Prologue - Moon Byulyi

Fire Made Flesh

Moon Byulyi childhood is one of comfort.  Her family is one of the more wealthy family cities, so she grew up with all anyone ever desired.  Her parents gave her everything she ever wanted.

 

Due to their wealth, they have hundreds of slaves and hired servants, all working in their home, on their fields, in their workshops, and pretty much everywhere that the Moon lives.  

 

Her parents are different from others.  Whereas other treat servant and slaves as lesser beings, (or not beings at all in the case of slaves), her parents treat them normally, with respect and dignity.  In turn, those working for her parents care for them a lot, and do their best, as to not get sent away.  

 

They also don't care that Byulyi have no desire to take over the merchant business.  They just want her to be happy and they know that the money they leave behind will ensure their daughter can live a happy and peaceful life. 

When they died, Byulyi shows her knowledge and skills by breaking up their business and entrusting it to some of her faithful servants.  In doing so, they can provide for their family, while she gets a cut of their profit without having to do the work herself.  

 

Byulyi is different than others in that she have no desire for wealth or status, she just wants enough to live a carefree life style. 

 

She’s quite popular amongst the younger crowd and quite hated by the elders.  It’s not that she does anything bad, she simply inspires her peers to seek a different lifestyle by simply being her nonchalant self. They want to follow her, so to speak, want their own dream and passion.  They don't want to follow what their parents do.  For that individualism, the elders quite hate her for giving their children “fantasies”. 

 

She’s not one to party with the others, nor does she mingle, yet, every free person in the city knows her, from the wealthiest man, to the lowest of the servants. She is quite charismatic simply by existing. 

 

Today, she’s walking about the town’s main market dressed in a loose flowing shirt and pants, more reminiscent of a sailor than a high born daughter, whistling a tune only she knows, as she mindlessly browses for some food.

 

Normally, it’s the servant’s job to purchase food and the slaves cook them, but again, Byulyi is not like others to confirm that ‘boring’ notion as she calls it. 

 

The stands owner greats her with smiles, for Byulyi is their best customer.  She doesn’t bargain. She paid whatever price she is quoted, even when knowing she’s being ripped off. 

 

“Why do you not care that they’re ripping you off?” A friend asked a few years ago, 

 

She simply shrug as she bit into her very expensive apple, “They need the money more,”

But today, she’s also here for another reason.

 

Gossip.

 

There’s been talk of an exile princess in a few cities over, who birthed dragons. 

 

Some do believe it, as the Kim were part of the old dynasty of dragons, before the fall that killed off everyone but some of the Kims. The ones that survived abandoned this land, heading for the new land across the sea, to conquer. 

 

People are interested. The rebirth of dragons means a rebirth of a kingdom.  Which kingdom, they do not know, but the believers say it’s the start of a new era.

 

Those that don't believe listen on and even throw in their own fake stories to make the rumors more extravagant. 

 

Byulyi isn’t quite sure what side she believed in, but she is highly amused with some of the more extravagant rumors, such as the one in which the dragons clawed their way up from the underworld, thirsty for the tears of humans, and only the true dragon rider, the exile princess, can calm them. 

 

“That’s be 50 coins please Miss,” 

 

Byulyi hands over the money for a very expensive peach, smiling at the shop owner in thanks, who grins back at the money he just made.  

 

 “Ma’am, did you hear about the dragons?” 

 

“Oh?” She tilt her head as she bite into the peach, “what news do you have for me?”

“They say that the exile princess have 5 dragons, and her main knight is actually an assassin, who is on a quest to convert her fellow assassins to join the conquest,” 

 

“Is that so?” she hums around her full mouth,  “And what exactly are they conquesting?”
 

The shop owner leans in and whispers dramatically, “This city,”

 

Byulyi leans back to look at that shop owner, who nods seriously and continues on, “I heard that she wants an army, and she’ll purchase them in Eastown, then will bring them here for their first battle.  You know those Eastown folks, they train their slave army to fight without actually letting them fight.  So she has to bled the new army.”

 

“Is that why you’re leaving town good Sir?”

 

“Oh yes, all rumors come from some truth, and I don't want to risk it.  I heard she plans to kill all the owners and take their money.  She’s going to use the newly owner-less slaves to work for her.” 

 

He paused and looks at Byulyi critically, “you should leave too Miss, you have enough money to settle elsewhere,” 

 

The girl simply laugh as she threw away the core of the peach, “I heard the princess is quite a sight, i would like to see for myself, and death by dragon fire is certainly a more interesting way to go,”

 

She nods at him, “I wish you all the best Sir,”

 

“Thank you Miss, I hope we can meet again,”

 

“If the stars align my good Sir,” 

 

She walks away, highly amused at the rumor.  She doesn’t believe that the princess will come here and kill everyone, but even if she does, Byulyi is quite looking forward to it. 

 

Dragons.  Who doesn’t want to see them?

 

If dragons are the last thing she sees, she’ll die happy. 

 

Lost in her thought, she arrived home without even knowing it.

 

“Mistress.” 

 

She snaps out of her thought and focus on the voice, 

 

“Jung Wheein,” she greets, then suddenly fearful, for Wheein doesn’t call her by her title in private unless she did something wrong, 

 

“It's not my fault!” 

 

Wheein crossed her arms over her chest, unimpressed, “What’s not your fault?” 

 

“Um..whatever it is you're mad about,”

 

“Which is?” 

 

“...” 

 

Byulyi strode over to her and grasp her hands, gently kissing it, “I’m sorry, whatever I did, forgive me?”  She even batted her eye for extra measure, 

 

“Yah! You're so UGH!” Wheein yank her hand bank and flop down on the nearby chair, 

 

“You agreed to a cooking lesson today!” 

 

“I did?”

 

Wheein glares got the wealthy girl to backtrack,”I mean yes, I did! Cooking! Yes!  We can do that at supper time!”

 

Jung Wheein pouted, knowing the other girl can’t resist, 

 

“I promise!  Dinner time, I will attempt to cook!” Byulyi brought up her pinky and cheekily smiles, 

 

“Fine!  But if - “

 

BANG BANG BANG 

 

Someone bangs on their door, frantic,

 

Wheein immediately step a few step behind Byulyi, her hands clasp in front of her with her head down, demure, taking her position as a slave as Byulyi went to open the door, 

 

“Yes?”

 

“Dragons! They’re here!” The newcomer, a neighbor roughly 10 or so years older than her, utter out in fastination, 

 

“The rumors?”

 

“No no! The girl is here! They’re at the main square! And she has two dragons with her!”  

 

He left immediately after, running to the next house to pass the news.

 

She gently closed the door, looking back at Wheein, with a smile stretching across her face, 

 

“Unnie..”

 

“I’ll be back by supper time, you can teach me then!” 

 

“Fine!  You better!” 

 

Byulyi grins and ran out the door, towards the princess and her dragons.