Army

Fire Made Flesh

Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Calm.  Steady.  

 

Today, she will acquire her army.  The first of her plans to reclaim her family throne. 

For the past 2 weeks, Yongsun has been in the city, blending in amongst the people - an easy feat for her considering that’s how she survive all these years. 

 

Her dragons did not like having to stay in her bag, but they understand.  Somehow.  It’s like they’re connected to her. 

 

After taking some time to see the city, talk to the people, she made the decision to acquire the slave army.

 

“And how exactly are you going to pay for an army?”  Her shadow/assassin asks, following closely behind her as they walk the streets, nose scrunching up in disdain, 

 

“I will trade,”

 

“You have nothing to trade,”

 

“I do,” 

 

Hyejin paused, then grabbed her wrist and pulled her into the nearest alleyway, checking to make sure no one was around, “Are you crazy??” 

 

“Relax, I don’t actually plan on trading them.  Once I get my army, I will command them to kill the masters, thus, freeing my dragons, then i will set them free”

 

Hyejin stares, “You really are crazy,”

 

“I hate slavery.  It’s an abomination.  All the masters who partake need to die. The whole institution needs to be burn down.”

 

“Okay, but you can’t just kill all the masters - you'd be no better than your father,”

 

“I am not my father! All these people are guilty!”

 

“Of what Your Grace?” Hyejin sneeres, “being born into the wealthy class?”

 

“Why do you care so much?” 

 

“Yongsun,” the assassin sigh, “some deserve to die, yes, but some masters are young, or they care more about wealth than bother with managing their slaves.  You cannot just kill all the masters.”

 

“Then what do you suppose I do?” 

 

Youngsun was pull from her memory when her dragon squawk, calling to her, bringing her back to the present.

 

It’s time.

 

With her dragons perch on her shoulders, and Hyejin walking slightly behind her, they made their way to the main square. 

 

Yongsun held her head high as everyone stopped and stared at the dragons. 

 

Upon arriving at the square, she noticed a lot of the masters are already there, gathering around the square, anticipating the exchange.  The princess withheld a smile.  Good, it’ll be much easier to get rid of them if they’re all here.

 

“Kim Yongsun - I have the army you desire,” one of the master on the podium greeted, however, his eyes greedily took in the sight of her dragons. They’re still small and young, about the size of a house cat.  Around their neck is a collar attached to the chain she’s holding.

 

“I see, and they will listen to me?”

“Of course, we train the best.  If you command them to die they will do so.”

 

“I see - all 10,000 men?”

 

“Yes, we are honest men here.  We will not short you, that will damage our reputation.”

 

Youngsun simply smile, trying to hide her disgust at the fact that these men care more about their reputation than other humans.

 

“Then we have a deal,”  Yongsun declare, rolling her shoulders to signal her dragon to fly.  She walks up the the man, who gleefully lusts after her dragon.  He handed over the whip and she handed him the chain holding the dragons.

 

“It’s done then?”

“Yes!  You have your army and I have my dragons.  Feel free to stay in the city for a couple more nights,”

 

“Oh, I fully intend to,” Youngsun glance at Hyejin as the assassin move into position to secure the safety of her dragons, 

 

“Formation!” She yells as her army raises up their shields and swords, 

 

“Slay all the old masters! Capture all the young ones! Strike off every chain on every slave you see!” 

 

“Wh - “ the master who has her dragon gurgling in his own blood as Hyejin slit his throat and free the dragons. 

 

Yongsun’s  new army, now under her command, acted immediately, first killing the masters who came to the main square to witness, with many more running to other parts of the city to do just that.

 

Amidst the chaos, Yongsun stood in the front with her two dragons flying overhead, and Hyejin right behind her, calmly looking forward as blood spilled everywhere in the street.

------------------------------------------------


 

Moon Byulyi, like many others around her, gathers at the square to see the dragons. She really can’t believe it.  They’re real! 

And the rumours were right, the princess is truly a sight to behold, with her blond hair and fair skin, standing so regally in front of the masters.  

 

When she handed over the dragons, Byulyi couldn’t believe it. 

Dragons for an army?  No way! She’d must rather have two dragons than have an army.  But to each their own, she guesses.

 

The other girl with the princess, the knight/ rumoured assassin, is fierce looking and Byulyi suppresses a shudder.  She does not want to cross her. 

 

When the command came to slay the masters, Byulyi froze for a second, not believing her ears.  It wasn’t until a scream penetrated through the silence square, the scream of a dying master, did Byulyi snap out of her shock and bolted out of there.

 

She ran through the alleyways, avoiding the main street, knowing that’s where the army will be.  They won’t check the alleyways as no sane masters would ever take these dirty paths.

 

She ran home as fast as she could, blocking out the sound of the screams.

 

“!” she screams as she felt something lodge itself into her thigh, causing her to fall down. 

 

She quickly turns around and scrambles back in fear as a soldier advances towards her, ready to deliver the killing blow. 

 

“WAIT!” 

 

The voice came from a former slave of her family, one her father freed many years ago, 

 

The soldier paused, looking at the newcomer.  In his slight hesitation, the newcomer took the chance to stab the soldier, wounding him. 

 

He ran over to help Byulyi up, “Go! Don't get near the main street! Take the back way!” 

 

The freedman urgently pushes her onward as he grips his spear rightly, eyes darting at the soldier slowly getting back up. 

 

“Thank you, I won't forget your kindness,”

Byulyi hobbled away as fast as she could amidst the chaos the city descended into.

 

She snuck in to the back of garden, banging her fists on the back door, sweaty and breathless, with blood dripping down her thigh.

 

“Unnie!”  Wheein gasps upon opening the door, rushing to help her in.

 

The other slaves there looked at her in worry.  They don't know what’s going on but they hear fighting outside.

 

Wheein attempt to sit her down to help with the wound, but Byulyi wont have it. This is too important. 

 

She pushes Wheein’s hand away and look to address the others in the room, 

 

“Go put on your collars, tell the others to do that same,” she breathe out, trying to put as much command as she can into her voice, trying to ignore the pain.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“What is happening?”

 

“We need to get you medical help first!” 

 

Her slaves reacted but she just shook her head, hobbling to the front door as she tells them, “The princess got her army and she commanded them to kill or capture the masters and free the slaves.  If they come in and see you without your collars on, they might mistake you as masters and kill you.” 

 

“What about you?” one ask, 

 

Byulyi sat down, grabbing a nearby cloth to prepare to yank the knife out, and gave her reply, “If i’m lucky, they won't kill me.  Please, go - tell the others as well! Don't lose your life over this,” 

 

They glanced at each other hesitantly, 

 

“Go! You don't have time!”  Byulyi barked, 

 

They jumped then started to run to get their collar, but not without them saying their thanks, 

 

“You’re a good person Byulyi,”

 

“We’ll plead on your behalf,” 

 

“Please don’t die,”

 

Byulyi simply nod, not wanting to look at them, afraid that it might be the last time.  She grinds her teeth and yank out the knife, whimpering in pain.

 

She way trying to stop the blood flow when another hand pressed on hers.

 

“Wheein!  What are you doing?  Didn’t you hear me?” 

 

Wheein shook her head, kneeling before her, crying as she shakingly attempted to help her friend, “I’m not leaving you to die Unnie.” 

 

“Wheein, please, get out of here”

“No! You're a good person, you don't deserve to die like the other masters”  Wheein yells back, pressing the now bloody cloth more into Byulyi.

 

“And you don't deserve to die at all!” 

 

Byulyi sighed.

 

She gently held Wheein’s face and pull it up to her so that their foreheads are touching, “Please Wheein, if not for yourself, then do it for me.  Live and be happy Wheein.  Please.” 

 

She open to reply but froze when they heard the army making it’s way down this street, they’re right outside the door.  The screams of the masters’ dying penetrated through.

“Go!”  Byulyi urgently urges, pushing Wheein away.

 

“I’ll never forgive you if you die,” Wheein hug her tightly and ran to the back, where her room is, where her slave collar is.

 

She barely snaps her collar in place when she hears the soldier breaking down the door. 

 

 Where Byulyi is.