Chapter 21 or do not leave Hyejin and Wheein alone for too long

The Hardship of Desire

 

« Byulyi said she would be training for next week- Do I have something on my face? Why are you looking at me like that? »

 

« You have chocolate on your mouth, Wheein. What are you? Seven? Don’t you check yourself in the mirror? »

 

« Just clean it, already. »

 

Hyejin leans over and starts to rub Wheein’s cheek with her finger for the chocolate to disappear. Wheein looks at her with a childish pout on her lips, but Hyejin doesn’t give it any attention.

 

The two are siting next to each other for their History of Magic class – it became a habit after the Christmas break. The Ravenclaw and Slytherin are not ashamed to publicly show their friendship, even if some Slytherin believe they shouldn’t be mixing with others.

 

« Here. You look your age, now. »

 

« Very funny. … Thank you. »

 

Hyejin sighs, but doesn’t make any comment.

 

« Excuse me, Jung Speed. Do you mind? »

 

Hyejin turns to see Dana seemingly asking something to Wheein with only the power of her eyes. Wheein lets out a quiet sigh before gathering her stuff and standing up, giving away her spot to Dana. Hyejin looks at Wheein with confusion, but the girl only offers her a smile as a response.

 

« Hi, Hyejin. »

 

« Hi. Why did you take Wheein’s spot? »

 

Dana seems to search for an answer. The more time passes, the redder her cheeks become. Hyejin doesn’t drop the subject, and even when the teacher starts the class, she expects Dana to answer her.

 

« You are very weird, you know that? »

 

« Weird? You think I am weird? »

 

Hyejin sees a flash of hurt in Dana’s eyes and she regrets her words. Instead she decides to focus on the class – a first. As always, this subject bores her, and so her attention goes back to Dana sitting next to her. It is strange for the girl to be so quiet.

 

« What happened to you? You are usually more chatty. »

 

« I… I am following the class. »

 

« You always borrow Wheein’s notes for this class. »

 

« So do you. »

 

« Touché. »

 

Hyejin and Dana chuckle, and exchange a look of amusement before focusing back on the class even if neither of them is actually listening to what the teacher is saying.

 

« You really think I am weird? »

 

« Only when you are this quiet. »

 

Dana nods to herself. She starts to play with her long blonde hair

 

« I had a nice time with you at my birthday. This is why I asked Wheein to change seat with me. »

 

« Hum… You could have just asked me to sit next to you. »

 

« True. »

 

Hyejin is amused by the situation, her attention is now on Dana rather than the class. The girl is nervously playing with her hair, it makes it difficult for Hyejin to see her face. The Slytherin pushes the blonde locks behind Dana’s ear and smiles when the girl look at her with a surprised face.

 

« I couldn’t see your face. »

 

« Ah… Sorry. »

 

« Thank you for inviting me to your birthday despite … Well you know. Anyway, I appreciate you a lot too. We should hang out the three of us with Wheein one of these days. »

 

« Totally. Yep. »

 


 

« Hyejin. We have a paper to finish. »

 

Wheein grabs Hyejin’s hand in a motion to drag her to the library, but the girl escapes as she is in an intense conversation with Dana. Wheein groans and tries again.

 

« Hyejin. »

 

« I am coming. Sorry Dana, the gremlin is becoming angry. »

 

Dana only smiles at Hyejin as the girl waves her goodbye before turning around and following Wheein on the way to the library. The Ravenclaw doesn’t make any comment on the situation, only complaining under her breath that Hyejin isn’t taking their studies seriously.

 

« Come on. Don’t be a monster about it. I was going to join you. »

 

« You can talk with Dana as much as you wish any other time of the year. »

 

« Got it. »

 

They arrive to the library, and find a spot at the very back where no one can disturb then. Hyejin prepare her parchment and plume while Wheein is busy selecting books for their research. It gives time to the Slytherin to think back on Dana. It picks her curiosity a lot, the sudden attention the girl is giving her.

 

« Here. You take this pile. »

 

« That’s five books. I won’t have the time to read all of that. »

 

« It is fine. Let’s just do as much as we can before the library closes. »

 

Hyejin lets out a tired sigh before opening the first book and scanning the summary to find what she is looking for.

 


 

« Fancy seeing you here, Dana. »

 

Dana lets out a small chuckle before sliding in her seat right next to Hyejin. They are having Potion class together, and Hyejin naturally invited Dana to sit next to her. Since the work tables can welcome up to four students, Wheein also sit with them, right in front of Hyejin.

 

The Potion class is quite early and Wheein is still feeling sleepy. She doesn’t pay much attention to the conversation Hyejin and Dana are having. Instead, she is busy keeping her eyes opened and finding the correct page for today’s lesson.

 

« You didn’t know? »

 

« How do you even know? Who told you? »

 

« I can’t say. »

 

Hyejin chuckles as Dana gives her a long look. The two seem in their little world, following the lesson with a distracted ear – Hyejin gets a free pass from Mr. Greysom since he appreciates her.

 

Wheein is focused on the Potion she is making, some of her fellow Ravenclaw ask her for help and she does so without minding. Mr. Greysom even spends a few minutes talking with her about her future at Hogwarts, he keeps complimenting her skills in Potion and telling her how it could profit her to take this class for her NEWT.

 

The Ravenclaw doesn’t really have any thoughts about what classes she will take for her NEWT. She hasn’t even gotten her OWL yet. There is a certain sadness which come with the future for Wheein. She loves her life at Hogwarts the best, every single friends she met and every little adventure she had, they are all precious memories to her heart.

 

« Think about it, Miss Jung. »

 


 

« Dana and you have been spending an awful lot of time together. »

 

Hyejin raises her head from her parchment. Wheein acts like it is a random topic of conversation and she isn’t affected, she continues to read through the book she borrowed.

 

« Well… Dana and I go along pretty well. »

 

« I saw that. »

 

Hyejin squints her eyes, she notices Wheein small pout and how she keeps playing with her plume rather than writing down on her parchment. Hyejin lets out a quiet sigh, it seems like her friend is dealing with a case of jealousy.

 

« Wheein… It doesn’t mean we are less friends. Is that what is bothering you? »

 

« I am not bothered. I was just asking. »

 

Wheein doesn’t dare looking at Hyejin, she turns the page of her book but she hasn’t read a single word on the previous page. She needs to busy herself so she doesn’t seem affected.

 

« I think it would be great for us three to hang out together. I mean, the three of us are friends, aren’t we? »

 

« Sure… »

 

Wheein shrugs and goes back to her book, this time reading the words in front of her and scribbling down some notes on her parchment. Hyejin keeps looking at the girl, something isn’t right. Clearly her words aren’t what Wheein wants to hear.

 

The Slytherin feels her heart clenching in her chest when she realizes the silent truth of Wheein. The girl wants to spend some time with only her. Wheein values her as an important friend of hers, despite all the persons, all the students who look up to her, who are after her, she chooses Hyejin.

 

« You are right, we should hang out together too. Just the two of us, right? »

 

Wheein finally looks up from her book, and Hyejin smiles wide at the girl.

 


 

« Winning next game won’t be enough. »

 

Byulyi is standing in the middle of the Slytherin’s changing rooms, her uniform dirty from the practice they just had. The girl, also captain of the Quidditch team is determined to win the Cup; but to achieve that Slytherin needs to have enough point to catch up with Ravenclaw and even create a large gap.

 

The girl is decided, there is no way she will lose the cup this year. One of the reasons of her sudden need to win is Hyejin’s gift which will only reveal its true self if Slytherin wins the Cup. Byulyi wants to honor her friend’s gift, and she is ready to fight for it.

 

Hufflepuff isn’t the hardest team to beat. So far, they even lost all of their game. The problem is the last match, Gryffindor against Ravenclaw. The two team have such good keepers it may be to Byulyi’s advantage as they won’t be able to score a lot and it will be hard to even out with Slytherin.

 

It doesn’t change the fact that Byulyi has a plan, and that right now is the moment for her team to know about it. Their goal next week isn’t just to win, but to score as many goal as possible before Byulyi catch the Golden Snitch.

 

« Everyone, I believe in you. We are gonna win this Cup! »

 


 

« Are you ready? »

 

Lily nods, she happily walks next to Yongsun as they head out of their common room. The two are on their way to Hogsmeade, along with the early days of May, the weather is rather clement and Yongsun is even wearing a short skirt.

 

Lily is hanging to Yongsun’s arm who lets her. The two are having a nice talk over some of the event who happened this week at Hogwarts, such as the one student who got tricked by the stairs for a whole hour, the one who is still afraid of the ghosts and screamed in the Great Hall during dinner, etc. It is comfortable, and Yongsun even enjoys Lily’s company.

 

« Remember, this isn’t a date. We are just hanging out together. »

 

Lily nods happily, what Yongsun is saying doesn’t even affect her mood, she is just too happy to be hanging out with the girl.

 

They enter the Three Broomstick which is not as crowded as usual – with the good weather, students prefer to enjoy a pick-nick alongside the Great Lake. Yongsun chooses a table near one of the window to enjoy the sunlight. Lily sits in front of her, eyes sparkling with excitement.

 

« I didn’t tell you yet, but I really like your outfit. You look really pretty. »

 

Yongsun raises an eyebrow at Lily’s words. The girl bits her lips, there is so much of Yongsun that she likes. Having her in front of her like this is already so much more than she expected. When she asked the girl to go out with her, she was expecting a negative responses but Yongsun surprised her. Maybe the older girl likes her more than she says?

 

« Last time we talked… You said you had feelings for me. Has been for a long time? »

 

« I think… During my second year. The year you won the Cup… I suddenly had a lot of interest in you, and then… I just knew I think… »

 

Lily can feel herself starting to lose herself in her words. Yongsun saves her by taking her hand in hers and gently caressing it. Her flamboyant pupils are looking at Lily with such a gentle attention, it helps the young Gryffindor calm down.

 

« I don’t want you to have false hope. »

 

« I know. This isn’t a date. You don’t date. But, you said you will give me a chance when you graduate. »

 

« Yeah… I said that. »

 

« So in the meantime, I want to have opportunities for us to know each other. So don’t worry too much, Yongsun. »

 

Lily gives the older girl a large smile. She responds with only a small one.

 

Yongsun listens intensely to Lily when she talks, and always provide good questions. The girl used to be so shy, but as she grew up, Yongsun developed her social skills a lot. Hogwarts is full of people, and in a way it forces you to get out of your shell. It hasn’t been all that easy, but now, Yongsun can hold a conversation with almost anyone and befriend people easily.

 

Her flirting nature helps a lot. She is naturally attractive, and talks well, so she doesn’t have to try that hard. But right now, with Lily she isn’t acting flirtatious. She is listening, engaging with the girl in a friendly manner. She makes it a point not to respond to the girl flirty comments, and focus on the conversation.

 

It is almost the beginning of the evening when they reach back the castle. Yongsun lets Lily hug her, and rubs her back warmly before parting way with the girl. Instead of heading toward the Gryffindor Tower, she walks to the classroom only known of the four friends, but no one is here.

 

By the window, she sees Byulyi on the Quidditch field, preparing for next week match. Unfortunately, Wheein and Hyejin seem impossible to find, and it is with a disappointed face that she decides to go back to the Gryffindor Tower.

 


 

« I am almost done. Hyejin, can you find me this page, please? »

 

« I am busy with my own paper! Do it yourself. »

 

« Come on, Hyejin! »

 

Hyejin grunts, she pushes the book in question toward Wheein and opens it to a random page while Wheein is busy looking for a lost plume under the table.

 

The duo has been working on their paper for the whole week now, and tomorrow it is time for them to hand it back. The teacher has been kind enough to grant them more time with the event in the Forbidden Forest, but they are still struggling to meet the deadline.

 

« It isn’t the right page! Hyejin! »

 

« Do it yourself then! I have my paper to finish too! »

 

Wheein turns the pages a bit too aggressively before going back to writing down the informations. Their distress is so terrible that they let out a faint scream when they see most of the students leaving. The library is closing and they aren’t done yet.

 

Wheein feels tears threatening to spill on her cheeks – she has always managed to hand back her papers on time, and it is killing me to see herself failing to do so this time. Hyejin swears when she realizes she did a spelling mistake.

 

« AAAAAAAH! I hope the mean librarian won’t kick us out. »

 

« Stop putting the bad eye on us. »

 

« I am not! I said I was hoping it wouldn’t happen! »

 

« Just shut up, Hyejin! »

 

They look at each other for a split second while frowning before going back to their parchment. Wheein keeps making noises with and Hyejin kicks her under the table, earning herself a swear word from the Ravenclaw.

 

It takes them another few exchanges of swearing before they are both done with their parchment. They high five each other like winner of the Quidditch Cup, and quickly put back the books before cleaning up their table. Wheein then leads the way toward the exit of the library.

 

The Ravenclaw is surprised to see that the librarian isn’t here, but she isn’t going to stay to find out why and she pushes the heavy doors. Except they don’t move.

 

« Hyejin… The doors are locked. »

 

« What? »

 


 

« Oh. You are here. »

 

« Hello to you too, Yongsun. »

 

Byulyi gives Yongsun a small smile. It doesn’t need a genius to know the upcoming match is making her anxious. Yongsun doesn’t comment on Byulyi’s state, instead she sits on the opposite couch of the one Byulyi is using.

 

« How are you doing? »

 

« I have been searching for you guys, but I couldn’t find any of you so I went back to the common room but then I felt bored. »

 

« I don’t remember you struggling to enjoy your free time. »

 

« Yeah… Because before I was busy with girls… and boys. »

 

Byulyi bites her lips. Right, Yongsun has seen to stop adding conquest to her long list ever since she has started dating Hyejin. Maybe the time with the Slytherin changed her?

 

« Are you having trouble finding… people? »

 

Yongsun scoffs. The Gryffindor feels almost insulted, she is and will always be everyone’s crush at Hogwarts. She is very much aware of people’s thoughts about her, and even if she acts like she doesn’t know, she loves the attention. The thing is, she never expects people to have more than a crush over her. Since she is very reluctant to open up about her feelings, she doesn’t really understand how people catch feelings over her. In her head, it is never that serious.

 

« I just had a date. »

 

« I thought you didn’t date. »

 

« Well… I don’t… It was more of a hang out. »

 

Yongsun shots a dark look in Byulyi’s direction. She doesn’t like how the girl is making her search for her words. In fact, she doesn’t like how she has a hard time being in full control of herself around Byulyi. The girl isn’t special like Wheein is.

 

Her flamboyant brown eyes study Byulyi longly. While it makes sense for Yongsun how Hyejin and her became so close they even formed a couple for a few months, it doesn’t seem to make sense how Byulyi is now becoming an important part of her life at Hogwarts.

 

Before this year, they have never interacted out of the Quidditch field. Everyone kept it to themselves, but Yongsun was always very aware of Byulyi’s existence. The Slytherin impressed her on the field, and she always had respect for her skills as a leader. Everyone always talked very positively of the Slytherin captain, and Yongsun even got a bit jealous of the attention given to her. She wanted people to look at her this way too, and she wanted to have a bit of what Byulyi was giving to everyone except her.

 

In the end, she got what she wanted. Except, she doesn’t seem to like it. She didn’t like being a leader, it put too much expectations on her shoulders, and she barely handled it. And she doesn’t like the way Byulyi looks at her, like… like she knows so much about her.

 

« What are you doing here, anyway? »

 

« Slytherin common room is too chaotic for me. I needed some calm to focus on the match. »

 

« Like it was possible to lose to Hufflepuff, anyway. »

 

Byulyi raises an eyebrow. It seems that Yongsun doesn’t learn from her mistake when it concerns Hufflepuff. The Gryffindor really has a problem with their Quidditch team, or maybe it is just their captain. Byulyi doesn’t know and she won’t encourage Yongsun to say distasteful thing about the poor Hufflepuff.

 

« I am aiming for the Cup. »

 

Yongsun titles her head to the side. The defiance in her eyes is almost making Byulyi freeze on her spot…

 

« You wish. Gryffindor has a revenge to take. »

 

« Bring it on. »

 

… But Byulyi is Slytherin captain and she isn’t scared of no one. Not even of the flamboyant look in Yongsun’s pupils. Or maybe just a little.

 


 

« Just unlock it with a spell! »

 

« I… I don’t have my wand with me. »

 

« What? How so? Are you dum- »

 

« Ggomo ran away with earlier and I didn’t think I would need it since I didn’t have class for the rest of the day! »

 

« … »

 

« Don’t you have your wand on you? »

 

« Yeah. Here. »

 

Hyejin gets her wand out of her work robe and hands it to Wheein. The Ravenclaw looks at her friend, questioning what ever she is expecting her to do right now.

 

« Hyejin just unlock the door. Why are you handing me your wand? »

 

« I don’t know any spell. You do it! »

 

« Fine. »

 

Wheein wonders how Hyejin even made it this far in her schooling when the girl greatly at Charm, or casting any spell actually. Somehow, she always has something wrong, either the movement of her wand or the formula. The number of time she threw a wrong spell and ended up with a new anecdote is impossible to count.

 

Mr. Poe – the Head of Slytherin – thinks it is very funny, but Miss Vera disagree very much.

 

Hyejin is rather skillful with everything that doesn’t need her to use her magic directly. Like Potion, Herbology, Astronomy, Divination, or even Music. It doesn’t mean she can’t throw any spell, it just means in time of crises she prefers not trying.

 

Wheein takes Hyejin’s wand in her hand. The feeling is very weird, Wheein tries to focus to throw her spell, but she just can’t.

 

« I can’t. Your wand… Your wand is not working for me. »

 

« It is just a wand. Throw the spell, Wheein. »

 

« It isn’t just a wand. It won’t work if I do it using your wand. »

 

« Why do you say that? »

 

« I don’t know. I can just feel it. It is fine, you will throw the spell. »

 

« I don’t know the spell. »

 

« I will tell you. You just have to imitate me. »

 

« Wheein… You know how it always goes with me. Especially when I am under pressure. »

 

« I am not pressuring you. No one is. »

 

« I can still feel some. »

 

« Hyejin. Just close your eyes, and stop talking. »

 

Hyejin gives Wheein a light punch on the arm before closing her eyes and focusing. The girl trusts her friend, she knows she will always get them out of any situation. She takes a deep breath and relaxes.

 

« Okay, now. Raise your hand. »

 

Hyejin listens to Wheein’s instruction. Except this time, it feels different from all the other times she used her wand. There seem to be a special connection she never noticed before between her and her wand. Hyejin executes every single one of Wheein’s commands.

 

« Here! You did it! »

 

« What! How! »

 

Wheein gathers their belongings and takes Hyejin by the hand. She only closes the door with her feet, she will not try her chance for a second spell with Hyejin.

 

« Okay. Let’s go, before- Mrs. Vera… I can explain. »

 

« I am sure you can, Miss Jung. »

 

Wheein lets out a heavy sigh as Hyejin and her follow the woman to her office. Why is she so unlucky?

 


 

« What about your wand? Stuck on the roof of the castle, right? »

 

« Yeah… Something like that. »

 

« Did you find out why Wheein’s spell wasn’t working? If it was only stuck then… Was there something else? »

 

Yongsun asks her question, but her attention is on something else – she doesn’t notice Byulyi’s state.

 

« Okay. We lied. The wand was in Pearley’s office. We went there and brought it back. »

 

Yongsun drops the box she was playing with and turns toward Byulyi who is squirming on the couch, clearly uncomfortable. The Gryffindor only throw this subject while waiting for Hyejin or Wheein to come join them in the classroom, she wasn’t expecting Byulyi’s answer.

 

« I am so sorry. I know you hate lies, and it wasn’t my intentions. It is just Wheein- »

 

« What Wheein? »

 

« Wheein answered with the roof excuse and I thought she had a reason to not tell you about it, but I didn’t have the time to ask her. I am sorry. »

 

Yongsun doesn’t respond, her face is impossible to read, and it surprises Byulyi to see this new face of the woman. She is usually very bright, or very focus on other occasions, sometimes she is tired, or maybe upset, or teasing, but she is never blank.

 

« Where is Wheein? I need to talk to her. »

 

« Hyejin told me they had a paper to hand back tomorrow so they will spend their time at the library. They must still be here. »

 

« The library is closed at this hour. »

 

Byulyi nods to herself, she really never visit it. Yongsun seems to think for a second, before heading out of the classroom. Byulyi runs after her, she doesn’t want Wheein to affront Yongsun on her own.

 

The Slytherin really did not reveal the truth to Yongsun on purpose, it just that the Gryffindor can be so intimidating at times. Maybe she is scared of the flamboyant look in her pupils after all.

 


 

« You are a regular in my office, Miss Jung. It is a first time for you Miss Ahn, but I heard you were a regular in Mr. Poe’s. »

 

The two fifth years look at their shoes. Wheein tried to make herself heard by the Head of Gryffindor during the way to her office, but to no vain. Hyejin didn’t even try. If it had been Mr. Poe, she knows she could have get it out without much trouble as the teacher finds most of her behavior funny and only worth of a small punishment.

 

Mrs. Vera on the other hand, believes in respecting the regulation of the school. She told the two girls it wasn’t hard to use the library during the opening time and that forcing the entrance was very unheard of. Even if they had great intention, the rules were the rules.

 

Mrs. Vera almost thanked Merlin that the two girls did not try to oppose her decision. It is in those moments that she realized how stubborn Gryffindor actually are. If it had been any one of her students in front of her, she would still be arguing over the situation. Wheein was indeed a Ravenclaw, the girl was very much right the last time they talked.

 

« You are both suspended from visiting Hogsmeade for the next two weeks. »

 

Hyejin lets out a growl, while Wheein sighs loudly. They then both excused themselves out, and Mrs. Vera smiled when she sees them bow out of respect and excuse to her for their behaviour.

 

 


Bonjour :):

Made it that far! Congratulations! :):

Anyway, this chapter was much lighter, I had a lot of fun writing it. I love Wheein and Hyejin together, don't they seem like a catastrophe waiting to happen? it is very different from Byulyi and Wheein as they just love challenging their stupid ideas. While Hyejin and Wheein are just trying their best but their chemistry is just very chaotic.

As for Byulyi and Yongsun, it seems as if they will never quite manage to form a friendship. I don't really know what is the problem with them but surely it is that Yongsun didn't choose Byulyi. It was kinda imposed on her that the girl comes into her life too. Something like that. Since she is close with Wheein and then Hyejin, it only made sense for Byulyi to become closer to her whether she wants it or not and I think it has always bothered her. She doesn't really know what to do about Byulyi and her.

Well, I managed to update because I have a long weekend since we have a celebration day over there! End of WW1 related. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, which was a bit slower but it made sense and it is needed to see where are the relationships between the characters. So, on this note, I say bye, until next time! :): Next time is the Quidditch match, indeed! Slytherin VS Hufflepuff!