It's you again?!

Arranged marriage

Jahoon: Good morning mom. Good morning dad. I'm heading off to work now. I have a lot of stuff to do at the office.

Mom: But what about breakfast?

Jahoon: I'm not hungry, mom but I will grab a slice of bread just for you.

Dad: I have planned for us to meet the Kims family today. Don't forget to come!

I quickly kissed my parents' good morning and grabbed a slice of bread before heading out of the door with dad yelling in the background. The truth was that I was hungry but I didn't want to talk with them at the moment especially after what happened last night. Today I decided to drive on my own as I didn't really want to be bothered by anyone. I drove past a bakery and bought some breakfast before going to work.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eunbi: That is for today's schedule. By the way, congratulations to your marriage boss.

I stopped in my tracks as I turned to look at Eunbi, who had just finished listing today's schedule. I was shocked at how she knew that I was going to marry. Has she been stalking me? Jahoon: How did you know about it?

Eunbi: Silly, I haven't been stalking you. The president has announced it. It is all over the news and is a hot talk among the employees.

Jahoon: Wait what?

Eunbi gave me the tablet she was holding, revealing a news article about me going to marry. This is really unbelievable… I had just said yes yesterday and they had already made a press conference about it?! It's like they would have had me married to her no matter my decision. I gave Eunbi back her tablet with a small smile.

Jahoon: Well I see… but thank you for your blessing.

We continued walking over to the place we had to be in. While walking I could hear the employees gossiping about me.

Employee 1: Did you hear that our vice president is going to marry?

Employee 2: Stupid. Of course, I have heard about it. It's a hot topic right now.

Employee 3: I heard the daughter of the Kim's bank is very beautiful. They would probably look really good together.

Employee 4: No doubt about that because our vice president is really handsome but I really wished it was me instead with our vice president.

Employee 5: Dream on. That isn't going to happen in this lifetime.

Eunbi: Do you want me to say something to them?

Eunbi had leaned in close to me so that she could whisper to me. I just shook my head and breathed out a sigh.

Jahoon: Don't. It won't be of any use. As soon as we are gone, they would be gossiping about it again. Let's just continue with our stuff instead.

Eunbi: As you wish, vice president.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jahoon: Thank you for your cooperation, Mrs. Ahn.

Yujin: And thank you for your cooperation to miss Park. You know what, let's stop with the miss and Mrs. We are friends after all.

Jahoon: I agree. It feels weird to call you like that but we are making business right now so it's kind of necessary.

Yujin: Alright you old .

Jahoon: You. You are only 3 years younger than me. Don't act like you are a decade younger.

Yujin: But you will think so by the way you act. You had always acted as the most mature one of our friends. You wouldn't drink or smoke and dedicate almost all of your time to studying. Such a sad life but hey! On the other hand,  you have changed now unnie! You have finally gotten yourself a girlfriend and are going to marry! Congratulations my friend!

I smiled bitterly at the reminder of my marriage. Don't get me wrong… Okay, who am I to try and lie. Yes, I didn't like the idea of me marrying but I can't do anything at all.

Jahoon: Thank you Yujin. That actually reminds me that I'm having dinner with her family today.

Yujin: Then what are you waiting for? Go! And don't forget to introduce me to her when you got the time.

Jahoon: I will and say hi to Wonyoung for me. It had been a long time since I last saw her.

I hugged Yujin goodbye and made my way to the car and drove off to the restaurant that my parents were waiting at. About halfway to the restaurant, I was hit by a car from behind after I had stopped at the side of the road to take a phone call.

Jahoon: Why are all bad things beginning to happen to me now?

I got out of the car right at the moment as the owner of the car who hit me did. I was shocked to see who it was and unintentionally pointed at her.

Jahoon: You… you again?!

The same blonde-haired girl, who had almost hit me yesterday, was now standing in front of me.

Blonde girl: I'm really sorry for hitting you! I'm really sorry but I can't talk with you about it now because I have something important to attend. Here is my business card. You can call me for reparation money but I got to go.

The blonde girl hopped back into her car and then drove off before I could even say a word. I just stared at her car that was leaving in the distance in disbelief.

Jahoon: How can people be this disrespectful after hitting someone's car and then proceeding to just drive away with "just send the bill to this number and expect it to be paid for".

I grumbled as I got back into the car and looked at the card she had given me. So your name is Kim Jiwon huh? I will find you and make you pay for this but I don't have time for it now. I put on my seat belt and continued to the restaurant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mom: There you are! Why are you so late?! Never mind! You can explain it to me later. They are already waiting for us inside, so let's go!

As soon as I got to the restaurant, I saw my mom standing in front of it waiting for me. Before I could even explain why I was late, she grabbed my hand and pulled me inside to the table where a man and a woman were sitting with my dad.

Dad: Jahoon! You are here! Say hello to Mr. and Mrs. Kim. They are the ones I told you about.

Jahoon: Hello Mr. and Mrs. Kim. It's nice to finally meet you. Dad has talked so many good things about you.

Mr. Kim: Likewise Jahoon. I see you have grown up well. The last time I saw you was when your father send me a picture when you were still in your diapers.

My parents and Mr. and Mrs. Kim chuckled. I smiled at them, not to seem disrespectful while poking my dad in the side for doing such a thing.

Jahoon: May I ask where your daughter is? I thought that she would be here tonight with us.

Mom: Oh, don't worry dear. She will be here in a minute. Looks like she is coming now!

???: Sorry for the waiting! I just had….

Jiwon & Jahoon: You!

I stood up from my seat and pointed at the blonde girl or Jiwon, who was now standing at our table. My parents and Mr. and Mrs. Kim were looking at us like we were weird. Mr. Kim stood up and placed a hand on my shoulder.

Mr. Kim: Seems like you guys have met each other before but Jahoon, this is my daughter Jiwon or as she likes to be called Liz. Liz, this is Jahoon, the one that you are going to marry.

I turned to look at Mr. Kim in disbelief. So this girl was his daughter, who I was going to marry?! The one who nearly could have ended my life twice?! Suddenly my mom pinched me in the side and looked at me with a glare and a smile at the same time. Not the time to mess with mom.

Jahoon: Yeah, we have met a few times by "accident" but it's nice to finally meet you formally. Here let me help you with your seat.

I put on some extra weight on accident which she clearly caught on as her face slowly glowed pink. I slightly took the chair out and made room for her to sit right beside me. She walked over and sat on it while still staring at me. I sat down in my seat and cleared my throat.

Jahoon: So should we get something to eat? I haven't eaten much today because I have been busy with work.

Mrs. Kim: You are a really hard-working woman Jahoon. Liz honey, Jahoon is the perfect one for you to marry.

Mom: I agree with you, Mrs. Kim. I can't wait for their wedding! They are gonna look so cute together!

Mrs. Kim: I know, right?! I can already imagine them standing together and saying their vows!

Liz: Wait, mom. When is the marriage date?

Mr. Kim: Next month honey.

Jahoon & Liz: Wait! Next month?!

Jahoon: But don't we get some more time to get to know each other before marrying?

Dad: You guys will get plenty of time to get to know each other. By the fact Jahoon, you don't need to come to work from tomorrow on and until your marriage. Spend time with your soon-to-be wife instead.

Mr. Kim: That is a great idea. The same goes for you for Liz. Go on a date tomorrow and share some stuff about yourself with each other, so it won't be awkward for you guys when you are living together.

Mom: Oh! The food is here! Let's eat.

Our food arrived at the table and we all began to eat. I looked at Liz from time to time to sometimes catch her doing the same. I occasionally placed some food on her plate with a small smile to make it seem like we are getting along. The whole dinner was just our parents planning our marriage while Liz and I just nodded and smiled awkwardly at them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dad: This has been such a great dinner with you guys. And also it is nice to catch up with you again Suho.

Mr. Kim: Likewise Hyungsik but we need to have a bros night soon so we can catch up some more.

Dad: Why don't we do that now and let our wives get to know each other while my Jahoon is taking Liz home for the night?

Mrs. Kim: That sounds like a great idea! We ladies also have so much to talk about, right Chorong?

Jahoon: Wait-

Mom: Oh you are so right Dasom. Let's go! Oh, and I know just the right café that we can sit and talk at!

Liz: Dad-

Mr. Kim: We should go too! I have this vat that I was recommended, that I wanted to show you Hyungsik.

First, my mom and Mrs. Kim walked away with their arms linked together and suddenly my dad and Mr. Kim walked away with their arm around each other, leaving Liz and me to stand alone in front of the restaurant.

Jahoon: So… yeah… should I drive you home?...

Liz: Yeah… that would be great…

I looked at everything except for Liz, feeling awkward about the situation. I glanced over to Liz to see her fidgeting with her hands. I cleared my throat and began walking to my car, making her follow me. I opened the door for her and let her get inside first before I got in. I was about to drive off when I remembered something.

Jahoon: Maybe you want to… ask someone to… come and get your car?

Liz: Oh yeah! Right.

Liz grabbed her phone from her handbag and quickly typed something on it. Meanwhile, I drove us home. The whole ride was awkwardly silent except for the time that Liz gave me the direction to her home.

Jahoon: Wait, you are only living a few houses away from me? How come I haven't noticed you before then?

I looked out of the window at the familiar streets in front of me. We were currently right in front of her house right now.

Liz: We just moved here a few days ago and I have been going to work early in the morning, so maybe that is why you haven't noticed me.

I nodded at her words. It does sound reasonable when working in an industry like this. I got out of the car and opened the door letting her come out. We just stood there, neither of us knew what to do.

Jahoon: I guess this is it. Then I will be going home now.

Liz: Wait!

When I was about to walk over to the driver's seat, Liz suddenly stopped me. Just when I turned to look at her again, she kissed me on the cheek making me shocked.

Liz: Thank you for the ride home.

And then she suddenly ran into her house, leaving me as a confused mess. I shook my head and got into the driver's seat and looked at her house.

Jahoon: Just because you are doing something like this doesn't mean that I will approve of us getting married together. I'm only doing this because I need to.

I said to myself before I drove back home.