Bambi

I'm the Devil and this is my hell, so I make the rules

Now.

 

Nightmares are dreams too.

 

Kai walks around the place as he inspects the damages. His brain is working at the speed of light, figuring out a way to fix all of this in a timely manner and get the place running as soon as possible. He can see his brother wandering as well. He kicks a piece of wood with a groan; the frown is almost cutting his face in half.

The story they got was that the place was ransacked, however, it looks more as if it was trashed than anything else. This was one of his favorite clubs, if not his favorite, so he did not appreciate the way they left the place. He only checks on the clubs over the weekends, so he wasn’t there to witness it.

Kai doesn’t know much, but it seems to him like they purposely avoided him. If that was the case, then it had to be someone who knew the way he operated. Which thankfully reduces the group.

“We’re getting the security footage to see if we get any other clues,” Minseok reports in a monotone voice. The man runs a hand through his white hair, letting out a sigh as he puts down the phone. “There weren’t many customers, luckily.”

“I don’t know if it was luck,” Kai tilts his head. His large coat is engulfing his figure. He has nothing else to see here. “Have a detailed report for me by the end of the day.” He then stretches out a hand and the other man sighs before handing him a pack of cigarettes and a gun-shaped lighter. 

Kai makes his way outside. The contrast between the dark inside of the club and the sunny day makes his eyes narrow as he leans against the car they came in. He places a cigarette in between his lips, lighting it up before he takes a large puff. He revels in the feeling before releasing the smoke into the air. 

As one of the most important organized crime figures in the city, he feels like this is a big sign of disrespect. He could name a few people that would be bold enough to do this. He isn’t short on enemies after all.

The door opens once again, and he sees his brother stepping out. Jongin’s features are slightly softer than his, however, the way he carries a frown everywhere makes him look a lot more intimidating. The man comes over, hand in his pocket, and he glares at the cigarette hanging from the other’s lips. Kai ignores him.

“What do you think?” Kai asks. He can perfectly see what his brother is thinking. Although that’s a virtue only he has.

Jongin sighs. “I think this was a message.”

Ah, so they are on the same page.

“I agree,” Kai nods, taking another puff. “Now the question is, who ?”

“I can drop a few names.” Jongin zips up his leather jacket. “Don’t do anything stupid.” He gives his brother a warning look. If there’s something Kai is known for, that’s his ability to get himself in trouble whenever Jongin was not watching. “Don’t do anything at all until I’m back.”

Kai chuckles, tilting his head slightly. “Aw, you’re always worrying about me, bro.”

“As your head of security, that’s my job, besides your common sense sometimes jumps out the window,” Jongin says, eyes landing on the cigarette, now between Kai’s fingers. “Quit that.”

“I’m tense.” Despite his words, Kai struggles to hide his smile.

“As if.” Jongin puts out a hand, raising an eyebrow in a silent command. Kai knows better than to go against him, so he hands him the entire pack and the lighter with a groan. “Stay with Chanyeol and I’ll be back after I check the warehouses.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Kai nods. He watches his brother walk away with no more words. He approaches a black motorcycle parked right behind his car, grabbing his helmet before hopping on the machine. The roar of the engine reaches his ears soon after and, in the blink of an eye, Jongin is gone. 

Minseok walks out of the establishment with a laptop, and he quickly opens the door of the car for Kai. “We’re all done boss.”

Kai pushes himself off the vehicle with a sigh, approaching Minseok, but before he enters, he smiles at his assistant. The other rolls his eyes, pulling out another pack of cigarettes and a now normal black lighter, giving it to him. Kai kisses his cheek before he jumps inside the back of his car. He hears the sigh the other man lets out. “Let’s head back Chanyeol.” 

The driver nods and waits for Minseok to get inside too before he pulls out of their parking spot and drives down the street. 

 As they make their way back to the office, Kai looks out the window at the people rushing through the busy and cold streets. Everyone is dressed for winter already as the end of fall is approaching. 

His favorite time of the year. 

“Can we make a quick stop?” 

.*.*.*.

Kai turns to his brother later that night, gesturing for him to help him fix his tie. Jongin does with a focused frown. He’s also dressed a bit more formally than he normally would’ve. However, he still keeps part of his outfit on the comfortable side in case anything happens. Not that he thinks it will, but he has to be prepared for anything.

Besides, it wouldn’t be the first time he’s had to run out of an event with Kai under his arm after his brother said something he shouldn’t have on purpose. 

He loves to test the wrong people.

The team would be there as well, so he shouldn’t worry too much, although he always worries. Jongin finishes adjusting Kai’s tie and takes a step back, nodding. Just as he’s done, Minseok walks in with a bottle of Kai’s favorite whiskey in his hand, placing it over the coffee table with a disgusted grimace. 

“Stop drinking that cheap ,” Minseok says before he pulls out his phone to notify Chanyeol that they’re both ready.

“But it’s so good!” Kai grabs the bottle, walking towards the bar and pouring himself a glass. “Any of you would like to join me?” When both men shake their heads, he takes a sip. “More for me.”

Kai has been attached to the brand since his teenage years. It was the only thing he could get behind his father’s back, and now the taste just reminded him of his younger years. It’s gradually getting harder to get nowadays, so he has to look for a way to buy more before it disappears.

“It’s really not,” Jongin says. He tried it a few times, and each time he thought he would have to get a gastric lavage. “Hurry, I don’t want to be late.”

“You know Mr. Choi doesn’t wait for anyone,” Minseok adds.

Kai rolls his eyes, downing the rest of his glass. Mr. Choi would surely be the last there. He follows them to the door, taking a quick look at his reflection on the full-body mirror to the side before leaving. The door to their office locks behind them and they make their way towards the private elevator. “Do we have a list of attendees?”

“Just ask me if Do Kyungsoo is going?” Minseok rolls his eyes, making his boss smile.

“That’s not the reason I’m asking.” Kai chuckles. He’s becoming a bit too predictable for his liking. “Is he?”

“He is.”

Jongin lets out a groan. The event they are attending is the birthday party of one of the remaining leaders from their father’s generation. He would more than likely find his replacement; however, they all know Mr. Choi likes to go with a bang. Jongin knew Choi would invite other people, however, the last person he wants to see is Do Kyungsoo.

Arrogant and extremely insufferable Do Kyungsoo.

Even when he’s one of their closest business partners and Kai seems to be very fond of him now, his arrogance and overall personality made it hard for Jongin to like him from day one. It doesn’t matter what his brother says about him, Jongin simply does not like him.

And he never would.

“That’s great.” Jongin suddenly feels like the cheap whiskey isn’t so bad after all.

“It’ll be fine. Tonight is all about Mr. Choi after all… you probably won’t even have to interact with him.”

“I hope so.”

They finally get to the underground parking lot. The car is waiting right in front of the entrance to the elevator, and Minseok rushes to open the door for them. Kai pats his cheek before he gets inside, and Jongin simply follows him in. 

The ride to the restaurant is fairly quiet as they navigate Seoul’s streets. The place is one they’ve visited often, so they know they’re way around. Either way, once they’re there, the server leads them to the private booth. Of course, there are other people there already, but the host hasn’t arrived yet, as expected. They both greet everyone and take a seat. They recognize the faces of some gang leaders and other mafia leaders there. 

Some who they get along with and others not so much.

“Nice to see you making an appearance, Kim,” Lee Dongyul yells from the other side of the table. It appears like he has been taking advantage of the free alcohol so far. Kai smiles politely at him.

“Wish I could say the same,” he chuckles. Lee Dongyul has been on the scene for just as long as Kai has been. Long ten years have passed and despite them being in similar situations, and doing business together, they don’t like each other very much. 

Not to mention the fact that Dongyul’s organization is stuck in time, the man refusing to abandon old practices. Kai can only blame it on his poor management skills. 

Dongyul groans, looking away. He tucks his black hair behind his ear, revealing a large number of piercings. 

Kai goes back to having polite conversations with other people, laughing here and there when a joke is told. Jongin does not try to socialize. 

The door to their private booth opens, revealing none other than Kyungsoo. Kai’s lips form a smile almost instantly. Their eyes meet for a split second and the other man greets everyone in the room. He sits down across from them, pretending to not notice the way Kai is looking at him. 

Of course, Kyungsoo’s attractive features do not go unnoticed by anyone in that room. Kai can see the appreciative looks the other man receives.

“Don’t you look handsome today, Mr. Do?” Kai rests his chin in his hand as he looks at the other man. His intentions are clear. He takes in the other’s figure slowly, as if savoring his favorite dessert in the world. Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow.

“Well, thank you, Mr. Kim… you don’t look too bad yourself.” Kyungsoo leans back in his chair, a smirk curving his lips when his eyes land on Jongin. “You as well, Jongin.”

Jongin pretends to ignore him. However, the low growl that comes out of him makes the other man chuckle.

“He’s not in his best mood today,” Kai says. “One of our favorite clubs got raided yesterday.” 

Kyungsoo doesn’t react to the news. “I’m sorry to hear that. Will you be able to recover?” he reaches out for a glass of water and takes a sip.

“Oh, of course.” Kai laughs. “It’s one of our favorites after all.”

“I’m glad.”

There’s a short laugh, followed by a sigh. “You say that as if you don’t grow tired of your favorites often”

Park Daeun. The only woman in the room and probably the only woman with power in the underworld. Her father only had girls, however, that didn’t stop him from raising them to be nothing other than successful in this field. Perhaps his way of protecting them, however, Kai wouldn’t mess with her, at least not in a way that could get him killed. 

Because they did business once.

For a short time.

Kai smiles. “Let’s leave the past where it belongs.”

She raises an eyebrow at him. Daeun has more to say, and he can see it. She remains silent regardless.

“Mixing business with pleasure, Mr. Kim?” Kyungsoo comments and Kai pivots his attention back to him.

“Never… although if it were for you, I wouldn’t mind.” The space between them is too large for Kai’s liking.

“He says that to everyone, Mr. Do…” Daeun says. “Don’t let him fool you.”

Kyungsoo chuckles. “I’m aware. What about you, Jongin? Do you mix business with pleasure?”

Jongin simply glares at him, causing the other to laugh.

The conversation becomes light afterward while they wait. Of course, it’s expected of their host to be fashionably late. 

Soon enough, the door opens once again, and this time their host finally appears. The old man is wearing a neon green suit, which is no surprise to anyone. He’s known for seeking attention at all times. They all stand up as he walks inside. His eyes travel from face to face, probably to seize their reactions. Behind him, however, they notice a young guy. He’s dressed a bit more inconspicuously, but he’s also smiling as they make their way inside.

Mr. Choi sits down and so does everyone else. 

“I’m glad to see everybody could make it,” he begins. “I have some things to discuss with everyone, but let’s celebrate first!” He gestures at the servers, and they approach the table with plates in each hand.

As they always do, Kai waits for Jongin to try the food first before he digs in. Not that he agreed with it, however, Jongin always insisted on this protocol when they took over and had been doing it ever since. The room fills with animated conversations and loud laughs as everyone tries to please their host the best they can.

The evening goes by without any incidents. There’s some tension that they all ignore, but by the time dessert is served, they realize the real reason for this gathering.

Choi clears his throat, gaining everyone’s attention with a smile. “Facing reality has never been one of my virtues, however, considering I’m getting old, and I’m surrounded by a new generation. I’ve concluded that this world is changing. For instance, everyone I do business with is at least half my age.”

Every man in the room stares at him with curiosity. Kai’s eyes follow the old man’s hand as he pats the stranger’s shoulder.

“My Chung-Ho here will take my place from now on in my organization. I wanted to introduce him to everyone we share business with so he wouldn’t be so clueless.” The old man takes a deep breath. “He’s the only person capable for this job and I expect excellent results soon.”

The man in question smiles as he nods at them politely. “I hope in the name of my father, we can continue to do business together and be successful.” 

The man’s eyes scan the room with enthusiasm and a spark of innocence. Kai isn’t sure he has ever seen a dead man in his life, although, with the path of life he has chosen and growing up under his father’s supervision, he probably has. However, Kai has the feeling he can’t even properly hold a gun. 

It would be a challenge, but given everything they owed to the old man, Kai wouldn’t be the one refusing. 

“We’re excited to see what you can accomplish.” Kai smiles at him. 

As the night wraps up, and everyone leaves, Kai looks for Kyungsoo’s company once again. 

“You seem to like me a lot,” Kyungsoo says. He gathers his things, walking over to his team. 

“Oh, I do,” 

Kyungsoo scoffs. “You really have no fear, do you?”

Kai doesn’t answer, he lets his smile do the talking.

“Good night Mr. Kim,” Kyungsoo shakes his head, finally turning his back to him. Kai bites his bottom lip.

“Have a good night as well, Mr. Do… Hope your dreams are about me.” Kai chuckles. The remaining people glance at him as if he had gone mad. 

“Only if they’re nightmares.” The other shoots back, making Kai laugh.

He watches him leave and finally turns to his very annoyed brother. He’s still smiling. 

“You’re happy, aren’t you,” Jongin mentions as they make their way back.

Kai shrugs. “Nightmares are dreams too.”