Chapter 10 or Wheein's insane rollercoaster of emotions

The Hardship of Desire

 

« So… Are you going to tell me what is making you this jumpy? »

 

Hyejin unconsciously bites her lollipop, the many bits fall on her tongue; she starts to chew on the plastic stick letting the bits of the red candy melt on her tongue. Wheein looks at her with a raised eyebrow.

 

« I thought you knew… »

 

« Knew what? »

 

The Slytherin runs an anxious hand in her hair, Wheein looks lost, this doesn’t happen often. Hyejin keeps chewing on the poor stick, she swallows the melted bits, her cherry lollipop has disappeared now. Only the remaining flavor on her lips can testify of the candy. The girl is a bit confused, she thought Wheein knew and was just observing silence about the news event out of… Out of awkwardness?

 

Wheein has now stopped, she has her arm crossed over her chest, a pout on her lips. It is very childish of her, but she wants to know and Hyejin isn’t telling her. Hyejin breathes, the cold winter air burns her nostrils; the two friends were taking a walk near the Great Lake, a habit of them when they wanted to talk privately.

 

Usually, their conversation are kept light, but sometimes, Wheein would confess some of her feelings about a matter which is bothering or hurting her. Hyejin even briefly mentioned the bullying she was a victim of during her first years at Hogwarts. Both of them found peace and acceptance in the other.

 

« Yongsun asked me out. »

 

« What! »

 

Hyejin frowns at the grimace present on Wheein’s face. She kicks one of the stones found on the grass, she can’t stay still and she feels her heart beat a bit faster. Wheein’s reaction makes her anxious, she feels like something isn’t right.

 

« Yongsun and I are going out together. »

 

Hyejin tries again. Wheein’s eyebrow go up, a mouth open in a “O” form; finally she registers what Hyejin is telling her.

 

« She didn’t tell me anything about that. »

 

But once again, Wheein has been busy with Quidditch training, homework and her regular visits in Mrs. Vera’s office. The girl is a bit lost, she keeps on turning her wand between her fingers, a clear sign of deep thinking.

 

Hyejin doesn’t like this heavy silence.

 

« So Yongsun and you, hun? Since when? »

 

Wheein’s voice is uneven, she is frowning, Hyejin answers but she can feel how the usual warm and trusting atmosphere between them isn’t present. The Ravenclaw asked a question but doesn’t even listen to the answer, she is too absorb by the strange waltz happening in her head. Yongsun and Hyejin? She doesn’t understand where all of this is coming from.

 

The girl knows she is smart and clever, but how can she not have seen Yongsun and Hyejin getting closer? And why Yongsun didn’t tell her about it? She gives Hyejin a confused glance, her brown eyes searching for answers somewhere on Hyejin’s face, a sign, a clue.

 

« Wheein, are you mad at me? »

 

« What! Why would I be? »

 

« You and Yongsun are close… »

 

« I am happy for you, Hyejin. »

 

Wheein bites the inside of her cheeks, she takes a profound breath before facing her friend. It is Hyejin in front of her, the sweet and quiet Hyejin who trust her enough to tell her about her past, who gently listen to her concern and who hug her warmly when she doesn’t even know she needs it. Hyejin who just told her an exciting news and who just want support from her.

 

« I think it is great. I guess I was just a little surprised. »

 

Wheein offers a full smile to her friend, her single dimple showing. Hyejin looks toward the Great Lake, their usual atmosphere is still missing; she doesn’t like that at all.

 


 

« Tatata. »

 

Remy pushes Wheein’s fingers out of , the girl groans but obeys and stops biting her nails. It is late in Ravenclaw common room, most of the students are already in bed, exhausted by their long day. Wheein and Remy are slouched in one of the sofas, Ggomo sleeping between them; the big windows around the room let them enjoy the beautiful starry sky.

 

There isn’t a warm fire like in Gryffindor’s common room, but Wheein believes this is the part of the school she feels the most at home. Everything reminds her of the sky, of the stars, of the beauty of the outside world; she likes the high position of the common room, she is in the sky and doesn’t need a broom to see the horizon. Fellow Ravenclaw uninhabited the room most of the day, at night only the night-owls are standing, each busy with their own stuff, but always up for a talk if desired.

 

Remy, the captain of the Quidditch team, had become Wheein’s confident when she didn’t know to which God to devote herself. He is calm, wise and more importantly older than her, with two more years worth of experience. He is usually hanging around his own circle of friends, respected for his position in the Quidditch team and his attractive look; it is common knowledge that he has quite the reputation among the ladies of the school.

 

The two of them are drinking tea while watching the stars. Remy is the one who asked Wheein to stay with him, he can feel the girl is going through something. Wheein has been like a little sister for him, he feels proud of her and is often amazed by her abilities. Maybe because she reminds him a little bit of his niece at times.

 

« May I say something? »

 

Wheein grunts her response. Her worried eyes are drowning in her tea, the warmth of the cup floating toward her face. Her usually well kept hair are thrown in a messy bun and her uniform has long been forgotten in her room; instead she is wearing a long sleeved pajamas with some fluffy slippers.

 

« From what you are telling me, you feel strange that Yongsun and Hyejin are going out together. But from the look on your face, the nervous way you have been acting this days and your general state, I can tell you this isn’t jealousy you are feeling toward your two friends. »

 

« Why would I be jealous… »

 

« I think you feel guilty. »

 

Wheein’s body tenses, her breathing stops for a second; Remy is good at analyzing people and situations and even more when it comes to people close to him. The boy chuckles lightly, he pats Wheein’s shoulder; the girl looks at him, waiting for his next words.

 

« Think about it, you introduced Yongsun to Hyejin earlier this year, and now they are dating. You saw how Byulyi reacted and you feel guilty. You think you are responsible for your friend’s pain. »

 

Wheein puts down her cup of tea and turns toward Remy, teary eyes and a guilty pout on her lips. She pushes Ggomo out of the way. Remy isn’t a warm hugger like Hyejin nor a bear hugger like Yongsun, but he takes her in his arms nonetheless. He gently pats her head and lets her cry on his shoulder; Wheein believes he got the skills from his past relationships.

 

Remy is logical, he states things as they are, and while it may come off a bit cold to some, Wheein doesn’t mind. She likes how he makes things feel easier, right now she feels lighter, relieved and understood. Everything in her head seems clearer, Yongsun and Hyejin, Byulyi and Yongsun, Hyejin and Byulyi.

 

« Thank you. »

 


 

« Maybe you could try to relax? Your stress is spreading to me! »

 

Dana jumps away from Wheein, she takes her broom and sits down on the opposite side of the changing rooms. It is always the same thing with Wheein, when it comes to Quidditch, the few minutes before the match makes her crazily anxious. Her legs keep bouncing, her eyes are madly looking around and her breathing is hazardous.

 

Dana tried to braid her hair for the match but this time, Wheein made it impossible. The girl’s hair looks like a bomb exploded in them and a scrunchy is loosely hangin in her locks. The match isn’t to start before another ten minutes, but the whole team is ready. They are reunited in Ravenclaw changing rooms, their uniforms perfectly put on since Remy finds it unacceptable to look anything else than perfect while playing, and their broom waiting to be used.

 

« What is up with you? I can’t even braid your hair. »

 

« Please. »

 

Dana groans, still she walks back to Wheein and brushes her hair correctly. She tries to ignore Wheein’s constant bouncing legs and the way she nervously moves her shoulders every now and then. When she is done, she gently pats Wheein’s shoulder, exchanging a reassuring smile with the girl.

 

Wheein breathes out, she wipes her sweaty hands on her pants before standing up and rushing to the toilets. The whole team exchanges a long look together. They all know about Wheein disastrous stress before each match, it is even a well kept secret between them. The looks turn to Remy, he runs a concerned hand in his brown hair, his big hazel eyes fixing the toilets door.

 

« Wheein has a lot in her plat. We need to be extra careful of her. Okay? »

 

Dana walks to the toilets but before she could reach the door, Wheein walks out. Her worried brown pupils look around, all of her teammate give her a sympathetic smile. Dana sees how her shoulder drops a little, Remy pats her in the back, he orders the team to reunite. They form a big hug with Wheein in the center, they slowly start to mutter their battle cry, as they go they become louder and louder, until they are screaming.

 

The many hits in one of the wall come from Slytherin changing rooms, they all laugh and scream one last time. Remy and Dana are in each side of Wheein, like two supportive totems. She will be okay.

 


 

« Welcome to the third confrontation of this year! »

 

The screaming is deafening, Hyejin has to put her hands on her ears. She is in Slytherin usual bleachers, her scarf at the color of her house around her neck and her pair of binoculars in one hand. Her other hand is held by Yongsun who is standing on her right. She isn’t wearing any scarf, but Hyejin’s curious eyes saw the tiny Ravenclaw flag hanging from her jeans back pocket.

 

The atmosphere in Slytherin’s bleachers has a rage Hyejin hasn’t felt since the time they won the Cup. Something like three years ago, but Hyejin isn’t a reliable source. Yongsun squeezes her hand, she looks up, the Gryffindor is smiling at her. Hyejin finds it endearing how the girl is so excited about the match, she bounces on the tips of her toes, still she keeps Hyejin’s hand firmly in hers.

 

« Last year champions! Their team hasn’t change in two years! They are known for their impeccable uniform! Their captain is a...»

 

The announcer is cut by one the teachers, Hyejin realizes it is Mrs. Juny, Ravenclaw Head House. Everyone laughs as they see Andy, the announcer, getting hit by Mrs. Juny’s wand. He runs at the other side of the bleachers, holding the megaphone above his head and away from the teacher.

 

« As I was saying, the favorite team of this season! Please welcome, RA-VEN-CLAW! »

 

Despite the Slytherins barely cheering, the sound is ear-shattering. Hyejin looks through her binoculars, she sees the captain, a tall brown boy entering the pitch. Yongsun informs her his name is Remy and he is a really good Keeper, maybe the best of the entire school. Right behind him, enters the three Chasers, two girls and one boy, one of the girls’ face is familiar but Hyejin can’t remember her name. After them is the turn of the two Beaters, bats in hand and their broom in the others, they look almost scary from how tall and large they are.

 

« Can you see Wheinnie? »

 

Hyejin pauses from the way Yongsun called the girl, it is so familiar and her tone is a cute one she has never heard before. Yongsun is frowning, trying to spot the Seeker among the Ravenclaw players, it takes a few seconds before Hyejin finally decides to look through her binoculars.

 

« She is behind the Beaters. She looks really small next to them. »

 

Wheein places herself next to the captain, Remy gives her an affirmative nod. She is going to be okay. Hyejin hears Yongsun cute laugh as she comments on Wheein’s height in comparison to the other players.

 

The crowd behind them is getting louder as Slytherin team is soon to enter, the couple can barely hear the announcer’s comments. It is so loud, Hyejin’s ears are englued by the noise coming her way. She doesn’t see herself breaking into a proud smile when Byulyi enters the pitch. She stands tall in front of her team, she doesn’t have her usual smile, but a confident smirk.

 

As each players enter, Slytherin cheers, Hyejin feels the buzz of excitation growing inside her. She doesn’t remember Quidditch being this interesting, she barely realizes Yongsun is staring at her. All the players are on the pitch, and now the two teams are greeting each other, as Hogwarts policy intend.

 


 

« I will crush you. »

 

« Good luck. »

 

Byulyi exchanges a strong handshake with Wheein, her fingers squeeze hard around the small hand, but Wheein doesn’t show a single sign of pain. In the pitch, there is no friendship, no feelings, no nothing; right now they are Ravenclaw and Slytherin and both of them are determine to win.

 

Wheein gets a supportive pat from all her teammates, a last look from Dana saying you better win or I kill you and one from Remy telling her she is the best. They all take off on their broom, Mr. Zelombric, the Flying teacher and Quidditch referee, is now alone on the pitch with the box of balls.

 

Wheein breathes in and out, she goes as high as she can. Her head is clouded with glimpse of conversations with Byulyi, Hyejin, Remy and Dana; she thinks about Yongsun and why the girl hasn’t been talking to her lately, her mind wonders to her homework, her parents, and to Byulyi again. Will she be able to win the girl this time?

 


 

« I hope Wheein will be okay. »

 

Hyejin’s eyes are focused on the pitch, Yongsun is using her binoculars, she is just as focus as Hyejin on the game. They moved to a less crowded bleachers as Hyejin complained she would become deaf if she stayed any longer. Now, they are watching among a smaller crowd, students form different houses and a few teachers are sitting with them.

 

« Why wouldn’t she be okay? »

 

« I talked with her the other day. When I told her about us… Her reaction was a bit off. »

 

« What does this mean? »

 

« I thought Wheein and you were close. Yet, she didn’t know about us. »

 

« I must have forgotten to tell her. »

 

Yongsun puts down the binoculars and turns to Hyejin. The Golden Snitch hasn’t been seen yet, it is okay if they miss a bit of the match. Yongsun admits she would have liked to see Remy in action as a fellow Keeper, but Hyejin’s words are worrying her.

 

« I think you should talk to her. I feel like something… I just… Wheein wasn’t like her usual self. »

 

Hyejin’s eyes are clouded with concern. The older girl sighs, she opens her arm and welcomes a tiny Hyejin who immediately hugs her. She gently pets Hyejin’s hair, the long black hair kept down soft under her fingers.

 

« I will talk to Wheein. »

 

Hyejin nods against her neck, she can hear the whispers coming from the other students around them despite the noise of the crowds from the other bleachers. She hugs Yongsun tighter, and closes her eyes.

 

Suddenly, the general gasp coming from the spectators indicates something happened, Hyejin turns around in Yongsun’s arms. The Golden Snitch has been spotted. Hyejin looks up, Byulyi has seen it and so has Wheein.

 

The two Seekers are from opposite part of the pitch, already high in the air, the Golden Snitch perfectly equidistant from them; but none of them is moving. The cheering gets louder, Byulyi and Wheein exchanges a look, the smirk on Byulyi’s lips doesn’t impress Wheein.

 

« Why aren’t they moving! »

 

An impatient student next to the couple screams. At the same instant, the two race toward the Golden Snitch. Hyejin doesn’t know if it is because they are friends but the battle between Wheein and Byulyi is always the most violent. They are as fast as the other, a flash of blue and green mixing behind the Golden Snitch.

 

The match happening in the pitch is as fierce, Ravenclaw Chasers are facing well trained Slytherin who just won’t give up. Remy is sweating despite the cold weather, his heartbeat is over the roof as Slytherin keeps attacking his hoops. Beaters are relentless in each team.

 

It is hard to know where to look, there is an intense match in front of them, and a violent chase in the sky. Wheein and Byulyi are going for the ground, they push each other violently, Wheein rams in one of the towers, dozens of splinters open her skin; Byulyi almost crashes in the grass, her right feet hurts from the shock but she doesn’t stop.

 

Wheein takes a small lead on Byulyi, but she gets propelled away by the other girl who has gained speed thanks to the wind. The Golden Snitch keeps zigzagging, making the two Seekers collide repetitively into the other. The desire to win over power any pain they might feel, both of them are stretching their arms, a hair away from the Golden Snitch.

 

Hyejin and Yongsun are watching the two friends brutal fight for the Golden Snitch, Yongsun’s arms around Hyejin’s waist tighten, the younger girl puts an anxious hand on the arms around her. They are holding their breath, the outcome of this match is unpredictable, since the score is the same, only catching the Golden Snitch will draw the winner.

 

« Oh God, Wheein… »

 

Hyejin sees Wheein suddenly falling off, one hand still hanging on her broom but dangerously heading toward the ground; despite the odds she manages to get back on her broom, but it is too late, Byulyi is holding the Golden Snitch between her fingers, a victory smile plastered on her face.

 


 

« Jung Speed! »

 

It is Dana, her blonde hair have all escaped her braid from the intense match, she is barely touching the ground when she starts to run toward Wheein, she is smiling big at her teammate and hugs her warmly. Wheein has her head down, guilt racing her thoughts as she made her team lost.

 

« Jung! You fought well! »

 

James, one of the Beaters pats her back, he smiles at her, his grey eyes warmer than usual. All of Wheein’s teammate have regained the ground, they are in a circle, congratulating each other and especially Wheein. From the corner of their eyes, they all saw her affronting the Slytherin Seeker with fierce. Dana even almost flied to Wheein when she saw her fall at the end.

 

Wheein is fast to blame herself when they lost, Remy knows and is always here to tell each member of the team they did a wonderful job. The three Chasers all managed to score a couple of times before Byulyi caught the Golden Snitch, elevating their score and managing a smaller gap with Slytherin final score.

 


 

« Slytherin! Slytherin! Slytherin! »

 

Byulyi bawls the name of her house another time as she tours the pitch with her teammate, the crowd is going wild as they just won the game. Byulyi’s eyes catch a familiar gaze from one of the bleachers: Hyejin who is looking at her with pride. Behind the girl is standing Yongsun who is smiling at her too, and waves her hand in her direction. It rattles Byulyi and she almost crashes in one of her teammate.

 

Byulyi finishes her tour, she flies back to the ground where Ravenclaw team is waiting. She makes it a point of honor to shake hands with all of the players, and her team follows her lead.

 

« Good game. »

 

« Unnie… You should seriously go to the infirmary. »

 

Byulyi only realizes now her feet has doubled in size and it hurts. But she wants to tell Wheein she was happy to play against her, yet the nurse is walking in her direction and she has to follow her. But she sees the dimple smile Wheein gives her and the subtle bow of her head. Wheein knows already.

 


 

« You shouldn’t be sleeping. »

 

Hyejin grunts, she sits properly on her chair, her back leaning against the seat back. Wheein gives her an amused glance, she continues to write notes from the History of Magic course happening in front of them. Hyejin doesn’t even have a plume with her; she rarely bothers to take notes anyway, especially when Wheein kindly shares hers.

 

« Why are you always so sleepy? »

 

« Slytherin has been celebrating. »

 

« I know I was there too. »

 

« We celebrated the whole weekend, actually. »

 

Hyejin confesses with a guilty smile, Wheein rolls her eyes, her hand continues to write down notes on the paper. Hyejin reveals the Slytherin’s common room is a total chaos, the furniture have been pushed around and some even had been turned upside down; multiple bottles of alcohol litter the floor and some student have celebrated so hard they couldn’t wake up for their Monday morning class. The Head of Slytherin hasn’t said anything and Wheein suspects him of letting it slide on purpose.

 

« What about Yongsun and you? I barely saw her at the party. »

 

« She was with her friends most of the time, she didn’t stay late anyway. »

 

« I thought you two were trying to be discreet. »

 

« Ah… What did you hear? »

 

Wheein throws a glance around her; most student are following the teacher’s lesson, and the one who aren’t are busy talking to the person next to them or browsing their History of Magic book. Wheein looks through her own books and finds a paper she gives to Hyejin.

 

It is the school paper, not the official one, but the clandestine one with on the first page a picture of Byulyi holding the Golden Snitch. Wheein turns the page, a picture of Yongsun and Hyejin holding into each other, followed by another of them watching the game with Hyejin in Yongsun’s arms. Hyejin immediately blushes, Wheein continues to write down the lesson but she can’t repress a chuckle.

 

« How even? »

 

« They are really good at taking those kind of pictures. »

 

« … That’s a bit weird. »

 

« Yongsun is their favorite topic. You will have to get used to it. »

 

Hyejin groans, her head falls on the table. Wheein takes back the paper and hides it in one of her books. She jokingly tells Hyejin one of the good sides is that she gets free couple pictures, Hyejin kicks her leg under the table, Wheein’s plume make a stain in the middle of her sentence.

 

« Yongsun said she wants to talk with you. »

 

« Finally. I have things to tell her myself, anyway. »

 


 

« Ah Wheeinie, you are here. »

 

Yongsun sits down on the bleachers next to Wheein, she pats Wheein’s head and earns herself a groan from the younger girl. Gryffindor Quidditch team is training in front of them, Yongsun gave them their training just seconds ago, before running to meet Wheein in the bleachers. The end of February is softer than usual but Wheein still wears her big Ravenclaw coat with a scarf at the color of her house around her neck.

 

Yongsun only has her Quidditch uniform on, but she doesn’t seem to be cold; yet she snuggles close to Wheein and steals her warmth. The girl groans even more but lets Yongsun hug her and hid her hand in her pockets.

 

« Congratulations for this weekend. You fought so hard, I think it was the most interesting game of this season… Even the most interesting of my schooling at Hogwarts. »

 

« Thank you, unnie. But we lost. »

 

« Ah. Wheeinie, you did your best. Plus, you still have the lead in the Cup championship. »

 

« Slytherin is just ten points behind us. »

 

Wheein is a little gremlins who keeps pouting, Yongsun laughs at the cute girl. Her eyes fall on the pitch, she suddenly stands up and puts her wand against before screaming orders to her team. The new recruit still not used to Yongsun strict ways is startled and almost fall from her broom.

 

Yongsun comes back next to Wheein, she puts her head on her shoulder, her hand still Wheein’s pocket to keep warm.

 

« Unnie… Why did you not tell me about Hyejin and you? »

 

Yongsun’s fingers search for Wheein’s, she squeezes them. The girl is always very touchy with Wheein, she feels this urge to touch and hug and kiss the younger girl. Now that the topic isn’t as light as usual, she needs some reassurance which she finds at Wheein’s contact.

 

« It happened like that. You know how am I, yet. I should have told you about it, but I have to admit, I don’t even know myself what may happen with Hyejin. »

 

« You like her? »

 

« I think I do. »

 

« Why Hyejin? »

 

« I think I can’t explain this. She caught my attention, I want to know her more. »

 

« And so you just asked her out? Like that? »

 

« Well… I wanted my intentions to be clear. »

 

« What does that mean? »

 

« I wasn’t seeking her friendship. Asking her out felt like a good idea. »

 

« But you never asked anyone out before. »

 

« That’s true. »

 

Yongsun hugs Wheein tighter against her, Wheein lets her do. The two are watching Gryffindor training hard in front of them, Yongsun’s eyes catch a mistake, she stands up again and screams more instructions to her team. Wheein finds it funny how she is all lovely with her but a strict one with her team.

 

« So now, you want to date someone? »

 

« I don’t want to date someone. I want to date Hyejin. »

 

« I guess you do like her. »

 

« What with all the questions anyway? Do you have something you want to say? »

 

« I thought something else was up since you didn’t tell me. I learned it from Hyejin... I thought we were closer, that’s all. »

 

« But we are close. »

 

« Apparently not when it comes to those things. Hyejin is my friend, you met through me and I think maybe you could have told me. »

 

« I am sorry. Wheeinie… I am sorry I didn’t tell you. You are right, we are friends and those are things I should have told you. »

 

Yongsun walks to Wheein and hugs the girl against her. One of Yongsun biggest strength is her ability to recognize her mistakes, maybe this is why she is so dreadful when she is passioante about something; she tracks her mistake until she gets it right. Wheein tries to make Yongsun let go of her but the older girl doesn’t want to. She keeps rambling about how sorry she is and how wrong she has been to Wheeinie, using an unusual cute tone. Wheein is laughing, she wants her to let go, but Yongsun is stronger than her.

 

« Your players are leaving the field! »

 

Yongsun immediately lets go, Wheein laughs and runs away before Yongsun realizes she got lied to. They run in the stairs down to the grass and the Gryffindor Quidditch team see their strict and mighty captain running after a hilarious Ravenclaw. The later ends up rolling in the grass as Yongsun tackles her to the ground.

 

« Caught you! »

 

« Let me goooo. »

 

The duo is rolling on the grass, Yongsun’s white Quidditch pants are turning a brown green, Wheein is crawling away from the Gryffindor the best she can. Most of the players have stopped to watch the two girls.

 

 

 


Author's Note :

Hello,

I guess I find it more comfortable to talk like this than the Author's thought section. Hehe. Anyway, I have more things to say!

I got good feedbacks on the scene with Byulyi I was worried about. Ah. That's amazing, I really thought it wouldn't be real enough. Unfortunatly in this chapter, we don't see much of Byulyi. I promise we will see more on how she handles her heartbreak later on. But this chapter was all about Wheein because I said so.

I KNOW Wheein is mysterious and I needed to resolve this matter the soonest. This is why this chapter is all about her. We see new characters from a closer look too. It was cool to write them, I like them a lot, I hope you do too? Anyway, this chapter we dive deep in Wheein's thoughts and her different relationship with people around her. Does she feel less mysterious at least? It would be nice to read what you think about her now.

Also, we got a glimpse of Hyejin and Yongsun being together. It is very fresh, but I wanted them to be comfrotable with each other. Yongsun is a really warm person and so it is easy to feel good with her. Plus even if Hyejin is shy with people she doesn't know, she doesn't lack confidence and she isn't ashame of her choices. I guess this is why they are already quiet comfortable with each other.

Anyway, thank you for reading my work! It is still a pleasure to write this story, and I adore reading your thoughts and feelings about it. Hehe. See you next time, I guess! :)