Chapter 7

Blurred Line

 Kai was worried was really an understatement. He was kind of feeling helpless when he found Cara’s phone on his couch. He frustratingly ran his hand over his hair. “This stupid girl!” He murmured under his breath. “It’s all because of me.” He blamed himself. “What do I do? I can’t even call Pari at this hour, but?” After hesitating he finally dialed Pari’s number but it was switched off. Kai felt his breath ache. Even after trying multiple times, Pari was still unreachable.

At time like this He could think of only one person, his father.

Not wasting any other second, he instantly dialed his father’s number.

“Sir will call you back after few minutes. He is in board meeting, sir.” His dad’s secretary answered his phone.

“I really need to talk to dad, please.” Kai said trying not to sound anxious.

“I will tell him right now sir, please hold on.”

 

“Are you alright son?” Mr. Kim asked in a worried tone.

“Yes dad I am fine but I need a help, please don’t deny.” Kai said like begging.

“You are scaring me, speak up.” Mr. Kim said being more worried.

“Dad can I have access to company employee details?” Kai asked in desperation.

“Why do you need that?” Mr. Kim asked.

“A friend of mine is in danger, I need her address.” Kai said.

“What kind of danger? I will ask someone else to help her, don’t get involved with danger.” Mr. Kim said being paranoid.

 

 Kai explained everything of what happened with Cara and her mother.

 

“What’s her name again?” Mr. Kim asked.

“I am texting you her name and department, please hurry.” Kai send before hanging up.

 

 

As Kai got her address, he rode his bike to reach their as soon as possible. It barely took him 15 minutes.

 

Kai felt his spine freeze when he reached Cara’s home and found the door open. Cara’s dress was soaked in blood and she sat there like a statue. Kai ran to her and held her arms.

“Why are you like this, hey…hey … Cara?” Kai said in panic. His limbs and lips were already trembling.

“Cara?” Kai shook her after searching her any sort of injuries, there were none. Kai could breath.

 

Cara looked at Kai finally. Her eyes looked numb. She could not speak anything. Kai fetched her glass of water. After taking a

Sip her eyes became wet. She covered her face with her palm and started sobbing. Kai hugged her tightly. Kai could do nothing more.

“Can you take me to my mom?” Cara said hugging Kai back. “Please…” She added at last.

 

“I will… but should not you change first?” Kai asked looking at her. At this moment Kai guessed it is her mother who was injured but he knew he has no right to ask what happened, at least not when Cara was in such a state. Although he wanted to know how she is, what happened, he could not ask, because he should not ask.

“Let me take you home, Change your clothes first then let’s go to your mom.” Kai said holding Cara’s arms.

“I want to see mom, they won’t tell me where she is. I told them, but they did not take me with them.” Cara said and started crying again.

“Why is it me always? It’s not fair.” Cara said between her sobs.

“Do you have any idea, where they could go? What is the nearest one?” Kai asked.

“May be City hospital or to Mr. Gupta’s clinic. The nearest one is Meera hospital though, I don’t know.” Cara said holding her head in frustration.

“Okay, calm down, We will find out where they are, give me your father’s number.” Kai said.

Cara dialed her father’s number on Kai’s phone and wiped her tears.

 Kai send the number to his Dad’s secretary and called him.  “Uncle, please help me finding out the location of this number.”

 

“They have a patient with them just tell me where they are, as soon as possible.” Kai said before hanging up.

 

“Sir its City hospital, I could not locate the room number though.” Kai got a call in no time.

“It’s okay, thanks. Keep it a secret from dad.” Kai said before hanging up.

“Cara, change into something clean, I will take you there.” Kai said caressing Cara’s head.

“First, Mom.” Cara said being inpatient.

“I just want to see if she is okay, please.” Cara almost cried.

“Okie put it on and come out.” Kai said lending her his hood.

 

 

 

Cara’s eyes could not hold tears as she saw her mother lying on the white bed in that condition. She could not even bring herself to go in. She just looked at her mother from distance outside the glass door.

“Let’s go.” Cara said to Kai.

“You are not going inside?” Kai asked.

“I am not welcomed there.” Cara said walking out of the hospital.

“You ran here like crazy to see her, Rhino.” Kai said sounding little angry. Cara just looked at him and smiled.

“I don’t….belong there.” Cara said in a void tone.

“Still, what does your heart says? Do you really want to leave?” Kai asked holding Cara’s wrist.

“I know it’s a stupid idea, but I am going to do it.” Saying this Cara ran to her mother’s room. She opened the door but she still could not bring herself to go inside.

“Why the hell, are you here?” her mother’s husband asked her. “Get lost please; I don’t want to see your face.” He barked.

“I am here to see her.” Cara said in a not so confident tone.

“Oh after how badly you wished her to sleep in a graveyard rather than this hospital bed? I don’t understand how you could even know we are here.” He said in a frustrated tone.

“I will leave once she wakes up.” Cara said trying to stay calm.

“Oh I promise you Sweetie, if I see mother daughter drama here, I will make sure you do exactly what I want, it for your betterment, that you leave. You are well aware how obedient your mother is. She loves me to death and she will die if I ask her once. She thinks awe me her life.” Cara’s step dad said like giving a warning.

“She does not. She does not awe you ANYTHING… Do you understand? You only use her, you harass her mentally, you are worse than her ex-husband.”  Cara almost yelled.

“Yell again and I will show you what harassment means?” He said holding Cara by her jaw.

“I dare you to put a finger on her again.” Kai barged into the room and pushed his hand away from him.

“Oh… you brought your sweet heart.” Mr. Park said in an angry tone.

“Whoever I am, I won’t let you touch her.” Kai glared at Mr. Park’s eyes.

“Take her and go out immediately, before I call security.” Mr. Park said pointing his finger at door.

“Do you want to wait, if you do, no one can stop you, I promise.” Kai asked Cara in a slow tone.

“What should I do?” Cara asked looking at Kai, a drop of tear roll down her face.

“Let’s wait until she wakes up.” Kai said pulling Cara to sit with him on the couch.

“I was not going to but, you forced to me to do it Cara. I am going to report police that you attempted to murder my wife.” Mr. Park said coming near her.

“I did not do it and you know it very well.” Cara said in a loud tone.

“Well, I do, no one else does. Do you think your mother will disobey me if ask her this as a favor?” Mr. Park said is a slow voice.

“Well I am sure, she will. She is a mother after all.” Kai said going near him.

“Who the hell are you to mess with my family matters?” Mr. Park asked in a pissed voice.

“You are barely qualified to know who I am. Plus I have always been a nosy brat. Are you going to report that too? Go ahead... Go ahead…” Kai said in a voice like giving a warning.

“Let’s get out of here, Kai. Cara said holding Kai’s hand.

“Do you really want to?” Kai asked looking at her.

“I do.” Cara said looking back at him.

“Let’s go.” Kai said opening the door.

It was a moment of silence between them for few moments before Cara spoke up.

“I am sorry for dragging you into all these.” Cara said little awkwardly.

“That why friends exist, don’t they?” Cara was asked by Kai.

“It’s really late already. You should go back home.”  Cara said wearing a smile.

“Are not you coming with me?” Kai asked getting up.

“I need some alone time. I hope you understand.” Cara said looking down, without meeting Kai’s eyes.

“I do. But please get some sleep and if anything happens please call me, here.” Kai said giving Cara her phone.

 

 

 

 

 

Kai got up a little late than usual, after finishing his routine he opened the door to look for Cara. But he found a box hanging on his door knob, wrapped in a gift wrapper. Holding that box in his hand he went to ring the doorbell of Cara but no one answered. He assumed Cara has already left, keeping that gift box in his pocket he drove to office.

 

As Kai entered the office he started searching for Cara. As she was not in her cabin, he searched for her in Pari’s cabin. She was not there either, neither was Pari.

“Where did everyone go?” Frustratingly Kai kicked the door.

“What are you doing here, should not you be in the meeting room?” a crew member from the marketing team said Kai.

“Wait what? Holy crap! ” Kai exclaimed remembering the text from yesterday. An urgent meeting was scheduled today. As the time he reached the meeting room everyone was leaving already. Awkwardly Kai bid ‘Hi’ to few people before making his way towards Cara. Cornering her he asked, “Are you okay?”

“Yup. I’m all okay.” Cara answered almost instantly.

“Why? Was she having an upset stomach from yesterday’s feast? Don’t tell me you had a lose motion.” Pari joked coming near them.

“I have a great digestive system, unlike someone.” Cara answered rolling her eyes.

“Oops! I thought you were a human.” Pari clicked her tongue at Cara.

“Oh yes Kai, I saw your calls this morning, I hope it was not something urgent, you literally called more than 15 times. My cell was out of battery.” Pari asked Kai and Kai noticed Cara was nodding her head negatively. He assumed Cara did not want Pari to know about yesterday night’s events.

“I was dared to call you until you pick up.” Kai lied.

“Seriously! Wow.” Pari exclaimed sarcastically.

“You are really unbelievable.” Pari laughed then after.

“I know I am the best.” Kai said showing his perfect teeth.

“Enough of your chit chat, let’s get to work.” Cara said to Pari.

“Oh yes, let me arrange the files, we need to leave in an hour.” Pari said bidding them a bye.

“Where are you going?” Kai asked Cara as he walked along her.

“There is a new deal. We are going to persuade a model for that.” Cara said as they entered her cabin.

“Oh, take me with you, girl never say no to me.” Kai winked.

“I guess you don’t have any work, I should assign you more work then.” Cara said with a smile.

“I suddenly remember Sky was calling me to help him with something, I will be right back.” Kai escaped making an excuse.

 

 

After a while Cara heard a knock on her door, “Come in” she said.

“Look, I brought you a pastry, have some before you leave.” Kai said keeping a packet on Cara’s desk.

“Thank you, but I am already late and work is piled up.” Cara said while still looking through some files.

“This can wait. It’s more important to eat.” Kai said stopping Cara from whatever she was doing.

“Kai, stop it, I still have a presentation to make. I have no time to spare.” Cara said looking at Kai.

“You sure do. How about we make a deal here. You finish your food, I finish your work.

“Don’t you dare to mess with my files…” Cara warned him.

“Don’t you trust me Rhino?” Kai pouted.

“Definitely not.” Cara said instantly.

“Now step aside and let me do my work.” Cara pushed him and continued to do his work.

“You break my heart every time.” Kai pouted. “Fine, I have my way.” Kai took a spoonful and took it near .

“What are you doing?” Cara asked looking at him.

“I am feeding a little girl. Aaann…” Kai said opening his own mouth.

“You really got no work, when I was doing my internship, I did not even get time to eat myself.” Cara said rolling her eyes.

“That’s because you are always hard on yourself.” Kai said looking at her. His look was somewhat soft.

“You are going to keep bothering me, right?” Cara said sighing deeply.

“Cara, eat.” Kai said in a soft tone this time. Cara could not help but took the bite.

“See I told you no girls call denies me.” Kai said winking.

“Kai…” Cara looked at him angrily.

“Okie sorry… Sorry… I won’t talk now.” Kai said putting a finger on his lips.

 

“See what a mess, you really are a child, let me wipe your mouth.” Kai said after feeding her, as a little cream was on .

“It’s you, who fed me, for your kind information.” Cara replied in an instant.

 

Pari found it a perfect time for entering the room. She was at the door for few moments.

 

“Oh my! You guys are pretty close now. Aren’t you?” She teasingly asked.

“May I have this coke?” She asked after getting a savage glare from Cara.

“Yes please.” Kai said giving her the can.

“Feed your beloved crush, I am off to go.” Cara said holding her laptop. Pari choked her coke and Kai gave Cara a death glare. “Careful…” He said looking at Pari then.

“Your crush would not like it, how a boy feeds you…” Pari said sticking her tongue at Cara. Cara ignored her and went towards the door.

“She has a crush? OMG… who is it?” Kai asked excitedly.

“A mermaid from sea; who stole her first kiss.” Cara halted, hearing Pari, “Screw you Pari.” She murmured under her breath, while turning around to stop , before she speaks more.

Instead Kai asked “Was that your first kiss?”