Blinding Lights

I'm the Devil and this is my hell, so I make the rules

Then.

“Boss, Lee Daehyun just called.”

Those five words make Kai release a frustrated sigh. He knows his right hand well enough to know what those words mean. A pair of dark eyes stare back at him with apparent disinterest, but he could see the actual discomfort simmering within the surface. It’s not because this has happened before, even though it has. It was the tone, the face. Everything led only to one answer.

He glances at Minseok, the man is not even taller than him. However, his presence engulfs the entire space. He sees him run a hand through his snowy white hair, still wearing a suit despite the hour, and Kai notices the tension in his features. He could see in his catlike eyes what he’s going to say next.

“He said he received a more profitable business opportunity and that he won’t be following up with what we agreed anymore.” Minseok crosses his arms over his chest, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. They had been working on this business deal for months and to have it now become nothing was very frustrating for the entire team.

How many hours had Kai stayed in the office and out in the field seeking this deal?

Endless amount of hours.

How many of those hours had Minseok stayed by his side?

All of them.

“Who?” is Kai’s only question. His brain runs by a few names. He makes a list from least to most probable to do something like this. Loosening his tie, he stands up, walking towards the balcony. He needs a cigarette.

Although in the back of his subconscious he already knew the answer to the question, there was only one other person that would cross them so openly.

Minseok sighs. “Do Kyungsoo, sir.”

Do Kyungsoo.

ing Do Kyungsoo.

A chuckle escaped his lips, a cloud of smoke following the sound as well as they both disappeared into the night air. Of course .

He should’ve known. As one of the most important organized crime leaders, Do Kyungsoo has been a pain in the for their operations for longer than he had to be. The man is pure arrogance wrapped in well-designed suits and imported shoes. However, there was also a brilliant brain under all of that. Making him one of Kai’s most notable rivals in the field. 

And the hottest one.

It hadn’t been like that all the time, and Kai would be the first to admit that it was kind of his fault when they met. Kai was too young and his mind too infested with jealousy and ambition. Poisoned with the desire to please someone that would never be pleased with anything.

He could say in a way it was his father’s fault. The old man could not stop talking about Do’s accomplishments and work at such a young age just a day after he met him. He had never heard his father provide a compliment, much less to a stranger and potential rival. However, he said nothing but kind words about someone who he barely knew.

The hardest man to please on earth, praised a nobody , over his own children   

However, with time, Kai learned to not blame others for his own insecurity.

The way he acted back then set the parameters for their business relationship.

Resulting in their current circumstance.

War.

The door opens, revealing a face that looks almost exactly like Kai’s. Jongin, Kai’s twin, second in command and head of security, walks into the office. It’s almost as if his aura overpowers Minseok’s the moment he sets foot inside. He’s frowning and his fists are clenched. Looks like he already found out. Kai chuckles, shaking his head and leaning back against his chair.

If anybody dislikes Do Kyungsoo more than Kai, that’s Jongin.

“Relax, we can still salvage this.” Kai says, putting out the cigarette into an ashtray nearby.

“How?” Jongin looks between his brother and Minseok. He wasn’t known to be the most patient person ever, unlike his brother. He wanted things done on the spot, but Kai believed some things had to burn a little before they could come to fruition.

“You’ll see…” Kai turns to Minseok. “Call Chanyeol. Tell him to be here first thing tomorrow morning. We have to put a plan into action.”

Minseok nods. “Yes, boss.” And with that, he leaves.

“He’s snooping around in our business again,” Jongin says. He’s clearly not amused by this and despite popular belief, he has suggested several ways to get rid of the nuisance Do Kyungsoo was. 

Killing him being near the top of his brother’s list.

Not that they haven’t tried. The rival boss seemingly has the ability and audacity of an escape artist. And he would retaliate even harder. It went back and forth for a while, and now Kai saw it more like a game than anything else. Who was going to make the next move? Who would succeed first? Whose plan was better? That’s how he saw it, despite his brother’s annoyance.

Of course, Kyungsoo in turn had done his fair share of attempts at murder as well and had failed just as miserably. Either side dying would, of course, result in war and chaos, but Kai didn’t mind.

He would have fun.

“We’ll come up with something to get this deal back, don’t worry.” Kai retrieves a pack of cigarettes from his front pocket, putting one between his lips and lighting it up. “And I will do it all before this weekend’s event.”

“I hope you know what you’re doing.” Jongin loves his brother, he really does, but sometimes Kai’s mind went to places nobody else had access to.  

A different realm if you may.

“When have I failed you, brother?” Kai pats his cheek and leaves the office. 

He had been working all day, and he’s aching for a warm shower and some food. Being a leader was not a simple task. Being part of one of the biggest crime organizations in the country, next to a few others, was a whole different deal.

Their father always encouraged them to get their hands on everything, just like he did. Even though the organization wasn’t as big as it is now, which is why they have to work a lot harder. It’s manageable, however.

Kai’s brain is already working at the speed of light when he gets into the shower. He smirks as the pieces come together, only one person in his mind.

Do Kyungsoo.

.*.*.*.*.

The first time they saw Do Kyungsoo was something they would never forget. It had barely been a year since they had taken over their father when they received an invitation to an annual event. Previously, it was their father who took over these kinds of things, but having two kids taking over the business gave the old man an excuse to avoid said events and send them on their own. Of course, that meant they would see rivals and potential business partners. 

Kai saw it as an opportunity to get their names out there and have other people see them for what they were.

The heads of one of the most respected syndicates.

Back then, they still had a lot of work to do to be respected. Not only by other organizations but also by their own father, and Kai was thirsty for it.

Kai and Jongin showed up alone, which many thought was a mistake, while others saw it as a sign of arrogance.

As if they couldn’t be touched.

They had small conversations with a few people, but nothing too important. They could hear the judging whispers floating around them, as they had a few glasses of wine. 

Kai did his best to appear calm, despite the way his fingers were fidgeting with a lighter inside his pocket.

Their father had been nothing but warnings, even when he had sent them alone it was clear, at least to Kai, that he didn’t think they would do well and that it would serve as a lesson.

Just observe your environment and learn . He had said.

“I’m going to get some fresh air,” Kai whispers to his brother. 

The other quickly grabs his arm.“I’ll go with you.” Jongin frowns when his brother declines.

“I’ll be fine, nobody will touch me considering where we are.” Kai pats his brother’s hand gently. He understands his concerns, but he doubts anyone would try anything. “I’ll be fine.”

“Kai…”

“I’ll be fine.” He repeats, walking away. He waves at his brother to emphasize. 

Wandering around the place, his ears catch a few loose words from conversations around him. He memorized most faces, but there were still a lot of unknown people there. It weighs on him how big the underworld is and how little he knows despite everything he did to prepare himself.

He finds a balcony, which is luckily almost empty since most people are inside socializing. The cold air hits his face, and he’s grateful for it. His fingers are still fidgeting, however, he feels his body relax as seconds go by.

“You look like you need a drink.” The voice comes from the other side of the balcony, a man leaning against the railing with a glass in his hand. Kai raises an eyebrow until he gets a good glance at said man.

And good lord, was the man a sight to behold.

“I’ve had quite a few already,” Kai chuckles and the man makes his way towards him. 

His obsidian hair somehow shines in the dim lighting, and even when he’s a few inches shorter, his presence is no joke. Everything from the three-piece midnight blue suit he’s wearing to the smirk on his face screams class and seduction. 

Kai can feel it the closer he gets. 

The man offers him his half-full glass, as he comes to a stop in front of him. 

Kai smiles, accepting it before he takes a sip and gives it back to him.

“You can never have enough at events like this.” The man gives him an appreciative scan, putting no effort into hiding his interest. 

Kai fails at holding back his smirk. “So you say. I’d say there’s an advantage in being the only sober person in the room.” He shrugs. “You can analyze others better.”

“Is that your thing? You analyze others?” The words are low, his voice deep. 

Kai feels as if every single word is caressing his ears in the most inappropriate way. And somehow the other man gets closer and closer until their arms are touching. Goosebumps travel across his skin. He doesn’t remember the last time he felt like this.

For once, he feels like the mouse instead of the cat and he doesn’t know how to handle that.

“I guess you could say so…” Kai doesn’t even attempt to put space between them. The other sips of his drink before handing it to Kai. “What’s your thing?”

The man’s eyes land on Kai’s lips when he drinks. “I’ll let you find out.”

“Kai.” They’re interrupted by another voice. They both turn towards the door to find Jongin as displeased as he can be. He approaches with angry steps, reprimanding his brother with his eyes. “What are you doing?”

“We’re just talking, relax…” Kai gives the other man his drink back who appears very amused as he looks back and forth between the twins.

“My, my… what a turn of events.” He chuckles.

Jongin raises an eyebrow, he stares at the stranger for a second before he turns back to his brother.

“Oh sorry,” Kai smiles. “Jongin, this is…” his words trail off as he realizes he never even asked for a name. He glances at the other man who’s still in a pretty good mood.

“Ah, where are my manners? Do Kyungsoo, nice to meet you.” he takes a sip and seems to revel in the looks he receives. Both Jongin and Kai stare at him in disbelief. He’s that Do Kyungsoo?

The Do Kyungsoo his father kept comparing him to?

He had been talking to him without a clue.

“Oh, we’re-”

“I know who you are.” He raises his glass at them. “Kim Kai and Kim Jongin, please send your father my regards.”

Both of them run out of words to say. He knew who they were? They’ve heard so much of this man and they didn’t think they would get to interact with him at all. Kyungsoo laughs, a mischievous sparkle in his eyes.

“Well then, this was interesting… let’s hope we meet again sometime,” he winks at them before he heads back inside.

The twins stand on the balcony for a few more minutes as they process this situation. Kai’s stare grows colder as he replays their conversation in his head. The flirting, the stares, the closeness, the control. He could see everything his father kept boasting about, and he didn’t like it.

“Do Kyungsoo, huh?”

ing Do Kyungsoo.

 

.*.*.*.*.*.

Jongin walks down the stairs. He’s still adjusting his gloves and his tie. Formal events weren’t really his thing; however, he was going more like the head of security than the head of the syndicate. 

Kai is already waiting for him near the door, followed by Chanyeol.

“What took you so long?” Kai asks. As soon as his brother is close enough, he starts re-adjusting his tie.

Jongin sighed. “I’m not even late.”

“Change that grumpy face,” Kai smiles. “We’re going to a party.”

“Sharing drinks with a bunch of people that would rather see me dead is not my idea of a party,” Jongin rolls his eyes. He hates these events. The only reason he attends is that if he doesn’t protect his brother, he’ll be too much for the others to handle.

Well, maybe it’s more like protecting the other from him.

“It’ll be worth it this time,” the smirk on Kai’s face tells Jongin he has something more planned. “You’ll see.”

“Should I be worried?”

“Not at all.”

They leave the house, with a car following close behind. Jongin quickly learned that for these events, they needed more security than they had expected the first time they ever attended. Especially since they had a lot more to lose now.

They arrived at the place and Chanyeol is the one to give their names and make sure they make it inside. In situations like this, Chanyeol would walk in front of Kai, and Jongin would walk behind him. Neither of them allowed any window for anybody to touch him.

The room is crowded as always. The lack of color in everyone’s attires makes Kai’s bright red suit stand out more than it should. Just like he thought it would. He smirks as he makes his way through the room. Several people approach him when they get the chance. It’s clear that things have changed since that first event they attended.

The result of eight years of hard work.

Kai grabs a glass of something from a passing server. His eyes scan the room for the pair of eyes he’s the most excited to see.

“Hmm… is Do Kyungsoo not here yet?” Kai questions. Pouting just the slightest bit when he realizes the other is not there yet.

“No sir,” Chanyeol replies. 

“How sad, I wanted to see his reaction.” Kai sighs.

“His reaction to what?” Jongin turns to look at his brother after doing a quick scan around the room. He found it hard to relax when anyone could be a threat.

“Patience is a virtue, brother.”

“One that I don’t have.”

A few other attendants approach them to discuss business. They were distracted for a few minutes until his eyes finally spot the figure he had been waiting to see. He didn’t know when he arrived, but as always, he was not disappointed. Whenever he came across Do Kyungsoo, it was a sight to remember.

The man is wearing a dark gray suit that hugs his figure perfectly. Everything from the carefully styled hair to the expensive shoes screamed seduction and danger. Kai’s lips curve into a half-smile that he couldn’t help. It’s a pleasing sight, regardless of their current status.

Kai pushes his empty glass into the hand of the man that is currently talking to him. Not minding the fact that he just interrupted him mid-sentence. He was never the type to be impolite, however, he honestly couldn’t stop himself when it came to Do Kyungsoo.

A few confident steps and then he’s standing next to the other man, waiting for him to feel his presence. The moment Do’s eyes land on him; he feels his heart skip a beat with excitement.

“Nice to see you, Mr. Do.” Kai’s eyes drag lazily over the other man’s figure. Not bothering to conceal his attention. “I was expecting to see you.”

“Were you?” Kyungsoo chuckles. “I assumed I would be the last person you would want to see, Mr. Kim.” He took a sip of his drink. Two men were standing behind him, looking quite uncomfortable. Kai then notices it’s because he’s standing too close. A bit too intimate for someone who was allegedly his rival.

“Oh, you mean that incident.” Kai smiles, his eyes filling with a joy that was almost childish. “Things are looking a lot better, don’t you worry.”

Kyungsoo shrugs. “Glad to see you understand, business is business.”

“I agree.” Kai feels his brother’s presence behind him. His twin glares at the other man without hesitation. He doesn’t say a word.

“It’s nice to see you as well, Mr. Kim.” Kyungsoo smiles. It was a habit of him to annoy Jongin to levels not even humanly possible. Their eyes meet and Kyungsoo’s stare doesn’t falter, sending a clear message.

He is not intimidated.

“Ah, Jongin. We were just discussing the incident the other day.” Kai laughs, patting his brother’s cheek with affection. “I was just about to tell him how thankful we were for his generous donation.”

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. “Generous donation?”

Kai hums. “Now, if you’ll excuse us… I heard the menu is very good this year.” He doesn’t offer any further explanations; Kai turns around, knowing his brother would follow, and heads towards the food table not too far away. He then turns to face him, the smirk never leaving his lips. “Now we wait.”

Jongin doesn’t know what’s going on. However, when he sees one of Kyungsoo’s men step aside to take a phone call, then quickly talk to his boss, is when he knew. Kai really had done something. They could see Kyungsoo frowning in the distance. The way his brain is working is visible in his eyes. And then he put two and two together. He gazes around the room until his stare lands on the twins. He’s not amused this time.

Kai lifts the glass he just grabbed from another passing server. “Business is business.”

Jongin lets out a sigh. “What did you do?”

“He took my client, so I took his merchandise.” Kai shrugs. “Eye for an eye. I have no one to sell this to, but he has nothing to sell now.”

Jongin sighs. His brother could really be something.

Kai smiles. “Isn’t this fun?”