Empty Packs of Cigarettes

I'm the Devil and this is my hell, so I make the rules

The weather gets colder as the days go by, just a constant reminder that winter is flashing, and with every day that passes, the tension rises. An unspoken sentiment that burns their stomachs every time they don’t get any good news.

Kai spends more time in Kyungsoo’s hospital room than in his own office. He knows that work keeps piling up and there are still things they must take care of, but how could he leave when the man keeps going in and out of consciousness? It becomes worrying the longer they wait for him to recover.

Every second is torture.

He leans against the railing outside of Yixing’s small practice, cigarette hanging from his lips, burning away. Before he throws it on the floor, he takes one last puff, putting it out with his foot. He watches the passing cars absentmindedly. There are bags under his eyes, however, his heavy eyelids just refuse to close. His body refuses to stop.

He then hears the familiar roaring engine before he sees Jongin pull up on his bike, parking it in front of the place. Their eyes connect for a moment as he takes his helmet off. He looks just as bad as Kai feels.

“Any news?” Jongin leans against the railing with a heavy sigh. It has been certainly a couple of days for them. Not only balancing the aftermath of the chaos they caused, with checking in on Kyungsoo but also monitoring their businesses. Apparently, no other business had been affected after they retrieved Kyungsoo.

They vanished. He vanished.

Of course, with all the casualties, it would be hard enough for them to pull anything.

“Not much. He’s still out of it.” Kai lifts one shoulder in a half shrug. He honestly needs more coffee.

“Minseok?”

“Getting breakfast… I think.”

They sigh in unison, staring at the almost empty street. This has become a routine for them, standing there, soaking in the cold weather, wondering when it will snow.

A car stops right behind Jongin’s bike. Out of it comes Minseok, holding a bag in one hand and a few cups in the other. They don’t know what would’ve been of them without Minseok. He has been running everything practically by himself, dealing with consequential damage that came after the storm.

Kai has to give him a raise, that’s for sure.

“Are you my savior?” Kai can smell the coffee before Minseok reaches them. He’s never felt this thankful in his entire life.

Minseok sighs, handing them each a cup and the bag he’s holding. “You do know you can’t keep going like this.”

Kai takes the first glorious sip. Even when coffee doesn’t work as it used to, given how tired he is, it still helps him feel a bit more human. A bit more alive. Jongin lets out a moan when he sips on his own coffee.

“Are you listening to me?” Minseok folds his arms over his chest. “I’ll let you see Kyungsoo for a few minutes and then I’m taking you back. You need rest and a shower, and I’m not taking any negative answer.”

“Once he wakes up…”

“So, is this what you want him to see when he wakes up?” Minseok raises an eyebrow, gesturing at them. He inspects their pathetic figures with critical eyes. “I’m sorry, but I would go back to sleep if this is what’s greeting me.”

Jongin frowns. “Mean.”

“I thought you loved us,” Kai sighs dramatically. He digs inside the bag to find warm muffins. Taking a bite of one, he then hands another one to his brother.

“You’ve been wearing that jacket for days.” Minseok nods at the brown jacket and dark jeans combo Jongin has been rocking for a few days now. The other’s frown deepens as he glances down at his own outfit.

“Are you saying I smell?”

“Yes, now eat, go in to see him, and then I’m taking you both with me, even if it’s unconscious.” Minseok takes Jongin’s keys out of his hand and walks away. “You have ten minutes.”

Minseok is not one to deliver empty threats. They know he will knock them out if he has to.

“Ten minutes is not enough…” Jongin mumbles. However, he’s smart enough not to say it too loud. He’s aware he would regret it. They devour everything and finish their coffee before they dash inside. The place would be almost empty if it weren’t for the young man sitting by Kyungsoo’s bed.

Of course, Youngmin is there. He has been staying with Kyungsoo during the nights, while either Baekhyun, Sehun, or Jongdae take turns to take care of him during the day.

That is when Kai or Jongin isn’t there to do so.

Youngmin shakes his head when he sees them. “Go home. You look horrible.”

“Good morning to you too, and we will,” Kai chuckles. “We just wanted to make sure he’s doing fine.”

“He’s fine. Don’t you guys have someone to supervise you?”

Jongin glares at him. “We’re adults.”

“As if,” Youngmin scoffs. They both look like less than. He eventually had to admit they worry for Kyungsoo enough to not do anything to him.

Kai and Jongin stand by Kyungsoo’s bed for a moment, taking in his pale figure. At least the bruises were slowly changing colors and fading, which meant he was healing. If he would only open his eyes.

Open your eyes, Kyungsoo.

The door opens revealing a serious-looking Minseok who walks inside. His sharp eyes are sending a message to both. Something is up. He’s not just there to collect them.

Kai sighs. “What’s wrong?”

“Lee was located and secured.”

The words send a shiver down Kai’s spine. What they have been waiting for finally happened. He can feel the tiredness suddenly transforming into energy inside of him, fueled by nothing but anger. A single look at Jongin tells him the other is feeling the same. There’s a silent agreement between them.

They had been looking for him for days with no results. It did not surprise Kai he could find a good place to hide, considering his record so far. Although, it was only a matter of time, considering certain someone handed them a list of spots he usually hides in. With a business to run and every odd against him, he couldn’t stay in the shadows for too long. The slightest mistake would lead him right over to them, and it did.

To finally have his location only meant one thing.

Neither of them would go home to sleep.

“Jongdae will go with you,” Youngmin says, pulling out his phone and sending a text.

“We’ll be alright.” Kai dismisses him, but Youngmin shoots him a glare.

“He won't protect you; I just need to make sure the job gets done,” Youngmin pushes the phone back into his pocket.

Kai is losing his patience. “It will definitely get done, but fine.” He shrugs. “As you wish.”

They leave the practice, not without catching another glimpse of Kyungsoo. Chanyeol is waiting by the car with the door open when they make it outside. They’re informed that Jongdae will follow in his own vehicle, so they jump in the car with no hesitation.

They would finally have some closure on this mess.

Hopefully.

Arriving at the place, the scenery surprises neither of them. The building where they supposedly located Lee, is empty and partially destroyed. It looks like it could fall with a breeze. The area is one of the roughest parts of Seoul and is far from their territory. They could easily get in trouble for just storming in.

Dongyul knew that.

He’s good at hiding in between the cracks of the city.

But not good enough to hide from a certain lady in the business.

Daeun’s tip had paid off, eventually.

It doesn’t smell any good than it looks. It's probably the kind of place that serves as a shelter for drug addicts, and homeless people, among others. They make their way up the questionable stairs with the rest of their team, along with Jongdae and his team, until they finally reach the open area where he was being held at. That’s when they see him. They tied Lee Dongyul down. He’s defenseless. However, his eyes are throwing daggers at them the moment they walk in. Of course, Kai didn’t expect him to feel any remorse. He’s not the type to have any regrets.

But that would probably change soon.

“Well, well, well…” Kai’s lips curve into a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. He walks past Chanyeol, getting closer to the man tied down. “If it isn’t our dear Lee Dongyul.”

“That line is cheesy and lame, even for you,” the other scoffs.  

“I’m enjoying my organized crime boss status for a moment.” Kai chuckles.

“Are you really? You look pretty bad. Is Do fine? I would hate if something happened to him,” Dongyul teases, with a steady arrogant smile. Kai has to gather all the willpower in him to not slap him right across the face. Once he starts, he could not stop.

“He’s fine,” Kai’s smile fades. “You won’t be in a bit, however. I hope you realize what your actions have caused.”

There’s a silence as they stare at each other. Challenging the other.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Dongyul leans back in his chair, chin up and confident stare not once faltering.

Kai hums. “I wonder if that’s true… let’s say I believe you for a moment, despite the fact that your men confessed when they were so desperate and in pain that they would do anything to get some precious relief.” He shrugs. “Of course, before Jongin left them to bleed to death.”

Dongyul’s face transforms into a glare that would put any man ten feet underground.

Any man that wasn't Kim Kai.

“Is that why you had to hide? Is that why we found you in this hole?” Kai laughs. “The underworld knows what you did, and they know not to go against us. This shall set an example for the future.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“Watch me.”

“Kai,” Jongin intervenes. He’s been holding back, too. His clenched fists are aching to erase Lee’s face.

“Relax, brother.” Kai chuckles. “Patience is a virtue.”

Jongin simply sighs.

“I still need a few questions answered, though.” Kai stands in front of the other man. “Who were you working with?”

The man huffs. “What makes you think I was working with anyone?”

“Oh please, you’re not smart enough to do something like this. Your brain only has capacity for women, illegal racing, and alcohol.” Kai sighs. “There’s no way you pulled this stunt on one of the most powerful people in the city.”

Dongyul stares back at him, unbothered. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Kai hums. “Let me tell you what I think.” He walks around Lee’s chair. “You, of course, don’t have the brains, but have the numbers… someone else had the brains and probably not enough men.” He sighs. “The other person was calling the shots, making every single move and having you execute them with so much precision. Boycotting our businesses, ransacking our clubs, except for one time… at the fighting club.”

When they were attacked, it felt too spontaneous to him. He saw them there and took a chance.

But it wasn’t part of the plan and that’s why they failed.

“Then, seeing that you couldn’t break us apart, you had to change the plan… tell me, how hard were you scolded for that little stunt?” Kai smirks, and the glare he receives in return tells him everything he needs to know. “We don’t have all day, Lee.”

“You won’t get anything from me, Kim… and you and that little Do Kyungsoo deserve every piece of hell you get.” He laughs. “Although I will say he’s nice to look at, and I looked.”

One second he’s sitting in the chair, and the next he’s on his back with a furious Kim Jongin all over him. The chair breaks slightly on impact, however, that doesn’t stop Jongin from wrapping his fingers around the man's neck. Squeezing so tight he could probably break it if he wanted to. And that's exactly what he wanted. To break him. After everything he made them go through, what he did to Kyungsoo. Lee gasps for air, he struggles even tied down, kicking his legs in hopes to get Jongin at least once. Everyone moves to stop him, but Kai raises a hand.

He is not amused, either.

A few minutes later, and before the man loses consciousness, Kai himself pulls Jongin back. “Enough.” It takes some effort, but he eventually succeeds. Jongin’s body radiates pure rage, and Kai can feel it. The man coughs and gasps some more, filling his lungs with precious air.

“My brother is impatient… although I was thinking he should sit this one out.” Kai tilts his head. “You see, the real reason my business is so successful is not only because of my dashing looks and huge brain. It’s also because I have the right people by my side.” He turns to Chanyeol, who simply nods, stepping forward.

Dongyul glances back and forth between the two. Chest rising and falling heavily.

“Are you going to tell me or not?” Kai says. “Last chance.”

“Why do you even care? Is not like Do will give you the time of day.” Dongyul spits out. Kai chuckles, leaning closer to him.

His empty eyes collide with Lee’s, a smile curving his lips as he tilts his head. “I thought I was very clear that day at the race. This is my hell Lee Dongyul… Nothing happens here without me knowing it, and the way you thought you could mess with us or him without consequences is hilarious to me. Want to talk before I change my mind?”

“Kiss my , Kim.”

“In that case, I should let out the beast for once.” He pats Chanyeol’s shoulder. “Take care of it quickly and don’t be too messy.”

Chanyeol nods, a smile crawling its way to his lips. “Yes, boss.”

Even Jongdae, who’s standing in the back, gets goosebumps just looking at him. He’s never seen him smile before.

“Wish I could say it was a pleasure doing business with you,” Kai waves as he turns around to leave. “But my mother taught me not to lie. Sad that it had to end like this.”

Kai walks away, being followed by Jongin and his men. He can hear the other man screaming, calling his name, hissing insults at him, but at this point, Kai is over it. Part of him wants to stay to watch the show, but he’s also known to get carried away and the last thing they need is to be there any longer than they have to.

He’s just glad is over for now.

They walk back to the cars; exhaustion is creeping back into their systems now that this weight has been lifted off their shoulders. Now there’s only one thing left to resolve.

And then they could finally rest.

“Are you sure, boss?” Minseok sighs, he gazes at the building a few times.

“Is something wrong?” Jongdae asks. He’s already holding his phone, ready to report back to Youngmin.

Kai shakes his head; he walks over to him. “Are you talking to Youngmin?” and he smiles when the other man nods. “Tell him mission accomplished.”

“Boss.” Minseok still looks worried.

“It’s fine, Minseok… I told him to be quick and clean. What’s the worst that could happen?” Kai wraps an arm around Jongdae’s shoulders.

“That,” Jongin points at the building. They can barely see inside through the windows, however, there’s smoke coming out of the broken one.

Chanyeol is… peculiar about fire.

Kai sighs. “… go get him before he hurts himself.”

Minseok bolts back into the building. It doesn’t take too much until the top floor where they were is consumed by the fire. This would definitely alert people, so they had to get out of there quickly.

“Am I missing something here?” Jongdae looks honestly concerned.

Kai smiles, ruffling his hair, causing the other to put some distance. “Not really.”

Jongin pulls his brother’s ear with a sigh. “Personal space.”

“Okay, okay…” Kai slaps his brother’s hand away, shoving his own into his pockets right after.

Maybe now he can get some sleep.

Right?

Wrong.

Just a few steps into their apartment, they receive a phone call.

It’s Sehun informing Kyungsoo was finally awake. If it wasn’t for Minseok who forced them to take a shower, shave and eat something, they would’ve gone straight to see him.

They get there a few coffees later. Neither knows what to expect when they open the door, but somehow it feels like it was exactly what they were expecting. He’s there, completely lucid this time. The cuts and bruises are there still, but it’s him, and he’s smiling. Youngmin is talking to him, and he is responding.

That’s when they finally feel certain that he would be fine.

They then realize they have been standing by the entrance, staring.

Kai smiles as he takes a few steps inside the room. “Well, if it isn’t Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes find them almost instantly. His smile reflects Kai’s. “Thought you had seen the last of me?”

“Not even close.” Kai shakes his head.

Jongin is the first one to stand by his bed. “How are you feeling? Are you okay?”

Kyungsoo blinks. He leans back a bit to see him properly, gazing between him and his brother. “I’m feeling better. Yixing told me the drugs are fully out of my system now.”

“I see… we wanted to be here, but we had some things to take care of,” Kai says.

Jongin nods. “And everyone kept kicking us out.”

Youngmin narrows his eyes at them. “You should’ve seen them Hyung. They looked like lost puppies hovering over your bed. We had to send them home.”

Jongin shoots him a glare.

Kyungsoo laughs, wincing in pain the moment he does, however, he tries to disguise it. “Is that so?”

“I wouldn’t say lost puppies, but I will admit it was boring around here. You spice things up, apparently.” Kai’s voice is soft as he sits on the edge of the bed.

“I’m sure you would’ve been fine,” Kyungsoo shakes his head.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Jongin’s stare dives deeply into his soul, trying to detect any lies.

Kyungsoo shrugs. “For what Yixing says, he’s happy with the way I’m healing.”

“Well, that’s good… we still have a lot of business to do together.” Kai glances at Youngmin. “Not that your cute yet annoying little brother hasn’t been doing a good job. He has been holding down the fort decently in your absence.” He ruffles Youngmin’s hair and the other simply slaps his hand away, however, he looks pleased with the compliment.

Kyungsoo smiles at him. “I’m happy to hear that.” His expression falls then. “So, Lee Dongyul I hear.”

“Ah yes,” Kai nods. “He’s no more, though.”

“I don’t really remember much because of the drugs they used, but I heard they really tried their best to me up.” Kyungsoo sighs, resting his head against the frame.

“They did. It’s good that you don’t remember.” The way Kai’s eyes darken is enough indicator.

“Either way, Hyung, you should eat.” Youngmin clears his throat. “I’ll go get you something.” He stands up, pulling his phone out.

“Sure, then we’ll stay to keep him company and tell him how pretty he’s looking today,” Kai’s mood appears to bounce back as he takes over Youngmin’s spot.

Kyungsoo scoffs lightly. “As if.”

“Being alive is beautiful in its own way.”

Then just silence.

Youngmin sighs. “I’ll get you guys something, too.”

They nod, watching him leave the room.

“He’s something.” Jongin mentions, leaning against the wall.

“He means well… he said you guys went to get me.” Kyungsoo smiles. “I sort of remember something like that, but it was so blurry that I couldn’t trust it to be true.”

“We were there,” Kai nods. “They would have to lock me up.”

Jongin snorts. “I don’t think that would’ve worked either.”

“I think so too… you just have something, Mr. Kim.” Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Hope things weren’t too difficult for you.”

“Oh well, a bit.” Kai clears his throat. “Just so you know, whatever it is they tell you that we did… it’s not true.”

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. “What did you do?”

“Nothing.” Kai knows the other will find out the mess they made; however, he’ll enjoy his ignorance for now.

Jongin looks away.

“Oh really? Does nothing translate to releasing chaos into the city?”

 .

“We can’t have a secret around here, I swear.” Kai groans. “Who did it? Was it Baekhyun?”

Kyungsoo smiles. “Wouldn’t you like to know? Although who would’ve thought? Kim Kai and Kim Jongin out there to save me… there was a time where you would’ve loved to get me out of the picture.”

“We probably would’ve been the ones to do it,” Kai nods. “Yet here we are.”

“Yet here we are,” Kyungsoo replies.

A while later, Youngmin arrives with Baekhyun, Jongdae, Minseok, and Chanyeol following close behind. He opens the bag, pulling out some soup for Kyungsoo and other things for the rest of them. They eat in silence for a while. Once they’re done, Chanyeol offers to take the trash out.

Meanwhile, Baekhyun’s eyes can only follow him, going around the room until he’s gone.

Kai notices.

“You don’t want to go there Baekhyun…” he says as he takes a sip of his water. “That’s dangerous territory.”

“I happen to like dangerous,” Baekhyun smirks, eyes still glued to the door Chanyeol just used to leave.

“Not this type.” Kai shakes his head.

“What’s his deal?” Jongdae asks. “You were acting weird earlier.”

Kai shrugs. “Nothing too special… although Chanyeol is. Maybe one day I’ll tell you his story.”

“That’s not yours to tell,” Jongin glares at his brother.

“He won’t mind,” Kai smiles. “But you’ll understand him better later. In the meantime.” He extends a hand towards Minseok, the other rolls his eyes before pulling out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

“No!” Jongin snatches the pack and the lighter before they touch Kai’s hand. “How many times!” He stands up, leaving the room to throw it away.

Kai groans, but he turns to Minseok again. “Quickly.”

Minseok pulls out another pack and lighter, giving them to his boss.

“You’re going to get your brother sick,” Kyungsoo mentions.

“He’ll be alright.” He points at the rest of them. “Whoever tells him is dead. Except you.” He throws Kyungsoo a kiss. “You already almost died and you’re too attractive to die, anyway.”

Kai then leaves the room as well. He notices he’s feeling a lot more cheerful this time around, happy even. And he has nothing to blame it on but him.

At least things are going back to normal.

Slowly.