Meeting Wheein

Fire Made Flesh

After a long day of listening to people’s complaints, it was finally time to head out and meet Jung Wheein.  

 

She had been debating sending a messenger beforehand to let Wheein know, but she figures she’ll know more based on Wheein’s reaction if she shows up uninvited. 

 

“Ready to go?” Hyejin asks after the last person left, 

 

They walk the streets, many people coming up, thanking her for freeing them.  Youngsun smiled and shook all their hands, stopping to talk to a few of them. Hyejin walks a few step behind, close enough to protect her, but far enough so that the people can meet her without getting scared.  The assassin was smiling gently  upon seeing the love the people have for the dragon rider. 

 

“We’re heading to Jung Wheein’s place,” Youngsun told a person she’s talking to, 

 

Close to Hyejin, a man mutters to his friend, “Moon Byulyi’s girl,”

 

Hyejin glance over and move a bit closer subtly to eavesdrop, 

 

“Hm?” his friend reply, 

 

“Wheein is Moon Byulyi’s girl,”

 

“They’re together?”

 

“Who ing knows, it’s Byulyi.  But think about it, of all the ex-slave, the queen is visiting the one who’s closest to Byulyi.”

 

“What about it? I heard the queen will talk to all old slaves to properly punish the masters, and Byulyi is a master.” 

 

The man shook his head, “You don't understand, Moon Byulyi is ..” he beckon his friend closer then leaned in and whispered something that Hyejin didn’t hear.  The friend lean back in shock, eyes widened, “really? You're serious?” 

 

He nods energetically, then lean in and whispers something else. 

 

“Damn, that’s… wow. I hope the queen keeps her alive then.”

 

“We can only hope.” 

 

Hyejin narrows her eyes, making a mental note to check out who Moon Byulyi really is, because it doesn't seem like she’s just a master with some connection. She’ll need to tell Youngsun this as well. 

 

They arrive at Wheein’s close to 2 hours after they first set out, typically now is the time one finishes supper, preparing to clean up. 

 

Knock Knock.

 

A young looking man opened the door, then promptly bowed, “Your Grace!” 

 

“Hello, is Jung Wheein here?”

 

“Ye-yes your Grace!  Please, come in!”  He flusters as she ushers them in, randomly pointing at some chairs, “I’ll call her Your Grace, one moment please!”

 

Youngsun sat down with Hyejin standing next to her.  

 

The room is warm and inviting, with some paintings hanging on the wall. There’s a particularly huge painting hanging on one side of the room.  Little trinkets decorative here and there but nothing too much.

 

Youngsun privately wonders if her ex-slaves redecorated, or if this is Moon Byulyi’s.

 

“Your Grace,”  

 

Youngsun snaps out of her thought to see Wheein bowing before her, “Jung Wheein” she greet warmly

 

“Would Your Grace and..” Wheein seem to hesitate as she looks at Hyejin, “and Your Lady like some tea?” 

 

Youngsun opens to decline but Hyejin cuts in, “Yes, that would be nice.” 

 

“Of course, one moment,”  Wheein left to go make some tea, leaving the two alone again.

 

“Why?” Youngsun asks once she’s out of earshot, 

 

“I want to know what tea they have,”

 

“Why does that matter?”

 

Hyejin looks down at the queen, “I heard something interesting earlier.  I need to look more into it.”

 

“About Wheein?”

 

“Kind of, more related to your prisoner.”
 

The conversation drops as they heard footstep coming closer.  Wheein came in with three plain white cups and a plain teapot.

 

“My apologies,” Wheein said as she puts the tray down, “Byulyi - unnie is not much of a tea drinker I’m afraid, so we only have black tea.” 

 

“Thank you Wheein,” Youngsun reach for her cup, “You don't buy more tea?  Byulyi is no longer your master.” 

 

“No, your Grace.” 

 

Youngsun waited a few beats to see if Wheein would continue, but she didn't.  

 

“Right, I suppose not everyone is a fan of tea.”  

 

Youngsun waved a hand around, “these paintings must cost some coins to commission, did you purchase them?”

 

“No your Grace, I painted them.”

 

“Really?  You're very good!”

 

Hyejin cuts in, “Paint is quite expensive, from what I know.  You must be doing well for yourself as a freed woman now.”

 

“No My Lady, Byulyi-unnie bought the paint for me.”

 

“She made you paint these for her?” Youngsun asks, thinking she almost figured out their relationship.  No master is ever just nice.  Good painters are very rare and hard to find.  If this Jung Wheein can paint, and looking at the paintings, she can and she’s very good at it, it’ll make sense for Byulyi to keep her happy and treat her fairly. 

 

Wheein clench her fist, smiling a clearly fake smile, she reply, “No, Your Grace, I painted these for myself. She originally didn’t want me to put these up, it ruins the aesthetic she said.” 

 

 The girl paused as she reflect fondly back, her fake smile easing into a genty one, “She left to the market one day so I decided to put these up while she was away.” 

 

“How did she react when she got home?”

 

“She sulked, then complained, then she asked if I need more canvas.” 

 

Youngsun tilted her head, “She didn’t get mad?”
 

“I have never seen unnie mad.”

 

“Annoy then?  Or tried to take these off?” 

 

Wheein looks into her cup as she answers, “Unnie is a good person Your Grace. She’s nice and kind.  She cares for all of us here.  The only time she ever gave us a command was the day your army marches through town, and she only did it to protect us.  I know that other masters are cruel and evil, but unnie is not like them at all.  Forgive me for what I’m about to say Your Grace, but -”  she looks up and directly into the blond girl’s eyes, “from my point of view, you are the cruel one here.” 

 

“I freed you, and everyone of your fellow slaves.”

 

“You took a collar I’ve never worn and put her into it.” 

 

Seeing this was derailing fast, Youngsun switch her position, “I am sorry but that is why I am here and why I open the floor for people to come speak to me.  I don't mean to upset you Jung Wheein.”

 

Wheein simply nod.

 

The queen, seeing that this is not going as she plan, decides to pass on the message, “I talked to Byulyi yesterday.  She told me to tell you she’s sorry about your duck.” 

 

The ex-slave eyes widen as she mutters, “That unnie!  I knew it was her!”

 

“What did she do?” 

 

“She blamed the Gods.” 

 

Wheein knows what she’s really asking, but she’s trying to get them to see that Byulyi-unnie is nice.  Telling them her master ripped off a plastic duck’s head to mess with her run counter to her mission. 

 

In a rush to move on, she asks, “If I may ask, how is she?  Is she okay?  Is she in pain?  She was really hurt that day.” 

 

The queen placed hand on Wheein’s arm in comfort, “Yes, she is okay.  We have medics tending to everyone to ensure as much comfort as possible.  When I spoke to her, she seemed fine, if a bit aloof. She didn’t seem all that bothered to be honest with you. It was odd.” 

 

Wheein nods, thankful for the information, “Can I see her?” 

 

Youngsun leans back to get a good look at her.  She knows the girl is sincere, and the other slaves yesterday coming to her for Byulyi freedom is enough to convince her that Byulyi, at the very least, treats her slave with basic human respect.  She still needs her and more information on the Guild, so she can't release her yet, but she suppose letting them meet is reasonable.  

 

“Yes, come tomorrow at sun set, I will let you meet her.” 

 

Wheein beam, her dimples on full display, “Thank you Your Grace! Oh can I bring something for her too?”
 

Hyejin cuts in, not willing to risk Wheein possibly bringing a weapon to their prisoner.  Wheein doesn't seem like the type that would do that, but people go to great lengths for their loved ones.

 

“You can bring her food, but nothing else.” 

 

Wheein nods, turning her smile to Hyejin, “Thank you My Lady!” 

 

Hyejin nods, looking away to hide her blush.  Wow how can someone smile be that beautiful. 

 

Youngsun decides to ride the good feeling with Wheein, and to subtly tease Hyejin, “You have a very nice smile,”

 

The girl blushes and looks away, “Thank you Your Grace, unnie used to tell me I have the most beautiful smile ever.”

 

“She’s definitely not lying” Hyejin mutters, unfortunately for her, both of them heard.

 

“Th-thank you My Lady,” Wheein stammers out as Hyejin clears .

 

Youngsun looks between them, both looking away from each other and from her.  Taking pity on them, she stood up, “Thank you Jung Wheein, for the tea and warm welcome.  I fear we have kept you too long, we’ll take out leave now.  I’ll let Moon Byulyi know to expect you tomorrow.” 

 

“Thank you Your Grace,”  Wheein stood up and walks them to the door, “My Lady,”

 


CONCERT!! SOLAR SOLO! MARCH is PACKED and I am poor  lol