Getting to know

Arranged marriage

The next day I was waiting in front of Liz's house again. Not volunteering but more forced to. I sighed out as I remembered the small argument that I had with my parents early in the morning.

Dad: Today you will be taking Liz on a date.

Jahoon: But dad! I just saw her yesterday! Let me at least enjoy the rest of my single life before getting married!

Dad: No you can't do that. That wouldn't be good for either our or hers image, so you would do as I say and take her out.

I looked at my father in disbelief before turning to my mom with a pleading look.

Mom: I have to agree with your dad here and also you have already gotten plenty of time off your life to enjoy your single life Jahoon. You are not young anymore! You are already 25 years old!

Jahoon: But mom! Dad!

Mom & dad: No buts! You! Liz! Date today! That's it!

Jahoon: Where is she?! I have been standing here for almost 20 minutes!

I looked at my watch to see that she was late. We originally planned to begin our date at 10 am but now it is already 10:20 am and before you say anything about "it is only 20 minutes" then I would have to tell you that 20 minutes is a lot in the business world and a lot can be during that time. And even a bit of tardiness could lead to a loss of an agreement with another company. That could lead to a big loss in your revenue and then-

Liz: Jahoon unnie! I'm sorry that I'm late!

I looked up from my watch to see Liz sprinting from her house towards me. As soon as she was near me, she decided to trip making me have to catch her.

Liz: Thank you-

Liz looked up to look at me but due to the position we were in right now, our faces were only a few inches away from each other. I could feel her hot breath hitting my face. I helped her back up on her feet and fixed my clothes before looking at her again. This time her face was red. She must really be a bad runner and in a bad fit to be this exhausted from just running a few meters.

Jahoon: Come on. Get in the car, we are already late for today.

I opened the car door for her. When she was getting inside, I could see her almost hitting her so I placed my hand between the car door and her head.

Liz: Thank you unnie~

I cleared my throat and acted like I didn't care. I closed the door and sighed. What in the world am I feeling right now? Why do I care about her like that? I don't like her, it just because I'm a great and caring person. Yeah, that is all.

Liz: Unnie? Are you okay?

Jahoon: Yeah yeah. I'm fine.

I hopped into the car and drove to the first destination of our date.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Liz: An amusement park?

Jahoon: I had to bring you on a date but I have never been on one before so I had to search on the internet to our where people go on dates. I have also looked at what the people are doing in those locations. I found places with good food to eat and made a plan for today so we can know where to go, when and how long time we spend there so we won't be late for anything or miss anything.

Liz didn't say anything. I looked at her and saw her with a big smile on her face and her face being a little pink.

Liz: Did you really plan everything for today? For me? For us?

I cleared my throat as I tried to look elsewhere than her. I could feel my own face getting hotter. It's weird. I have never felt something like this before. I don't like her and I don't want to marry her at all. For sure that is my feeling deepest inside but why did she make me feel like this? Maybe it's nothing. I'm just feeling nervous right now because I'm in an unusual space that's all! And I'm feeling hot because of the weather, nothing to do about her.

Jahoon: No! I mean no. It's because I don't go anywhere without a plan. I have my day planned every day, that is why. It has nothing to do with being you or anything at all. Just how I am normally.

Suddenly I felt someone holding my hand. I looked at Liz and then down at our now linked hands. I looked back up to see her with a sweet smile on her face.

Liz: How about we scratch that and I teach you how people are dating nowadays instead?

Jahoon: Fine but is it a must that we hold hands?

Liz: Yes! Since people who are dating are mostly seen holding hands when in public. And also when we are in an amusement park, we have to do this!

Suddenly she dragged me in an unknown direction. I just let her do it as I was tired and didn't want to argue at the moment. She dragged me into one of the shops that were selling those silly headbands for the visitors to wear.

Jahoon: Don't you dare to.

Liz: But you promised me that you will do what I'm saying today! Also, this is a part of what people are doing while going on a date here!

Jahoon: Fine but don't you dare-

Before I could even finish my sentence, she had already put on one of the most stupid headbands that I have ever seen in my life. It was the one with animal ears on it. I walked over to the closest mirror and saw myself with tiger ears. I looked behind me to see Liz with cat ears on.

Liz: These are the most perfect ears for us! I have heard that I resemble a cat so I am having cat ears and you are just like a tiger! You seem trying to look angry and not approachable but I know really deep down that you are like a little kitty, so it is perfect for you!

Jahoon: What nonsense are you talking about?

Liz: Come on! Let's pay for the headbands and then go and get on our first ride!

Liz then dragged me to the cashier, where she was about to take out her wallet to pay but I beat her and gave her my own card first. The cashier was having a big smile on his face.

Cashier: Awww~ you two look like a great couple together. I have a great date you two~

I nodded as a thank you as I got my card while Liz verbally told him. She then wrapped her arm around my arm and dragged me out of the store. She was kind of looking a bit angry.

Jahoon: Why the long face? And what with the sudden link of arms?

Liz: Some high school girl students were looking at you in a way that I didn't like.

Jahoon: Like?

Liz: They seem like they want to ask you out on a date okay?! I didn't like it.

Liz pouted her lips and crossed her you before turning around so that her back was facing me. I shook my head at her and then wrapped my arm around her waist before dragging her away.

Jahoon: Which one of the rides was it that you wanted to try on first?

Liz: The… pirate one…

I looked at Liz who was now looking at me with a red face.

Jahoon: Why are you always red in the face whenever you are around me?

Liz: That is because of your sudden actions sometimes. I didn't… expect you to do… something like this.

Jahoon: Don't think it's anything. Don't think that it is because I'm beginning to open up to you because it is not. I'm still hating you and still don't want to marry you. I'm only doing this because I need to, so don't get the wrong idea.

We got to the pirate ship and got on it. After that, we took in a few more rides.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jahoon: Sit here. I will get us something to drink.

Liz nodded and sat at the nearby bench. I walked to the closest convenience store and bought two bottles of water before returning back to Liz. When I was a few meters away, I could see Liz sitting with a man now. She looked uncomfortable as she tried to move away from the man. Some people saw what was happening but no one ever intended to do anything. Then all of sudden he placed his arm around her shoulder and a hand on her lap. I didn't know what was happening but all of a sudden I felt rage filling my body. It is clear that she didn't like it and he continued to act like this and also people just walking by and acting like nothing was happening. I quickly walked over to them and placed the bottles down before grabbing the man by his collar and yanking him away from Liz. I then threw a punch at his face making him fall down to the floor.

Jahoon: Don't you even dare to touch her or another woman like this again! If I ever see you do this again, I will call the cops on you! Consider that you are lucky that I didn't do it this time! Now get the hell away!

The man quickly got up on his feet and ran away from us. I turned around and got over to Liz, checking up on her. I didn't care about the looks of the people around us.

Jahoon: Are you okay? Did he hurt you anywhere? Anything I can do?

All of sudden Liz launched at me and hugged me. I could hear her sob softly. I froze for a bit as this was the first time someone had hugged me. I slowly eyesores my arms around her and rub her back.

Jahoon: Don't worry. I'm here. Let's go home instead. I think we had enough rides for today.

I pulled away from Liz and helped her back up on her feet as we made our way to the car. I drove her back home and helped her to her bedroom. As I was about to exit, she grabbed my arm.

Liz: Please don't leave me alone right now. Can you be here for a little longer? At least until my parents get back home.

I nodded and helped her into her bed where she then fell asleep. I looked at her peaceful face as she was sleeping. I tugged a hair behind her ear. My heart ached a bit as I remembered her desperate face for me to not leave. A few hours had passed and I could hear her parents enter the house. As I was about to walk out of her room, I took another glance at her and closed the door behind me. I greeted her parents at the door and excused myself home. I got into my car and sighed while rubbing my face. This is all for the business Jahoon. You don't have any feelings for her at all. This is all business.