I remember

Arranged marriage

I looked around as I opened my eyes again. Or so I thought. I was standing in an unfamiliar place that seemed like a playground. I looked down myself and touched my face but no sign of wounds from the accident that just had happened. Was I dead?

???: Jahoon unnie!!! Please wait for me!!!

I turned around as I heard someone mention my name. Two children were running in my direction as like they were chasing each other and ran right through me like I wasn't there at all. I stood for a moment confused at what just happened and turned around again to see the kids now sitting on the swings at the playground. I walked closer to them as I stared at their faces. Something about them reminded me of something but I couldn't pinpoint what it was.

Kid (Jahoon?): I arrived first so you have to buy me ice cream today!!

Other kid: That is not far Jahoon unnie!!! You have much longer legs than me so you can easily run away fast!! I won't buy it!! Hmph!

The kid crossed her arms and turned away from the other kid, whose name seemed to be Jahoon with a pout.

Kid Jahoon: But that is not fair!! You gave me a pinky on that you will buy me ice cream if you lose! You promised me Jiwon!!!

I looked at the kids confusingly. One of them had the same name as me but the other name seemed somehow familiar.

Kid Jiwon: Don't call me Jiwon anymore!

Kid Jahoon: Then what should I call you then?

Kid Jiwon: You should call me Liz!!! It is a name that I got from my English teacher the other day since I couldn't come up with an English name to call myself!

Kid Jahoon: Okay fine but that sounds so stupid.

Kid Jahoon got up from her seat and stretched out her hand to Kid Jiwon who shook it with a big smile. Suddenly my head began to hurt. It felt like it was going to rip apart. I grabbed my head with my hands and bowed down, trying to ease the pain. After what felt like hours the pain was finally gone and I stood straight back up. This time I was in a completely different place. It looked like I was inside of someone's house?

???: Jahoon unnie!!! I'm so happy to see you!!!

I turned around to see a kid running down the stairs to a person who seemed like the younger version of me.

Younger Jahoon: Leeso! You small kid! Don't run down the stairs like that! You are gonna hurt yourself!

My younger self bent down to pick Leeso up into her arms. Leeso giggled as she threw her arms around younger Jahoon's neck with a big smile on her face.

Kid Leeso: But I missed unnie~

Younger Jahoon: Alright alright~ You are forgiven but only because you are cute.

My younger self pinched Leeso's cheek making her giggle even more.

???: Leeso! Did I just hear you run down the stairs just now?!!

A person with black and blonde hair walked inside of the room and began nagging at Leeso. Leeso pouted and snuggled even closer to Jahoon.

Kid Leeso: But Gaeul unnie! It is only because I missed Jahoon unnie~

Gaeul: That still doesn't allow you to run down the stairs and now! Stop clinging to my friend like this every time she comes over!

Leeso: No!

Gaeul tried to take away Leeso from Jahoon's arms but Leeso just wrapped her arms around Jahoon even more. Gaeul sighed.

Gaeul: But your friend Rei is here! You can't just leave her alone, also this is MY friend.

Jahoon: Leeso. Listen to me, sweetie. Go and play with your friend. I will stop by another day to play with you sometimes.

Leeso: You pinky promise?

Jahoon: Pinky promise.

Leeso and Jahoon did a pinky promise together. Afterward, Jahoon put her down as Leeso ran back to her room, possibly to her friend. Gaeul sighed again as she shook her head.

Gaeul: You won't believe me if I say this but I think that she is in love with you my friend. She is always asking about you, how you are and when are you coming again.

Jahoon: She is only a child Gaeul. She is just enjoying the time playing with me more than the others she is playing with.

Gaeul: I don't think so but can't argue with you by the way I want you to meet another of my friend. She is in the living room waiting for us right now.

Gaeul and Jahoon walked inside of the room to see a black-haired girl sitting on the floor while working on what looked like homework.

Gaeul: Liz! I want you to meet my friend Jahoon.

Liz looked up to look at Jahoon with a beaming smile.

Liz: Already acquainted. She is my best friend after all.

Gaeul: Why haven't any of you told me? Then we could all hang out together.

Jahoon: I just came back to the town.

Gaeul: Still.

Liz: Jahoon.

Suddenly my head hurt again. It was like someone was calling my name from afar. Please make the pain stop… please…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Liz: Jahoon, please wake up.

I opened my eyes again to be greeted with a white roof. I heard someone or a group of people scream but I couldn't see who it was as I couldn't move my neck at all.

Mom: Someone call the doctor!! Oh, my poor child~ You are finally awake.

I tried to say something but I couldn't. I tried to move but I couldn't. I couldn't do anything at all other than stare at the roof right over me. I heard the door go open and a few seconds after a man in a white coat appeared into my sight.

Doctor: Seemed like you survived that crash with a miracle Mrs. Park. Most people that come into a crash like that would mostly be dead by now. Now let me examine you to see if everything is alright.

The doctor made his usual routine to check if everything is alright. After he was done, he hang his stethoscope around his neck and nodded.

Doctor: Everything seems fine to me. Is there anything that is troubling you? Something that I may have missed?

I was about to say no but as I tried to sit up, I couldn’t feel my legs at all. I got to sit up with the help of Liz and just stared at my legs.

Jahoon: I can’t feel my legs… I can’t feel my legs…

I looked at the doctor. He scratched his head, looking like he was thinking of a solution.

Doctor: It may be due to the injuries that you got during the crash. As it seems, for now, it may only be temporary since the rest of your body is healing perfectly fine at a fast rate. I will arrange a doctor who specializes in helping people to get back on their legs again. If there isn’t anything more, then please excuse me.

The doctor bowed to every one of us in the room and walked out with the nurse following him. I looked at Liz’s parents who looked at me with worry. I turned to look at my parents. My mom was crying as my father tried to calm her down. I breathed out a heavy sigh and stared at my legs.

Jahoon: What happened? Do you know who did it? It was silence for a moment before someone sighed and cleared their throat.

Dad: You were hit by a car when trying to help Liz. You fell unconscious and have been asleep for a while. And to the question about who has done it…. it is Lesso… she was arrested right at the scene. We still haven’t gotten an answer as to why she did it.

I couldn’t believe my ears. Leeso… The small and cute Leeso that I have known and adored my whole life, could think about doing something like this to another person? Sweet Leeso, who has always been caring?

Dad: Your mom and I will just go outside for a moment.

Mr. Kim: We will also go out for some air for a moment.

Liz’s parents and my parents walked outside of the room, leaving Liz and me alone. I didn’t dare to face Liz at all. I remembered it all. Liz wasn’t a stranger to me. She wasn’t someone that I just got to know during the marriage. No… We have been knowing each other for a long time… She had always been there for me… caring for me… and loved me… but I have been acting like this towards her… my head hurt as I tried to think about how the hell I could possibly forget her. I gathered up my courage and turned to look at Liz, who was looking at me with a small smile but I could see the worries in her eyes. I grabbed one of her hands and held it dearly in both of my hands.

Jahoon: I’m sorry… I’m sorry for hurting you so much like that. You didn’t deserve anything of it at all.

Liz: You don’t have to apologize-

Jahoon: No! I have to… I need to… When I was unconscious I saw a few things. I saw the times that we had to spend together when we were just small kids, also during the time, we spent together as teenagers and with Gaeul unnie. I’m sorry for thinking of you as a stranger to me. I’m sorry for not giving you the chance to even explain yourself and only being mad at you the whole time.

Liz: It is not your fault at all, Jahoon. I should just have told you that we had known each other. I should just have spoken and not held my mouth.

Jahoon: I still don’t understand… how in the world could I forget you?

Liz grabbed a chair near around and sat down at it. She stared into my eyes as she used her other hand to cup mine.

Liz: When we were still in high school, you decided to prove your bravery towards me and decided to climb up a tree. When you were about to get down, you slipped and fell down, hurting your head. You were in a coma for a long time and during your coma, my parents decided to move to the US, so I didn’t get to see you when you woke up. You had lost some of your memories, that is why you didn’t remember me. As I told you, it wasn’t your fault at all.

I stared at her face. Her eyes were red and puffy as it seemed like she had just cried. She was a little pale and thin, maybe from not eating well but I could still see the little Jiwon in her. She still looked like herself. I moved our hands near to my face and planted a kiss on her hand and looked Liz in the eyes.

Jahoon: I’m really sorry for everything…. I know the next thing I’m going to say may sound like the biggest lie ever after all that I had done to you but… will you allow me to make up for everything? Will you allow me to treat you like the princess- no, queen as you deserve?

Tears formed in Liz’s eyes as they slowly began rolling down her cheeks. Liz sniffed and nodded. A big smile was forming on my lips and all I could feel in my body was happiness and relief. I pulled her closer to me and hugged her. Liz wrapped her arms around my neck as she buried her face into my neck. I could hear her sniff trying to stop herself from crying. I pulled a bit away from her and cupped her cheeks before planting a kiss on her forehead. I connected our forehead together and stared into her eyes. Even though I have done a lot of messed up things towards her and I deserve to go to hell but now that I have gotten a second chance, I promise that I will make up for everything and treat her as she deserves.