Crazy in Love

I'm the Devil and this is my hell, so I make the rules

“Hyung, please do something,” Youngmin whines. He's standing by the door, arms tightly crossed over his chest and forehead wrinkling. He’s annoyed, anyone could tell.

After Kyungsoo woke up, Youngmin had been in a not so passive-aggressive fight with Kai over who would sit next to him during the day. Sadly for him, Kai is winning. Jongin gave up on it a long time ago, sitting by the door. He’s okay with just being in the room. However, Kai and Youngmin had been arguing like children.

Kai flips through the pages of his newspaper, ignoring every word. He has even reduced his smoking breaks just to not lose his spot.

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Don’t worry Youngmin, I’ll be going home soon.”

Youngmin groans, shooting one last deadly glare at the reason for his despair. “Fine, I’ll go get you something to eat.” He then leaves the room, not without slamming the door behind him.

“So, when are you going home?” Kai sets the newspaper on his lap with a smile.

“You’re so childish,” Kyungsoo shakes his head. He’s amused, however. “Tomorrow. Yixing says I can continue my recovery from home.”

“I see,” Kai gazes at his brother briefly, who says nothing, his expression remaining the same. “That’s good to hear.”

Kyungsoo nods. The past few days have been quite difficult for him, not only physically, but mentally. Luckily, he had many people to help him get past this. Including Jongin and Kai.

Much to his surprise.

He glances at them then. They were the ones he was least expecting to be there all day, every day, however, they were. It was kind of odd and Kyungsoo couldn’t find any logical explanation for it. He couldn’t see why they would be so adamant about taking care of him. It wasn’t like what happened was their fault, so he couldn’t blame it on guilt.

And yes, something happened between them before it all went to , and they still had to figure that out. However, he could not understand how something physical could translate to this.

He didn’t know.

He had been meaning to ask, but he never found a good time.

“You know…” he starts. “I’m surprised you’re not bored. Just sitting here with me all day.”

Kai looks up from his newspaper, blinking. “Why would we be?”

Kyungsoo shrugs, brushing imaginary dust from the sheets. “I don’t know. You still have a business to run. Even when I enjoy your company.” He quickly adds. He doesn’t want them to think he doesn’t want them there.

It’s the complete opposite if he’s being honest.

“That’s one of the perks of being twins and being leaders… we can just pass on responsibilities; we both still work, don’t worry.” Kai smiles at him.

Kyungsoo nods. “That’s true, but why are you here? I mean, I know we had something that one night…”

Kai rests his chin on his hand, smiling still. “But you don’t think that’s enough reason for us to hang out as often as we do.” Several emotions flash through his eyes as he contemplates what to say. “Maybe I’ll tell you someday.” He opens his newspaper again, flipping the page as his eyes squint to read the text.

Kyungsoo shakes his head. There’s a hint of a smile on his face. “You’re an unusual man, Kim Kai.”

Kai laughs. “I’ve been told quite a few times.”

“More than a few,” Jongin intervenes, looking down at his phone. His brother throws him a kiss.

Kyungsoo smiles at Jongin as well, causing the other to clear his throat and look away. Looks like now that he doesn’t have any insults to throw at him, he can’t come up with much to say. Kyungsoo is curious to see the character development from then on.

Youngmin comes back in a while later, not without sending daggers at Kai before he sets down a few bags. He prepares a plate for Kyungsoo efficiently.

“Here Hyung… do you need help?”

Kyungsoo pats Youngmin’s arm. “No, I’m fine thanks. I can do this much.” He looks up from his food, spoon halfway to his lips to find Kai and Jongin very attentive. Eyes attached to him, newspaper, and phone are long forgotten.

“Are you sure?” Jongin asks.

“If he needed help, it wouldn’t be from you.” Youngmin raises an eyebrow.

Jongin narrows his eyes at him.

“Youngminnie, you’re cute, but you have to learn to respect ranks,” Kai points at him.

“I have a higher rank than you in Hyung’s life.” Youngmin shoots back.

“That’s true.” Kyungsoo smiles.

Kai gasps. “That’s the most hurtful thing anyone has ever said to me… Even Mr. Kim included.”

“Who?” Youngmin frowns.

“Our father,” Jongin responds.

“You call your father, Mr. Kim?”

“My point exactly.” Kai pouts dramatically, letting out a sigh. “He’s the reason I didn’t like Kyungsoo in the first place.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen at the confession. “Really? Why?”

Kai sulks in his chair, shrugging. “I'll tell you once my rank in your life is high enough.”

Kyungsoo sighs. “Oh dear.”

.*.*.*.

They discharge Kyungsoo the next day as expected. Jongin and Kai said they had business to take care of that day and that they would visit later that night if he was okay with it. Baekhyun also had things to take care of, so Youngmin, Sehun, and Jongdae are the ones to take him home.

He honestly couldn’t wait to go home; he has been away for way too long. Even in the car, he can feel his body relaxing the closer they get to the property.

Once the familiar visage of his home comes into view, he feels excited and relieved.

He was home.

He didn’t think he would be.

For a moment there, before he lost consciousness, he thought about the small possibility that he wouldn’t make it back. Yet here he is, in front of his large house and everything looks just as he remembers, although he can’t say he expected it to change.

Jongdae carries his things inside, while Youngmin and Sehun help him get inside. He’s on some strong pain medication for his ribs and he probably would be for a while.

All he needs is an enjoyable meal, a long bath, and his bed. That’s all he can think about when he finally walks through the doors and into the familiar scent of his home.

“Surprise!”

The voices greeting him from the living room catch him off guard. His eyes widen as he finds Jongin, Kai, Baekhyun, and Minseok standing there. There’s a banner on the wall that reads ‘welcome home’ and they’re wearing party hats. He doesn’t know how, but they made Minseok wear one too. It’s an odd image, to say the least.

Kyungsoo has the feeling someone would pay for it later.

“What are you guys doing here?” he chuckles as he approaches the space. They decorated everything to welcome him, from the table in the dining room, and the chairs. He can even smell something delicious being made in the kitchen.

“Isn’t it obvious? Welcome home party.” Kai grins.

“Is this the important business you had to take care of?” The corner of Kyungsoo’s lips curves into a half-smile. He takes a moment to take everything in.

“Is there anything more important than this?” Kai tilts his head as if he was confused about his question.

“You’re impossible. You guys are cooking?” He sniffs the air a bit, and Jongin immediately sprints into the kitchen.

“He is,” Baekhyun chuckles. He then pulls out a chair for him. “Sit down.”

“I’m sure you’re tired, so we’ll feed you and be on our way,” Kai says.

“I’m not that tired, I don’t mind.” The other smiles as he sits at the dining table. Somehow, there’s renewed energy running through him. It’s a nice gesture.

“Still, you have to rest.” Kai sits down, leaning towards him.

Jongin comes back, this time holding an ostentatious flower bouquet, giving it to Kyungsoo without a single word. The flowers are bright and beautiful. Kyungsoo can’t help but smile.

“For me?” he brings them closer to smell them. “Kim Jongin giving me flowers… I must be dreaming.”

Kai laughs. “You just wait.”

Kyungsoo touches the petals gently, admiring them a bit more before giving them to Sehun. “Can you please put these in water?”

Sehun nods. “Yes, boss.”

That’s when Kyungsoo realizes everyone else had disappeared.

“Where did everyone go? I thought this was a party.”

“A party for three, I’m afraid,” Kai smirks.

“Hmm, I see.”

Jongin comes back with fuming plates, setting one in front of Kyungsoo and his brother before looking for his own plate. Kyungsoo takes in the smell, his stomach reacting to it almost immediately. He hadn’t had any lunch yet, so this came in at the right time.

However, now that he thinks about it, maybe it wasn’t a coincidence that he didn’t have lunch yet.

“Should I, again, be concerned you made my favorite?” Kyungsoo digs in with no hesitation, not noticing the way Jongin smiles when he sees him eat so enthusiastically.

“Not at all, sir.” Kai chuckles.

They eat between animated chats and laughter, and this is probably the second time the three of them have been completely relaxed in each other’s company. It was a rare sight, though probably expected after what went down between the three. That was still a pending matter, however, neither of them had mentioned it, so Kyungsoo decided not to be the first.

Maybe they had a long way to go until they could openly talk about it.

Once the food is gone, and their stomachs are full, Kai leans forward over the table. He studies Kyungsoo for a moment. Kyungsoo has seen this look on him before. He’s being cautious. Deciding his next move.

“I’m sorry to interrupt the mood, and I know we said you shouldn’t work, but we have some confidential information to share with you.”

Kyungsoo feels Jongin tensing up next to him, so his eyebrows furrow at the top of his head. “What is it?”

“It’s not something too bad, but we think you should be aware.” Kai’s face falls serious. He’s in business mode.

“Okay…” Kyungsoo is expectant, waiting for whatever they have to say. If it’s something they wanted to discuss with him, then it must be important.

“You see… we left a few questions unanswered, but there was one specifically that I wanted to clear up.” Kai’s fingers play with his napkin as he says this. His stare is still serious when it collides with Kyungsoo’s. “I thought it would be obvious, but I guess not.”

Kyungsoo sighs. “Just say it, Kim. What is it?”

“I thought you could tell, the way we’re crazy about you. I thought it was so painfully obvious.” A grin breaks through the tense lips. “When you asked me why we were staying with you for so long, I thought you knew. How could you not? I’ve been flirting with you since the beginning of time.”

“You were kind of obvious,” Jongin says.

“But then I look at you, and I can’t tell if you really don’t know…” Kai sighs. “The reason we couldn’t leave your side...”

Jongin nods. “The same reason we turned this city upside down to find you.”

“And the reason we’re sitting here with you today,” Kai is known for his continuous joking and meaningless flirting, however, Kyungsoo can feel the sincerity in his words. He can see it in his eyes. “We like you.”

“We both do,” Jongin adds.

“And you may do with it what you wish… you can ignore it, you can accept it or tell us to off, but that will not change the way we feel about you…” Kai chuckles, lowering his voice. “To tell you the truth, when we heard they kidnapped you, I really thought I was going to set the world on fire… this is what you did to me.”

Kyungsoo blinks, expression blank as he takes in the words, fingers tapping against the table. He probably expected a lot of things except for this. His brain tries to look for something to say.

They both liked him.

He knew they were both attracted to him, maybe physically, but more than that?

Although that’s not true.

He hoped they liked him to some degree.

Kai throws his napkin at him. “The ball is on your side.”

They look prepared. Prepared in case he says he feels the same way, or even if he says nothing at all. It’s written in their eyes. They’re prepared for whatever he throws at them. The ball is really on his side. Neither of them would mind if they got their hearts broken because that would mean they gave their hearts away at least once in their lives.

Kyungsoo lets out a sigh, his face breaking into a smile. “That took you long enough.”

The relief he sees in both is precious.

“And…” he adds. “I like you too, no matter how annoying you both can be.”

Kai laughs and Jongin copies the gesture almost identically. He looks the most relieved out of the two.

In all honesty, he doesn’t know if a relationship could work at all. Can he even call this a relationship to begin with?

It would be complicated and messy, but he was willing to take that risk.

Kyungsoo beams, seeing their happy expressions. “Kim Kai, Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin… who knew?”

Kai smiles, staring deeply into his soul. “I did.”

.*.*.*.

 

 

.*.*.*.

The sound of footsteps echoes around the room.

“They killed Lee, sir.” The man gives his boss an expectant stare. The room is dark, nothing but the moon and the city lights shining through the glass window. His boss is standing by it, looking at the city, glass in his hand.

There’s a sigh.

Then a sip.

“Fine, I’ll do it myself.”