Chapter 8

Blurred Line

 

 

“Speak up? What was that about?” Pari asked for the 5th time still Cara kept ignoring her. “Caraaaaa…” Pari yelled shaking her. “Will you let me drive or you want to die?” Cara said giving her a void look. “Drive and talk. What does Kai mean and why did you run? Did you guys kiss yesterday?” Pari squealed clapping her hands with bright eyes.

“I did not run, nor did I kiss.” Cara said halting the Car. “Listen, everything is messed up so is my head. Kindly let me concentrate on road also please you know, I will only talk, when I am ready.” Cara said looking at Pari, although she was dying to know, she still understood because she knew Cara.

 

 

Kai just finished his task and was about to go for lunch, he received the Call from his dad.

“Hey dad!!!” he said happily.

“Who was that man, whom you were searching for?” His dad asked him.

“I knew it.” He said in a disappointed tone.

“I am booking your tickets.” His dad said in a warning tone.

“What? Are you kidding me?” Kai said a little frustrated.

“You know very well, I am not kidding.” His dad sounded rather serious.

“I am not a kid dad, stop treating me like one.” Kai said cutting the call.

His phone rang again, this time it was his father over video call.

“I am not going back, stop threatening me please.” Kai said over call.

“I am sorry, if you felt I was threatening you.” His dad said in a calm voice.

“I was rude dad, sorry.” Kai said reflecting on his action.

“Son… I know you want to be free, I am sorry for being an obsessive dad. But you are all I have got … my child, try to understand me.” Mr. Kim said almost tearing up.

“I promise I will stay out of trouble okay.” Kai said taking out 3 fingers to make a promise.

“Deal?” Kai’s dad asked.

“Done deal.” Kai smiled.

“I miss you dad.” Kai said looking at his father.

“Pay me a visit over the weekend then.” His dad said with a smirk.

“You can't imagine how busy I am. Love you dad! By-bye.” Kai said cutting the call.

“You little brat” His father said before getting disconnected.

 

“What’s up man?” Sky said sitting against Kai as he was having lunch. Some other interns also sat there, whom Kai did not really know properly. “We barely get to see you, Kai.” A girl said her voice was nice, Kai thought.

“You don’t know how busy he is Jennie.” Sky said with a smirk.

“That’s what happens when you get in the bad side of Angry bird.” A boy named Sid said.

“Exactly, she got some serious anger issues.” Another boy said Kai knew they were talking about Cara.

“She is actually friendly.” Kai said but they give him a look, ‘Seriously?’

“There are some legends about her.” Subh said trying to sound as a host of horror show.

“Really?” Lisa the girl sitting near Jennie said.

“Yes, I heard once she broke a glass on some clients head.” Subh said with big eyes.

“Shut up. Say something you have seen, don’t spread rumors.” Kai said sternly. He did not like someone badmouthing his friend.

“Okay, I will tell you something I have seen, there was a boy interviewing with me, she was the interviewer and the boy was her own brother but she did not even let him pass. How heartless.” Raj said who was sitting beside Sid.

“Yes, her step brother. Right right.” Sid said.

“You know guys, the day she got the job, she moved out from her family. I heard she doesn't even talk to them.” Raj continued.

“What an ungrateful .” Jennie cursed and Kai slammed the table. He stood up and went away.

"What? Don't tell me you have a thing for her." Adi said and all of them laughed except Sky. 

"Shut up guys, this is too much." Sky said seeing Kai leave.

"No, I am just thinking how can she be such a horrible person, like just because you are able to get a decent job, you will just ditch the people who brought you up? If it were me, I would do anything to repay their kindness." Lisa said making a face. 

"Oh I promise if it were you, you would not have been able to be an intern, rest alone being a manager. You are not her...neither  you can ." Kai said rudely.

"How can you talk to a girl like that?" Raj said standing up.

 He came back."Because she is a girl, I talked.... or else...." Kai was really furious.

"Or What? You wanna fight huh?" Raj said holding his collar.

"Hey.... Hey.... Stop it guys... " others separated them. Kai too gave him a stern look and turned around to leave. Just then he heard Raj spitting before saying "Son of a ... " 

That's it. A flying punch landed on Raj's nose. In no time they were inside the administrator's office.


"I am really sorry sir... " Cara said looking down.

"Make sure your interns behave, Ms Park." Cara got a warning.

"I will sir." Cara said and left the Administrators office.

"Send those two interns to my cabin." Cara said to Sky, before entering her cabin.

"You think this is fun, don't you?" Cara said as both of them looked down.

"Who was the first one to start a fight?" Cara asked in a loud voice.

"I did." Kai said while Raj was still standing with head down. 

"You seem to be proud of it. Amazing." Cara said in sarcastic voice.

"Since you started it you will be getting the punishment. Be here at 7am tommorow. Now leave both of you, and yes Mr Raj, take it as a warning." Cara said turning around.

"Won't you even ask me, why I did it?" Kai sounded a little dissapointed.

"Leave..." Cara said her voice stiff. 

"Someone is heart broken." He heard Raj whispering near the door. 

Kai knew he was in the mood for a kill, so he decided to ignore him and went straight to the terrace.


"Hop in Mr Grumpy." Kai heard Pari's voice as he was walking along the foot path.

"Thanks." Kai said getting inside the Car. 

"You really got some guts man, good job today." Pari said winking as she dropped him off at his apartment.

"I would take it as a compliment." Kai smiled, but he really wasn't  feeling like, he was feeling somewhat sad? Angry? Dissapointed? Hurt?  He was not even able to understand his own feelings.

Drive was somewhat silent, it wasn't uncomfortable though.

"Thanks for the lift. Good night." Kai said throwing a smile. 

"Kai.... " Pari called. 

"I know she is a little difficult, and sometimes she is really unbearable. At times like that, be a little patient with her." Pari said coming out the car. She gave a polythene bag to him.

"What is this?" Kai asked. 

"I don't know, she sent something." Pari said smiling.

"She could have gave me herself..." Kai whispered under his breath but Pari heard it and laughed. 

"She said, she would go somewhere after office, so here you go... Good night." Pari said giving the packet to him.

Pari got into the car and locked the seat belts, she was just about to start the engine, Kai called her.

"Can I ask you a quick question?" Kai asked looking inside the car, towards Pari from the passenger seat window.

"Yup, sure..." Pari said with her never leaving smile. 

"If you were me, would you just stand and watch someone talk about Cara?" Kai asked to which Pari stayed silent for a moment and then answered.

 "For me if I know a person to the depths, others opinion on her doesn't really hold that much significance, but that doesn't mean I won't be affected at all, but I might choose to ignore them." Pari said and glanced at Kai. 

"You know what, I am not a person who gets swayed by anger, Its probably my first time in life, I did this. But she.... She didn't even understand, she did not even ask me why I did that. Probably I am really an immature person who picks fights in her eyes." Kai's tone was sad. 

Pari understood why, she knew since the start that they will be having a special bond. It was the first time she saw someone whom she could entrust her best friend.


 She didn't want to explain things to Kai on Cara's behalf, because she knew it was not her place to do so. She won't be there every time to sort things out for them. Also she knew what kind of person was Cara. She is someone who protects from afar. Also today she did that, although from Kai's POV she looked cold, but in reality not taking Kai's side was actually the best solution for avoiding unwanted attention to Kai. Pari knew Cara never feared rumors, she even laughed at them, but if today she would have taken Kai's side, that would have added to the rumors about them.

"We often want to protect what is precious to us, the thing is that, everyone has their own ways to do that. But if you think she doesn't understand you, explain. If you don't understand her behavior, ask her to explain. Communicate..." Pari said emphasizing the last word. 

"I need to go, its getting late." Pari said bidding him bye.

Kai opened his door to enter his apartment. He eyes first reached the box wrapped in gift wrapper, he remembered it was the same box from morning, he decided to open it after he freshen up.

He took the two boxes with him to his couch, one delivered by Pari from Cara and another mystery box hanging on his doorknob. 

He decided to open the box from Cara first. As he opened it, there was a food delivery box with a note on it, which read... 
"Eat up and stop sulking, I will go visit mom after office, I heard she woke up."

Kai took  the box with him and started his bike. 

His timing was perfect, just like a movie. He parked his bike right in front of the Exit of office and Cara was there, ready to board her taxi.

"You may leave sir, she is coming with me." Kai said to the taxi driver.

"Kai? What are you doing here, didn't you leave already ?" Cara asked.

"Hop on..." Kai said with a smile.

"I am not going home."Cara said.

"I know, we are going to the hospital." Kai said.

"Its okay, you don't have to." Cara said, not wanting to burdern him anymore.

"Of course, i know that, i just want to." Kai said asurring her that it is not burdern at all.

 

As Cara entered the room, her mother was sitting on the bed, peeling some oranges. Kai stood outside the door.

"Mom..." Cara called for her mother. Her mother looked at her and smiled faintly.

"You came..." she said, in a low voice.

"I was so scared, mom." Cara said and a drop of tear ran down her cheek.

"I am sorry baby... Your mom is so weak, you are the only one who can make everything right." Her mother said with tearful eyes.

"Mom please..." Cara said, her voice broke.

"Please...just this once say yes to whatever you dad asks, you know he is our savior..." Cara's mother held her hands.

"Mom stop it.... Please..." Cara has had enough.

"You have to do this for me. I dont want to see him sad. You have already made my life miserable. Stop now, do as I say... It's your duty as a daughter." now her mothers tone was rigid.

"Mom....let me take you with me. You dont need to endure it anymore. I know how hard it has been for you. I am now more than capable of taking care of you. Mom lets go, you don't have to be here anymore." Cara said swallowing her tears.

"Oh sure...leave...just leave with her. Oh yes...dont bother to show me your face ever again. " Her step father said from the door.

"Honey!" her voice trembled.
"Leave... No wait, i am leaving." Mr. Park said walking away.

The next moment Cara saw, her mother was running behind him like her life depend on it.

"Mom stop it, please mom, you are hurt." Cara broke into sobs.

"Cry all you want, i will let you in my house only if you tame your daughter." Mr Park said pushing her away.

"Cara.... Cara....please....Cara please... For god's sake marry whoever he says. Please..." her mother said in between sobs.

"And then live a life like yours?" Cara said meeting her eyes.

She looked deep into her eyes, searching for a tiny bit of guilt but she found none. 

"You are a curse to me." her mom said before fainting.
 
Cara ran to her and held her in her arms. She called for the doctor.

"She just needs rest." The doctor assured Cara. She didn't realise she was crying until then.

Kai was standing near the coffee machine when Cara came outside. She looked pale, exhusted and tired. Kai could tell by a glance that she was not okay. He knew he did not have to ask it. Although he did not want to eavesdrop he heard everything, he just wanted to give Cara a hug, but he was scared. He did not want her to feel that he pitied her.

In fact he was proud of her for not giving in. He wanted to say that but he could not, rather he said "Do you want some coffee?"

 

"You should go back, I'll stay here tonight." Cara said taking a sip of the coffee, they were sitting on the rooftop, breathing fresh air, Cara felt a little better. 

"Will you be okay by yourself?" Kai asked in a concerned voice.  

"I have been okay by myself all my life, i didnt have an option otherwise." Cara thought, but she said, "Yes sure, don't worry."

"You didn't have dinner, did you?" Kai asked as they walked to the parking lot.
"I am not hungry." Cara replied.
"But I am hungry, come." Kai pulled Cara holding her hand. Cara felt a weird sensation but dhe brushed it off.

"Someone has a crush on me, she gave me a token of love." Kai said showing the box of  tteokbokki, pari delivered earlier.

"Shut up." Cara almost yelled, feeling embarrased.

 

"Kai, you heard everything right?" Cara asked as they were about to finish their noddles and tteokbokki In a nearby convenience store. Cara's eyes held so such insecurity that Kai felt uncomfortable to look into them. Kai hummed looking sideways. 
"Then why are not you asking me anything?" Cara asked and without her consent her eyes betrayed her by becoming glossy. But Cara glupped down the tears in an instant.

"Do you want me to ask? I am all ears. Whatever you you wanna say, weather you wanna cry or you wanna . I will cry with you if you are uncomfortable alone. I will untill you feel better. If you wanna drink, i will be your drinking buddy. If you want a hug...." Kai was taken aback by the sudden hug from Cara. He felt as if his heart was going to explode. He could hear his heart beat clearly. It took him a second before he held her close. Cara did not hold her tears back this time. She felt her emotions flowing through her eyes, her heart started to get lighter, she started to feel better. Kai held her tightly. Kai felt like he was back to the day they were drunk. Kai wanted to protect her in that moment. 

Kai held jer tightly until Cara loosen the grip. She wiped her tears and with a faint smile she said-"Kai, thank you so much for everything. For that day as well as today. Thank you for being there. Thank you for not asking anything....than.k..k.." Kai sushed her by putting his index on her lips. 

"I have something i wanna say...may I?" Kai asked and waited as if he needed permission to speak. Cara nodded willingly.

"You are one of the strongest girl out there. I am so so so proud of you. You did not give in even in thst situation, not everyone can do that, you...are..."Kai was cut off by a sob from Cara.

"She hates me... She said i am a curse to her..." saying this she broke into tears. She sat down and hid her face into her knees. She hugged her knees as if they are all she has got. Kai sat down there and wrapped his left hand around her and rubbed her back with his right hand. Cara lean onto his chest. They stayed there until Cara's phone rang, it was from the project head.
 
Cara composed herself and wiped her tears dry before answering the call.

"Yes sir." Cara said sliding the call icon.

"Ms. Park sorry to call you tjis late but its something urgent." Voice of an elderly man spoke from the other end.

"Please tell sir." Cara said and he continued. "Ms park the Spring festival project has been approved, they want us to make the final presentation before them tomorrow morning."

"But thats not possible sir." Cara said looking anxious.

"I know, but we need that project no matter what." the project head said leaving no space for arguments.

"But sir tomorrow, i have to be present at the site for shoot. That as well is equally important." Cara said her voice was a little harsh.

"I dont have any options other than you. I am on a business trip, you know that, don't you?" he said, almost pleading, Cara could not say No.

"What is it?" Kai asked as soon as Cara's call ended. Cara explained everything. 

"Its 11pm now, if i start working from this moment i will be done by dawn. But i also have to prepare tomorow's agenda. But the problem is how am I going to be present at both the places tomorrow." Cara was a bit anxious.

"Okay listen i have an idea. Why dont you quickly send the all you have for spring festival, you should focus on agenda and tomorrows shoot, leave the spring festival to me." Kai said and looked at Cara, Cara was giving a look, are you kidding me?

"No time for jokes, gotta do a lot." Cara said after a sigh.

"Dude i am hell serious. Get on." Kai said starting the engine.

"Let me check on mom before we leave." Cara said rushing inside.

"Lets go, she is asleep." Cara said getting on the bike.

Gushing air refreshed Cara's mind, she was calm now, atleast not vunreble anymore. She didn't undestand why she keeps getting vunreable around this person. The person on whose shoulder she was keeping her hand, a part of her wished to put head there, what was happening to her?  Was she really unaware or she was just pretenfing to ignore it?

The bike stopped near their apartment, Cara got down and Kai parked it inside the parking. They took the elevator and it was dead silent between them, since the time she got on the bike.

"Give me just 5 mins." Kai said as they reached their apartments. Cara was thankful as she also had to wash up. 

"Hey dad..." Kai said over the vdo call.
"Hi Champ, were you busy?" His father asked with a wink.

"Nah...but have some work for tonight... Did you have dinner?" Kai asked to which he hummed positively. "What about you?" he asked in return. "I did, i did....okay dad...i gotta go." Kai said before cutting the call. He grabbed his laptop and the box from earlier caught his eyes again. What was it he wondered, but he left the room just glancing at it again.


"May I come in?" Kai askwd knockibg the door.

"Come... Come..." Cata said standung near the cabinet.

"Coffee?" Cara asked to which Kai said "Yes please."
 
Kai was already done arranging the documents as Cara finished making coffee.

"Let me quickly finish it, i will help you." Cara said before stating her eork.


It was quater past three when Kai finally stood up and streched. 

"Why don't you go take a nap, i am almost done i will wind off yours." Cara said looking at him.

"I am already done, i even emailed you the report." Kai winked.

"For real."Cara asked unbeileivbly.

"Now you know... I am handsome,charming and talented.... Wait wait....are you falling for me..." Kai said in a flaterious way.

"S.H.U.T. U.P" Cara said rolling her eyes.

"Okay jokes aside, let me see where can i help." Kai said coming near Cara.

"it's ok, I am almost done." Cara said before engulfing herself in her work.

It took Cara another fidteen minutes to wind off her work, she opened the file Kai sent earlier, she was impressed would be an understatement. Deep down she knew Kai was talented, but she could not imagine he was this talented. The way he made the presentation it was nearly perfect and neat. A smile crept on her lips. She turned around the see Kai sleeping on the couch. Unconsciously she walked to him and kneeled before his face. It was the first time she was watching hus face, thus close. She could hardly comprehend the versions of Kai. He is the one who teases her the most, he flirts, he makes her angry, he irritates her. In the other hand, he is the only one who has seen the version of Cara noone else did, not even Pari, he has seen her cry, her vulnerability, her family problems, her true self. He has been there, whenever she needed someone, whenever she was breaking, he picked  her up. He stood by her muktiole times. Cara was afraid of what he was becoming to her. She was scared he was becoming too important for her. That she was starting to depend on him. It scared her, it really did.