Chapter 5

Blurred Line

“Go open the door.” Cara said to Pari as the door bell was being pressed multiple times since last five minutes and disturbing their sleep.

“It’s your house so it’s you who should go, now go.” Pari said.

“You should think that before crashing here on daily basis, whose house is it.” Cara said getting up making a face as if she was going to kill Pari right there.

“Seriously at 8 in the morning, that too during my weekend?” Cara said walking out of her bed.

“Surpriseeeeeeeee…… don’t tell me you were sleeping till now.” Jong-in said in a mocking voice.

“Any way, may I come in?” Cara was asked by him.

“No, I don’t take visitors at 8 in the morning.” Cara said trying to close the door but Jong-in managed to hop in before that.

 “How did you even know I live here?” Cara said as he helped himself on the couch of living area.

“Fairyyyyyy?” He was surprised would be an understatement.

“Good morning….. Well I guess you two have gotten closer than I thought.” Pari said smiling awkwardly.

“Yeah we are very very close.” Cara said looking at Pari in a sarcastic tone but seemed like Jong-in misunderstood her.

“No no….its not like that, our friendship is over now Rhino.” Jong-in panicked and said the last part in a whispering tone.

“Fairy, it’s really not like that, we are just friends, say something Rhino.” Jong-in said glaring at Cara.

“I never said we are more than friends, you just have a dirty head.” Cara said swinging a strand of her hair backwards.

“I came to invite you to my house warming party, but now I have changed my mind.” Jong-in said standing up.

“I am leaving.” He said angrily.

“Go and we are no more friends.” Cara warned.

“Let’s say that. It’s not like you ever wanted to be friends with me.” Jong-in said going to the door. Hurt was visible in his voice.

“Say another word and I will break your legs before you set a foot outside.” Cara said going to him.

“Go back to your seat. Both of you: leave after having breakfast. I want to be alone.” Cara said and went inside the kitchen.

“Let her, she is weird.” Pari said smiling.

“Anger suits Rhino, doesn’t it?” He said going back to his seat.

“What else suits her?” Pari asked cupping her face herself.

“Ummm… her fuzzy hairs, her snickers, pencil on her ear when she draws, what else? Yes, yes… her combination of eyes with her nose. They suit each other perfectly.”

“So… in all, everything suits her?” Pari said giggling.

“She acting cute is a horrible thing to experience, I pity her partner. Not to mention , which always mocks me, I doubt in this one month span, since I know her, if she has ever talked to me sweetly.” He said rolling his eyes.

“Let me tell you a secret, she is a total sweet-heart. It’s just that she is scared of being soft, trust me she has been through a lot and she is a really strong woman.” Pari said smile never leaving her face.

“I can see she is kind of a hedgehog. To be honest I did not think much while naming her Rhino, but when I come to think of it, it suits her perfectly, Just like those animals who are scared but wanted to be cared, still acts as if they wants to be alone. Is not she like that?” Jong-in keep on saying and unknown to him there was a smile on his face.

“You like her more than I thought.” Pari said with dreamy eyes.

“I came to like her a lot as a person, but I like you more.” He said giving a flirtatious smile.

 

“So do you live nearby?” Pari asked Jong-in completely ignoring what he said.

“I shifted to the room next to it. I wanted to give her a surprise. I did not know you as well live here.” He said starching his back of neck shyly.

 

“I don’t, I just crash here sometimes.” Pari said smiling brightly.

“You should crash here often then, you know, sleeping over with a friend is fun. I was never able to have such close friends back then.” Jong-in said returning the smile.

“Tell me about your family back in Korea.” Pari asked.

“I only have a dad. I lost my mom when I was a child in an accede…..” Jong-in was cut off by a sound coming from kitchen. It was sort of sound from breaking something like a plate or glass. Jong-in rushed to the source of that sound without completing his line. Pari followed her.

“Damn, can you be a little careful, you are bleeding. Stop cooking if you are going to hurt yourself like this.” He panicked.

“Pari, can you please bring me the first aid box.” He said in a loud voice.

“It’s nothing. Don’t make a big deal out of it.” Cara protested. Jong-in’s glare was enough to shut her off.

“Stay still, will you.” He said as he was applying medicine on her toes, which were hurt from the plate which fell on them. Cara couldn’t help but felt a weird rush of emotions. As soon as she realized them, she wiped them off.

“I will go clean the mess.” Pari excused herself.

“Be careful.” Jong-in said to her.

“Are you on periods?” Cara asked him trying to suppress her laughter.

“Huh?” He asked confused.

“Why are you being so sensitive since morning?” Cara asked.

“I would not have reacted that way, if you had not said about breaking our friendship. Is it not a big deal for you at all?” Jong-in said looking at her.

“I might be very annoying, I might be a big flirt, but I take people and emotions very seriously, Rhino.” Jong-in said without looking her eyes, but Cara could feel the depth of the words in his eyes even without looking at him.

“I will go buy breakfast, tell me what do you want to have?” Jong-in said as Pari came to sit near Cara.

“Breakfast is almost ready. Don’t bother buying anything.” Cara said standing up.

“Where do you think you are going?” Pari said glaring at her.

“Help me serve breakfast, ma’am.” Cara said sitting down.

“She is cute, isn’t she?” Jong-in said making dreamy eyes.

“Here he goes.” Cara rolled her eyes.

 

 

“I never expected you to be such a good cook Rhino.” Jong-in said taking a bite from the Upma.

“Pass me the salt Jong-in.” Pari said to him.

“Why don’t you guys call me Kai when we are off work?” Jong-in suggested.

“Cool… that’s a nice name by the way.” Pari said smiling.

“Why bother remembering so many names.” Cara said without looking at him.

“Ignore.” Kai and Pari said in unison.

 

 

“So… both of you are invited to my little house warming party.” Kai said in a formal tone.

“I am too lazy going anywhere on weekends. I only want to eat and sleep.” Cara said waving her hands.

“You just need to go four steps from your door.” Pari said crossing her arms.

“NO WAY….” Cara said looking at Kai in utter surprise.

“We are neighbors now.” Kai smiled showing his perfect teeth.

“Don’t you dare to disturb me in my free time. Oh god… I am doomed.” Cara sighed.

“Why else do you think I became your neighbor?” Kai smirked.

 

 

“Your house looks so neat, I did not expect it.” Pari said as she and Cara entered Kai’s house in evening.

“Thank you.” Kai said smiling.

“Is it only 3 of us?” Cara asked to which Kai nodded.

“Sky, a friend of mine ditched me for his girlfriend. He said he has a date.” Kai said pouting.

“He made a good choice.” Cara instantly commented.

“Ah it hurts.” Kai said making a fake hurting expression.

“Stop hurting his poor heart.” Pari said in his defense.

“Did you prepare some food or not? I am hungry.” Cara said ignoring them.

“I did of course. Come inside.”

“What the hell?” Cara was beyond surprise to see the whole table filled with foods.

“Are you sure, it’s for three persons?” Cara asked.

“I can order more if you want.” Kai said taking out his phone.

“Stupid fellow, even 10 people won’t be able to finish it.” Cara said sitting down.

“Oh, so it’s more than enough.” Kai said with relief.

“Actually I did not know what you would like so I ordered everything on menu.” Kai said scratching his back of neck.

“You sure do have a lot to spend.” Pari commented before sitting for food.

“I will enjoy the food. Thank you.” Pari said before taking a good bite from pizza.

Not after very long Pari got a call from home. She excused herself out.

“I am really sorry guys, I need to leave. I got something to do.” Pari said coming back after talking on the phone.

“Is everything alright?” Cara asked to which she nodded.

“Let me drop you off.” Kai asked.

“It’s okay, I drove here so I will go back myself.” Pari said bidding bye.

 

“Let me do the dishes.” Cara offered.

“It’s okay. I will do it later. You are guest today.” Kai said putting the plates in the sink.

“What guests, we are friends.” Cara said to which Kai could not help but smiled.

“Then let me put the remaining foods in the fridge.” Kai said.

 

As both of them were done with the kitchen work, they went to the living area.

“I should leave.” Cara said smiling.

“Why are you leaving already? We have not even started the party yet.” Kai made a pout.

“It’s just 8. Stay a little longer. You are just next door, please.” Kai said showing his puppy eyes.

“Fine, stop acting cute.” Cara said sitting down.

“Did you just call me cute?” Kai’s eyes were twinkling.

“Did I? I don’t think I did.” Cara said smiling.

“Don’t lie, don’t lie.” Kai kept on pestering.

“Do you have any plans or should I  leave?” Cara asked Kai.

“Of course I do. But before that, would you like some Ice-creams?” Kai asked to which Cara smiled.

“Is that even a question?” Cara asked showing her perfect set of teeth.

“Here” Kai gave her a cup of ice cream.

“Thank you.” Cara thanked him.

 

“So, should we play games?” Kai asked.

“Are you in elementary school?” Cara laughed.

“I am sure, you don’t want adult stuff, do you?” Kai said coming close to her.

“You sure wanna get hit.” Cara said stepping on his leg.

“Ouch… that hurts rhino-head.” Kai cried.

“Serves you right.” Cara said.

 

 

 

“So do you wanna play twenty questions?” Kai asked.

“I am sure both of us have something we can’t share. So why play a game where we can’t be honest?” Cara replied.

“Then suggest something.” Kai asked.

“How about ‘choose not to answer’?” Cara said.

“Oh, in which you get a punishment for not answering?” Kai asked.

“Yup… Let’s see who has more secrets.” Cara said smirking.

 

 

“You first.” Kai said to Cara.

“Most humiliating moment.” Cara asked instantly as if she has the script ready.

“I farted in front of my crush.” Kai said rubbing his forehead.

“Yuck… When was it?” Cara asked.

“Is that your second question?” Kai asked.

“Oops you ask.” Cara replied.

“Your first love.” Kai asked.

“I choose not to answer.” Cara said.

“Then send me your childhood picture. A ugly one.” Kai said showing his phone.

“It does not count as punishment.” Cara said.

“IT DOES.” Kai protested.

“I am not playing.” Cara said getting up.

“Ah seriously… you are no fun.” Kai said in a irritated tone.

“Change the punishment.” Cara said instead.

“Only this time.” Kai warned to which Cara hummed.

“Sing me a lullaby.” Kai said to which Cara face palmed herself.

“Seriously, fine. Don’t curse me when you lose your ears.” Cara said.

 

“I’m calling sweetie sweetie,

Where did sweetie go?

Here, middle of sea blue,

Holding a fishing bow!

Sweetie, baby; come out

You will catch a cold,

Mom will buy you big fish,

Will make you yummy stew.” Cara sang in a voice which was not so bad to hear but for a moment Kai seemed to freeze.

 

“I’m calling sweetie sweetie,

Where did sweetie go?

Here, middle of sea blue,

Holding a fishing bow!

Sweetie, baby; come out

You will catch a cold,

Mom will buy you big fish,

Will make you yummy stew.”

 

 

This song was not a new melody to Kai’s ear. It was the song, sang by his mother only, it was a made up one. How could Cara know it? Cara could not be the girl from new years’ eve, could she?

 

“Do you like sea?” Cara asked and Kai came out of his imagination world.

“I don’t.” Kai answered without wasting another second, it was if he was eager to ask another question.

“Did you ever cry by the sea?” Kai’s throat felt dry when he asked it.

“I choose no….” Cara could not finish the line and Kai said again. “ANSWER It, pleaseee.”

“I did.” Cara felt weird as how the answer came out of .

“Do you perhaps have my MOM’s ring.” A tear roll down Kai’s cheek as he asked it.

“huh?” Cara was confused.

“On tha…t     d..ay    did    y..oo…uu    perh…aps     fou….nd    a ring    with a    chain……? On new year’s day 2015.” Kai asked but words were finding it hard to come out of his throat. He knew hope was a hard thing to deal with.

 

“Are … you….. him?” Cara wanted to ask but she could not breathe anymore. All she wanted to do was to run away.