Get em up

I'm the Devil and this is my hell, so I make the rules

Park Chanyeol.

Baekhyun thought about it again. He's eyeing the man from his position in the back and thinking, how in the world can someone be this fine. He's tall, handsome, quiet, and mysterious. He's everything Baekhyun wanted.

It wasn't like he had never seen the man. However, they never had direct contact until Kyungsoo started doing business with the twins. He watches as Chanyeol inspects another body on the floor. He can see the muscles flexing through his dress shirt.

"Baekhyun, focus, would you?" Jongdae complains. They're cleaning up the area after the whole delivery fiasco and the sooner they finish, the sooner he gets to go home and take a shower. "You can drool over him any other time."

"I'm not drooling." Baekhyun rolls his eyes, resuming the task at hand. They have found little so far, and he doesn't think they'll find much either. The enemy they're dealing with seems a lot smarter than they think. "Besides, I can look, can't I?"

"Didn't say otherwise but multitask," Jongdae sighs as he checks the next body. This was a tedious part of the job, but it had to be done. The bodies keep piling up as they run through them, checking for any clues. They'll have to look for an efficient way of getting rid of them soon.

Baekhyun ignores him. "Besides, don't tell me you haven't been looking at the white cat Kai and Jongin have for an assistant."

Jongdae shoots him a glare and the other bursts out laughing. He nailed it.

They finish several hours later, agreeing to take their findings back to their respective bosses. Minseok approaches them. He looks like he barely moved a finger despite being the one who worked the hardest.

"Is there anything else you need from us?" he asks, pulling out his cellphone to inform Kai they're on their way.

Baekhyun leans to the side, grinning at Chanyeol. "How about your number?"

He gets nothing but pure silence from the other. Minseok raises an eyebrow, glancing between the two.

Jongdae lets out a sigh before he yanks Baekhyun back, making him shriek in pain. "That'll be all, thank you."

Hearing those words, Chanyeol immediately turns around and walks to the car. Minseok folds his arms. "There are more chances of snow in hell than that happening."

"I never lose faith." Baekhyun replies. He's still smiling, regardless. He knows he'll get other chances, so he's not too worried. With that, Minseok scoffs and follows Chanyeol's steps.

"Did you really have to?" Jongdae asks. They watch as the car leaves, disappearing into the street.

"Do you even know me at all, Dae?" Baekhyun chuckles.

He'll get another chance.

Definitely.

.*.*.*.

The plan was simple.

According to Kai, the enemy was trying to break their business relationship, so all they had to do was pretend they succeeded. Acting as if they're divided and going against each other would not be an arduous task. Perhaps a few public appearances where they openly antagonize each other would give the idea that the enemy got what they wanted. The rumors would spread around like gunpowder.

And that would give them some ground to find out who was behind all of this.

He was sure the plan wasn’t to destroy them but to make them destroy each other. The two most powerful syndicates in Seoul, who had been against each other for years.

So, it had to be easy to put them against each other, right?

They would start small, a few little details here and there, and start building up from there.

Kai was very adamant that they had to keep it a secret, even from people in their own organizations. Only their immediate teams had access to this information because Kai was almost certain that either of them or maybe both had an infiltrator in their lines. And until they could identify who it was, the less information the rest knew, the better.

It had to look as real as possible, which meant that they would have to reduce the visits as well and eliminate most written and phone conversations.

Luckily, there was an event coming up organized by an underground fight club. Illegal fights weren't uncommon in their world, and it was a good way to earn some cash if you knew who to bet on. Kai isn't the type to attend these events, however, they needed any opportunity they could get. They agreed to bet against each other during each match. Just to spice things up.

Kai cared very little for illegal fights, but several organized crime bosses would be there, more than likely for pleasure. He only needed a spark that would set everything on fire.

When they arrive, they’re immediately led to a VIP spot to see the matches on the second floor. Kai has been to very few of these events over the years, however, it’s always the same. Women roamed around them, trying to get a generous tip. Men gathered near the improvised ring, the screaming, the betting. Kai saw a few of the people he was expecting wander around the general area. He hasn’t seen Kyungsoo yet, but he knows the other should be there soon.

They would have enough time to give them what they want.

In the meantime, he accepts a cigar one girl is offering. She sits close to him to light it up. Jongin glares at the cigar, but he says nothing.

"Mr. Kim! It's so nice to see you made it." Han Jaesung, the principal organizer, walks over to him with a yellow smile tugging at his lips. He's shorter than them and the bags under his eyes look heavy. Kai has to give it to him. Organizing these fights regularly without having the police involved took skill and dedication.

"You were very kind to invite us. Of course, we had to come." Kai smiles, watching as a server pours him a glass of whiskey. "Besides, the attention to detail is always excellent."

"I'm glad you're enjoying it, sir. Remember to place your bets before the first match starts." He nods. Kai knows his smile is for show and he gives him one with just the same quality.

“Let me ask you a question before I do. Do you know who Kyungsoo is betting on?” Kai leans back in his chair. He analyzes the other man’s expression, but he doesn’t see anything other than a slight hint of surprise. “I heard he’s coming today.”

“It’s hard to tell… I heard he’s been favoring Jongsoo.” The man replies.

“Then I’ll have to ask you for a favor.” Kai extends his hand and Jongin immediately hands him a wad of cash. “Wait until he makes his bets and place mine on the opposite fighter.”

The man's eyes widen when he hears this. "You're going against Mr. Do?"

Kai nods. "That I am. I'll bet against him in every single match. Make sure he finds out… discreetly, of course."

Jaesung glances at Jongin, who only shrugs and he then nods. "Alright sir, I'll come back after the first match."

Kai continues to smoke his cigar, letting his eyes gravitate around the place. He recognizes a few faces and others, not so much. The number of people keeps increasing. They'll probably start once they have a full house. He smiles at the lady sitting next to him, giving her some money. "Thank you."

She shoots a bright smile at him and leaves.

Kai then catches Kyungsoo's stare from all the way across the top floor. He's smiling, but there's something about this smile that makes Kai clear his throat.

Kai simply nods. He whispers something at the other girl standing next to their seats, giving her an equally large amount of money, and she also leaves the area.

"Something wrong?" Jongin asks.

Kai shakes his head. "I'm just making sure we have a happy future."

Jongin frowns, but he says nothing else. It wouldn't be the first time he didn't know what his brother was up to and he's not sure he wants to know either.

They can tell the first match is about to start when the mood around the ring increases, there's more people yelling and jumping around, and there are warnings of betting closing. Kai finally spots Kyungsoo on the other side of the room, surrounded by his team and other people.

"Kim! What a surprise."

Kai turns to his name, and he's greeted with the face of Lee Dongyul. The last person he wants to see. He puts on his best fake smile and greets him back.

"I thought it would be fun for once," he shrugs.

"Are you betting tonight?" Dongyul walks closer with another person following him. He looks a lot younger but very used to this kind of environment. There's a scar running over his left eyebrow. They stand almost next to them, however not too close after taking a quick glance at Jongin. "I heard rumors of you putting in a sizable amount."

"Really?" Kai chuckles. He doesn't want to know if he's betting, he more than likely wants to know if it's true that he's betting against Kyungsoo. "I don't know who I'm betting on, though."

"That's not a very smart move." The other man raises an eyebrow. There's interest glowing behind his dark orbs.

"I have a target in mind, and it's not necessarily the fighters," Kai says. He knows the other will put two and two together, and he does. Just a little spark to set the entire place in flames. That's all he needs.

The two men say goodbye and Kai returns his attention back to the starting match. The competitors have been introduced already. He takes a quick peek at Kyungsoo’s position, and he sees him with a man he does not know. They’re standing a bit too close for Kai’s liking, talking into each other’s ears. Not that he could blame them with the noise the raging crowd makes.

However, they were smiling and making eye contact. A bit too comfortable around each other. 

Kai faces his brother, and he finds him glaring at the pair. It's the type of glare that would send a man's soul straight to hell. "That look will probably help our case, Jongin, but if he sees you, he might take it personally." He chuckles when Jongin looks away and sighs. Kai can tell he's already in a bad mood.

The match starts and the noise just increases as everyone starts to cheer on their favorite fighter. Kai watches the match halfway as he’s more preoccupied with the people around him and the stares he’s getting. The news more than likely flew, and most people are wondering what will happen next.

Kai knows Jongin is tense, especially having this many people around without Minseok or Chanyeol right there. However, as the time goes by, they get more comfortable and watch the fight. Kai doesn't know who his money is on, so he doesn't cheer for anybody, but he grows to enjoy it and laugh at the insults the people throw at each other.

The first match ends soon, and the girls come back into their area to refill their glasses and see if they need anything. Kai assumes Kyungsoo is receiving the same treatment on his side. As they get ready for the second match, Jaesung walks over, giving Kai a small black card.

"You won your first bet of the night, sir," he informs, and Kai smiles.

"Sounds good to me." Kai gives his card a quick glance. "Let's see what the next match brings me.”

The other man nods and leaves just as quickly as he arrived. They announce the second match and Kai decides to pay more attention this time. He learns the names of the competitors by listening to the crowd and watches the fight unfold.

As soon as it's over, he hears part of the crowd celebrate their victory, while the other does the opposite. He watches Jaesung walk to the VIP section, this time handing Kyungsoo a card. Kai smiles. It looks like things will go according to plan.

Suddenly there's commotion in the crowd. Kai hears a few people arguing over money.

“What’s going on?” he sits up, trying to get a better view of what’s happening.

"I don't know, but don't move." Jongin's muscles are tight. He monitors Kai, the surrounding people, and also the mess in the crowd. He has a bad feeling.

The situation gets heated for what they can see, as people keep yelling, shoving each other around, and soon the first floor is a mess.

The sound of gunshot echoes around them, and then another and another one. The crowd begins to panic, and before Kai can realize what's happening, Jongin is pushing him down in his seat. He looks around for a clear exit, however, everybody is trying to get out at the same time at this point.

Jongin pulls his brother as far away from the crowd as he can. He gets a call from Minseok, who's waiting outside and more than likely heard the gunshots. They'll try to get in, but that will be just as hard as getting outside now.

“We’re fine, I don’t know what happened, but I have him covered…” Jongin says. “Don’t come in, just wait as close to the entrance as you can.”

Something hits Jongin before he can say anything else, and he drops his phone. He regains balance and looks up to find it's not something but someone. A stranger just as tall as him stands in front of them, he's wearing a mask and dark clothes and soon others dressed the same join him.

The stranger pulls out a knife, and Jongin realizes he's there for them. He charges against the attacker, kicking the guy back while keeping Kai behind him. They're back-to-back, surrounded by them. He has to expect every move; it could come from any direction. Jongin's heart is pounding. Any wrong decision could get them both injured or killed. He doesn't know what they want, but he's not about to find out. Jongin pulls out his own knife, swinging at his attackers, which they evade successfully.

Jongin can hear Kai calling his name, but he can't allow himself to look back until he takes care of this.

Two of them bolt towards him. Jongin takes a few steps back before he punches one of them. The other manages to yank him, making him lose his balance. However, Kai quickly pulls him back, landing a quick blow to the gut before he throws him over the railing to the first floor.

Jongin breaks a bottle on the other attacker's head, knocking him out before he faces the remaining one.

The guy is tall and broad, but it does not intimidate Jongin. He launches towards Jongin, full force. He evades a few swings; however, some hit the nail. The knife cuts through his clothes, reaching his skin. Jongin groans, holding the side of his torso. A quick glance confirms there is blood.

"Jongin?"

"It's fine," Jongin shakes his head. He's running out of patience and time.

He takes the initiative this time, twisting the man's arm to disarm him, landing blows to the face. The other kicks him, making him lose his balance once again, taking this opportunity to return the favor. Jongin takes a deep breath. He can taste and feel the blood from his broken lip, and running down the side of his face. Kai is about to jump in when Jongin pushes him back, sending a fierce look his way.

"Stay back dammit!"

He stands straight, just staring at the other man for a moment before tackling him to the ground. He locks the other in a tight grip.

If he can't breathe, he can't reach him.

The attacker slides away. However, instead of going at him again, he just jumps off the railing onto the first floor. Jongin groans. His eyes try to follow him through the crowd as he tries to catch his breath. It's hard to keep track of him with the moving crowd. He considers going after him, but he looks back for Kai, checking if he's fine.

"I'm okay, don't worry… are you?" Kai scans his brother's body, checking his injuries, but the other nods.

"I'm fine. Let's get out of here." Jongin pulls him towards the exit, pushing through people to get out and not letting go of Kai's hand. They're an easy target at a place like this and even more, while surrounded by people, so he focuses on getting them out as soon as he can. Suddenly Kai's arm tenses up. He makes both of them stop.

"Jongin."

Jongin follows his eyes, to see Kyungsoo and Sehun in the distance, fighting a group that looked awfully similar to their attackers. Jongin takes in a deep breath, his brain debating if they should help or if he should just get Kai out of there. He's torn, but he knows Kai will want to go help, regardless.

"Don't move." He warns, grabbing his knife and heading towards them. He's walking against the sea of people trying to get out, but he's honestly tired and angry. He can't hear anything but the sound of his own heart pounding in his chest. One attacker swings at Kyungsoo, the blade in his hands nearly reaching his neck.

That's when he runs.

He goes for a direct blow to the face the moment he reaches them, sending the dude back several steps. Jongin doesn't hesitate to bury and twist the knife inside his chest, blood spilling over the knife and his hands. The man falls to the ground with a loud thud. He turns to Sehun.

"Get him out of here." He dodges the other two, pushing one down the railing to the first floor before slicing the other's throat in two clean movements. When he turns around, Sehun and Kyungsoo are still there staring at him. He growls at them. "What the did I just say?”

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. “Watch your tone with me, Mr. Kim.” He turns to Sehun. “Baek and Dae?”

Sehun sighs. "We'll contact them from the outside, sir." He leads the way towards the exit where Kai is already waiting. He's frowning, staring attentively at something on the first floor.

“What’s wrong?” Jongin questions while pushing his brother out at the same time.

“Nothing.” Kai shakes his head. It's not the time.

They finally make it out, looking for Minseok and Chanyeol who look just as stressed as Jongin feels. They both deflate when they see them.

“Boss,” Minseok and Chanyeol rapidly cover them.

"Apparently, things got out of control, but we're fine." Kai nods as they're being led to the car. There are people running in every direction. Kai can hear the faint sound of the police sirens approaching the scene. He glances at Kyungsoo, noticing the cut lip and a bruise is forming. He suddenly wishes he could go back in and finish what Jongin started.

Sehun tries to contact Baekhyun and Jongdae a few times with no success.

“They’ll probably find you soon. I think waiting by the vehicles is the best option now. This place will be filled with cops in no time.” Kai says. The situation is getting out of their hands, and he’s pretty much sure that the little work they started was ruined.

However, just a quick look at Kyungsoo makes him realize that he doesn’t really care.

"Hold on," Jongin turns to Chanyeol. "Give me your gun." The other obeys immediately, pulling out a gun and handing it over.

“What are you going to do?” Kai frowns. He can see the murderous intent in Jongin’s eyes.

“You’re not going back inside, are you?” Kyungsoo grabs his arm.

Jongin shrugs him off and he turns to his brother. “If you take any step away from Minseok and Chanyeol, I’ll shoot you myself.”

Kai doesn’t like this. “You’re injured. Don’t be an idiot.”

Kai’s words land on deaf ears as his brother is already making his way back inside. He has a reputation of being the stubborn one, but his twin also has his moments.

“,” Kyungsoo tries once again to contact Baekhyun or Jongdae unsuccessfully.

“They’ll be fine,” Kai sighs. “Let’s sit inside the cars until it clears out.”

That’s what they do. They move the vehicles to be out of the cop’s radar. Kyungsoo keeps staring out the window as he watches the police arrive and start to arrest people on the spot. About five more minutes go by when they hear a few more gunshots. They see police officers rushing into the building.

"He's going to give me a heart attack." Kai mumbles. He didn't think Jongin would be the one going back inside, but something in his eyes told him there was no stopping him, either. He can be very irritating when he wants to be. They wait a few more minutes, hearts racing until they finally see Jongin's figure approaching them. He's helping Jongdae carry Baekhyun and the moment Kyungsoo sees this, he jumps out.

“What the happened?” Kyungsoo checks on Baekhyun.

"He might need stitches," Jongin says. He gives the gun back to Chanyeol. "Throw this away.”

Kai sighs. “What did you do?”

“Shot some bastards, what do you think I did?” Jongin frowns. “The people who went after them were probably the same who went after us, and I don’t like leaving loose ends.”

Kai runs a hand through his hair. "For now, let's retreat and regroup. This situation was a mess.”

Kyungsoo nods, he takes Jongin's place, helping with Baekhyun. "Let's meet at my place." He says and they head to their own vehicle.

Kai watches them. He's concerned still, but at least they're safer than before. He waits until they get inside and drive away before doing the same. Some things just don't add up with the riot and the attackers. He feels like he's missing something, and he doesn't like it. He'll have to do some more digging and sort this out.

"Did you kill anyone?" Kai glances at Jongin. He can feel pure violence coming out of his brother's body in waves.

"Do you really have to ask?" was his only response.

He didn't have to.

 

...

Twitter: @VanillaNini1