Chapter 19 or there is a hundred different ways to look at a story

The Hardship of Desire

 

« It has been quite some time for us. »

 

Yongsun dives her head under the water of the Great Lake, her eyes already used to the greenish light easily focusing on the underworld.

 

Seaweeds, fishes, and other creatures continue their busy life in the ecosystem, unaware of the student enjoying her swim with them. Yongsun kicks the water to go even deeper, she can’t see the bottom of the lake, but as always she glows in the freedom of the eternal water.

 

The girl goes back to the surface where a girl is waiting for her. Green eyes, long brown hair, and a face full of freckles, Jin a sixth-year Gryffindor like Yongsun, is sitting on the grass near the Great Lake.

 

Yongsun walks out of the water, she takes the towel given to her, and sits next to Jin, under the first sunray of the day.

 

« It eventually comes back to us. »

 

« How have you been, Yong? »

 

Yongsun lets her head rest on Jin’s shoulder, her short hair wets her shirt but the girl doesn’t complain. She even puts her arm around Yongsun’s shoulders to bring her closer.

 

Yongsun thinks a long time, letting all her memories come back slowly to her, reliving every moment of her turbulent year behind her eyelids. Jin waits, even if it seems Yongsun will never speak, she knows her answer will come once she is ready.

 

Yongsun explains with few words, straight to the point. Her disastrous Quidditch season, her failed relationship with Hyejin and her new friendships.

 

Jin doesn’t interrupt her, and when she finishes, she doesn’t say anything. Yongsun ends up hugging her, hiding her head in her neck, and wetting Jin’s clothes. They lay in the grass, Yongsun cuddled on top of Jin.

 

« Don’t you think it is funny, how every year we meet at this time? »

 

Yongsun doesn’t answer, with her eyes closed she stays snuggled in Jin’s embrace.

 

« Do you want me to take care of the end of the year? »

 

« No. I just want you to take care of me. »

 

Jin nods, she rubs Yongsun’s back and leaves a kiss on her forehead. Yongsun hugs herself closer to Jin, she doesn’t feel the tears slowly rolling from the corner of her eyes.

 

Yongsun can count the people she trusts on one hand, Jin is one of them. They met in the Hogwarts Express their first year at Hogwarts when they were ten years old, Yongsun thought Jin was really pretty and she shyly sat next to her, waiting for the girl to eventually talk to her.

 

Jin was as shy as Yongsun, but she shared her freshly bought Chocolate Frogs with her as a tentative to be closer. They stuck together, a shy duo; except Yongsun always had her character and it sometimes could be explosive.

 

Every year, Yongsun got more and more popular, and solicited left and right on diverse occasions, leaving less space around her for Jin. The girl never minded, she continued her education, blossoming around her circle of friends. Yet, a couple of months before the end of the year, Yongsun and Jin would always find their way to each other.

 

« I don’t know if my boyfriend will be okay with this. »

 

Yongsun bites the skin in front of . Jin yelps but doesn’t try to get away from Yongsun.

 

« You don’t have a boyfriend. »

 

« I could. »

 

« You would have told me. »

 

« Surely. »

 

Yongsun hums, she kisses the skin she just bites, satisfied by Jin’s answer. It sends goosebumps down the girl’s spine. It isn’t the first time, it won’t be the last.

 


 

« You know how to make the school talk about you. »

 

« I am working right now. »

 

Remy sighs, annoyed at Yongsun’s response.

 

Inside the library, there is nothing much he can do to get the girl to cooperate. She keeps looking through the pages of her book, scribbling notes from time to time. There is not a care in the world for Remy.

 

The boy decides to sit next to Yongsun, his hazel eyes burning holes on the side of her face. Yongsun flips a page, pauses to read it attentively, and continues to flip the next page.

 

« Spill it. You know I prefer when things are straight to the point. »

 

« There are other ways to spend your time. »

 

« I said straight to the point. »

 

« Don’t play with Sam. »

 

Yongsun nods to herself, she is focused on her research and not on Remy’s words.

 

« Yongsun. »

 

The girl finally turns her head to look at Remy. Annoyance burns in her brown pupils.

 

« Other people’s ual life is none of your business. »

 

« It is when it concerns a friend of mine. »

 

« Sam is a big girl. »

 

« Yongsun. »

 

Remy growls her name, but it doesn’t impress the girl. She closes her books and starts to clean up her study spot.

 

« I hope you are proud. You made me lose my focus. »

 

Yongsun stands up, immediately followed by Remy. They exit the library and walk down the corridor toward the moving staircases.

 

« I don’t want you messing around with Sam. »

 

« Leave me alone. »

 

« This is serious. »

 

« I said. Leave. Me. Alone. »

 

Remy grips her arm and turns Yongsun around to face her. The girl grits her teeth, jaw clenching as her anger starts to build up. It only needs a little triggering for Yongsun to start swelling.

 

« I have never judged your relationships, nor your decisions. But there is a line Yongsun, and you know it. »

 

« You may have dated Sam in the past but she isn’t your girlfriend anymore. You don’t have a say. »

 

« You know it isn’t about Sam. »

 

Yongsun grimaces, she frees her arm from Remy’s hold, but she doesn’t walk away. The two friends glare longly at each other, resolved to not let the other win this staring contest.

 

« The Yongsun I know would never do such a thing. »

 

Yongsun doesn’t respond.

 

Remy sighs, he doesn’t want to fight with the girl. He only wants to make her see what she is doing is wrong. Unfortunately, Yongsun refuses to listen to him. Which is unlike the girl, and this is why Remy insists again.

 

« Yongsun, I am only angry at you because I am worried. Sam is in a relationship already, you can’t fool around with people in a relationship. Especially when you aren’t even discrete about it. »

 

« Leave. Me. Alone. »

 

Yongsun turns around, walking toward the staircases. Remy doesn’t miss how the girl controls herself, her education prohibits her from being openly angry at people older than her. Remy tried to use it to his advantage, but Yongsun refuses to be reasoned.

 


 

« Here you are. »

 

Hyejin rolls her eyes, it seems obvious to the girl there isn’t another spot where to find her at this hour.

 

« So? »

 

Wheein chuckles, she sits down on the couch of the empty classroom they use as a place to hang out. Hyejin has all the windows opened, it lets the spring wind ruffle through their hair and their uniform.

 

« I see perfectly. Even while flying fast, it is the same as it has always been. »

 

Hyejin hums, even if she is focused on something else, she lets a smile graze her lips.

 

Wheein just had her first Quidditch training for the last match of the season. Her eye worried her at first, and it explains why she took such a long time before hopping on her broom again.

 

« I found this in my pocket. »

 

Hyejin turns around. Wheein greets her with a cherry lollipop and a cheeky grin.

 

Hyejin’s favorite candy is the muggle’s cherry lollipop, she only swears by those candies. Wheein isn’t a big fan of those, but the last time she went to Honeydukes she saw the cherry candy and decided to buy some for Hyejin.

 

« I ran out of those, and my mom refuses to send me some. I don’t know where you found those, but I love you right now. »

 

Wheein’s smile only grows wider. Hyejin already has the lollipop between her lips which immediately turns red.

 

The duo watch in silence as the sun sets on the horizon. The word becomes orange, red, and pink. Wheein pushes her head against Hyejin’s side.

 


 

« I can’t get used to it. »

 

« Don’t worry, you aren’t the only one. »

 

Byulyi hums. She glances again at Wheein’s face where a brown and a blue orb glance back. The new reality is difficult to adjust to.

 

But they aren’t here for this. They have a whole new issue to work with. And Wheein has decided Byulyi to be the only one able to help her.

 

« Seeing what happened in the forest, I am sure Yongsun would be more suitable. »

 

Wheein grunts in response.

 

« Very well. Then, shall we start? »

 

It is easy to teach someone something you can see, touch, and manipulate, but it is another thing to teach someone something abstract. Byulyi is lucky her student is intelligent and skilled.

 

Wheein has been struggling with her magic, even after healing her eye, she is still facing a great obstacle with it.

 

At first, Byulyi thought it was because of her wound than her confidence in herself, and while the latter did play a role, the main obstacle was Wheein’s mind. It seems the girl had decided the way Hogwarts had always taught her magic was not the way to go.

 

« You need to breathe in and breath out slowly. Just like you did with your eye, but this time you will focus on your entire body and feel the magic. Focus until you feel it. »

 

Wheein obeys, eyes closed and eyebrows frowning in concentration. Byulyi follows her own words, she too close her eyes, but it doesn’t ask her many efforts to feel her magic. It comes from her whole body, stronger in some places. Around her, a skin-like barrier of magic is present.

 

« Breath in. Breath out. »

 

Byulyi also feels Wheein’s magic. It is interesting since their magic is rather similar in intensity. Byulyi just handles it way better than most wizards. Even better than Wheein.

 

« Keep breathing. Focus on each part of your body. Your feet, your legs, your hips, your chest, your face, your shoulders, your arms, your hands. You should be able to feel your whole body. »

 

Byulyi spreads her attention around them. There isn’t anyone else with them in the room, but in the corridor, there are a few students and she can feel their magic as they walk by the door. She can’t tell who it is, only people she doesn’t know.

 

« Keep breathing. Now, you should feel your whole body distinctly. That’s good. Try to focus your attention on the magic within you. »

 

Byulyi focus back on Wheein’s magic. Since she knows the girl very well, she can tell apart her magic from others. It is also easy for her to feel the fluctuation of her magic, it is strong around the area of her hands, her chest, and of course, her left eye.

 

« Can you feel it? »

 

« I think so? »

 

« Breath in and out. Focus on your magic. It is within you, I know you can feel it. »

 

Byulyi opens her eyes. A proud smile forms on her lips when she sees how Wheein’s skin is a glowing blue. It seems the girl still needs practice but at least she feels her magic.

 

« Open your eyes, Wheein. »

 

« Oh! »

 

Wheein attentively looks at her hands, they glow in blue color. All her skin does. She throws a look at Byulyi, and the latter answers with a thumb up.

 

It takes a few seconds for Wheein’s glow to disappear.

 

« Well, that’s good. »

 

« Am I supposed to glow? I have never seen you glow. »

 

« You just need more practice. »

 

Wheein nods, she contemplates her thoughts for a moment. Byulyi already knows questions will be asked.

 

« Tell me. How did you know you could do that? »

 

« I discovered it by hazard. I know you enjoy reading your books, but I don’t. I believe in practicing. »

 

« I practice too. I work a lot. »

 

Wheein stomps her feet and crosses her arms above her chest. The childish behavior translates into Wheein’s frustration.

 

« Look, I will say it this way. Magic is complex, Wheein. There is the magic explained in the books or taught to you at Hogwarts. But. You need to explore on your own. There is more than what is in your books. »

 

Wheein bites her bottom lip. Byulyi can see all the gears turning in her brain, she pats Wheein’s head in a warm gesture. The girl immediately pushes her hand away, she doesn’t like when her friend does that.

 

« Magic is personal. You need to understand your own. I think that is what I did. I practiced until I understood how my magic worked. »

 

« Great. »

 

Wheein doesn’t seem satisfied with Byulyi’s answer, yet she never asks Byulyi more about the subject.

 


 

« Again? »

 

Yongsun looks into the green eyes with ardent emotions. Jin cups the angelic face, her fingers tracing the shape of her face, giving goosebumps to the other girl.

 

« You said you would take care of me. »

 

« I didn’t realize you were this lost. »

 

Jin leaves a ghost-like kiss on Yongsun’s cheek, she brings the girl closer to her.

 

Jin is Yongsun’s first everything. The most important person of her teenage years, together they discovered everything. Her first friend at Hogwarts, her first friend at Gryffindor, her first roommate, her first kiss…

 

Most of the year, they don’t address each other, but it is only because Jin knows Yongsun like the back of her hand, and it scares the girl. It is too easy to be vulnerable with Jin, Yongsun rarely enjoys the experience for more than a few days.

 

Except right now, she really needs it.

 

« Why did you decide to date, someone? »

 

Yongsun grunts. Jin puts a finger under her chin and forces her to look at her.

 

« The way she looked at me. I thought she was special. »

 

« More than me? »

 

Yongsun doesn’t respond.

 

« Tell me the whole truth. »

 

« … She made me feel calm. There was still this exciting feeling when I was flirting with her. But then… I don’t know, she could just be looking at me or touching me and I felt calm. »

 

« Tamed? »

 

« Not really. Just really calm. Peaceful. »

 

« Is it what you want in a relationship? To feel calm? »

 

Yongsun thinks longly. Jin takes the opportunity to trace the shape of her face. Yongsun closes her eyes when Jin’s fingers get to her eyebrows.

 

« At this time, this is what I thought I wanted. »

 

Jin lets out a chuckle. She expected it. Yongsun’s character isn’t one to thrive in this kind of relationship.

 

« I always thought if you would end up dating someone it would have been me, or Wheein. »

 

Yongsun frowns. Immediately, Jin’s finger smooths down the wrinkles. Yongsun responds by affirming her hold around Jin’s waist. The girl perched on one of the sinks of the bathrooms even locks a leg around Yongsun’s waist.

 

« … Why Wheein? »

 

« Once upon a time, she saved your life. You spend the rest of the year running after her, wanting to thank her and be her friend. Afterward, she became your little protégée, didn’t she? »

 

Yongsun blinks a few times.

 

« Wheein is perfect in your eyes. You may not have any feelings for her right now, but I know, Yong. I just know how you look at her. There is nothing you wouldn’t do for Wheein. »

 

« Why you? »

 

Jin traces Yongsun’s lips with her finger.

 

« Once upon a time, two shy girls met on their first day at Hogwarts. Together they figured out all the questions of childhood and teenage years. »

 

« Please… »

 

« You have a crush on me. »

 

Yongsun laughs softly. Jin still holds her face up and she can’t do much to hide it.

 

« You do have a crush on me. That is fine if you refuse to admit it. But, I am not blind. Also, you look at me the same way you look at all the other girls you find attractive, except… Well, you know how we work together. »

 

« A crush is when you are attracted to someone and you do nothing about it. »

 

« … Then since you did something about it a long time ago. Let’s not call it a crush. »

 

Jin chuckles as she brings their face close. Noses bump against each other. Yongsun focused on the green eyes in front of her, they read through her.

 

« You know, you don’t have to mess around with some girl to have my attention. »

 

« It was an accident. »

 

« You slipped and ended up kissing her? »

 

Yongsun groans.

 

Her breath mixes with Jin’s, their faces are so close they could touch lips without having to stretch their neck.

 

« Show me. How you sway your girls. »

 


 

« It isn’t even that hard, come on. »

 

« I am trying! »

 

Lily lets go another sigh when her spell doesn’t work. She drops her head, disappointed in her skills.

 

This isn’t all there is, Yongsun who has always been helping her with Charms is in a disastrous mood. Her words cut sharp and Lily has enough.

 

« I have enough! Why are you so mean to me? »

 

« Mean? You asked me to help you. »

 

Lily grunts. She passes a hand on her sweaty forehead, but her annoying eyes don’t leave Yongsun. Her blonde hair sticks to her skin from the heat of the season and the effort of spell casting.

 

Yongsun on the contrary is sitting on one of the desks in the classroom they are using. She doesn’t even have her wand out, but her feet are resting on a chair, clearly relaxed and almost paying no attention to her struggling student.

 

« You are mean to me. You don’t even look at me. »

 

« … Well, see I already told you how to do the movement correctly. »

 

« If helping me is so much of a chore for you, you could have just said no. »

 

Lily might be younger than Yongsun, and she might have a huge crush on the girl, there was no one she would let disrespect her.

 

The young girl grits her teeth. She takes her work robe with her and walks past Yongsun, head high.

 

« Where are you going? »

 

« To find better help. »

 

« And who would that be? »

 

Yongsun stands up from the desk, now looking at Lily as she makes her way out of the classroom. She walks slowly to the young girl, a malicious flame in her gaze.

 

« Byulyi. She might be a Slytherin, but at least she never lets me down. »

 

« Wait. »

 

Yongsun grabs Lily’s arm, she forces the girl to turn around to look at her. The two Gryffindor are at eye level, staring into each other eyes, the flaming orbs of Yongsun clashing with the pure ones of Lily.

 

« We are going, to be honest with each other, okay? Now, tell me what are those Charms lessons really about? »

 

« I… I struggle with Charms. You know that. »

 

« Mrs. Juny would disagree. »

 

Mrs. Juny, Head of Ravenclaw but also the Charms teachers, is a small woman in her late forty. Yongsun is one of her favorite students as she particularly shines in her class. One day, the girl asked her about Lily’s capacity and she was surprised to learn the younger girl was quite skillful in Charms.

 

« Y… You asked her? »

 

« Tell me the truth. »

 

Yongsun lets her gaze dive into Lily’s. Surely, the Gryffindor doesn’t seem very threatening most times, but when her face drops, and she becomes very serious, she is almost terrifying.

 

Lily shivers from the sudden change. The low voice is heavy with annoyance, and she suddenly doesn’t feel as confident as minutes ago.

 

« I… I struggled with Charms at first. … Mrs. Juny told me to ask for help from older students, it could help them to understand better and to practice. »

 

Yongsun looks at her with the same intensity, patiently waiting for the remaining explanation.

 

« … You were very nice, and explained very well. Eventually, I did not need the help anymore. Except… I wanted to have an excuse to spend time with you. »

 

Yongsun’s eyebrow shot up to her forehead but it only lasts for a second and Lily misses it. The girl lets go of Lily’s arm, she leans back to look at the young girl better.

 

« I always prefer honesty. »

 

Lily feels soft fingers grazing her cheek before lifting her chin, her eyes are forced to look at Yongsun.

 

The sun always blends so well with Yongsun’s skin, it gives her this divine aura and makes her look ethereal. Lily thinks there is no girl more beautiful than her. It pains her how inaccessible she will always be.

 

« I can’t say I am surprised. I asked Mrs. Juny before the Christmas break. I kept thinking “why would you keep asking me for help then?”. It didn’t make any sense, unless… »

 

Yongsun smiles softly, her two dimples showing.

 

Lily bites her lips, her heartaches more than what she is used to, but it feels good to bask in Yongsun’s presence.

 

« Lily, I am going to be straight to the point. I don’t date. »

 

« You dated Hyejin. »

 

Lily’s response is lost in her breath but Yongsun hears her without a problem.

 

« I know. I did date her. And now, I have one more reason to not date anyone. You understand? »

 

« I do. »

 

« You must have strong feelings for me for going through all that trouble. This is why I won’t comment on you lying to me for months about your Charms’ abilities. »

 

Lily nods. Yongsun’s fingers are still holding her chin in place and it doesn’t make it easy to nod, but still.

 

The sun makes Yongsun’s brown eyes look golden, she glows, and Lily can’t believe such a girl is looking at her. The attraction and the feelings she grows for Yongsun are hard to control, even more right now.

 

« I feel enchanted to know you feel such a way about me, I won’t lie. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything to offer you, Lily. »

 

« I… I just want one night. Just… »

 

Yongsun raises an eyebrow.

 

« You are barely fifteen, you shouldn’t say such a thing. »

 

« Please. »

 

Yongsun caresses her cheek, it is so gentle like silk grazing her skin. She seems to consider longly what she will say next and Lily looks at her with begging eyes, hoping to influence her choice.

 

Yongsun loves girls and having their attention, if it had been earlier in the year, she wouldn’t have thought much about the question and given in. Despite her best effort, this year changed her, and there is no way she would let herself give in to Lily.

 

The young girl has grown on Yongsun ever since the first time she asked her for help with Charms. Yongsun likes and cares about her in a very found way. She wouldn’t have made way for the girl in her schedule otherwise. Yongsun has always refused to make a way in her busy schedule for girls she only saw as potential hooks up.

 

« Lily, I won’t have a night with you as you call it. »

 

« Plea… »

 

« But, I will promise you something. If by the end of my schooling at Hogwarts you still have those feelings for me, then I will consider them seriously. »

 

« Rea… Really? »

 

Yongsun stops caressing her cheek, instead, she locks their gaze together.

 

Lily loses herself in her eyes, the golden pools are so deep to look at. With a great deal of courage, she circles Yongsun’s waist to bring her closer but the girl remains on her two feet.

 

« Until then, you will have to be more creative to spend time with me than Charms lessons. »

 


 

« Quick question. Why are you glowing blue, right now? »

 

Wheein curses under her breath, she opens her eyes to look at her friend in front of her but doesn’t give much of a context to her current situation.

 

« Should I call Mrs. Juny? She will be thrilled to know you love Ravenclaw so much you decided to change your skin color. »

 

Wheein sends her feet in Dana’s general direction without managing to touch her. Her friend decides to use the opposite part of the changing room.

 

« Can I tell you something, Jung Speed? »

 

« I know, I am blue. »

 

« Yeah, well I figured. It is more personal. »

 

Wheein raises her head, her glow disappears immediately since she isn’t focused anymore. The distance between Dana and her seems on purpose, and she doesn’t try to reduce it.

 

Dana is showing her back to her friend. At the same time, she is slowly getting rid of her uniform to put on her Quidditch one. Her movements are meant to keep her busy, but her thoughts are too heavy for her actions to look normal. More than once she misses a button or drops her folded clothes.

 

« … I think I like someone. »

 

Wheein looks at every corner of the room, waiting for something…

 

« I needed to say it out loud. »

 

« That’s good. »

 

Dana nods. She continues to change, now lacing her boots, but still not looking at Wheein.

 

« I will tell you more about it. »

 

Wheein assumes it means her friend is telling her she isn’t ready yet. She gets the confirmation when Dana finally looks at her with a shy smile; which is totally unlike her friend.

 

Wheein promised herself to be more careful of her friends ever since the incident with Hyejin. She doesn’t miss how vulnerable Dana was with her just a moment ago, and she gently pats her on the back when they both leave the changing rooms to attend their Quidditch practice.

 

« I will kick your on the field, Jung Speed. »

 

Wheein chuckles, surely Dana doesn’t let her sudden confession change her usual behavior on the pitch.

 


 

« You don’t have to do charity with me. »

 

« Remy warned me, but still it surprises me how irritable you are these days. »

 

« Since when do you two talk together? »

 

« We are both captains. »

 

« You never saw me talk with Emma. »

 

« That’s different. Plus Remy is one of Wheein’s friends. »

 

« I never got the story of how Wheein and you became friends. »

 

« You never asked for it. »

 

Another DADA class, another spell Byulyi perfectly executed on her first try and another Yongsun who refuses to participate. Instead, she hides at the back of the class, her arms crossed on her chest as she watches all her classmate try their best with their wand.

 

Mr. Humso, the Defense Against the Dark Art teacher, seems to let a free pass to the Gryffindor even more, now that he knows about her capacities.

 

« How did Wheein and you become friends? »

 

« Through our parents. Her dad was a professional Quidditch player before working at the Ministry of Magic, my dad met him at work and they naturally talked about Quidditch. Since I wanted to enter the team and my dad didn’t have the time to train me, Mr. Jung helped me. I met him during the summer while training at her place. »

 

Yongsun nods, it explains… certain things. Her eyes refuse to focus on Byulyi, instead, she looks as Jin finally manages to create a decent Shield Charm. A small smile grazes her lips.

 

« Wheein is a really precious friend for me. »

 

« Well isn’t she for everyone? »

 

Yongsun’s question is laced with sarcasm, but it is only meant to hide another emotion.

 

« There is something I would like to ask you. »

 

« About Wheein? »

 

« No. About Hyejin. »

 

Yongsun’s attention finally focuses on Byulyi.

 

The Slytherin does her best to not bend under the girl’s gaze. It is a mystery how so many intense emotions flash through her eyes at the same time. She isn’t easily impressed but Yongsun is a different pair of hands herself, she often pushes Byulyi to her limits… for diverse reasons.

 

« I… I want to thank you for always looking out for her. Despite what happened between you two. »

 

« You surely have a lot of expectations concerning my actions. »

 

Byulyi scratches her neck, Yongsun’s answer putting her on the spot. The girl worries she said something wrong. Despite her best effort, she still hasn’t figured out Yongsun.

 

The constant things with Yongsun are her honesty and her burning gaze.

 

« I just wanted to thank you. »

 

« You just did. »

 


 

« That’s not your table, Kim. »

 

Yongsun turns to face the owner of the voice. A seventh-year, who also happens to be one of the Prefect of Slytherin; Yongsun can’t stand her. Actually, they can’t stand each other.

 

The girl always seems to be around Yongsun when she tries to do something against Hogwarts’ rules; while she rarely gets caught, the poor amount of time she does it is always because of her, Tessa.

 

Yongsun believed for a long time she could never stand being with a Slytherin for more than a few minutes because she thought them all to be like Tessa. Devious, forceful, and jealous.

 

« She is with me. »

 

Hyejin grabs Yongsun’s wrist, she pulls the girl closer to her, hoping to avoid a face-off between the two.

 

Tessa is all of Yongsun’s default with all of Slytherin's qualities. A dangerous mix. Hyejin doesn’t want the two to have a chance to test their chemistry between them.

 

« This still isn’t her table. No Gryffindor. »

 

« Fine. »

 

Hyejin stands up, still holding Yongsun’s wrist. The younger girl makes it a point to pass as far as possible from Tessa. Fortunately, Yongsun follows her without any trouble; which is something she appreciates, how the Gryffindor never opposes her actions or decisions. Well… most times.

 

« We can talk here. »

 

Hyejin finds a corner near the entrance of the Great Hall. Here they can talk without being observed by the students sitting in the Great Hall.

 

« What did you want to tell me? Is everything okay? »

 

Yongsun smiles at her words. Hyejin blushes at the sudden smile flashed her way, Yongsun will always affect her.

 

They longly look at each other, Yongsun’s brown orbs have tenderness in them, nothing like her usual heavy and burning stare. Hyejin can’t resist teasing her perfectly tucked tie, she pulls on it until it hangs freely over Yongsun’s grey sweater.

 

« Everything is okay. Is everything okay with you? »

 

Yongsun is speaking so softly, that Hyejin has to lean closer to hear her properly.

 

« Yes… I am okay. »

 

Hyejin knows how incredibly soft Yongsun can be, it melts her heart. This Yongsun is hard to resist, the one Hyejin remembers she said “yes” to when she asked her to go out with her. Always so honest, it pains her to know she couldn’t be good enough for this girl who only wanted her. It pains her, even more, when she realizes each day how sincere Yongsun has always been.

 

« There is something I want from you. »

 

« Oh? »

 

« Don’t worry, it isn’t anything troublesome. »

 

Hyejin relaxes, and out of habit, she lets her hand rest on Yongsun’s forearm.

 

« I want you to join me when I visit Bap. »

 

Hyejin freezes, she doesn’t relax the slightest when Yongsun holds one of her hands in hers.

 

The hippogriff, named Bap by Yongsun herself, has been living under Mr. John’s care. Yongsun goes to see Bap every day after her classes, she brushes it, feeds it, and sometimes even rides the animal.

 

Except for the teachers, Byulyi, Wheein, and Hyejin, no one knows about the hippogriff’s presence on Hogwarts ground. Despite Yongsun’s best effort, Wheein still refuses to go see the animal, Byulyi joined her once, and Hyejin…

 

Yongsun tried to be careful with Hyejin, she has always been scared of the Forbidden Forest, keeping herself as far away from it as possible. Yongsun understood how important was Wheein’s friendship for Hyejin when she learned the girl willingly followed her this deep in the woods. Then, the episode of her being attacked by the hippogriff; is why Yongsun waited so patiently to ask Hyejin.

 

« I want to help you, just like you helped me. »

 

Hyejin bites her bottom lip. There is nothing but sincerity in Yongsun’s eyes and voice.

 

Hyejin helped her greatly, it was true. After everything, Yongsun suddenly felt overwhelmed. Unlike Byulyi who always manage to keep her head cold, she suddenly started to panic. Scenarios in her head where she couldn’t save Wheein and Hyejin.

 

Yongsun might not let a lot of people become close to her, but the few she lets in become the most precious beings in her eyes. For those people, she wants to be strong and reliable, just like her sister has always been for her. When she finally had to acknowledge that she too could be scared and lose control in some situations, she started to doubt herself. Was she even worthy of being a Gryffindor?

 

Hyejin came at the right moment, it reassures Yongsun to know Hyejin saw her this low and still looks at her with the same respect in her eyes. Hyejin didn’t say much, she was just here when Yongsun needed her. No word could have helped Yongsun to find back her confidence and trust in herself anyway.

 

« Hyejinnie, I know you are scared, but I want to show you that Bap is nice. »

 

The sincere eyes, the soft nickname, and the sweet smile, Hyejin can’t resist. She nods her answer to Yongsun who smiles brightly.

 


 

« Wheeinie! »

 

Wheein almost drops to her knees when Yongsun throws herself at her. She hugs her as her life depends on it, beaming new bright energy at the presence of Wheein. This is a thing only Yongsun can get away with. Wheein doesn’t like having her personal space invaded.

 

« My Wheeinie. How are you? »

 

Yongsun squeezes Wheein even closer, she buries her nose in her neck. The smaller girl smells wonderful from her freshly taken shower, but underneath it, Yongsun can smell her natural scent, and she smiles happily.

 

Wheein eventually wraps her arms around Yongsun, limply squeezing her. It is not that she doesn’t like it, she just doesn’t find it necessary to do such a thing.

 

« Show me your face. »

 

Yongsun holds Wheein’s face in her hands. It doesn’t take a genius to guess what Yongsun wants to look at. Wheein’s eyes.

 

Wheein doesn’t like how she gets a longer look than usual because of her new reality. But Yongsun isn’t looking at her like others do, she gently checks if everything is okay and even caresses Wheein’s cheeks softly with her thumb.

 

« You are… really becoming a pretty woman. »

 

Wheein immediately blushes but she doesn’t try to get away from Yongsun’s hold.

 

Her pupils shake, and a tear fall from her eye, Yongsun catches it and wipes it away. She offers a smile to her dear friend before holding her against her chest again. She is definitely in a wonderful mood today.

 

« Thank you. »

 

Yongsun perfectly hears the mumble words, she sighs happily and kisses the crown of Wheein’s hair. There is a swelling in her heart every time Wheein lets herself go with her. Even if she is already well aware of how special she is to Wheein through how much she can get away with, it always makes her extra happy to have a vocal confirmation.

 

« Come. You wanted to watch the sunrise with me, right? »

 

Yongsun leads them inside the empty classroom transformed into a hangout spot by the four of them. They sit right in front of the windows, Wheein between Yongsun’s arms as the girl refuses to have any sort of space between them. She even lets her chin rest on Wheein’s shoulder as they watch the first color of the sun paint the sky.

 

« My favorite moment of the day. Even if most times you are a grumpy early rise. »

 

« I am not grumpy. »

 

« You are a really grumpy child, but I adore you even then. »

 

Yongsun affirms her hold around Wheein’s waist. Jin didn’t miss when she said Wheein was her little protégée.

 

The two girls don’t see the figure right behind them, observing the whole scene from the entrance of the classroom. After all, there is no reason to turn away from the beautiful painting made by the sky.

 


 

« Another lollipop? Who keeps feeding your unhealthy addiction? »

 

Hyejin chuckles, she pops her cherry lollipop out of and grins at Byulyi. Her eyes disappear in the process, and it makes her look so adorable, that Byulyi doesn’t even try to fight it.

 

« Wheein said she wouldn’t support you during next week's match. »

 

« What? When did she say that? »

 

« Today. During classes, she was very serious about it. Ravenclaw are very decided on winning this year’s Cup too. »

 

« But she is my friend! »

 

Byulyi’s eyes seem distressed at the sudden news. Hyejin watches as her friend lets her body fall on the couch, she continues to on her lollipop, the cherry flavor spreading on her lips.

 

« Wheein is passionate about Quidditch. I don’t know why you are so surprised? »

 

« She always supports me! And I always support her! »

 

Hyejin nods. Her cherry lollipop, the center of her attention.

 

« You remember my gift for your birthday? »

 

« Suddenly? »

 

« You forgot? »

 

Hyejin frowns, and a pout forms on her red cherry lips. The face immediately shakes Byulyi out of her caprice.

 

« I didn’t forget! I keep it on my night table! You know it, we share the same room! »

 

Byulyi’s distress makes Hyejin laugh. She knows the girl is doing it on purpose, exaggerating everything, and it never misses to entertain Hyejin.

 

« You know. It is a special gift. »

 

« How so? »

 

Hyejin agitates her lollipop in front of her eyes, before putting it back in .

 

« It only becomes special if you win the Quidditch Cup. »

 

« How did you- »

 

« My mom helped me. I can’t tell you more about it. You have to win the Quidditch Cup to see. »

 

Hyejin finally bites on her lollipop, shattering the candy in pieces inside , satisfied with the determined look in Byulyi’s eyes.

 


 

« It is soft. »

 

Yongsun nods, she pets the hippogriff as well.

 

Hyejin, standing right next to her, still refuses to let go of Yongsun’s arm while she pets Bap. Yongsun finds it adorable but doesn’t make any comment about it.

 

« Bap likes when you scratch him here. »

 

Bap, the white hippogriff Yongsun managed to tame with the help of Mr. John, is now a calm and very lovely beast. He adores being petted, pumpkin, and flying high in the sky. Yongsun is by far his favorite human, she is full of energy like him, and she isn’t scared to fly high on his back.

 

Hyejin slowly warms up to the beast which once almost killed her. Yongsun helps a lot, she explains very sweetly how she tamed Bap, what he eats, how he spends his days, and how nice it feels to fly on his back.

 

« Look at his beautiful wings. »

 

Yongsun gently spread the perfectly white wings, they are almost two meters wide, and Hyejin can’t help a gasp coming from . She feels shy to touch the so delicate-looking wings, but a soft push from behind brings her closer.

 

Bap mentally notices Yongsun, he likes Hyejin and would love to have her ride on its back for fun. The two have created a bond that makes it possible for them to communicate mentally through images. It mostly works when they are around each other, but surely only because they have never tried it while being away from each other.

 

« … Bap… Hyejinie, do you think you would be okay riding Bap? »

 

« What? Riding? Like? Being on it? »

 

« … Yes. »

 

Yongsun smiles, it reaches her eyes which form crescents, and the two dimples.

 

Hyejin feels another nudge against her elbow, she is too scared to look at Bap, so she chooses to only focus on Yongsun. The absolute sun-like energy coming from the girl finishes to decide Hyejin.

 

« Okay… But you come with me. »

 

« Bap is okay with that! »

 

Yongsun easily climbs on the hippogriff, if Hyejin had paid close attention, she would have seen how she levitate her way up on the beast more than climbed on it. The older girl offers her hand to Hyejin, and with an easy movement, she helps her climb behind her.

 

« Ready? »

 

Hyejin nods, not realizing Yongsun can’t see her right now. She secures herself by circling her arms around Yongsun’s waist and waits for the takeoff.

 

« Relax, Hyejinie. It is going to be fun. »

 

Hyejin tries to relax, and Bap starts walking toward the Great Lake at the same moment. He slowly walks faster, until he is running, and finally takes off, elegantly flapping its wings to fly higher.

 

Yongsun connected with Bap makes it clear they shouldn’t go too high or too fast with Hyejin, but still he should enjoy himself. This connection between the two is completely silent, and impossible for others to catch on to.

 

« Open your eyes, Hyejinie! Look, look! »

 

Hyejin peaks a look, it is a bit scary from up here. Bap isn’t even flying fast nor high. She isn’t as used to being up in the sky as Yongsun; except during her first year when she had Flying classes, she never tried to hop on a broom ever again. The more she opens her eyes, the more she squeezes Yongsun.

 

Under them is the Great Lake, its dark green water absorbs all the sunlight making it sparkles as they fly above. Even if they squint their eyes to see, it seems like the lake doesn’t have an end and continues beyond the horizon.

 

« See how pretty it is up here? »

 

Bap lowers himself, his paws now grazing the water and splashing the two wizards on his back. Hyejin holds herself even more firmly, Yongsun’s laugh helps her relax a little, and opens her eyes again.

 

They fly over the lake for a while, and before going back to the land, Hyejin feels Yongsun’s body suddenly contracting when the hippogriff takes the direction of the castle. Without a word, Bap changes its direction this time toward the Forbidden Forest and it is Hyejin who tenses up.

 

Bap changes its direction, back to its original spot, in a clearing hidden behind the trees. Yongsun thanks the hippogriff with a gentle caress on its white coat.

 

The Gryffindor gracefully gets down and then offers her hand to Hyejin.

 

« How was it? »

 

« It was nice… »

 

Yongsun nods, her smile encouraging Hyejin gently.

 

« It was great. Thank you. And… thank you, Bap. »

 

Hyejin caresses the animal, more confidently than a few minutes ago, which pleases him.

 


 

« You are going to catch a cold with those windows always opened. »

 

Byulyi tries to close them, but Wheein gently pushes her away with her feet. It is Yongsun’s firm gaze that makes Byulyi give up on her urge to close the three wide opened windows.

 

As always, Hyejin is sitting in the frame of the biggest one, her attention entirely held to the forming night sky. Again, there is a lollipop between her fingers, but it is still wrapped in its package this time.

 

Wheein and Yongsun are snuggled on one of the couches, Wheein is resting between Yongsun’s arms while having her hair played with. The scene shows once again the proximity Wheein shares with only a couple of people.

 

Byulyi notices how relaxed Yongsun is, she believes it is Wheein’s presence that makes her like this. She has a lazy smile and doesn’t sit as uptight as usual. Byulyi thinks it is… nice to see her so calm for once.

 

« You should learn to take a break. »

 

« Rich coming from you, Wheein. »

 

Wheein doesn’t respond, but it is only because Yongsun caresses her shoulder tenderly.

 

« Hyejin get down from the frame. »

 

« Byulyi… Why not telling us about your day? Something bothering you? »

 

Yongsun’s eyes focus on Byulyi. There isn’t concern, nor malice in those eyes, only a question.

 

« I had a great day. I got more homework than I can handle, missed lunch because Mr. Poe had decided to have a sudden one-hour-long conversation with me during the break, lost my favorite plume and finally, the Quidditch training was a nightmare. »

 

Hyejin finally gets down from the window, she offers her fellow Slytherin friend a small smile, but the girl is so distressed, that she doesn’t catch it.

 

« Seems like a normal day to me. Maybe there is something else? »

 

Byulyi groans and her head falls on the back of the couch. She sighs.

 

« I lost my wand. »

 

« Again! »

 

« What?! How?! You know that isn’t possible, right! »

 

Byulyi doesn’t respond immediately. Instead, she stretches her hand and opens it. Normally, with Wheein’s spell, the wand should immediately come in her hand.

 

But nothing happens.

 

 

 


Author's Note

Hello. (early)

I wrote everything I wanted. & I listened a lot to this playlist while writing.

Have a nice week!