Chapter 9

Blurred Line

Sweet smell of pancakes woke Kai up. He opened his eyes and closed it again to adjust into the brightlight coming from the balcony. It was the first time, he saw how beautiful her balcony was. Full of small plants ,flowers and Cara. He stood there for a minute watching them.

 

Then he greeeted Cara going to the balcony."Good morning."

" Kai  "You are up. I will get you a cup of coffee." Cara said standing up.
"No no its okay,sit, i don't really like coffee early in the morning." 

Kai sat near Cara with a bottle of water in his hand.

"I never imagined you like this." Kai said drinking water from the bottle.

"Like what?" Cara said looking at him with a amused look in her eyes.

"Umm... I dont know, but you are different from what you seem from outside." Kai said glancing between Cara and the rising sun. 
Cara stared at Kai for a minute when he was looking at the sun. After a minute she said," i packed some pancakes for you. Its there and please close the door behind you. I will go get ready for work."

"Cara...." Kai called and she halted, it was as if a reflex action. She turned to face him and find him watching her too, she diverted her eyes.

"Why didn't you listen to me yesterday?" Kai asked a hint of sulk in his voice.

"I knew....everything." Cara said after a pause.

"Am i an immature kid who picks fight in your eyes?" Kai said, his voice was evident that he was sad.

"What would have happened if i had listened you? Do you think it would have been better if i had taken your side?" Cara's voice was calm. 

"I knew they talked behind my back. I knew for years now. They all do cause they don't dare to do it on my face. I don't want you to react to such trival things, i dont want you to lose your reputation for me. I dont want anyone to take stand for me, I am not used to it." the last part came as if Cara was afraid to say it aloud.

"Would you have stayed put if someone badmouthed me infront of you?" Kai asked but Cara choose not to answer. Instead she said "Sorry." 

"For what?" Kai asked a bit of irritation in his tone. 
"For pulling you into the mess." Cara said not meeting his eyes. Kai came close to Cara and held her by her arms.

"Is that really what you are sorry for?" Kai asked he looked dissapointed. 

The door bell rang.

Cara opened the door to find Pari. 

"Good morning" Pari said hugging Cara. "Hey...Kai, sorry i did not notice you." Pari said Kai greeted her briefly before rushing out.

"Whats wrong?" Pari asked Cara who  did not look good herself said "Everything."

"I am listening." Pari said in a humble voice, sitting on the couch infront of Cara. 

"But do we really have time to talk right now?" Cara said pointing towards the clock.

"Let's grab dinner tonight." Pari suggested.

"If we live through the day,yes." Cara said going into the bath room.

 


"HOLY TT" Pari's jaw almost fell on the ground. "How is it possible?" She asked with twinkling eyes.

"I don't know." Cara said her voice still down. Day was hectic would be an understatement. She was thankful to Pari for handling the shoot all by herself. Ppt made by Kai was a great help too. She was out of HQ all day long, she did not saw Kai since they had that half halted conversation. Pari and She were now having dinner in a nearby Cafe.

"How did you find out Kai was him?" Pari asked excitement still intact.

"He did." Cara said and explained everything happened that day. Ofcourse leaving the fact about the scene her mother caused. Cara did not felt comfortable sharing about things releted to her family. Pari briefly knew Cara had some issues with her family but she did not dig more as she sensed Cara was feeling uncomfortable.

"What was it this morning then?" Pari asked sitting forward.

"Kai... He is too nice to me. I am getting used to his kindness." Cara said not looking at Pari.
"He asked what would i do if someone badmouthed him infront of me." Cara said to which Pari asked "What was your answer?" 
"I kept silent." Cara said adverting her gaze sideways.

"Kai is such a dickhead. How could he treat you like that? He should know his place... He is just too nosy....." Pari was cut off in half.

"What do you know to assume like that? He does not deserve to be called names after what he has done for me. He stayed up all night for me.....wait...you are just messing with me aren't you?" Cara said looking at Pari who had an amused look in her eyes. "You have your answer now,don't you?" Pari said winking. "Look i know you,for years now. It took you a whole year to call your friend, noone trusts strangers at first. And Kai is a good guy, he is cute, hsndsome...." Pari said dreamily.

"Wait wait what are you going on about, handsome cute stuff...." Cara said a bit flustered.

"You like him don't you?...." Pari asked raising a brow. " Hell no..." Cara said standing up in an instant.

"So you hate him?" Pari asked to which Cara calmed a bit and said trying to sound casual "No I like him but not like that." 

"I never said like this or that..." Pari winked and Cara was flustered....

"Errrr..... I am never having dinner with you ever again." Cara said hiding her face.

 

 

 

 


As Cara walked over to her door she found Kai sitting there on a bench nearby. She could not help but notice the way he looked from there.

He was definitely pouting, and he looked cute. Too cute to take eyes off him.

 

Cara went and sat near him. She leaned to look at him but he did not advert his eyes from his phone.
Rather said "I left my keys at your place." still looking at his phone.

"Oh... Ok come get it." Cara said standing up to unlock her door.

"Have you eatten?" Cara asked.

"No i don't have an appetite." Kai said grabbing his keys kept on the side table near the sofa. As he opened the door to leave Cara called for him.

"Kai...." Kai halted.
"I am sorry" Cara said her voice sounded downcast.

"For getting involved with me?" Kai asked for meeting her eyes for the first time since morning.

"No... For saying that earlier." Cara said walking towards him. 

"I am scared of getting used to you, you will leave oneday, won't you?" Cara said halting mid way. "Then I will be lonlier. Things are not gonna change for me. Neither will mom change,nor will her husband. Nothing will change other than the fact, i will be left alone. If that's what my fate is, why would I get used to something or someone who is going to fade anyway." Cara stood there. "You were right. I am not what i look like. I am just weak as my mom is. But i don't want to be her. When you take a step towards me, it might be just a gesture of kindness for you, but i might put too much meaning to it." Cara could not look at him anymore. "You should rest, you did not really sleep last night." Cara went to close the door but  Kai stopped her from doing so. "I might not put too much meaning into anything, i might be someone who fights over small silly things, I might not stay here for very long time but i value our friendship. I value you. No matter where am I in the world, I will still value you." Kai said hitting Cara's forehead with his finger tip. "Ouch what was that for?" Cara said rubbing her forehead. "Cause you are silly." Cara replied with a smack on his shoulder. "And you are stupid." "Damn Rhino is back." Kai said sticking his tongue and running in the hallway. "You are asking for it aren't you?"

 

Kai came out of shower and changed into comfortable clothes. He sat down on the couch and started searching for his charger as his phone was switched off. Connecting his phone to charger his eyes stopped at the small gift box. It has been there since 2 days already. Kai would not have to make much efforts to know who sent this. There were only 3 people in India who knew where he lived, Cara,Pari and 
Sky. It was no way Sky would give him a gift, lol. It was probably Pari or Cara, he thought. As he opened the box, there was another small red box inside it and a letter folded in half. Kai opened the letter, it read...
   "Thank you for existing out there, I was less lonely because I knew existed out there."  It was Cara, he remembered their last encounter.

"I am even more thankful that you came to find me. I am sorry I lied, i had it all along. I was just a bit flustered that you were him. I never thanked you for that day, i did not get to. I tried to find you so much. If it were not for the pendant." Pendant? His mom's!  His eyes became glossy.

 " I would have thought of you as a beautiful dream." He did not read further he couldn't anymore. He sat down closing his eyes. He wondered what was inside the red box. Could it be... the pendant. The reason why he came to India.

Kai took the red box in his hand and opened to find it. The ring he treasures more than his life. "Mumma...." Kai broke into tears. His sobs turns into gasps and he was finding it hard to breathe. 

His body was lying on the ground, he was kissing the pendant holding it in his palm. Cara has been ringing the doorbell for more than 10 minutes now,Kai was not in a state to hear or answer. As his phone was also switched off, Cara got worried and asked the lardlord for the extra key. As the door opened Cara heard Kai panting. She excused herself from the lardlord and rushed inside.
Kai was sitting near the Kitchen burying his face into his knees. Cara went up to him and hugged him. He lifted his face to see it was Cara, he hugged her back. Cara made circles on his back. She noticed the box lying on the ground and the pendant circled around his fingers, she understood what was going on. She did not utter a word, she wanted stay there with Kai as long as he needed. Neighter did she ask anything, nor did he say. Both stayed in each others arm until the sun rose.