Chapter 6 or look at what your snake made me do.

The Hardship of Desire

 

« Wow! What an incredible little guy! »

Yongsun looks at Hyejin’s pet snake with a mix of wonder and fear.

It was about time for her to meet Layon – that is what Yongsun thought until she realized Layon is a snake and not a cute little kitten like she had imagined from the way Hyejin referred to him. So it is with uncertainty that Yongsun lets Hyejin place the snake in her hands.

Yongsun believes that showing interest in Hyejin’s pet would help the girl open up to her as despite her effort to get Hyejin to get closer to her, she only manages to get few sentences from the girl. After the Quidditch match, she thought she was going somewhere with the girl since Hyejin was the once who invited her to watch the match together.

Unfortunately, it didn’t change anything, and Yongsun spent an entire month pursuing Hyejin. One thing about Hyejin is that the girl is often on her one, making it easy for Yongsun to approach her around the castle. Yongsun continued to try to know more about the girl and to observe her from afar in order to understand her and more than once did Hyejin caught her staring at her. Yongsun would always respond with a charming smile, resulting in Hyejin quickly looking away, embarrassed.

So this afternoon as Hyejin was doing her homework quietly in the Great Hall, Yongsun decided to join her, and she found the best subject to make her talk: her pet, Layon. It was a great idea, until now, as she finds herself with a snake in her hands.

« If you are too scared, he will feel it, but don’t worry he won’t hurt you. Just put it back on the table if it is too much. »

« No. it is fine. I am fine. »

Yongsun looks anxiously at the emerald blue snake moving in the palm of her hands.

« Layon isn’t just a pet, you know. He is my Familiar. He chose me. You know what a Familiar is? »

Yongsun shakes her head slowly, too busy watching the snake now crawling around her wrist.

« It means we share a magical bond with each other. We can communicate with each other. Right now, he knows that you are scared of him, so he is trying to make your relax by massaging your wrist, but… I am not sure it is working. »

« Nice. »

« You have to relax Yongsun. Layon only wants to know you. »

« Sure. »

Yongsun takes a deep breath to calm herself down.

« You can put him down. It is okay to be a bit scared at the beginning. »

Yongsun slowly puts her hands on the table and Layon crawls out of her hands. Hyejin smiles at Yongsun before looking at Layon and telling him he did great. Hyejin speaking Parseltongue takes Yongsun by surprise. Talking about her pet seemed to have been the best idea as she just discovered a new side of the girl.

Hyejin never brags about it. Not even to other Slytherin, knowing how people react to it. This time, it just escaped her because she was a bit too excited to show her pet to someone and seeing that Yongsun made an effort to hold Layon even if she was clearly afraid. It means a lot to her.

Especially as she has been wondering recently why Yongsun has been trying to become her friend. She couldn’t understand why the girl wanted to hang out with her, sat next to her at the library, ate with her during the weekend, and even went to Hogsmeade with her when she could have done all of that with anyone else.

Hyejin was too scared to ask Yongsun directly. And also scared to believe that she was doing it with genuine intentions. Because people have been mean to her before, and she expected someone like Yongsun to be mean to her as well. But seeing her taking Layon in her hands despite her fear made her believe in Yongsun. Plus, she is sure Layon would have reacted if she was a bad person.

« He is… very pretty. His scales are really interesting.»

Hyejin chuckles at Yongsun’s attempt to show that she likes the fact that Layon is a snake. Layon on the other hand has found his way back around Hyejin’s neck, his favorite place and nuzzles against her happy to be with his mistress again.

« It must be nice to share such a special bond with someone. »

Hyejin raises an eyebrow at the comment. It is more the tone of Yongsun’s voice that raises attention. One she hasn’t heard her use until now, as if she has been looking for something without any luck.

« How did you know you could speak Parseltongue? »

« Oh? »

It takes Hyejin out of guard and she needs a few seconds to answer.

« My mom was visiting an old friend of hers and I went with her. Her friend has a real passion for reptiles, he owns hundred of them as he got a really really big property and as I was walking around, I met Layon. He spoke to me and I understood. I told my mom about it and she understood immediately what was happening. Her friend and her helped me establish the bond with Layon and then her friend told me about Parseltongue. That is how… I knew. »

« Wow. That is incredible, Hyejin. »

Hyejin feels her cheeks becoming red at the sincere way Yongsun looks at her. She genuinely believes what she is saying. Also, she feels awkward to have spoken so much. But, Yongsun’s attention on her isn’t one that makes her feel uncomfortable anymore, Hyejin understood it is always genuine and without judgement. Very different to what she expected.

« His scales are really- »

« Don’t- »

« Ouch! »

Yongsun takes her finger to her chest as Layon just bite her as she tried to touch him. Hyejin is frozen. She knows the bite is nothing concerning as Layon’s bites aren’t venomous enough to kill a human, but enough to hurt that is for sure. She sees blood on Yongsun’s white shirt and a wave of guilt crashes over her.

« I am so sorry. I am sorry. Are you okay? I forgot to tell you not to touch him when he is around my neck. I am so sorry. Please, let me look at it. »

Yongsun isn’t responding, cradling her finger to her chest while tears are starting to fall down her cheeks. Hyejin asks her again to show her the bite and Yongsun finally does. It is a clear one on her index finger, the trace of the fangs very clear on her pale skin.

« Am I going to die? »

Hyejin isn’t sure she has understood what Yongsun just said.

« What? »

« Am I going to die, now? »

« No. No, of course not. Yongsun, this might hurt because of the poison but it isn’t strong enough to kill you. It isn’t even strong enough to kill a cat. »

Yongsun nods as she tries to contain her tears and Hyejin is torn between a laugh and a panic attack. She chooses the most logical thing and grabs the first person she sees to ask them to get Byulyi for her. In the meantime, she cleans up Yongsun’s fingers with a tissue while explaining that Layon didn’t do it because he hates her like Yongsun seems to suddenly believes but because he doesn’t like being touched when he is around Hyejin’s neck.

« Hyejin. I am here. I was told it was urgent. »

« Layon bite Yongsun. I… I forgot to- »

« It is fine. Let me see. »

Byulyi takes Yongsun’s finger from Hyejin’s hand and inspects it closely. Yongsun is no longer crying – not that she even did she only had tearful eyes – but waiting for Byulyi to finish her inspection.

« You will be fine. It isn’t even swollen. It will hurt for a while, that is for sure, but otherwise you don’t have to worry about it. »

« Are you sure? »

« Yes. I am more than sure. »

Byulyi rolls up her sleeves to show Yongsun her bitten hands and forearms. Most of the traces are recent as Byulyi enjoys annoying Layon when she feels bored or can’t find sleep at night. It results in a lot of bites, but with time she has grown used to the small poisonous fangs of the snake.

« See? This little guy has bitten me more time than I can count and I am in perfect health. So, you should be good. »

 


 

« What are you doing for Christmas this year? »

November is now coming to an end, meaning December is slowly coming, which is Wheein’s least favorite time of the year. Both of her parents have important positions at the Ministry of Magic, meaning they don’t have much time to spend with their daughter, even on Christmas – especially on Christmas.

The time Wheein went back home during the Christmas break, she spent it feeling lonely and depressed as she had no one to talk to. Her parents were barely home, she spent her time in her books. So, she prefers to spend her Christmas at Hogwarts from now on. It is nice, warm, and comfortable at the castle.

« I thought it could be a good idea for you to come home with me. My parents are inviting you. »

Yongsun looks expectantly at Wheein from the bathroom floor where she is laying down. The two have been sparring in the disused bathrooms on the seventh floor, away from anyone who could possibly catch them as it is currently prohibited at Hogwarts. Their sparing session has been so intense that Yongsun can barely stand on her legs right now.

Wheein, on the other end, is happily swinging her legs over the edge of the sink. It seems that this sparing session didn’t affect her as much as Yongsun who barely managed to stay alive. Her short hair are sticking to her neck due to the sweat and she is still trying to catch her breath.

« It can’t be worse than my family. »

Yongsun chuckles.

« That is a weird way of saying yes, Wheeinie. »

Wheein jumps from the sink she has been sitting on to sit next to Yongsun. She tries not to stare at her chest as Yongsun has ed most of her shirt, leaving her bra and belly on display, but focuses on her face.

« My parents will be so happy to see you again. They like you a lot, you know? »

Wheein does know .It wouldn’t be her first time meeting Yongsun’s parents as she has been inviting there for the summer two years ago. She remembers perfectly as it wasn’t a year like the others, Yongsun almost died, if it hadn’t been for Wheein saving her.

Mr. Humso, the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, organized a Dual Tournament. Yongsun wasn’t participating, but she watched every duel. It took place in the Great Hall and lasted over two weeks. Mr. Humso selected a number of students from each House and each grade, ending up with fifty six participating students. Each day, after the mandatory classes, the duels would be held in the Great Hall before dinner. The duals weren’t long and quickly the best students were spotted.

During the second week, there were only two duels a day, building up the excitement for the very last day of the tournament, the classes got cancelled as it was impossible for them to focus due to the final happening in the evening. Instead, Mr. Humso decided to organize the semi-finals in the morning and the big finale in the afternoon after lunch.

Wheein was a second year at this time, but her potential as a witch was already exceptional, making her one of the semi-finalists. George, a fourth year Hufflepuff at the time, had managed his way there as well. River, a sixth year Slytherin, was on the line-up as well after cruelly defeating all of his opponents, imposing himself as a fearful wizard. Finally, Byulyi completes the line up after having received an intense training by Mr. Humso himself.

The first semi-finale opposed Byulyi to George. Byulyi won thanks to the use of an ingenious spell that George couldn’t counter. It made the crowd adore Byulyi even more as she was already adored as Slytherin Seeker, but now she was also known for her abilities as a witch which really boosted her ego – which Hyejin didn’t thing was a good idea.

The second semi-finale opposed Wheein to River. River was taller, larger and older than Wheein. Yet, Wheein didn’t feel impressed by him, she fought every single one of her adversaries with confidence – at least that is what she wants people to believe – and was ready to go for victory. Even if she knew River wouldn’t be an easy opponent. The first minute, nothing happened, neither of them moved, waiting for the other to make the first move.

Wheein took a breath before throwing her spell and River reacted immediately by casting a spell. But his spell wasn’t meant for Wheein, but for the ceiling, more precisely the candlestick. He broke the magic spell keeping it floating and Wheein saw how it was going to crash right on a girl sitting in the audience without realizing what was actually happening. Wheein didn’t think about it for a second and threw her spell at the candlestick making it explode in flowers’ petals. River took the opportunity to attack Wheein.

Wheein ended up propelled at the other side of the Great Hall and River won the duel. Wheein immediately got taken to the Infirmary and she wasn’t able to move for a few hours. Even with the Nurse’s potions, she couldn’t move a finger without feeling atrocious pain everywhere.

Byulyi won the final against River. She did it more for Wheein then for herself as she was so angry to what River did to Wheein. At this time, Byulyi and Wheein weren’t friend yet, but rivals on the Quidditch Pitch and Byulyi couldn’t stand unfairness.

After the Dual Tournament, the Headmaster prohibited it. Thanks to River’s stunt which almost killed a student. Yongsun remembers this event more often than she admits it. Ever since, she has been feeling very grateful to Wheein. She visited her at the Infirmary until she was released and eventually they became friends.

And when Yongsun’s parents found out about it, they invited Wheein over for the summer as a thank you gesture for what she did for their daughter. Wheein wasn’t a big fan of the overwhelming attention she was given by the Kim at the beginning, but eventually got used to their way of showing how they cared.

« My parents said Yonghee will be here too. »

Wheein lights up at the mention of Yongsun’s sister.

Yonghee is Yongsun’s older sister that Wheein adores. It is actually reciprocal and Yonghee adores Wheein just as much. She even sent Wheein letters for her birthday and at the end of each year she offers her gift for her head work.

« You can tell your parents I am happy to join them for Christmas. »

 


 

« Hyejin? »

Yongsun walks inside one of the greenhouses as one of Hyejin’s friends told her she could find her there. She walks further in, despite the sudden heat of the greenhouse taking over her, forcing her to take off her coat. She even pulls on her tie to feel more comfortable.

Yongsun continues into the Second Greenhouse where highly dangerous plants are being grown. It makes Yongsun pull her wand out, ready to defend herself against any one of the living dangerous plants which could attack her. She goes through the greenhouse unarmed and continues to search for Hyejin in the Third Greenhouse.

« I swear! You bouncing bulbs are gonna regret ever meeting me! »

Yongsun smiles when she hears Hyejin’s voice. Found her. She hears her before she sees her. The girl is trying to push a bouncing bulb inside a bag. Yongsun observes her from afar for a moment, it is obvious that Hyejin doesn’t know how to properly handle this plant as the last think to do with bouncing bulbs is to threaten them.

Hyejin loses her grasp on the bouncing bulb she was holding. Resulting in the bouncing bulb attacking her. Yongsun almost covers her ears from the intensity of swearing Hyejin just got out of . The younger girl tries to run after the bouncing bulb which jumps again and hits Hyejin right on the face, making her fall on the ground just in front of Yongsun.

Yongsun quickly squats down to avoid the bouncing bulb. The purple plants are well-known for their aggressiveness when feeling threaten, so Yongsun prefers to let the bulb alone for while until it calms down.

« An impressive performance. »

Hyejin sighs. Yongsun helps her sitting down and explains her how does bouncing bulb work. Yongsun kindly helps Hyejin with the dirt on her uniform and puts some of her hair back behind her ear.

« Here. All better. »

« What are you doing here, Yongsun? »

« I was looking for you. And… it seems that you are in the need for some help. »

Hyejin feels the usual heat rising to her cheek when Yongsun is around. Especially when she looks at her with so much sincerity in her eyes. There is never any judgement in the way she looks at Hyejin, even right now when she ridiculed herself in front of her.

« Mr. Greysom asked me to pick some bouncing bulbs for his Pompion potion. But those plants are so stubborn! »

Yongsun smiles.

« You aren’t using the right technic. Come on, I’ll show you. »

Yongsun looks around and it seems that it has calmed down out there. She takes Hyejin’s hand in hers and leads her toward the rebellious plant. She catches it expertly, before it could react, pushes it into the bag Hyejin is holding and closes it. Hyejin is impressed which makes Yongsun smile even brighter – all proud of herself.

« And here you go. »

Yongsun walks with Hyejin out of the greenhouse while bumping her hand with Hyejin’s on purpose. Hyejin tries to ignore it the best she can, so she opens the conversation.

« Why were you looking for me? »

« Oh. Well, ever since the accident with Layon, I feel like you have been distant. I wanted to talk with you about it. »

« I am sorry. So sorry about Layon. »

Yongsun looks at Hyejin with puppy like eyes which works on making Hyejin smile. It is true that she has been avoiding Yongsun, because she felt guilty about the whole accident. She thought Yongsun and her were growing closer but the incident made her feel so terrible about herself that she preferred to avoid her all at once.

« Don’t worry. I don’t blame it on Layon. I am okay. I promise you, I am good. »

Yongsun shows Hyejin her finger which has completely healed ever since. There is barely any scar left which makes Hyejin feel a little better about the whole incident. Yongsun smiles brightly at her, her sparkling brown eyes full of hope.

« Also… I had something I wanted to tell you. »

« Yes? »

Yongsun breaths in to calm herself down and she swallows her saliva nervously. She has been thinking about it for a while now. Actually, ever since Hyejin showed her Layon. It has nothing to do with Layon, but everything to do with the excitement which animated Hyejin as she was explaining everything about Layon to her.

It was the first time that Hyejin actively lead the conversation between them. It made Hyejin shined into a new light in her eyes, one that Yongsun would have never expected. It took Yongsun a moment to digest it as she has always praise herself into never catching feelings. So, it took her by surprise when she realized what was happening.

At first, it was just a game. She found Hyejin pretty and interesting. Mostly, easy to tease, and it amused her a lot. This is why she pursued her at the beginning, plus she knew Hyejin found her pretty as well - something she picked up fairly quickly. But now, it is different.

Yongsun pushes a lock of hair out of Hyejin’s face, grazing her cheek from the tips of her fingers. Hyejin’s breath is caught in when Yongsun moves closer. Hyejin tries to keep her breathing steady but the closer Yongsun gets, the more difficult it becomes. Yongsun’s eyes are looking at her intensely, her warm pupils are full of expectations.

« I am not ready good with my words. So, let me show you. »

Yongsun leans in to close the small gap between them. And she kisses Hyejin.