I'm going to what?!

Arranged marriage

Eunbi: And before you go home for today, can you please sign this last document?

Jahoon: Sure.

I signed the last document that Eunbi gave me and grabbed my jacket before heading home for the day. Formally introducing myself, my name is Jahoon and I'm the vice president of Star Corporation. I'm the daughter of the CEOs here and their only child. When I got down to the lobby, I found my childhood friend Hyunseo or who I always have the nickname for as Leeseo. Even though we have an age difference of 7 years, we always got close together when our moms became friends after they moved into the house next door.

Leeso: Jahoon unnie!

As soon as Leeso saw me, she ran over to me ignoring the crowd of employees looking at us.

Jahoon: Slow down Leeso or you are gonna fall.

Leeso: Hehehe sorry unnie~ I just wanted to see unnie so much~

Jahoon: Wait, shouldn't you be in school right now? It's only 12 pm or did you skip school? I told you not to skip school and study hard!

Leeso: Unnie! I didn't skip school today! The teachers had to do something so we only got half a school day.

Jahoon: Oh! You were about to give me a heart attack.

Leeso: That is because you are old unnie.

Jahoon: Yah! Such a disrespectful kid. Then why are you here instead of going home?

Leeso: Did you forget that my school is just a few streets away from here? Plus that we are living right beside each other?

Jahoon: So in short you want a ride home.

Leeso: Bingo! Plus I also want to spend some time with you unnie. It had been a long time since we have done anything together because unnie is always busy with work.

Leeso pouted as she glared at me with her hands in the sides. She wanted to look angry but in my opinion, all she looked like was cute. I tried to hold in my laughter and patted her head. Suddenly her face turned red as opened and closed without saying anything.

Jahoon: You are too cute for me to be scared. Alright, come on. I guess I owe you some time together. Let's go to the mall then.

I walked in front of Leeso and walked out of the building into the car that was already waiting for me right in front. After a few seconds, Leeso came running to the car and sat beside me.

Driver: Where to little master?

Jahoon: Drive us to the mall.

Our driver nodded at us and did as told.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leeso: What about this one unnie? How does this one look at me?

Jahoon: It's great, it's great but maybe a bit too revealing.

Leeso: Oh really? Then I won't buy it.

Jahoon: Wait but didn't you like it?

Leeso: Yeah but if unnie doesn't like then I don't like it too.

Leeso walked over to another rack of clothes and began looking through them while I stood there like a confused mess with my hands full of bags. How did it even make sense? First of all, she was the one who was gonna wear it and also we have to different types of fashion sense. I liked to have more "manly" clothes as for example suits and stuff like that while she liked to have more "feminine" types of clothes on a for example skirts and dresses. Two, why did my opinion matter so much to her now? When we were kids she would usually ask for my opinion and then do the exact opposite instead.

Leeso: Jahoon unnie? Jahoon unnie!

Jahoon: Yeah?

Leeso: Unnie are you alright? I have been calling you for a while. Are you sick? Or maybe bored?

I was brought out of my thoughts when Leeso suddenly called my name. Leeso was standing in front of me with a worried expression. She placed a hand on my forehead to check my temperature.

Jahoon: Don't worry Leeso. I'm fine, I'm just a bit tired from holding all of these bags. Wait here. I will just put these in the trunk of the car and grab us something to drink. I will be quick.

Leeso: Are you sure that I don't need to come with you unnie?

Jahoon: Don't worry. Just continue shopping, I will be back before you know it, and here take my card. Just buy anything you want with it.

I left the store and made my way to the parking lot, putting in the shopping bags I was holding into the trunk of my car. I then was about to walk back into the mall when suddenly a car came at me at full speed. It stopped just right in front of me as I held my breath prepared to get hit. I sighed out and stared at the car angrily.

Jahoon: Hey you! Get out of your car now and take responsibility for almost hitting me! Why do you even have a license if you are going to drive like that?!

I waited for a moment until a blonde girl came out of the car. She looked somehow scared at what happened, worried and in relief that she didn't hit me.

Blonde girl: I'm really sorry about what happened! I didn't mean to almost hit you! It is my first time driving here in South Korea.

Jahoon: That still doesn't mean that you can drive recklessly like that but I will let you go this time because I have someone waiting for me and I don't want them to wait for too long.

Blonde girl: Wait! Can I maybe get your number?

I was about to walk away when the girl suddenly stopped me and asked me for my number. I turned around to look at her with a raised eyebrow. She suddenly turned red and began waving her hands in front of herself.

Blonde girl: It's not because I'm asking you or something, it's just so I can pay for the trouble that I have caused.

Jahoon: As I said, don't need to. Have a good day.

I walked into the mall and grabbed a cup of coffee and a hot chocolate for Leeso before walking over to the store where Leeso was now waiting in front.

Leeso: What took you so long unnie? I was worried that something had happened to you.

Jahoon: I'm fine, Leeso. I just had to go to the toilet first so it took a little while. Here. I brought you a cup of hot chocolate.

Leeso: Thank you unnie! You are the best.

Leeso tiptoed and kissed me on my cheek, making me chuckle. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was almost hit by a car. We continued to shop for the rest of the day until it was getting late and Leeso had to be home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jahoon: Mom! Dad! I'm home!

Dad: Jahoon! Can you come and join us in the living room for a moment?!

I took off my shoes at the entrance and gave the maid my jacket and bags before walking into the living room to see my parents with stressed faces.

Jahoon: What is with the stressed faces? You look like someone had died or something.

Dad: The company may die soon if you don't agree to what we are gonna say.

Mom: Honey. Let Jahoon decide if she wants to or not.

Jahoon: Wait! Mom. Dad. Please fill me in. What is happening right now?

Dad: Our company is beginning to lose money right now. We don't know how yet. If it's because of failed projects or because someone is stealing from us but we have found a way to save the company and that is for you to marry the daughter of the Kim’s bank.

Jahoon: Wait what?! You want me to marry a girl who is a complete stranger to me?!

Mom: Honey, listen to us. We know that it comes as a surprise to you and we don't want it to happen. We want you to choose your own partner but we don't have any choice.

Dad: Your mom is right. We don't have any choices and don't worry, they aren't complete strangers to us. I have known her dad since middle school but lost contact with him in college when his family moved to the US. When I found out that he was back in town, I reached out to him and told him everything that was going on. It surprised me too to know that he was the CEO of the Kim’s bank. He agreed to help us at the cost of you marrying his daughter because we had always talked about and agreed on if we had kids then our kids would marry each other.

Jahoon: But what if I don't like her? What if she doesn't like me? Then we will be married with grudges. Are you sure that there is no other option for me to help the company? You don't have to pay me if it's gonna help!

Mom: Oh honey.

I placed my head in my hands in frustration. I could feel my mom shift to sit beside me and place her arms around me, hugging me. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to help my parents as I love them to bits and I want to repay them for everything that they had done for me. If it weren't for them then I wouldn't be living like this but on the other side, I didn't want to agree on it because I had always been against arranged marriage. I want people to choose who they want to marry and who to love. I raised my head and sighed while trying to sit straight up. I looked at each of my parents' faces for a moment before speaking up.

Jahoon: OK. I will agree to marry Mr. Kim’s daughter for the sake of our company.

Dad: Thank you Jahoon. I knew that I could always count on you.

Jahoon: I'm going to sleep now. This had been too much of a tiring day.

I kissed my parents' goodnight and made my way to my bedroom. I took a shower to try and relax and changed into pajamas before laying down on the bed. I grabbed my phone and dialed Leeso. I always called Leeso when I had stuff on my mind.

Leeso: Hello? Jahoon unnie?

Jahoon: Leeso~ help me~

Leeso: Hehehe~ What is it unnie? You sound distressed.

Jahoon: I am. My parents want me to marry a girl I don't know for the sake of our company.

Suddenly Leeso was quite on the other line. I just thought that maybe it came as a surprise to her and that she just needed to intake the information.

Jahoon: Hello? Leeso? Are you there?

Leeso: Yeah… I'm here unnie…

Jahoon: Are you sure? You sound kind of like out of it. Did something happen to you? Do you want to talk about it?

Leeso: I'm fine unnie. It just came as a surprise for me, by the way, unnie did you decide yet what to do about it?

Jahoon: Yeah… I have agreed to marry her. If it's gonna help my parents situation then it's the least I can do.

Leeso: What if it not gonna help?

Jahoon: Then I can just divorce her but Leeso are you sure that you don't have anything to talk with me about?

Leeso: Yes unnie. There is nothing, I'm just tired. I will go to bed now unnie. Goodnight, I love you.

Jahoon: Goodnight Leeso~ love you too.

Leeso ended the call. I placed my phone on my chest and breathed out a sigh. That way one of the weirdest phone calls that I have ever had with Leeso. Why did she sound so angry and disappointed in my decision? Maybe she is just tired. I placed my phone at the table beside my bed and decided to go to sleep too.