Chapter 6

Blurred Line

 

 

This chapter might be triggering to few people, It has some mentions domestic voilence. read if you are comfortable. 

 

 

 

His mom was really happy that day. Finally she was going to India after so many years. It was not like she could not afford to buy plane tickets, but she loved sea. She wanted to enjoy her new year’s eve surrounded by water, only if she knew, the bye she was bidding her husband and her 8yrs old boy, would not be able to return with another hello.

Kai remembered that day too clearly. He could not forget even once. After that day his dad and him, tried their best to be strong in front each other. They stood as pillars for each other, none of them learned to lean. Kai wanted to come to India, because her mom could not. He wanted to live her dreams.

His dad and him, came to India on a new year’s eve, when he was 18, it’s been 7 years. It wasn’t easy for him to persuade his Dad. If only it wasn’t only for the branch of ‘Aloe’ in India, which was celebrating its 25th anniversary, his Dad would not have come to India either. Kai technically blackmailed his dad over his studies to bring him along.

 

That day he could not afford to stand on the cruise. It was the same date, on the same sea, under same circumstances; he lost his mom, few years ago. The sea that gulped his mom down, the night that seemed darker than usual threatened Kai to eat him off. Even alcohol was not helping. He had been drinking since the moment, he was on boat, and he does not know why in the first place he came here?  It’s been more than 3 hours, now he had lost the count of how much he drank. He knew his dad was busy, he would barely notice him doing that. Kai could not bear it anymore. He wanted to go back, he needed to.

 

Sitting in front of sea, Kai sighed, hoping that those dry sands will hold him up, so he won’t sink down anymore. Just like the endless waves falling down and losing their existence at foot of the sand, Kai hoped his tears could. It was hard for him to cry and vent it on. He was always taught to be strong; he could not afford to be weak. But he wished for just a day he could. He wished he could yell and cry it all out.

Hours were passing as if years. He was just about to leave before his dad would find out. He heard someone yelling from a distance. He panicked and ran to see if the person was okay. He saw a girl; perhaps she did not have a good day either. Kai does have memories of that day in fragments. He remembered that he rescued her, as she ran to the sea. He remembered he talked with her about his other. He remembered he showed her the ring. He remembered they kissed.

 

Kai found himself on his hotel room the next day. Perhaps his dad found him. But what happened to that girl, was she left alone? Kai’s head was bursting with pain. As he went to bathroom to get freshen up, he saw his pendant was missing. He could not have lost it, did he? Hoping to find it on bed, he ran to the bed to look for it desperately. His head felt like bursting open. For a moment his heart stopped. But he was not going to lose hope. He will find it no matter what.

 

The rising sun has changed into the setting one. The clock was implying it was time to go. Their flight was in an hour. Kai felt his heart shrink. He hated sea, now he hates it even more.

 

“Where were you?” His dad asked as he entered their hotel room.

“Dad…” Kai called his father and tears started to form in his eyes. He did not remember when, was the last time he cried in front of his dad. But today he wanted to. His eyes gave up holding tears off.

 

“Dad, I lose it. I lose …” Kai could not finish the line.

“Your dad will find it for you, don’t worry.” Mr. Kim said hugging his son.

 

Kai clearly remembered the ring his dad gave him after few days was fabricated, only if his dad knew he had engraved a ‘K’ in the back of the ring. It was exactly the duplicate of the former one. Kai pretended to not know because he knew his dad. He knew he would have given his best still he did not find it. Kai tried to accept that ring, but could he? No. How could he when he knew it was not? Well he wasn’t a kid to hurt his father either. He accepted that ring thinking, his father bought it for his mom but just could not give it to her.

He would lie if he said he had not given up. He did. He never expected to come across the person he met that day; he did not even remember that face. It was least expected that person could be someone so close.

 

But it was hard to read Cara’s expressions, she looked scared. She looked tensed, does she perhaps knew everything from the start? It was possible that Cara remembered Kai’s face. It was not impossible for Cara to possess that ring till now but did she perhaps throw it? Or lose it? Kai had so many things going on in his head. He knew he looked pathetic now but did he care? No.

 

“Cara…. Listen….That horrible day, I … I can’t forget, bu...T you lo…ok like… a hope…. Just tell me once; you have the ring, pleaseeee…” Kai could not control his tears anymore. He did not care anything other than the ring.

 

“I do…” Cara said in a whispering tone. She at least was not a selfish person. I will return it to you tomorrow.

“I am leaving.” Cara wanted to say so many things but she could not, she did not know how to.

As Cara opened the door, Kai called her from behind.

“Am I asking for too much if I ask you to bring it now?” Kai looked desperate.

“No... You are not; it’s yours to begin with.”

 

Kai ran to Cara and took her into a tight hug. “Thank you, thank you so much. I knew you are the best.”

 

“Oh so this is why you ran from home.” A woman in her mid 50’s told in a harsh tone.

“Mom…”Cara looked behind to find her mother in front of her door.

“Aunty it’s not like that…” Kai tried to explain but Cara’s mom hushed him showing her to put a finger on his lips.

“I am waiting here for you for more than half an hour. I kept on calling you like insane. Here you are…doing stuffs like this…”

“Let’s talk inside.” Cara said holding her mother’s hand.

“What? Are you embarrassed right now?” Her mom said releasing her hand from her.

“I did not do anything wrong.” Cara said in a not so nice tone.

“Look at you…” her mom sighed and slapped her face with her full strength.

“What are you doing?” Kai butted in.

“What? Do you think I can’t slap you?” Her mom said glaring at her.

“Mom, he is a colleague. Please.” Cara said looking at her in eyes.

“Come home with me, right now.” Her mom tried to drag her.

“I don’t have a home.” Cara said freeing her hand from her grip.

“You think you are still 16? You are rebelling? You still want us to teach you how to behave?” Cara’s mother said lifting her hand for another slap.

“I know she is your family but if she is going to use violence like that I am going to call police over here.” Kai said looking at Cara.

“Hmm... hmm bring it on… my husband is a lawyer, do you think, I will let you go like this? I will make sure you regret messing with me. You think you will survive if I say you molested her?”

“MOM……” Cara almost yelled.

“Just touch her with one finger and I will talk with you.” Kai said holding Cara’s hand.

“Who are you to order me around?” Her mom said separating their hands.

“Are you coming with me nicely or do you want me to your dad over here.” Cara’s mom said glaring at Cara.

“I am coming… stop this drama.” Cara said sighing deeply.

“Rhino….” Kai called.

“I will deal with it.” Cara said looking at Kai.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Do you love that boy?” Cara’s dad asked to which Cara stayed silent.

“Yes or no, I asked?” He repeated.

“No…” Cara said bluntly.

“What else I was expecting from you?” Cara’s mom said rolling her eyes.

“Does he work at that company?” Her dad again asked.

“He does.” Cara answered straight.

“Aish….” Cara’s mom stumped her feet on ground.

 

“I don’t think there is any need to let them meet before hand, I will meet with Mr. Shah tomorrow to talk about the marriage directly. Tell her to resign from that company as soon as possible.”

“What if I deny? What are you going to do? Are you going to beat me up? Like you used to do, huh? Even if you do, I am not agreeing to any of them. Neither I am getting married nor am I leaving my job.” Cara almost yelled.

“If my son’s future gets in trouble because of your daughter’s stubbornness, just as I told you, it’s over between us.” Cara’s father said before leaving.

“Please… I know I am being selfish but I can’t live without him, please.” Cara’s mom joined her hand in front Cara and made a pranam pose with tear filled eyes.

“It’s good that you know; you are being selfish.” Cara said to which she held Cara’s hands.

“Listen, just leave that company and get married, you are not a child to play around. After marriage you can work at his company, I will ask dad to beg them to let you work.” Cara’s mom said to which Cara was dumbfounded.

“Why do you think I need permission from someone to continue my job? And why do you think I will marry someone I don’t love?” Cara asked her mom.

“So… you have someone you love?” Cara’s mom asked to which Cara said a clear No.

“THEN WHAT’S THE PROBLEM HERE? WHY CAN’T YOU MARRY AS WE SAY? ITS ALL FOR YOUR SAKE.” Cara’s mom yelled at top of her tone.

“Oh… surely I can see, how it is for my sake.” Cara said sarcastically.

“You denied when I said to let your brother join your company, you are denying this too? How much patience do you think your dad has? Is not it fair for him to get angry at us; at you and me? Please do it for my sake.”

“I am not doing it. Why are you so pathetic mom? He is no god. Why do you think you can’t live without him? I can give you a much better life than this hell. You also know you are suffering. You just won’t agree.” Cara said in frustration.

“If that’s what you want, then look what I am going to do.” Cara’s mom said running inside the kitchen. She took a knife in her hand and made a deep cut in her wrist.

“MOM…..” Cara called and ran to her but it was late, the blood was all over the area and her mother has already unconscious in her arms.