Toxic

I'm the Devil and this is my hell, so I make the rules

Silence falls between them as they stare at each other. The last few words that came out of Sehun’s mouth floating in the air, torturing them.

He was kidnapped.

Kai is having a hard time coming to terms with the reality they’re presenting. How was it possible for the enemy to reach this far? Were they too confident? Were they too trusting? Did they not take the precautions for something like this to not happen? Kyungsoo was being escorted by his entire team. How could something like this happen?

Kai couldn’t even comprehend.

“How?” was the only coherent word he could get out. He feels his stomach sinking as realizes this is really happening. Sehun sighs, his stare losing focus as he went through that day’s events.

“It was an ambush; they intercepted our cars, and they outnumbered us… they seemed to know the exact route we were going to take and the timing.” Sehun frowns as he recites what he remembers. He has a few battle scars to back up his story. “We were on our way to the airfield. We tried to clear him but…” he rubs his temples.

Kai scoffs. “Of course they did. You have a traitor in your lines.” He shakes his head, fists tight, fingernails biting into his palms. Looking at it in perspective, a trip under these circumstances wasn’t such a good idea.

“We have every man looking for him.”

“That will not be enough,” Kai sighs. “Have every single man report to you within twenty-four hours, if there is anybody missing, then they can’t be trusted.” He turns to Minseok. “Have everyone in our lines look for him too… I don’t care what it takes.”

“Yes, sir.” Minseok nods, quickly exiting the room.

“Chanyeol,” Kai turns to the other man. “Send out a message to smaller organizations and gangs. Set a reward to anybody who finds him. I want every soul in Seoul looking for him. Whoever brings the head of the bastards involved gets double and even more if they bring them alive.”

“Yes, boss.” Chanyeol nods and leaves the office as well.

“Keep in touch Sehun, any leads, any small piece of information and if you find him first… bring those bastards to me.” Anger settles in Kai’s eyes, burning inside him. Sehun nods, taking this as his moment to leave.

Once everyone is gone and silence swallows them again is when Kai allows himself to process the situation. Kyungsoo was taken, gone, and who knows what would happen from here? Who knows what they would do to him or if he was even alive still?

He had to be.

Do Kyungsoo would not dare to die this easily.

“I’ll go looking for him,” Jongin says as he stands up. He had been staring at the emptiness all that time. Having an even harder time wrapping his head around these events.

“Jongin, don’t go out on your own,” Kai knows how he’s feeling, but going out alone now could put them at risk. If they did this to Kyungsoo, it was only a matter of time until they went for them. He wants to set the world on fire until they give him back, but there’s a time and place. “We have to be patient.”

“Patience is not one of my virtues,” Jongin growls. “The first hours are the most crucial.”

“And we have Seoul looking for him. He’s going to be fine.”

“How the do you know? They took him, right under our nose… we’ve been working with ing traitors all this time, handing out information!” Jongin is not one to raise his voice often, but when he did, it meant he was very upset.

“We’re doing everything we can…”

“Well, it’s not enough!”

Their stares clash for a moment. Kai can hear Jongin’s worked up breathing. He’s on edge.

They don’t argue often, not over things this serious at least, so Kai has to handle this the only way he knows.

“If I wanted to go out on my own, right now. What do you think your response would be?” Kai asks, and he notices the change in Jongin’s stare. He knows. “We have to work smarter and harder. Going out on your own will only put you in a vulnerable position. We’ll go out to look for him, but it needs to be done efficiently.” Kai sighs. “I want him back as much as you do.”

Jongin complains, pacing around the room. He smashes the glass surface of the small bar area with a groan. “We’ll find him.”

“Damn right we will. They signed a death sentence, and they don’t know it yet,” Kai leans back in his chair. He won’t forgive them, not for this.

He’s going to make sure they all burn.

“They better not touch a hair…”

“They’ll regret it if they do.”

They were getting him back alive. They would both put their own lives on it.

.*.*.*.

A day goes by.

A whole twenty-four hours.

And Kai is not happy at all with the turn of events, with every phone call he makes, with every lead that turns into nothing. With every report that comes back unsuccessful, he feels more and more anxious. He advised Jongin against going out on his own right away, but at this point, he’s feeling like that’s a better idea.

Luckily, he will have Seoul’s underground world looking for him, and he knows they will because if there’s something people appreciate more than loyalty is money .

And money is something Kai can offer.

They already informed a few groups, and while Kai knows the news would fly, he needs that to be done as fast as possible.

“Car is ready sir,” Minseok informs, standing by the door of the office. “There’s a race today, so most people will be there.”

“Perfect, and whoever isn’t there will surely find out regardless,” Kai stands up, grabbing his things before heading out the door. “Jongin?”

“He said he’ll meet us there.”

Kai sighs. Jongin was not taking this situation well, and it’s not like he didn’t understand him, however, in this state, Jongin wouldn’t mind fighting away his frustration and that wasn’t good for their organization. Or for him.

He would only get himself hurt.

They get in the car and Chanyeol immediately drives away. The place where they would hold said race wasn’t too far away, so they arrive in a heartbeat.

In front of them, the cracked building that once was a warehouse during its golden days now can barely stand as time and nature have taken the best of it. It now serves as a home for drug addicts and homeless people. However, it looks like it could fall apart any minute. Behind it, there was enough space for illegal races to be held, and being abandoned, this place would give them the cover they needed in case cops spotted them.

Kai walks to the back of the abandoned warehouse. The smell of alcohol and cigarettes was intoxicating the air and even in the distance, he could hear the roaring engines of the motorcycles that were going to be used to race. He made his way through the crowd, turning heads on his way to the start line.

He could recognize a few faces, and others just remained unknown to him.

He knows he’s getting into dangerous territory. This isn’t just any formal business meeting. There were gangs and enemy organizations hanging out in the crowd.

And they would not be happy he was there to interrupt their little party.

He sees Lee Dongyul standing in front of the competitors with a megaphone. He’s announcing the beginning of the first race.

“Stay here,” Kai says to Chanyeol and Minseok as he keeps walking towards Dongyul. He can hear Minseok calling him, but it’s useless.

“Boss!” Minseok frowns as he watches Kai approach the middle of the street. “Kim Kai!” he takes a step forward, but Chanyeol pulls him back.

“He said to stay here.”

Kai smiles at Dongyul, who simply raises an eyebrow at him.

“What are you doing here, Kim?” He asks. “This isn’t your type of event.”

“You’re right, but I have an announcement to make,” Kai takes the megaphone from him. “If you don’t mind.” He has several expectant faces looking at him. Kai keeps his smile. “Ladies and gentlemen, sorry to interrupt your scheduled program. However, I have a very important announcement to make.” He speaks into the megaphone.

“What are you doing?” Dongyul complains behind him, but Kai raises a hand.

“As everyone may be aware by now, Do Kyungsoo has been kidnapped.” Kai smiles. “I’m sure most of you are happy to hear this news, however, I’m afraid I am not… we all know what happens when I’m not happy.” Kai starts to pace around the place, looking into the eyes of many faces that are staring back at him. “So, I’m here to make a proposal. The responsible is more than likely among you… this message is not for you.”

Soft whispers rise as he keeps talking.

“This message is for everyone else. I will give an insane amount of money to whoever gives me his location. The amount will increase a fifty percent to whoever gets him back alive.” The whispers increase as people share their shock. “It will be even more for whoever brings the head of the people responsible for his disappearance and double than that to whoever brings them to me alive.”

People start to unsettle as they discuss the possibilities and how is it possible for Kim Kai to be offering such a large amount of money for a rival or simply a business partner.

Kai chuckles. “You have twenty-four hours to fulfill this request. If everyone fails, then I will burn this city to the ground in order to find him.”

Behind him, Lee Dongyul bursts into laughter. “Who can take you seriously, Kim? You don’t have the balls.”

“Ah,” Kai glances over his shoulder at him. “You think I won’t?” He takes a few steps towards him, tilting his head. “I love this city more than anybody, but I’m pissed, and I’ll make a hell out of it if I have to.”

The other man’s smile fades when he realizes Kai is deadly serious. Kai’s smile grows in exchange.

“What will you do if he’s dead when they find him?” Dongyul raises an eyebrow as if challenging him.

Kai chuckles, and he speaks into the megaphone again. However, this time, his eyes never leave Dongyul’s. “This is a message to whoever has him captive… if he’s anything other than perfectly fine, I’ll make sure personally that hell comes for you. I am no person to mess with… and I’m sure my brother, who I hear has quite a reputation, will agree with me.” He sighs. “You want battle? Fine! I’ll bring you war.”

Kai can see the change in Dongyul’s expression, going from annoyance to pure hate. As they stare at each other, they recognize each other’s feelings. Kai can see it in Dongyul's eyes. Suspicion sparks a flame. 

“I’ll suggest you start looking,” Kai says as he wraps up. “Clock is ticking and I’m not very patient.” He smiles at the crowd. “But most importantly, have fun. Go crazy.” He hands the megaphone back to Dongyul.

The crowd dissipates as the gangs, clubs, and others move. Apparently, this announcement is a lot more important than the race that was about to happen. Of course, who could blame them?

“Oh… looks like I ruined the event,” Kai says, not a trace of guilt in his voice. "Oh well."

Dongyul grabs him by the collar in a sudden anger outburst. Kai doesn’t move as he watches the other man consider his possibilities. “Bastard. You can't just come here and-”

Kai laughs, but it is suddenly cut short as his smile fades. Eyes almost coming out of their sockets and voice dangerously low. “I am the devil, and this is my hell… so make the rules.”

Dongyul can see it in his eyes. The image of madness. This man wouldn’t mind burning the world to get what he wants even if he burns himself in the process.

He’s a psycho.

Suddenly a hand covers Dongyul’s. He looks up to find the face of Kai’s twin. Wild stare and tight grip.

“I’d think about it again if I were you,” Jongin says, pushing him away from his brother.

Kai chuckles. “We’re done here, Jonginnie.”

Jongin walks back with Kai towards where Minseok and Chanyeol were waiting. They don’t stay to see what other chaos they caused, and Kai doesn’t look back, but he knows the other is looking at him. He knows.

“Contact Sehun and inform him of everything, the city is going to be a mess tonight,” Kai instructs.

“Yes, sir.” Minseok sighs.

“We should be on the lookout for any movement. This might force them to move, especially because I’m sure he’ll be afraid of someone betraying him, and they probably will.” Kai gets into the car with Jongin following right behind.

“What if they kill him?” Minseok is typing on his phone furiously, sending instructions out to everyone.

“They won’t. If they were going to, they would have the moment they ambushed them. The objective is different, however, now I just changed their plans.”

“You do know this was a risky move,” Jongin frowns.

“We have to take some risks to win, brother.” Kai leans back in his seat. “We’ll get him back soon… if not, everyone knows I’m a man of my word.”

Minseok shakes his head. “You’re going to give me a heart attack one of these days.”

Kai laughs. “You know you love me.”

“What now?” Jongin asks. He’s not feeling like staying still and waiting for something to happen. He has adrenaline pumping through his system.

“We’ll monitor Mr. Lee and his allies,” Kai replies. “I have a feeling he’ll lead us to Kyungsoo.”

“Do you know what you’re saying? If he has anything to do with this…”

“We’ll deal with him accordingly.” Kai turns to his brother. “I’m not very forgiving either.”

Silence reigns between them after that. The weight of what Kai just did falls on them. He just turned the city’s underworld upside down and there would be consequences.

They are sure.

Hell is about to break loose.