Wedding day

Arranged marriage

Leeso: There is only one week before the wedding. Are you excited, unnie?

Jahoon: If I have to be honest? Not really. You know that I have been against the idea the whole time. I have only been during this because it would help my parents.

Currently, Leeso and I were walking down the streets, just talking and enjoying some time together. Leeso had holidays from school, so we have been hanging out quite a lot lately.

Leeso: Is it because someone is on your mind, unnie? Is there someone who you already like?

Jahoon: Me? No, and there hasn't been anyone since I was born. Maybe I'm just a bit abnormal and lacking the part of my brain that is about love. Every time someone is talking about love and how they get butterflies in their stomach and how they feel like they are floating on the clouds and can do anything, I don't get any single thing out of it. Also something I have never experienced before.

Leeso: You aren't abnormal unnie. You just haven't found the right person who makes you feel like that yet.

Jahoon: What about you Leeso? Is there anyone who makes you feel like that? By the way, you have never told me that you had a crush on anyone once before.

We were at the park, sitting on a bench there and watching kids playing in the grass with their parents a few meters away. Couples were walking past us with their hands linked and acting sweet towards each other, reminding me of when Liz and I were at the amusement park. I turned my face to look at Leeso, who was getting red in her face and seemed a little flustered. What is it with girls and getting red in their faces around me? Maybe she was just a bit embarrassed about my question because usually, we don't talk about stuff like this, so it may have come as a surprise.

Leeso: I do actually have someone I like.

Jahoon: Really?! Who is it? Is it someone I know? Or maybe it is some guy from your school? What does he look like? What is his personality?

Leeso: It is actually is a she, unnie.

Jahoon: That is fine! There is nothing wrong with that, so how is she?

I turned my whole body to face her. Leeso had a big smile on her face as she looked forward reminiscing about the person. Somehow the smile seemed to be contagious as I had a smile on my own face watching her.

Leeso: She is the nicest, prettiest and handsome person that I have ever met in my life. She would always care about me. Whenever she is around, I feel so safe that I don't ever fear anything. I could even face my own fear and get over them as long as I was with her. She had me fell head over heels for her but even herself haven't noticed my feelings for her and yes unnie. You know who it is.

Leeso looked at me with a sad smile and let out a sigh. I moved closer to her and hugged her, making her bury her head into my shoulder and wrapping her arms around my waist.

Jahoon: Hey, listen to me Leeso. Don't be so sad about it, it is better said than done I know but try not to. From what you have described to me, she sounds like an amazing person. Just give her a bit more time and then maybe she would know about your feelings for her or maybe try and tell her directly?

Leeso pulled a bit away to look me in the eyes. She stared at them for a while and cupped my cheeks with her hands. Her words came out like a whisper.

Leeso: I'm worried that it would be bad for our friendship together and that she won't be friends with me anymore and that she would completely ignore me afterward.

Jahoon: If she doesn't want to continue being friends with you after you confess then she isn't a true friend. A true friend would always be there for her friend even though that she knows her friend like her but being friends is something completely different from being a couple. Now tell me who she is. Maybe I can try and help you out how to confess to her?

Leeso: It is you unnie. The person I love is you.

Jahoon: Stop joking like that-

Suddenly Leeso launched forward and placed a kiss on my lips. She stayed there for a while before she pulled away to look directly into my eyes.

Leeso: I'm not joking unnie. I really meant it when I said that I love you unnie. I have been loving you unnie since I was 6 years old. I know that you are going to say that I don't know anything about love yet at that age but I know what I'm feeling and is completely different from what I feel with my best friends in school.

Jahoon: Leeso…

Leeso: I'm sorry for telling you this so close to your wedding unnie but I couldn't stop myself from telling you. I'm so sorry unnie.

Leeso then got up on her feet and ran away in the direction of her home. I wanted to run after her and hold her in my arms but I couldn't. I couldn't do anything. My whole body was frozen and I could just sit there and watch her run away from me. Leeso… you didn't wait for me to answer… I think I like you too…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wonder how Leeso is doing right now. Did she come to my wedding? Probably not. She hates me now, why would she attend my wedding then? But then again maybe she came because her parents are here. I should have said something. I should have gone after her. I should have at least told her my thoughts.

Dad: Jahoon, are you ready for your big day?

Jahoon: I think I am…

Mom: Don't worry honey. It is just some nerves, it will go over soon. It was the same for me when I got married to your father. I couldn't even think straight and I was just happy to marry him.

Dad: The exact same thoughts for me. I was over the moon when the wedding day came. I know that Liz maybe isn't the one that you had chosen yourself but I can see that you guys like each other very much and I believe that you guys will learn how to love each other.

I just nodded at their words and stared at my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing a white and black tuxedo. They are right that we could learn how to love each other but what if my heart didn't want to learn how to love Liz? What if it was Leeso?

Dad: The time had come now Jahoon. Let's go to the altar and wait for Liz.

We all exited the dressing room and walked into the venue where a lot of people were waiting for us. Between all of the people, I saw Leeso sitting with her parents. She was looking directly at me with a sad expression, making my heart ache. I sighed and made my way to the end of the alter where my friends were waiting for me as bridesmaid/groomsmen. My parents made their way to sit in front of us.

Chaeyeon: Are you sure that you want to do this? You don't seem happy at all.

Jahoon: I need to Chaeyeon. This is the only way that I can help my family.

I whispered to Chaeyeon before turning my attention down the venue where Liz was now standing with her father. The music began playing and Liz and get began walking towards me. When they arrived her father gave me her hand.

Mr. Kim: I trust you Jahoon. I know that you will take care and protect her but remember if you hurt her then I will come after you.

Jahoon: Don't worry I will take care of her.

I smiled at her father and nodded. Her father pats me on my shoulder before sitting next to his wife on the opposite side of my parents. I looked at Liz who had a small smile on her face in which I returned.

Priest: Welcome everyone! We are here today to bond these two beautiful together in the name of God. You may say your vows.

Jahoon: I, Jahoon Park, take you, Jiwon Kim, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

Liz: I, Jiwon Kim, take you, Jahoon Park, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

Priest: You have declared your consent before the Church. May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with his blessings. That God has joined, man must not separate. Amen. You may now kiss.

I leaned in and kissed her lips. I could feel a spark inside of me when its lips touched. I pulled away and saw Liz smiling big with her face flushing red. The guests clapped at us. Now it is really the truth. I have really married Liz.