. Talk to you tomorrow.” He hangs up.

Kyungsoo stretches in his chair, glancing at the clock on the wall and realizing it’s two in the morning. He’s been working for a few hours now and although he has gone through a few contracts and deals he had pending, he still has a pile of work waiting for him. His eyes are feeling heavy. The more he reads, the less he comprehends.

He’s honestly tired.

Nothing a cup of coffee can’t handle.

He heads downstairs and into the kitchen, making some coffee for the rest of the night. Flashes of that afternoon’s events cross his mind while he waits. Kyungsoo leans against the counter, remembering the way Jongin kissed him.

He can’t say he remembers the last time someone kissed him like that.

He can still feel it on his lips.

It looks like Jongin is going through some things, so he’ll respect his wishes and pretend it didn’t happen until it’s necessary.

Kyungsoo feels his phone vibrating in his pocket. He can’t think of anyone who would call at this ungodly hour unless it was an emergency. He pulls it out, the screen lighting up with Jongin’s name over it. He frowns as he answers.

“Jongin?”

There’s mostly silence on the other end of the line. If it weren’t for the loud breathing, he would think the line was dead.

“Hello?”

“ You… it’s your fault !” He drags the words, rushing them as he speaks. He sounds… drunk.

“Jongin, are you okay?” Kyungsoo sets down the mug he has been holding.

“ No! I’m not okay, and it’s all your fault. ” There’s some sniffling and a sigh. “ What did you do to me? 

Kyungsoo has never heard Jongin like this. “Have you been drinking, Jongin?”

Silence.

And then a hiccup, confirming his suspicion.

“ Maybe .”

Kyungsoo sighs. “Is Kai with you?”

“ No! He’s not here. Oh, wait… ” Muffled noise and then he chuckles, mumbling something. “ Never mind .”

“Where are you?” Kyungsoo heads upstairs. He can either get Kai to pick him up or pick him up himself. They’re not exactly safe, and Jongin being drunk on his own somewhere isn’t good.

“ I am not blind, I can see perfectly ,” Jongin continues, completely ignoring Kyungsoo’s question. “ I saw the way those guys were talking to you the other day. 

What?

“ And that guy today… 

Kyungsoo tries to remember what he’s talking about and the only thing that comes to mind is the person he was doing business with that day. He wasn’t wearing business clothes to be fair, but he was inside his house and the man’s arrival took him off guard.

Wait, did that mean Jongin thought he was…?

Oh.

“Jongin-”

“ Open the door! I have things to say .”

He’s outside? Kyungsoo runs down the stairs again, quickly opening his door, and walking to the gate. Sure enough, there’s a drunk Jongin sitting on the floor. Motorcycle parked in front. He frowns as he opens the gate slowly because Jongin is still leaning against it. The other looks up and blinks as if he didn’t expect to see Kyungsoo there.

Kyungsoo sighs. “You were driving while being this drunk?”

“No… my bike drives itself.” Jongin is holding the phone against his ear still.

“Sure.” Kyungsoo helps him up, taking most of his weight and helping him inside of the house. The heavy smell of alcohol invades his nostrils, and he has to push his anger to the back of his mind. He had not only been drinking on his own but also driving and exposing himself to danger.

“I saw it all… I saw the way you were flirting.” Jongin pulls back, making it harder for Kyungsoo to get him inside the house. “In front of my face.”

“And that bothers you?” Kyungsoo changes his strategy, pushing him gently instead of pulling. It works, and he can finally close the door behind them.

“No. Why would that bother me?” Jongin falls on the couch, arms and legs wide open and head hanging over the edge. Kyungsoo takes a deep breath then.

“Sounds like it does.” He texts Kai first, trying to see if the other is awake.

He’s relieved when he replies a few seconds later. Looks like they both had late-night work sessions.

“No, no, no, no…” Jongin shakes his head furiously. “What bothers me is that you look at me with those eyes, and you smile at me, and it makes me think you care.”

Kyungsoo says nothing. Letting a drunk man talk all he wants is always the way to go.

“And it makes me want to care too… and maybe I do, but I don’t want to.” Jongin shakes his head again.

“Why not?” Kyungsoo helps him lie down on the couch properly, taking a blanket and carefully placing it over him.

“Because I’m supposed to not like you. This is what it has always been. And you… you come here and take care of my wounds and stuff,” Jongin huffs. “who told you to do that? Who allowed it?”

Kyungsoo smiles “You did.”

“Lies! Those are all lies! Besides…” Jongin then whispers. “Kai also cares… he cares a lot. So, that means I shouldn’t.” A pause. “And then you kissed me.”

Kyungsoo chuckles, brushing Jongin’s hair out of his face. “For the record, you kissed me.”

“No, no, no…” his voice fades, eyes closing. Kyungsoo watches him for a while. The way his chest rises with every breath he takes, his slightly parted lips and how incredibly long his eyelashes are.

“Maybe I do care,” Kyungsoo smiles, letting him sleep the alcohol away.

It could’ve been worse, and it probably will be the next day.

Twenty minutes later, Kai and Chanyeol are in front of his house. Kai tries to wake Jongin up unsuccessfully a few times, so in the end, Chanyeol has to carry him to the waiting car.

“We’ll pick up the bike tomorrow.” Kai sighs. “I’m sorry he bothered you this late. I don’t know what happened to him. He never drinks this much.”

Kyungsoo debates telling him or not, but he decides against it for now. There will be better opportunities to talk about it later. “Don’t worry, I was awake either way. It was fun.” He shrugs.

“Sure, as fun as it can be,” Kai laughs, shaking his head. “I’ll leave you then.”

Kyungsoo can’t shake off Jongin’s words as he stares at the other twin.

Kai also cares… he cares a lot.

He then smiles. “Be careful out there, would you?”

Kyungsoo receives the biggest smile in return. “I will, and you should get some rest. Work can wait.”

“I’ll rest if you do.” He nods.

Kai gives him a tired smile. “Deal.”

He waits until they’re gone to drop himself on the couch, the messy blanket over it being the only sign left of Jongin’s visit. He smiles, taking the blanket and heading upstairs. He’s sure he’ll fix everything.

There’s always a way.

He can only hope.

 

...

Twitter: VanillaNini1